• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco combo and set-up discussion.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Here is a thread to talk about any kinds of set-up or "combos" and for all of us to discuss them. A good one I found is up-tilt until they fly too high then rising neutral air into spike or back kick.

A nice checkmate move I also noticed was and upwards hitting attack to rising up-air. If they dodge and DI back, back kick them. If they just dodge, spike them and do whatever you want, they have hit lag and can't do anything except for maybe roll tech. If they DI too far wait for them to land, space them, and side-b pop them up again.

Add your own little combos/set-ups and discuss.

Rat

Smash Lord
Can this turn into a more general falco discussion as well? Cause I want to share the approaches/tricks/set-ups I have too.

Anyways combos and set ups.

First offffff the most important combo is the chain grab. You probably know this stuff but I'll put it down.

Grab Set-ups:
Shield grab (obvious)
The 2 most important ways to get this other than an opponent blunder are: Walk forward then shield, run then shield. The objective is to change the spacing so that their previously safe aerial now lands them in shield grab range. Walk forward applies when they are in the range were your dash forward animation makes it so you can't shield.

similar but better

Run->spot dodge-> grab:
This is a variation on attacking with a shield. I picked it up from Anther after the last tournament. Basically it's a counter to them attacking with their shield, them spot dodging (as you animation should end first) and push away move. Considering most moves push away moves put you out of shield grab range, this also allows you stay inside grabbing range.

SHL -> grab
This is difficult as you have to 1) make them shield 2) make sure they don't spot dodge/roll. The best way to do this apply SHL -> grab when they are coming down from a jump. This will usually stop their aerial/whatever and put them into shield right as they land. This is similar to when Falco's SHL to fsmash in melee.

Jab -> Grab or Jab, Jab -> Grab
Good trick that works. I'd rather put this under it's own category as it has many variations...so I will.

Empty shorthop -> grab
This works usually because I like to punish by SH Dairing out of shield. Usually I time it low, so this is a variation for if they stay in their shield.

Approaching by just flat out grabbing:
The free grab I usually get are. 1) When they just return from the edge. This is usually a shield grab off of a Ledgehop aerial. 2) Walk forward and grab. This one is pretty ballzy and oddly it works.

Throw combos:
After whatever %age your opponent gets out of Dthrow, there are a couple alternatives.

Dthrow->walk forward->shield grab
This works because you opponent cannot jump until they are close to the ground. So they are forces to either airdodge or attack. This beats the airdodge

Dthrow->DashAcanceled Usmash
I'm not sure of the official name. But this is where you press Down on the C-stick during a run then immediately press Up + Z. This 'combos' if you opponent doesn't DI or DI's away. It boosts you far enough forward to make up for the distance the Dthrow puts them. If they airdodge just charge the Upsmash slightly. If they DI in you will overshoot.

Dthrow->Nair
This covers the DI in.

Upthrow->Fair
The lasers have to hit for this to work, so it's kind of iffy. I like to put the Fair over their head hoping they DJ into it.

Chain grab finishers:
This should be old news but there are 2 main finishers to the chain grab I use.

Dair Spike:
Ftw

DashAttack Upsmash:
This is the Gatling combo or whatever it's called. If you space the Dash attack so that the tip of your toe hits. The upper back part of the Upsmash is a guaranteed hit. I use this if I can't spike them. This results in them being about 55-65% damage. Too good. Plus if there's platforms you basically get another free hit.

Jab set-ups:
Basically Falco's initial Jab is beautiful. Spaced correctly it is not shieldgrabable (by most), and basically not punishable in anyway. That being said, you usually can't do more than 2 as it will move you forward.
Anyways, if you jab their shield properly you are in control. You here are the options i've been using so far.

Jab Combo
I seriously need to stop doing this because there are much better options. Anyways, This covers Spot Dodge/Hold shield/Jump.

Considering that Roll Away/Roll into are the only safe options. (well other than powershield, jab)

Jab -> DashA + Usmash
This one is fun. After you jab run into them.
If they Roll away: Free DashA + Usmash. If they late roll away: Jab again (DashA usually puts you back into the same spot)
If they stay in their shield: SH Bair their backside
If they shield grab, you haven't been Jab comboing enough.

