• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Trials - by Hell

Oskurito

Smash Lord
What a coincidence because I recently played a very good peach player here in Peru. The match up is pretty hard for falco, every combo and approach must be flawless or else you'll get D-smashed for a whopping 40%+ damage or worse.. you could get chain grabbed and comboed into dead. DI, spacing, mobility and laser game are very important, also you have to take full advantage of every edgeguard opportunity and try to kill peach asap. Try to avoid stages that extend peach's survivability like DreamLand 64.

I'll say is even between me and my friend the peach player, I will record some stuff with him, he'll probably help me with some footage for the video (he actually enjoys my videos and is waiting for the next one). Anyway, I think marth does the job for me in the peach match up :p I don't want to "jhon" but as a general advice: if you plan to be good at this game you should be able to play 2 or 3 characters really well.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
take full advantage of every edgeguard opportunity and try to kill peach asap.
How exactly does one edge guard peach? I've tried Dair and I get hit by the Parasol. I've tried Dsmash and even then I get hit by the Parasol. This is once she's below the edge. When he's floating or parasoling back from far away, you aren't supposed to jump out after her are you? It seems to never work

Oskurito

Smash Lord
How exactly does one edge guard peach? I've tried Dair and I get hit by the Parasol. I've tried Dsmash and even then I get hit by the Parasol. This is once she's below the edge. When he's floating or parasoling back from far away, you aren't supposed to jump out after her are you? It seems to never work
You can't hit peach with dair if you do it before she does her parasol, it'll get you everytime and probably combo into all kinds of nasty things or even hit you when you're grabbing the edge and make you bounce with the wall and kill you. To edge guard her, what I do is grab the edge and wait for her parasol and quickly drop off the edge and do a rising dair into the stage, this way you take some advantage of edge invincibility as you drop. This also depends if she has a jump or not when she gets close to the edge, because if she has a jump she may be able to intercept you with an aerial and then up + b (which could kill you if you can't react quickly enough to wall tech). Also if she's not high enough to make it into the stage with parasol you can simply edgehog her, just simply wait for her and time your roll at the right time.

If she's above the edge then it may be difficult to intercept her with an aerial, try to do so with a bair, it should kill her at high % (if not on DL, lol) or at least rack up some % but your best option is to shoot some lasers to annoy her and rack up some more %

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Small update:

I finished most of my important exams, presentations, etc. So I'll be having some more free time to record the next video, expect to see something around the end of april :)

Oh and that reminds me, I'll be doing a video guide for cunning kitsune's fox guide, so if you are interested in playing with fox stay tuned for that too.

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
is it okay to lose my marth to my new fox and falco? yes, yes it is

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Keep your marth is a very good character :)

Oh and btw people, I think I got the peach match up. Last friday the same peach player I was talking about came to my house and we played for quite a while (I used many characters, fox, c. falcon) I picked falco for the last hour or so we were playing and I was able to beat him consistently. Some of the things that I found that helped was using more f-tilt, jab, and delayed nair + shine helped to avoid any mistakes that could lead to her CCing a deadly down smash. In addition, I found that when she starts to float in mid air, you can get above her by wavedashing or quick walking (if she's very close) and then up-tilt her a couple of times, after that you can hit an up smash if she's a bit further just to rack up more % the knockback is trash but is enough to prevent her from punishing you.

Also, being very patient overall, trying to bait him via dash dancing and wavedashing around, also doing the most amount of damage with my combos (and sometimes taking a stock). I didn't have to camp lasers a lot to win, but I did shoot some just to make him come at me, bait her approach, and punish her with a combo.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Learned a few new laser tricks from this. Could u possibly make a video on falco's neutral game, such as approaches and basic techniques to get the match back into your hands. Like basic laser spacing and different ways you can start combos on your opponent. Great vids and keep up the good work.

Splice

Smash Hero
These were very helpful thankyou for making them. Hope this is not dead and you're still keen on making Vol. 4 and Vol. 5!
I appreciate your work!

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Not dead, I've just happen to be busy, have some webpages to make (I'm a freelance programmer) and I've been working on a project to get my degree. But today that ends, and next week I'll have more free time.

Splice

Smash Hero
Not dead, I've just happen to be busy, have some webpages to make (I'm a freelance programmer) and I've been working on a project to get my degree. But today that ends, and next week I'll have more free time.
Good to hear man! My uni semester work happens to end today as well.
I've felt like I've stepped it up at tournaments in the time since you first started this and after today I'll only be working on my game even more intensely. Looking forward to more guidance, and don't hesitate to include heaps on the Peach Matchup!
I've been getting destroyed by good Peach players haha

Good luck on your project!

Oskurito

Smash Lord
lol, hey guys, I'm free again, more videos coming soon, along with the rest of the falco tutorials.

Nontoxic

Smash Cadet
Commentary would be nice, but your guides seem very helpful. I'm new to Smash Bros and am trying to learn Falco, once I get more into advanced stuff I'll definitely try to use your guides to improve. Thanks!

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I'm going to reupload the video today, some copyright issues with the songs used in the video (I will change the songs), plus I get the chance to fix some typos and upload with better quality.

Thank god I didn't delete the clips on my recycle bin

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Dumb windows movie maker wont let me compile the video with 720pp. I'm going to start using adobe premiere to edit my videos, and make use of subtitle programs so I can easily fix any typo easily without having to reupload the whole thing, I can even add other languages so that's even better.

it's great that someone's making these videos, I really appreciate the work you do, man.
Thanks, comments like this one motivate me to keep working on great videos.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I too switched from Camtasia studio/Movie Maker to Premiere. It was hard to decide if I was going to learn Premiere or Vegas but it seemed Premiere would be more professional in the long run although really I think Vegas would have fit me better.

Last edited:

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
These videos are awesome! I am going to be practicing these techniques with the videos up till i get them down. Thanks for posting these.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Thanks for the support so far. I reuploaded the last video, fixed some typos/mistakes and changed the music (also edited the link in the first post)

http://youtu.be/9VoQPTZYA68

Sadly, the quality is the same. As far as video editing, Adobe Premiere is not an option for me because the program requires x64bit windows and I only have 32bit.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Thanks for the support so far. I reuploaded the last video, fixed some typos/mistakes and changed the music (also edited the link in the first post)

http://youtu.be/9VoQPTZYA68

Sadly, the quality is the same. As far as video editing, Adobe Premiere is not an option for me because the program requires x64bit windows and I only have 32bit.
My computer came with Vista 32, it was able to use 64 so I dual boot installed a W7 64bit just to use premiere

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I was gonna go with Cs4 for my 32bit, but did the 64bit for the Cs6. I can help you a bit with premiere super basics; but I need help myself

What are your next video plans?

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
What are your next video plans?
First, I need to buy a new TV that I can use freely everyday to record stuff. I couldn't buy it this month, I had to help my family pay the bills, lol. But I would get one by the end of this month for sure.

Once I get my new TV, I would start working on the falco match ups thingy I was planning (the last video of this series), for that I would use videos from other great players that illustrate the ideas I want to explain in the way they play. I will be working on a fox guide too, I kind of promised ckit to have something already but I don't so yeah... I guess I would be working on those things at the same time. They would be kind of like the "big project" kind of stuff. Also, I would like to make an entry videoclip for my channel so that I can use it on every video I make from now on.

For smaller things, I want to do a double laser (fox) and moonwalk tutorial (that hopefully solves everyone's problems), oh and that multishining video you asked me to do :p. I will probably commentate (voice) these videos while I'm recording it or at least when I edit the video.

Also, I would probably release a couple of videos kind of like the thing I did with ganon but with fox and captain falcon (or w.e other character I feel like playing). This time I would try to be some impressive stuff rather than average combos, tbh is hard to make that kind of thing since people have done basically almost everything possible nowadays.

I also have a movie kind of project in mind, but that would have to wait for next year.

And that's what I have in mind for now, if you guys have something else that you want me to do, like a video tutorial or w.e feel free to tell me here or sent a PM if you want.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I've been trying to find all the aspects about how doing perfect airborne frame aerials reduces your overall height both in SH and FH. It doesn't apply in PM, so that opens up more things to be possible with extra frames of air time: but I'm trying to think of what downsides or techniques you can apply with the reduced height thing in Melee.

With Falco if you frame perfect aerial or b-move (laser) in a FH on BF, you won't go onto the top platform; if it's not perfect though you do go on the platform.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Unrelated, but whats the song that starts at around 2:00 on your Falco technique trials Vol1. Laser tricks
Darude s.... err... this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklUNorXC7A&list=UUkAwRcT2YMLJtcvLbAvP66A

Just won my first tournament, officially the best in Lima for now.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1422692601_8afbb430877b5897ccb880cb74733167

I apologize for my lack of grooming, lol. I barely arrived in time to the tournament before entries were closed. I woke up a bit late.

I just put my real name on my gamer tag on brackets (David)

Here are the brackets, I started on the first round.

http://eterninty.challonge.com/ntmelee

Scores were not set, the internet was slow or something I don't know. But I pretty much beat everyone 2-0, except Martin on round 5 who I beat 2-1. Semi finals where best of 3 because time was running out. I beat **** 2-1 and then Martin beat me on finals 3-0 making a reset and I ended up beating him 3-0 at the end and I won since I sent him to losers on round 5.

I used fox a lot before semifinals, but from round 5 and beyond I used only falco.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
falco's so good. i want to be him.
Don't try to fly though, that might end up really bad, lol.

I'm having issues with money now, hopefully my family will help a bit on getting me a new TV? I don't know, I'll save as much as I can, but as soon as I have it, expect 1 or 2 videos everyweekend.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I suppose, just dash then shiel drop, although controlling the stick after dashing might be difficult.

Top Bottom