• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Because they're costumes that got their own slots. It's ridiculous. "Let's add Dark Pit and Dr.Mario because they have different models!"

I cannot even imagine. These characters (clones) are just in to enlarge the roster. Clearly, Sakurai wants more characters in. But he also just ignored a huge, huge amount of fans. Adding Dr.Mario and Dark pit before Mewtwo is a slap to the face. It's like saying "Well, we didn't really want to add Ridley and Mewtwo. So here you go! Some clones with different colors/models!"

I can't see one logical reason to add those 2 characters but to piss off the people or because Sakurai wants the roster to have more characters but is too lazy to make new ones from scratch. Which he won't have to do, for Mewtwo at least.
Once again, these characters aren't included before anyone. They were once alt. costumes but because there was time and reason to give them a slot, they got one. It's like saying, "Well unfortunately we've added every unique character that's humanly possible in this time frame, we can't add anymore but we could squeeze in some clones". I seriously doubt that Sakurai just went **** Mewtwo, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are better. Two more clones isn't making the roster significantly bigger, so it's not like Mewtwo was excluded just to make the roster bigger.
If Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were completely unique characters then there's reason to believe they were chosen over Mewtwo. But not when they're Melee level clones

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
CMON SAKURAI mewtwo has to be importent like im sorry how many pages are there here.....thats right 300!
Once again, these characters aren't included before anyone. They were once alt. costumes but because there was time and reason to give them a slot, they got one. It's like saying, "Well unfortunately we've added every unique character that's humanly possible in this time frame, we can't add anymore but we could squeeze in some clones". I seriously doubt that Sakurai just went **** Mewtwo, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are better. Two more clones isn't making the roster significantly bigger, so it's not like Mewtwo was excluded just to make the roster bigger.
If Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were completely unique characters then there's reason to believe they were chosen over Mewtwo. But not when they're Melee level clones
This has actually made me realize.

I'm pissed off at Mewtwo being cut but...

The clones are just really irritating. For all we know the clones could have been planned long ago. But they were/are still clones. It's irritating that they get to take a place on the roster.

BJR has 6-8 different characters as alternatives and ( If what I heard was correct) Little Mac has 16 different alternatives. it's just wrong that Dr mario. Who has no one what so ever calling out for him to take a spot on the roster. What's even more irritating is Dark pit's existence. He was an alternative for Pit in Brawl. But no. let's give him his useless character spot.

It's not about it taking away chances from other characters. It's about how lazy and dumb that is. Very arrogant indeed. I feel like the only reason they had was to make people think that the roster was huge. Which it is. But some characters a lot of people think are useless.

We built up our hype only to realize the remaining characters were clones? That's such a di ck move from Sakurai.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

The clones are just really irritating. For all we know the clones could have been planned long ago. But they were/are still clones. It's irritating that they get to take a place on the roster.

BJR has 6-8 different characters as alternatives and ( If what I heard was correct) Little Mac has 16 different alternatives. it's just wrong that Dr mario. Who has no one what so ever calling out for him to take a spot on the roster. What's even more irritating is Dark pit's existence. He was an alternative for Pit in Brawl. But no. let's give him his useless character spot.

It's not about it taking away chances from other characters. It's about how lazy and dumb that is. Very arrogant indeed. I feel like the only reason they had was to make people think that the roster was huge. Which it is. But some characters a lot of people think are useless.

We built up our hype only to realize the remaining characters were clones? That's such a di ck move from Sakurai.
There would be people asking Dr. Mario to return. Actually there are.
I think he got a spot instead of just being an alt. because he was a character in a previous game. I don't know why Dark Pit was chosen as a clone but if he wasn't in it then some other alt. costume would have been upgraded or it would have just been Lucina and Doc as clones.

But I don't think last minute additions are lazy, it's the opposite. It's putting in extra work just to get that extra character in. Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to do that with a unique character unless you delayed the game.

I also doubt Sakurai ruining your hype is a **** move. It's entirely subjective as to whether you think a character deserves a spot. Sakurai can't please everyone, so just because he didn't please you makes him a ****? There are people who are happy, even if they dislike some characters they still like others.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
There would be people asking Dr. Mario to return. Actually there are.
I think he got a spot instead of just being an alt. because he was a character in a previous game. I don't know why Dark Pit was chosen as a clone but if he wasn't in it then some other alt. costume would have been upgraded or it would have just been Lucina and Doc as clones.

But I don't think last minute additions are lazy, it's the opposite. It's putting in extra work just to get that extra character in. Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to do that with a unique character unless you delayed the game.

I also doubt Sakurai ruining your hype is a **** move. It's entirely subjective as to whether you think a character deserves a spot. Sakurai can't please everyone, so just because he didn't please you makes him a ****? There are people who are happy, even if they dislike some characters they still like others.
I don't think anyone is happy that they can play Pit with a different color palette...