Jab-> charge a Dsmash
If they don't roll into you, you look like a ******. But if they do.... This usually results in a kill.
The best time to do this one is right after they stand up from the edge. Almost EVERYONE rolls into you after a jab. It's beautiful.
Alternatively, jab and slightly walk away. This is safer but looks less cool.

Here's a picture of the flow

__________/- -(roll into)-- Dsmash
Jab Combo<
~~~~~~~~ \__(roll away)--DashAttack

Jab -> Grab:
As stated from above. This only works if they hold shield. This is basically used only after you scare them into their shield.

Jab->Slightly Charged Fsmash
I say Slightly Charged Fsmash because this stems from Jab->Grab. Basically you want them to spot dodge. If you don't slightly charge it/delay it, it won't hit. Make them feel dumb.

Dair combos:
Basically it goes like this. (These aren't hard and fast, but they generally work.)
<50% : Grab/Utilt (I don't like Utilt)
50-60%: Usmash/Fair
70%: Bair/Nair
80%+: Bair (if they airdodge) into Bair/Dair
110%ish: uair
Dair actually combos like a fiend. At higher percents they cannot jump away. If you hit a Dair you have lots and lots of control. Use it.

On Edge tactics:
These are the ones I use pretty much in order of likeliness.
1) Ledgehop Side B
This is the best and most common one. Change your timing based on their movements.
2) Ledgehop Double Lasers
This is if they space themselves out of your Side B range.
3)Roll
I still like it
3) Ledgehop Shine, Regrab edge.
This is more occasional, but if you LH double lasers, they usually come close. This pushes them back to the medium range. The timing on this is tricky. Too soon you go over their head, too late and you can't re grab the edge. Also important is to Pull away (then back) as soon as you Shine. The move is laggy as hell and you want more space between you and your opponent.
4) Ledgehop Nair
This is usually used to punish some stupid attack
5) Get up attack
Sometimes you just gotta.

Stage Tricks:

Battlefield trick:
This is to be used occasionally. But, usually on stages with platforms the best initial move is to fall through the platform and lazer. On battlefield, you can SideB as soon as the match start and land on their platform.
If they choose to run forward off the platform, you get a free hit.
If they choose to fall through the platform (90% of the time). You can fall through turn around laser (depends on how ballzy you are). Fall through Dair/Bair.
If I feel unsafe: SideB back to the other platform.

This can throw your opponent off dramatically. Few people expect an attack immediately. And it land you a grab (that is if you dair).

Delfino Plaza:
Under Delfino:
This is pretty cool but you can go under delfino plaza. This is the main section that has 1-3 platforms, before you stop off at whatever part of delfino isle.

Let go of the edge (tap back), immediately float forward, jump (under the stage), SideB, immediately hold back. If don't correctly you can go from edge to edge without touching the stage.

Stupid Lips:
There are a couple retardedly good lips on Deflino Isle. Basically stand under them, and you can SH double laser at ground height.

Water:
Water is good. There is an initial lag when people return to the surface. Spike them! This results in fun chains, were you repeatedly spike them, and then they die.

Luigi's Mansion:
The middle platform:
These 2 middle platforms are at the perfect height to SHDL onto, then fall through single laser. You have to isai-drop to make it work, but it looks cool. Basically the platform gives you SH triple lasers.

Jungle Japes:
If you dont already know JJ is **** for falco. So many edges to SideB into. Water to spike them into. The Edge platforms are at the perfect height for immediate SHDL.

Anyways I wrote a lot. Sweet!

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
Great post, rat

lots of nice tips and strategies.

One of my favourite approaches and just moves in general is the back air. Falco's bair is really, really great. I use it constantly. It's strong, lasts a long time, has good priority, little lag...

Lasers and bair. That's all you really need >_>

Blad01

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but i find this thread a litlle bit useless... :/

If you want to discuss about combos, take a look here.

But very nice post, Rat ! Maybe should we open a new "Official Discussion" Thread about tips, Falco, his background, colors etc...
But not about Match-Up (there already two serious threads about i), and not as a Q&A, there is also one).

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow->DashAcanceled Usmash
I'm not sure of the official name.
I'm pretty sure it's a boost smash, but with new names coming in every second I can't be sure. Still that's the name that sounds the easiest :D

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, but i find this thread a litlle bit useless... :/

If you want to discuss about combos, take a look here.

