• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Social Thread

GeZ

Smash Lord
So I'm a brawl player who found Project M a while ago so I'm adjusting to all of the advanced techniques and physics and all that jazz of melee. I picked up Falco a while ago but just started to really try learning some of his tricks recently, so I've just got a few questions. Can pillaring be broken out of just by teching when they hit the ground? or should I be spiking right after shine so they fall at normal speed? And do you have to L-Cancel lasers when SHFFLing with them? or do most B moves cancel their endlag on land? Also what's the use of SHFFLing his laser? I get that it's good for ****ing with the opponents timing and helps my approach game, but how specifically should I be using it? Should I SHFFL towards them with it and then fish for a down tilt or down air or smash? Why do some people wavedash out of shine before they spike? Isn't it redundant except for minor spacing readjustments while pillaring or comboing with shine? And is double shineing (shine xx jump, shine xx jump, down air) worth using or is it redundant? Thanks to anyone who answers any of these. I know it's quite a bit but I'm just trying to get my footing with this character.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
So I'm a brawl player who found Project M a while ago so I'm adjusting to all of the advanced techniques and physics and all that jazz of melee. I picked up Falco a while ago but just started to really try learning some of his tricks recently, so I've just got a few questions. Can pillaring be broken out of just by teching when they hit the ground? or should I be spiking right after shine so they fall at normal speed? And do you have to L-Cancel lasers when SHFFLing with them? or do most B moves cancel their endlag on land? Also what's the use of SHFFLing his laser? I get that it's good for ****ing with the opponents timing and helps my approach game, but how specifically should I be using it? Should I SHFFL towards them with it and then fish for a down tilt or down air or smash? Why do some people wavedash out of shine before they spike? Isn't it redundant except for minor spacing readjustments while pillaring or comboing with shine? And is double shineing (shine xx jump, shine xx jump, down air) worth using or is it redundant? Thanks to anyone who answers any of these. I know it's quite a bit but I'm just trying to get my footing with this character.
haha I just started learning too! Can't get that much practice in since my Brothers really close in the other room, and my controller makes a lot of noise haha.

No lasers do not need to be l-canceled. And for L-cancelling in general you should be pressing L whenever your is not in your neutral position, not just when you're doing SHFFLs. Back airs go back into neutral pretty fast, so you don't need to be too careful with those. Fairs, Dairs, and (especially) neutral stay out for a while, so pay attention when you're landing on platforms.

And if you're trying to learn shield pressure, if you want to jump out of shine super fast like the pros i find pressing UP on the control stick is A LOT faster then trying to press Y due to how sensitive that button is.That also goes for shine > backairs/spikes in the air.

Also mixing up double shine will help people from trying to grab you while you're pressuring their shield.

shine > wavedash makes it easier to follow up on combos when people try to DI away from you.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Gez we should play some PM online together, since we're both trying to learn :)
Hey thanks for all the info! I did know about L-Cancelling every aerial, cause I got started playing Bowser, and if you don't make his stuff safe people just walk all over you :c And I'll try pressing up to jump after I shine. I got out of the habit of doing it like that to begin with because I have a lot more trouble controlling my jumps when I press up instead of x or y. And I would love to play some games! I've been trying to get my friends into P:M but none of them know many of the advanced stuff, so I spend most of my time walking all over them :/

GeZ

Smash Lord
Oh also I've seen a few Fox players SHFFL neutral air to combo/ carry to the sides of maps. Can Falco do that too or is his nair different?

cheese619

Smash Ace
Yeah Falco can do it too but it depends on the DI of the opponent. A somewhat-common Falco finisher is to SHFFL the first hit of fair as it has low knockback and combo that into fsmash.

EDIT: Also because Fox is faster he does it MUCH better.

GeZ

Smash Lord
So, since it was one of the few things not answered above, is pillaring techable? and if so how easily?

cheese619

Smash Ace
People always have different ideas of what pillaring is, but if you just mean shine > dair comboing generally the dair can't be teched until about 60% usually the 3rd or 4th rep. After it starts sending them into tumble animation it can be teched and it's not that hard to tech but people still miss it, which can lead to a dsmash kill on fast-fallers etc in a lot of cases.
Sorry for the run-on sentence but I'm hungover.

GeZ

Smash Lord
People always have different ideas of what pillaring is, but if you just mean shine > dair comboing generally the dair can't be teched until about 60% usually the 3rd or 4th rep. After it starts sending them into tumble animation it can be teched and it's not that hard to tech but people still miss it, which can lead to a dsmash kill on fast-fallers etc in a lot of cases.
Sorry for the run-on sentence but I'm hungover.
Awesome. Thanks for answering! And what are other methods of pilaring? And s'all good, at least you managed to form complete thoughts without some kind of trauma.

cheese619

Smash Ace
It's not so much other methods of pillaring, it's just that people refer to things that aren't pillaring as pillaring.