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I literally saw someone yesterday saying they were ecstatic to be able to play as Dark Pit.
Did that somebody understand that they had the same moves? It's like being excited to play as White and red mario. Or Retro Toon Link.... just doesn't make sense.

Morbi

Scavenger
I literally saw someone yesterday saying they were ecstatic to be able to play as Dark Pit.
I am also extremely ecstatic to be able to play as Dark Pit. He was my most wanted character, by far. In fact, he was ahead of Mewtwo. Honestly, if Dark Pit was not in the game, I would probably be complaining about Mewtwo not being in the game. However, I lost my right to complain as I did get my most wanted.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Any sign of any Mewtwo trophy yet?
If not, don't give up hope just yet. I still think the Wii U version will bring some more characters to the game.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I am also extremely ecstatic to be able to play as Dark Pit. He was my most wanted character, by far. In fact, he was ahead of Mewtwo. Honestly, if Dark Pit was not in the game, I would probably be complaining about Mewtwo not being in the game. However, I lost my right to complain as I did get my most wanted.
I understand, but i really don't get that :p I've never played KI:U, so in my eyes Dark pit is still Pit with black colors from Brawl....

But if it makes some people happy then maybe it's not so bad i guess? and On topic : IF there is DLC i think the veterans have the most chance, i don't think they will ever make newcomers for DLC, but hey! That's just an opinion, My opinion ;)

zombieRabbidz

Smash Journeyman

Why did you quote my post XD :)

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Ya know, I wouldn't be so pissed at the clones if they weren't literal palette swaps. Clones like Lucas, Falco and Wolf (Semi-clone) are what is totally fine. The clones in this game are garbage compared to the past clones. They feel so tacked on with no love.

F**king Dr. Mario...

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ya know, I wouldn't be so pissed at the clones if they weren't literal palette swaps. Clones like Lucas, Falco and Wolf (Semi-clone) are what is totally fine. The clones in this game are garbage compared to the past clones. They feel so tacked on with no love.

F**king Dr. Mario...
They're pretty much what the clones were like in Melee.

gamer8

Smash Lord
I wonder if Lucario never got a mega evolution if they would have prioritized Mewtwo over him this time... Forgive me for saying this but I really think Mewtwo should have been prioritized over him anyways. Not like he's the most requested smash character or anything or has 2 mega evos and is more recently relevant with his movie. And I don't have any problems with Dr. Mario, but the only thing that bothers me about him is that Sakurai was thinking about cut Melee characters and thought "Hey, let's bring back Dr. Mario!" while Mewtwo is crying in the corner. I'll never understand that man's thought process.

I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up over this whole DLC deal and the rumors about the Wii U connectivity and such, hoping it doesn't end with me crushed again.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I wonder if Lucario never got a mega evolution if they would have prioritized Mewtwo over him this time... Forgive me for saying this but I really think Mewtwo should have been prioritized over him anyways. Not like he's the most requested smash character or anything or has 2 mega evos and is more recently relevant with his movie. And I don't have any problems with Dr. Mario, but the only thing that bothers me about him is that Sakurai was thinking about cut Melee characters and thought "Hey, let's bring back Dr. Mario!" while Mewtwo is crying in the corner. I'll never understand that man's thought process.

I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up over this whole DLC deal and the rumors about the Wii U connectivity and such, hoping it doesn't end with me crushed again.
...no. Lucario deserved to be back whether you liked him or not. Mewtwo should've been in the game in the first place alongside him

gamer8

Smash Lord
...no. Lucario deserved to be back whether you liked him or not. Mewtwo should've been in the game in the first place alongside him
I said Mewtwo should have had a higher priority being much more requested and relevant lately. There were even a lot of people who thought Lucario was going to get cut this time around until he was revealed. Mewtwo had a lot more going for him, yet got screwed again while Lucario who has been less relevant got in again. It makes no sense. I agree they should have both been in though, I don't hate Lucario or anything.

D

Deleted member

I said Mewtwo should have had a higher priority being much more requested and relevant lately. There were even a lot of people who thought Lucario was going to get cut this time around until he was revealed. Mewtwo had a lot more going for him, yet got screwed again while Lucario who has been less relevant got in again. It makes no sense. I agree they should have both been in though, I don't hate Lucario or anything.
Lucario was way more relevant and just as popular in the Pokemon community, especially at the time the game was being developed. He promoted BW2 (which is saying something since Gen 5 as a whole was marketed by pretty much solely Gen 5 Pokemon), was alongside the first mega evolved Pokemon, and was the first mega you got to use in X and Y, and was required to get. I fail to see why people thought he had any chance of being cut. I also cannot fathom why Sakurai did not include Mewtwo. Another reason why Mewtwo was more requested was because he wasn't in Brawl. Do you see people requesting Falco to stay in on a regular basis? No, because he is a veteran from Brawl. I do not mean to insult you or start an argument, but Lucario had no chance of being cut, so I wanted to clear that up. Also, Mewtwo should be DLC for this game.