But very nice post, Rat ! Maybe should we open a new "Official Discussion" Thread about tips, Falco, his background, colors etc...
But not about Match-Up (there already two serious threads about i), and not as a Q&A, there is also one).
This thread isn't just about combos. It's about certain set-ups people have as other Falco players to share in order to better all of us as Falco players. Even the best people in the world can't think of ideas some others can.

I have quite a few ideas, dash attack (when it's hit with the beginning and pops them up) into up tilt into rising neutral works pretty nice.

Also, I found something pretty interesting about people jumping off of the ledge. Some characters begin to rise from the ledge with no invulnerability. Falco is able to rising spike them through the ledge while they are rising from a jump off of the ledge because of no invulnerability, but you have to pretty much almost predict it unless you are very fast. People jump off of the ledge about 65% of the time IMO. Too bad it doesn't work for Game and Watch :( I'm going to see who else it can and can't work for. This does work for MetaKnight. Short hop above the ledge into down air DI out then back to the stage is a good ledge guard when he's trying to come up. It beats dropping down up-Bs and jumps up off of the ledge.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Jungle Japes:
If you dont already know JJ is **** for falco. So many edges to SideB into. Water to spike them into. The Edge platforms are at the perfect height for immediate SHDL.
Chain grab to spike into left hole=win. Works on anyone you can chain grab. (Pit & Metaknight to name a few)

My Falco and I got Jungle Japes banned in Central and South Florida. Sorry guys...three stocked a really good snake in about 1 minute...

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Chain grab to spike into left hole=win. Works on anyone you can chain grab. (Pit & Metaknight to name a few)

My Falco and I got Jungle Japes banned in Central and South Florida. Sorry guys...three stocked a really good snake in about 1 minute...

LOL, are you serious? Falco gets an awesome counterpick against Snake of all characters and it gets banned? wtf

Anyway, at 0% against most characters you can Dair -> Utilt -> Nair/Fair (inescapable)

I'm sure everyone knows about Dthrow -> Dair -> Fastfall -> Regrab, it's useful on some characters that cannot be chainthrown past 15-20%.

Rat

Smash Lord
More Stage Tricks:

Pokemon Stadium 1:

Nothing to huge, but the transformations are good for falco.

Fire:
The shine goes through the tree. Usually get you a free 6-10% damage.
Fsmash goes through the upper part of the tree.

Windmill:
The biggest problem with the shine is it's lag. If you're on the right and they are on the left, wait for the next arm of the windmill to come down between you. Shine them through it. They will try to punish, but it won't work because of the wall. oh yeah.

Falco ftw!

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
LOL, are you serious? Falco gets an awesome counterpick against Snake of all characters and it gets banned? wtf

Anyway, at 0% against most characters you can Dair -> Utilt -> Nair/Fair (inescapable)

I'm sure everyone knows about Dthrow -> Dair -> Fastfall -> Regrab, it's useful on some characters that cannot be chainthrown past 15-20%.
Yeah, completely serious. It was banned because of that and because "it messes with certain character's sweet spots on the ledges"...In that case lets ban Battlefield because the platforms are too good for Snake...I mean, the platforms interfere with gameplay. People are just out to continue the hate on Falco.

I've seen people able to react before the Regrab happens :-/

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
I've seen people able to react before the Regrab happens :-/
I've tested it and some characters can break out and react beforehand, like with Marth's ^B and other lagless attacks. Some characters have too much stun time can be Dair'd and regrabbed twice though.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
It's very weird actually I don't think it's that at all. There are times I see characters floating above the floor after being spiked and I'm not too sure what causes it. That's what usually lags the people from doing anything and getting re-grabbed.

Another thing to add, with the C-stick set to attack, Falco can down air without fast falling,(duh) but this also means you can drop off the edge and use the down air spike immediately with the C-stick and not kill yourself. You can even jump and spike again just like a short hop down air off the edge into jump spike.

Rat

Smash Lord
What percentage does the Dair knockdown? Cause I will totally try this tonight.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
35-40%ish, you can also check the laserlock thread for exact percents on specific characters.

Ridiculously cheap and amazing.

Top Bottom