"Pillaring is a tactic in Super Smash Bros. Melee of pressuring an opponent's shield using shffl'd aerials and shines, used by Fox and Falco. This technique is commonly used in high-level play. Pillaring is sometimes viewed as general shield pressure. It is also commonly mistaken for Falco's vertical down aerial and shine combos." -ssbmwiki.com/Pillaring

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's not so much other methods of pillaring, it's just that people refer to things that aren't pillaring as pillaring.

"Pillaring is a tactic in Super Smash Bros. Melee of pressuring an opponent's shield using shffl'd aerials and shines, used by Fox and Falco. This technique is commonly used in high-level play. Pillaring is sometimes viewed as general shield pressure. It is also commonly mistaken for Falco's vertical down aerial and shine combos." -ssbmwiki.com/Pillaring
Well I suppose I fall under the "people who refer to the wrong thing as pillaring". Eh well. Thanks.

DefiantMage

Smash Rookie
Is it bad that I miss Falco's shield throw? I feel it makes his playstyle all that more unique from Fox

cheese619

Smash Ace
I think he's talking about Falco's Brawl down B, where he kicks his reflector out in front of him. Yes it's very bad that you miss his Brawl down B as it would suck compared to his melee shine in the Project M engine. :p

I've got a question, in your experience what is the Falco matchup you've had most trouble with in Project M?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Oh, yeah it was kind of a unique move. We need to give it to some other character, like Cougar.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
does anyone have any issue shortening Falco's illusion in PM? Is it a different timing than it is in melee?

in melee I can do it on command without failure but in PM I am having a much harder time and can barely ever get it

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
YakalFACE is a mess.
I think I saw the picture in your avatar today somewhere else, but I have no idea what it is or where it was...
Who is that and why is it familiar?

Is it actually like Brawl, or is it just that slight difference in sensitivity, frame accuracy, whatever it is that comes from 'Brawl engine' transitions... but it's actually coded to be just like Melee?

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
It's Mikasa Ackerman from Shingeki No Kyojin.

I've heard over 9000 times that it's exactly melee (for everything else as well) but that isn't what it feels like so I don't care if it was coded to be exactly like melee. It isn't the same.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
EXACTLY!!!

I bet you've also heard over 9000 times that "It doesn't feel like Melee" ;)
And then it comes back to... why is everyone expecting everything to be like Melee?

*coughADOcough* hehe
Play Melee if you want, Melee is amazing, but Project: M is NOT MELEE!
It's not like Brawl, but it's because of Brawl that it's not like Melee.
AKA it's Project: M.

"This thing in Melee feels different than Melee"
"It's because of Brawl so get used to it in PM"
- multiplied by infinity

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
Then why do they insist so heavily on things being the same? I will go to smashfests with only the intention of playing melee but people constantly try and get me to play pm saying "Falco is in it and it's just like MELEE". Obviously I don't care that it isn't melee but i'm constantly being told to play (from members of the pmbr) because falco is "copy and pasted from melee" even though it isn't. I get the feeling you think I have the opinion that PM should be exactly like melee and the fact that it isn't bothers me but that isn't the case. I'm only saying that the two aren't the same (when there are people who brand it as such). I'd appreciate it if you didn't make assumptions on my opinions.

I don't play PM anymore but I'll help anyone out if they got questions.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Yakal, the comments weren't directed at you, I know what you posted and where you stand, and I used your post as an example for the point I made.
9000 times we hear 'it's just like melee'
and 9000 times again we hear people say 'it feels different than melee so wtf'

People shouldn't be thinking it's like Melee. Not you, the post you commented on. (Ado, and others who make the same comments over and over)
You internet scrub.

- Bamesy ;)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Tru fax^
My first account got broke, I got the second one banned and didn't show up again for couple years, forgetting the password.
Gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

Also hidden ninja accounts = peeps don't know who it is = no influence aside from what's in the posts themselves.
Was useful for a little while until reputations start coming. So overrated. It's all so simple.

Soulstice Music

Smash Cadet
I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know if Falco's green outfit is going to be changed? He is extremely easy to mistake for blue as he currently stands.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot Spider Mad. So far I've haven't been able to play today, but I have forward and retreating lasers down, as well as getting my lasers to hit small characters at will. I've been practicing wave dashing and wave shining to mix Up my retreat and approach.

When you guys play Falco, what do you attack with. Like falco seems he can do the Luigi WD > ftilt. The fox shffld Nairs. The toon link rar bair. Etc. Outside of lasers what do you guys do.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Choke people out with spacing. Use everything from Tilts to Aerials and crush them all with sexy hit-boxes. Don't give anyone room to move, watch for the moments they try and break through your wall, and catch them for it with more sexy hit-boxes.

Zoning with the feet all day.
The character really isn't exceptionally fast or mobile, so you'll have holes in your game, and your job is to not let the opponent know where those holes will be, bait out what they think will be holes but aren't, and poke through every hole in their defense that you can.

Edit: I watched a couple Youtube Clips after searching Mikasa. Looks like it would be an interesting Manga. Cool concept for a story.

Top Bottom