Rocksmasha

Smash Cadet
Lucario was way more relevant and just as popular in the Pokemon community, especially at the time the game was being developed. He promoted BW2 (which is saying something since Gen 5 as a whole was marketed by pretty much solely Gen 5 Pokemon), was alongside the first mega evolved Pokemon, and was the first mega you got to use in X and Y, and was required to get. I fail to see why people thought he had any chance of being cut. I also cannot fathom why Sakurai did not include Mewtwo. Another reason why Mewtwo was more requested was because he wasn't in Brawl. Do you see people requesting Falco to stay in on a regular basis? No, because he is a veteran from Brawl. I do not mean to insult you or start an argument, but Lucario had no chance of being cut, so I wanted to clear that up. Also, Mewtwo should be DLC for this game.
Lucario is from Gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) not Gen 5.

D

Deleted member

Lucario is from Gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) not Gen 5.
I know that. If you read it correctly than you would know that he promoted a Gen 5 despite not being in Gen 5, which is an accomplishment because Gen 5 was marketed by mostly (not all) Gen 5 pokemon And he replaced Zoroark on some Pokemon show in Japan because nobody liked him as much.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Nah if I'm wrong I'm wrong, I won't start an argument over that. I don't think anyone can really fathom how Mewtwo still isn't in, if he's not back as dlc or anything I just want Sakurai to give Mewtwo fans an explanation because I really just don't get it. And if he's really just not back I'll be here in 2020 to support him for Smash 5 all over again. No Mewtwo trophy yet has me hopeful.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
*Still reeling in disbelief that we lost Ice Climbers and gained Dark Pit and Dr. Mario but not Mewtwo*

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I know that this has already been mentioned at least once, but there's still a chance for Mewtwo, as according to the game-size not being at its peak and the cross-linking/DLC possibility.

You guys'd better not give up, because Zapzo's as well as Neo Zero's sources might have actually been correct this entire time and we ended up bashing them far too soon.

I recall seeing a post about how this DLC/linking thing would go for the 3DS version. If that's the case, then the final 4 that have been speculated so much, may just be in the game; it'd make so much sense; on top of that, it's neither been confirmed nor deconfirmed so it's our best bet, at this point.

Don't lose hope, you guys.

It's not over yet. I see no reason for this thread to be locked until we have true clarity that there will be absolutely no new characters possible in either version of the game.

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
If we're going to count the Pokemon Black 2/White 2 trailer as "promotion" for Lucario (which in my opinion barely counts because things like Arcanine show up, too, and Nate was bound to have 1 or 2 non-Generation 5 Pokemon on his team anyway..not to mention that the chase sequence is rather short), then things like the 2012 "return of Mewtwo" should count in Mewtwo's favor (where Mewtwo got his own mini-site, in addition to an event distribution and trading card game (TCG) coverage) in addition to Mewtwo receiving his own signature move Psystrike/Psycho Break during Generation 5 (as opposed to Lucario losing exclusivity to/association with Aura Sphere due to more Pokemon being capable of learning it as the generations go on - even Mewtwo can usurp that). I wasn't going to count Mega Evolutions due to their initial conception possibly predating the Super Smash Bros. 4 apparent roster finalization in 2012 (with the earliest Mega Evolution being made public in September 2013, although not by that term), but since they are mentioned, "Mega Mewtwo Y/Awakened Forme was the first Mega Evolution revealed to the public and the first to appear in the anime, even before Mega Evolution was announced" should count for something as well (derived from Mewtwo's Bulbapedia article), let alone Mewtwo being one of two Pokemon receiving two Mega Evolutions (both of which (Mewtwo's Mega Evolutions, I mean) now have un-surpassed Base Stat Totals). I'll give you the point about Lucario being "required" in Pokemon X and Y's gameplay, though.

Anyways, if Mewtwo, who...

