• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Social Thread

bdk01

Smash Rookie
Just poppin' in here, is Falco's dair a spike like in melee, or have they not restored the meteor-cancelable angle to melee's form?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I don't completely understand your wording, but Falco's dair is a true spike in both NTSC Melee and Project M.

bdk01

Smash Rookie
I mean, is the range of what's considered a meteor smash like Melee's in project m?

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Worth it at the end though. Even if youre not winning any matches, using him well is somwehat satisfying

GeZ

Smash Lord
This is my own personal bit but performing well with the top tiers always feels dissatisfying. If I do crappy, all I can think of is "man, I can still do bad with the characters from the top?" and if I do well it's expected. I get much more of a great feeling from kicking ass with the fair to middling characters, especially against the top tier. Shine combos with Falco are sweet! Satisfying beyond belief. But (!) kicking Falco's sorry tailfeathers around with C. Falc can't be beat.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I watched a few skimmed episodes of the anime, and read some comments on the clips, then discussed it with someone who has both read and watched it for a good run-down of it.
Sounds like it would be pretty cool. Good character development, always a good change of pace and main-events. Good combo of goodness right there.

I'll still with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for now though. Too. Good. ;)

GeZ

Smash Lord
I watched a few skimmed episodes of the anime, and read some comments on the clips, then discussed it with someone who has both read and watched it for a good run-down of it.
Sounds like it would be pretty cool. Good character development, always a good change of pace and main-events. Good combo of goodness right there.

I'll still with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for now though. Too. Good. ;)
I'm one of the only people I know who's not a fan. I just don't see how you can emotionally connect to that large of a cast to begin with when they introduce characters as they slay others. It's a formula to make a cast with potential that ultimately falls flat for their impending doom and your lack of caring because of it. /2cents

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
It also doesn't seem to have much for altruistic, or any other purpose for reading outside of some of a few limited morals. Lots of explosive transitions based of despair, in terms of character-growth for each of them, but it's a tricky thing to do properly when the entire universe of the story is based on something excessively dramatic and non-contrasting to begin with. Over-the-top is 'catchy' for that reason, though novelties wear off for that same reason. Nothing sticks unless it has a quality of value that will make a person go 'I want to experience that story again, because somehow I know I'll get more from it if I go through it again, because somehow I know I've grown from it.'
Legend of Aang, Legend of Nausicaa, 4lyfe.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Jesus, agreed. Avatar the Last Airbender is insane, literally with only hyper limited shortcomings (not including the ending). Also your above reasoning is why I so highly rate FLCL. If only more anime (and the legend of Korra) could aspire to have such value.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
What's FLCL?
Korra is the perfect sequel, as it's not trying to duplicate such a piece of art, and it's doing the opposite side of the spectrum, even being frustrating to watch the ignorance of such a thing is very directly related to typical life relationships and 'seeming' dilemma's. Everything from the potential to 'learn from the mistakes of others so you don't have to make your own' to 'we're all on the same team so we might as well act like it' is present there, which were absent from LoA since that series was kind of 'the step beyond' that for much of it.
Perfect for filling the gaps, in a way, fine-detailing. The creators are aware enough to know they shouldn't pursue something like a duplication, of even wave at it, and when someone puts care into their art, it's noticeable even when it's not the masterpiece. LoK is a good seed of LoA. I wouldn't ask for more, even though it 'could' in other context (not an LoA follow-up).

Stories are the best ways to get messages across. Guaranteed. I'm glad there are people who care deeply enough to use stories as a way to inspire. <3

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
image.jpg

Idk what's going on that has anything to do with falco but okay

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Choke people out with spacing. Use everything from Tilts to Aerials and crush them all with sexy hit-boxes. Don't give anyone room to move, watch for the moments they try and break through your wall, and catch them for it with more sexy hit-boxes.

Zoning with the feet all day.
The character really isn't exceptionally fast or mobile, so you'll have holes in your game, and your job is to not let the opponent know where those holes will be, bait out what they think will be holes but aren't, and poke through every hole in their defense that you can.
Nut-shells.
HASHTAGONTOPIC?!?!?

^ Did I do that twitting thing right?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Pretty sure it's "poundsignrelaventinformation"
jus saying.
In actual related news, what's the consensus on the Falco vs Falcon matchup from Falco's perspective?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Kill him if you touch him.
Don't get touched or you'll be killed.
How?
Just like everyone else, it just happens to be a little more in the extreme of 'the holes are BIG in Falcon's game if he DOES anything, but if you DO anything, he WILL punish you for the hole you leave'
Same idea though. Choke and be sexy.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
do falcos grabs feel any different to anyone else? Along with his up b? To me it feels like he cant move as much after his upb and his laser from the grabs are different to DI.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, why did PMBR change falco's moveset from the brawl one to be back to being a fox clone, I mean it confuses me I thought people didn't like clone characters, like I understand wanting to make him as competitive as he was in melee and all and changing his reflector back was a good move in my opinion but why change all his A moves (minus the jab combo) to resemble fox's I figured he had some pretty cool animations that fit his character (this isn't meant to cause any problems or anything i'm just curious)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I have a question, why did PMBR change falco's moveset from the brawl one to be back to being a fox clone, I mean it confuses me I thought people didn't like clone characters, like I understand wanting to make him as competitive as he was in melee and all and changing his reflector back was a good move in my opinion but why change all his A moves (minus the jab combo) to resemble fox's I figured he had some pretty cool animations that fit his character (this isn't meant to cause any problems or anything i'm just curious)
Falco was both one of the most dangerous and popular characters form Melee. The subtle differences between him and Fox made him play less like a clone than most people realize. Additionally, the PMBR set out to recreate the top Melee vets as part of their mission statement. Project M was not designed to be like Brawl +, which sought to balance the Brawl cast. Project M was designed to be a spiritual successor to Melee, which was aimed primarily at competitive Melee players. This necessitated keeping the top threats from Melee completely intact.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Along with Nguz's statement I'd like to pitch in that Falco is to Fox as Falcon is to Ganon. Only the most untrained eye sees their tool set as anything but polarizing. While some animations are very similar, if not blatantly the same, the results of the hits varies drastically, creating a very VERY different character.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Unfortunately I think that's just a texture Jcaesar had on his SD. The character select screen, the battle icon, and the texture did not match up, which tell me that the red Falco was just a texture. Black Olimar is in a similar boat. I could be wrong, but those are my impressions.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Unfortunately I think that's just a texture Jcaesar had on his SD. The character select screen, the battle icon, and the texture did not match up, which tell me that the red Falco was just a texture. Black Olimar is in a similar boat. I could be wrong, but those are my impressions.
I'd agree, but I've played with Dantarion on his Wii and his also had Black Olimar. I need to ask him if it's a custom skin or a change. I don't know how he'll feel about my asking about Falco though, since that hasn't been formally announced. I'll see and edit this in a bit?

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I remember on one of the streaks someone was complaining how he'd always mix up falco to always be in the blue team cuz of his skin; prob theyre trying to see if this fits/helps or its just a texture

GeZ

Smash Lord
I can confirm Black Olimar is that color, which is awesome. Turned my favorite color even cooler. And I'm asking about Falco's now.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Hello, new player here. Played melee for years, decided to go serious after watching Evo2k13, have a lot of work to do. I've decided to play Falco, and I have a question about b-reversals. Is it viable to SH away from an approaching opponent only to B-reverse a laser to counter attack?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
The turnaround laser is more effective because there is a little endlag from the laser. It keeps you safer than b reversing does because you can't get shield grabbed if they shield the laser. I recommend you check out Mogwai's Falco thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/mogw...gue-of-legends-and-doesnt-write-stuff.203781/
This thread has a ton of great stuff about Falco, especially his lasers. If you have any questions, someone might be able to answer them here.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^Weird. You mean he can grab the ledge behind him after a short falling distance after Side-B?

SSS

Smash Ace
^Weird. You mean he can grab the ledge behind him after a short falling distance after Side-B?
Yes it's very strange. I'm currently figuring out the distances on other stages. You can also do it from two "tiles" distance on Skyworld, and right under the farthest edge of the middle platform on Yoshi's Story. You can do it with every ledge, the only hard part is knowing the distance.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Yes it's very strange. I'm currently figuring out the distances on other stages. You can also do it from two "tiles" distance on Skyworld, and right under the farthest edge of the middle platform on Yoshi's Story. You can do it with every ledge, the only hard part is knowing the distance.

Oh I thought everyone knew you could do that. It's useful sometimes to continue combos and when you pull it off as a combo extender it looks pretty cool. You can also attempt to spike someone with it who is close to grabing a ledge but if you miss them you're going to lose a stock. So that one not so much...

SSS

Smash Ace
Oh I thought everyone knew you could do that. It's useful sometimes to continue combos and when you pull it off as a combo extender it looks pretty cool. You can also attempt to spike someone with it who is close to grabing a ledge but if you miss them you're going to lose a stock. So that one not so much...
Does it work in Melee?

Top Bottom