-has 2 movies (Mewtwo Strikes Back and Genesect and The Legend Awakened) that prominently feature him (or at least his species), a TV special/OVA dedicated to him (Mewtwo Returns), the radio drama things and the "The Birth of Mewtwo" sequence, with designations as "special/unique" (the various "Unknown Dungeons" of Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold, SoulSilver, X, and Y) or "final boss" (Pokemon Stadium 1 (and 2, to an extent), Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, Pokemon Puzzle League, The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon TV special), complete with routinely receiving personal battle themes (Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Rumble, Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, Pokemon X and Y) or being singled out (personal bonus stage in Pokemon Pinball, the constellation thing in Pokemon Snap) in a spectacular fashion, and is generally regarded as a powerful Pokemon (in the anime and in real life, at least from my experience)

...still
manages to go from playable character to collectible trophy within the span of just 2 Super Smash Bros. games, I can totally see how Lucario could easily be considered for removal. I mean, don't get me wrong, Lucario is quite popular, but 1 movie and his various episode cameos (his availability as a common Pokemon instead of a proper legendary Pokemon lend him easier to that role) and advertisement cameos hardly compare to what Mewtwo has received since the Pokemon franchise began. I don't see Lucario repeatedly getting his own bonus/final stages and battle themes..
Tl;dr - At this point, if Mewtwo, of all Pokemon, can get cut from a Super Smash Bros. roster despite his impressive longevity and recognition, getting "cut" is practically fair game for any Pokemon - Lucario definitely could have gotten cut for Super Smash Bros. 4.

I do support your stance on how Mewtwo should have been in the game, though.

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
So, there still is no word on a Mewtwo trophy? I guess that's a tiny bit of hope, but it's like, a pixel in size.

I guess now we have the spacing left on the roster and also how big the game is as more pixed sized signs of hope as well.

I just want an answer. I don't think I'm prepared to be crushed again.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
I don't have time to read through 300+ pages right now but I really need to get this off my chest:

I like Mewtwo, but I rather not see him in smash brothers anymore. Here's why,

Mewtwo SUCKED in melee, bottom tier, and I'm convinced it was no accident though the normal dynamics of fighting games! Mewtwo was weak, slow, and light, a polar opposite of what he is. He is a strong, fast, and heavy pokemon and I don't understand how all 3 attributes can be turned around and not be intentional. Project M did Mewtwo some justice but I have no reason to expect the same from the officials.

Bottom line: I rather not see Mewtwo in smash at all than watch him fight like he has cancer.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't have time to read through 300+ pages right now but I really need to get this off my chest:

Mewtwo SUCKED in melee, bottom tier, and I'm convinced it was no accident though the normal dynamics of fighting games! Mewtwo was weak, slow, and light, a polar opposite of what he is. He is a strong, fast, and heavy pokemon and I don't understand how all 3 attributes can be turned around and not be intentional. Project M did Mewtwo some justice but I have no reason to expect the same from the officials.

Bottom line: I rather not see Mewtwo in smash at all than watch him fight like he has cancer.
Seriously? A character shouldn't come back because they suck? Why the hell did Kirby return for Brawl? Why the hell is Ganondorf back from Brawl in SSB4?
Character performance/balance should not contribute to a character's inclusion/exclusion

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
It's **** like this that is cancer. Seriously? A character shouldn't come back because they suck? Why the hell did Kirby return for Brawl. Why the hell is Ganondorf back from Brawl in SSB4.
Character performance/balance should not contribute to a character's inclusion/exclusion
This. Smash Bros is not a damn tier list competition, if a certain character sucked in the previous game you rework and IMPROVE that character.

Look at Captain Falcon, he was garbage in Brawl but is looking great in Smash 4. The same could have happened for Mewtwo.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

So, what if they fixed him?

Like they did with most other characters this time around?

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, before the presumed archival of this thread, I'd just like to say that provided he's not downloadable content or a "3DS to Wii U connectivity unlock" character, I'll continue to support Mewtwo's inclusion. It was bad enough getting demoted to a mere trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl - if he's not playable, he should at least be a Poke Ball/Master Ball Pokemon. Even the recent "Genesect" movie and two Mega Evolutions weren't enough to make him "priority". As much as I love the concept and "WTF-ness" of Wii Fit Trainer, I would probably trade her/him/them for Mewtwo's return (and it would possibly take less time, since Mewtwo already has a devised movset). Ideally, I would love to keep Wii Fit Trainer in and use all the resources that were geared towards Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit, delaying the game by whatever amount is needed to restore Mewtwo to proper playable status. He should be playable on disk, not shafted to downloadable content.

And as "beloved" as the veteran Jigglypuff is, it just baffles me that she has been playable throughout the entirety of the Super Smash Bros. series to date while Mewtwo (who is practically synonymous with "power" in Pokemon) is relegated to just 1 game. I mean, Jigglypuff isn't even that relevant in the Pokemon anime anymore, let alone most of the core series Pokemon games! I mean, I guess good job for Jigglypuff providing a unique "easy to make" moveset, but sheesh.. I really wish Mewtwo and Jigglypuff had switched places during Super Smash Bros. 64's development (with Mewtwo being playable since SSB64, and Jigglypuff just being limited to Melee); he makes way more sense as a "Nintendo All-Star"/series veteran then Jigglypuff does. Honestly, how does a questionable-of-strength pink jiggling puff (albeit cute) outclass a powerful, menacing, psychic feral cat clone in this day and age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom