• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

F.L.U.D.D. combo (and stuff on cape)

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
Bravo, Mike Hawk!

That video really shows that F.L.U.D.D. is more useful than more people give it credit for.

By the way... Fox and Falco's Side + B are possible to cape. You simply have to use your cape right when they "sparkle" (right before the dash). If you do it any later than that, the cape will come out too slow. If you can anticipate the dash, I recommend starting with a cape attack rather than F.L.U.D.D. so that you can actually knock the person out.

I noticed that they used their Side + B attack in the air a lot. If you can jump up and use your cape right as they start the dash, then quickly drop down and use F.L.U.D.D., you might be able to get easy kills right there. I would verify this, but no one in my house uses Fox and Falco. =/

P.S. Do you guys agree with this general rule of thumb?
If the opponent is slightly above the stage, shoot diagonally upwards. (More air time = More chances to cape/skeet the opponent off the stage)

Also, shooting at the top of the opponent's jump sounds like a great idea. Thanks for suggesting that.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Bravo, Mike Hawk!

That video really shows that F.L.U.D.D. is more useful than more people give it credit for.

By the way... Fox and Falco's Side + B are possible to cape. You simply have to use your cape right when they "sparkle" (right before the dash). If you do it any later than that, the cape will come out too slow. If you can anticipate the dash, I recommend starting with a cape attack rather than F.L.U.D.D. so that you can actually knock the person out.

I noticed that they used their Side + B attack in the air a lot. If you can jump up and use your cape right as they start the dash, then quickly drop down and use F.L.U.D.D., you might be able to get easy kills right there. I would verify this, but no one in my house uses Fox and Falco. =/

P.S. Do you guys agree with this general rule of thumb?
If the opponent is slightly above the stage, shoot diagonally upwards. (More air time = More chances to cape/skeet the opponent off the stage)

Also, shooting at the top of the opponent's jump sounds like a great idea. Thanks for suggesting that.
I would say it depends. When enemy is slightly above the stage there´s possibility that shooting actually diagonally downwards could put them go below the ledge thus forcing them to use U-b in a very predictable way giving you change to interrupt their return (of course depending from the character) or just finish them right off if they have used their U-b or try to recover horizontally. And straight horizontal shooting might in some situations be enough to push people down as its own. But I think that it´s often best to shoot them up in order to give you time to follow up with midairs, cape or F.L.U.D.D. (oh what the heck, skeetmachine) just like you said. There´s only one problem: it´ll also give people more time to DI back to the stage.

If opponent is high up, shooting them upwards would again give them more air time, but also more time to DI back to the stage. But on the other hand it would give you more time to attack them before they can land. So I think that the two things that matter are whether enemy has used his third jump (in which case I would shoot him diagonally up) or not (allowing him to attack with midair to outpriorise yours, again depending from the character).

NHP54

Smash Rookie
Whoa, I totally underestimated Fludd's uses. In fact, I never even realized that you could aim it up or down >.>.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
For those who didn't know...

F.L.U.D.D. charging in mid-air can be canceled with an air dodge.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
For those who didn't know...

F.L.U.D.D. charging in mid-air can be canceled with an air dodge.
I didn´t know that, thanks! Although it propably isn´t going to be that useful, it´s always better to have more options.

But on completely different topic, I have been wondering for a while, why F.L.U.D.D. doesn´t react differently to fire based attacks, since fire-element clearly exists in Brawl? (if you don´t believe me, believe Dojo: )

Sakurai said:
Hit these with a strong attack or fire-based attack to detonate the blast box, causing a huge explosion that blows anything in the area away.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
I didn´t know that, thanks! Although it propably isn´t going to be that useful, it´s always better to have more options.

But on completely different topic, I have been wondering for a while, why F.L.U.D.D. doesn´t react differently to fire based attacks, since fire-element clearly exists in Brawl? (if you don´t believe me, believe Dojo: )
lmao i wonder if FLUDD kills red pikmin or dissipates Charizard/Bowser flames. O:

but anyways, yea... thanks for this thread, i'm def gonna try Mario now. he seems like a really good counter against Ikes and space animals. i didn't really like him so much in Melee when it was just a cape, but **** @ cape + Fludd kills.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
It's tend to use it when I accidentally start charging F.L.U.D.D. in the air. :laugh:

I have no answer to your second question, so I didn't quote it.

Other: Cape -> F.L.U.D.D. is basically a free kill against Ness and Lucas. I took out 4 level 9 Ness/Lucas characters in somewhat rapid succession using it. Basically, you just have to get them off the ledge without throwing them too high into the air (it's still possible to do it if they go high up, but it's a little harder). This takes away their first jump. Stand by the edge and wait for the person to use his second jump. Counter with your cape. Here's the fun part... Once the player uses PK Thunder, spray him to his doom with F.L.U.D.D.. If the person launches himself high up, just use your cape again. If the person goes straight toward the stage, use cape or F.L.U.D.D.. (I recommend cape) Also, you can aim for the PK Thunder instead of Ness/Lucas if you're feeling really crazy. Even better, you can actually cancel the PK Thunder AND hit Ness/Lucas with the same F.L.U.D.D. burst. (Well, at least it seemed like I was canceling PK Thunder every so often.)

The only way this MIGHT be countered is if the Ness/Lucas player goes under the edge and shoots himself straight up. I'm going to test this out if possible, then see if I can figure out a counter to this. (I'm thinking a cape towards the stage or an uncharged F.L.U.D.D. burst towards the stage would push the player just enough so that he won't reach the edge of the stage)

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Other: Cape -> F.L.U.D.D. is basically a free kill against Ness and Lucas. I took out 4 level 9 Ness/Lucas characters in somewhat rapid succession using it. Basically, you just have to get them off the ledge without throwing them too high into the air (it's still possible to do it if they go high up, but it's a little harder). This takes away their first jump. Stand by the edge and wait for the person to use his second jump. Counter with your cape. Here's the fun part... Once the player uses PK Thunder, spray him to his doom with F.L.U.D.D.. If the person launches himself high up, just use your cape again. If the person goes straight toward the stage, use cape or F.L.U.D.D.. (I recommend cape) Also, you can aim for the PK Thunder instead of Ness/Lucas if you're feeling really crazy. Even better, you can actually cancel the PK Thunder AND hit Ness/Lucas with the same F.L.U.D.D. burst. (Well, at least it seemed like I was canceling PK Thunder every so often.)

The only way this MIGHT be countered is if the Ness/Lucas player goes under the edge and shoots himself straight up. I'm going to test this out if possible, then see if I can figure out a counter to this. (I'm thinking a cape towards the stage or an uncharged F.L.U.D.D. burst towards the stage would push the player just enough so that he won't reach the edge of the stage)
There´s a very good way to counter situation where Ness/Lucas tries to recover straight up: jump over them but don´t attack. When they use PK thunder it hits you sending you back up and they can´t do anything but fall down. Just make sure you hit PK thunder before they direct it to themselves or you´re in for some major pain :ohwell:... But F.L.U.D.D. can always be used in earlier part of their recovery to prevent them ever even getting close enough to fall directly below the ledge.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to love Mario's FLUDD. You don't really need to charge it to get a good blast out of it, uncharged it still has plenty of movement properties.

Gimping people that are off-stage has proven more successful now that I've learned to aim it. In particular people like Marth who don't have great horizontal recovery are impacted pretty noticeably, and you can't really air dodge around a FLUDD blast due to the duration. It also has a surprising amount of "priority" in that it will totally screw with approaches like Ike's Side-B.

Definitely an underappreciated move, it just takes some learning in terms of when to apply it.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I'm starting to love Mario's FLUDD. You don't really need to charge it to get a good blast out of it, uncharged it still has plenty of movement properties.

Gimping people that are off-stage has proven more successful now that I've learned to aim it. In particular people like Marth who don't have great horizontal recovery are impacted pretty noticeably, and you can't really air dodge around a FLUDD blast due to the duration. It also has a surprising amount of "priority" in that it will totally screw with approaches like Ike's Side-B.

Definitely an underappreciated move, it just takes some learning in terms of when to apply it.
The reason why I love the fact that Mario has F.L.U.D.D. in Brawl is actually exactly the nature of attack it resemples. It must be studied well and used creatively to make it useful, but when used right it´s versatile and devastating in some situations. I´ve always preferred characters that must be played with real tactics and dedication more than so called "easy ones" (although I don´t think that SSBB really has the latter ones).

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
The reason why I love the fact that Mario has F.L.U.D.D. in Brawl is actually exactly the nature of attack it resemples. It must be studied well and used creatively to make it useful, but when used right it´s versatile and devastating in some situations. I´ve always preferred characters that must be played with real tactics and dedication more than so called "easy ones" (although I don´t think that SSBB really has the latter ones).
the game does have easy characters, her name is marth and i call her ms. "press some buttons and let me do the work for you"

frodragon

Smash Rookie
Wow, reading through this thread and seeing the videos has changed my mind on FLUDD's usefulness. BTW if we're calling using FLUDD "skeeting", can we call FLUDD -> cape "super manning" or "the super man combo"? Just throwing it out there....

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
You sir, are a genius. I'm in for calling that combo the superman.

drewlynoted

Smash Cadet
for the pk's, is it possible to cape their actual pk thunder tackle/charge?

if it isn't then skeeting and caping is alright too

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
Wow, reading through this thread and seeing the videos has changed my mind on FLUDD's usefulness. BTW if we're calling using FLUDD "skeeting", can we call FLUDD -> cape "super manning" or "the super man combo"? Just throwing it out there....
do you have a fan club if so where do i sign up? great name, superman combo it is.

XLR

Smash Rookie
I find the Fludd a good spacing tool since mario lacks range. Now let me explain this paradoxical statement: The Fludd brings up a whole new defensive (and possibly offensive) gameplay to mario. I find it useful to disrupt approaches from opponents from the air, as it will stall them long enough for them to come into sweetspot range of the Fsmash, or for a combo.

Unless it's just me, now when I'm facing opponents such as marth, or spam happy people like olimar(Or perhaps all those "easy characters"), I'm not so intimidated because I've developed a whole new mentality when using the Fludd: "Trying to hit me eh? Well see if you can hit this! *SKEET IN THE FACE*"

I believe it's best to take up a more defensive playstyle then an aggressive one in brawl, and with mario you've got all of that and much more.

Oh yeah, and also with the cape, I've never tried this out myself, but I've only dreamt of doing it. There is technique with you being able to launch yourself forward (almost like flying) off the edge of a platform/stage with the cape, look for the thread around here, I forgot what it's called. Anyways, I thought it would be cool if you fludd someone off the stage, completely stalling them horizontally from you, then you use this cape technique to launch yourself from the stage all the while pushing your opponent back, then finishing with another cape or Fair. I don't know how practical it would be, or even possible, but it would be the Flashiest :)

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I find the Fludd a good spacing tool since mario lacks range. Now let me explain this paradoxical statement: The Fludd brings up a whole new defensive (and possibly offensive) gameplay to mario. I find it useful to disrupt approaches from opponents from the air, as it will stall them long enough for them to come into sweetspot range of the Fsmash, or for a combo.

Unless it's just me, now when I'm facing opponents such as marth, or spam happy people like olimar(Or perhaps all those "easy characters"), I'm not so intimidated because I've developed a whole new mentality when using the Fludd: "Trying to hit me eh? Well see if you can hit this! *SKEET IN THE FACE*"

I believe it's best to take up a more defensive playstyle then an aggressive one in brawl, and with mario you've got all of that and much more.

Oh yeah, and also with the cape, I've never tried this out myself, but I've only dreamt of doing it. There is technique with you being able to launch yourself forward (almost like flying) off the edge of a platform/stage with the cape, look for the thread around here, I forgot what it's called. Anyways, I thought it would be cool if you fludd someone off the stage, completely stalling them horizontally from you, then you use this cape technique to launch yourself from the stage all the while pushing your opponent back, then finishing with another cape or Fair. I don't know how practical it would be, or even possible, but it would be the Flashiest :)
find thread. now.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
This is sexy, I want to try. Now all I need is a copy of brawl...=/
Same here. Curse you Nintendo...

I actually thought that it would be flashy to kill someone by using the ACE for edgeguard, but I didn't realise that it would be even flashier to combine it with F.L.U.D.D. Great idea XLR! I don't really care whether it's possible or not, I'm going to use it anyway. Just wait till EU release of Brawl...

Edit: Wow, this threat is 5 pages already! Although I didn't start this, I thank everyone who has particiated to this, and according the posts it has been useful at least to some people. To celeprate this I'm going to list things invented/discusted in this thread so far.

1: Skeeting = shooting with F.L.U.D.D.

2: Superman combo = combination of F.L.U.D.D. and cape used in edgeguard, resulting to enemy's fall

3: Midair protection= skeeting enemy who's attacking with midair attack so that he lands in front of you, allowing you to counterattack

4: Projectile protection = using cape against fast-moving projectiles and F.L.U.D.D. against slower ones

5: Trajectory changing = skeeting moving enemy to change his trajectory to penefit you (against spacies' side-b etc.)

6: Recovery = using F.L.U.D.D. in air to move you towards the stage

7: Water spacing = skeeting enemies/allies further from you or closer to each other to gain benefit

8: Air-charging cancel = using midair dodge to cancel loading of F.L.U.D.D. while in midair

9: Charge delay = leaving F.L.U.D.D. slightly uncharged for mindgames or later load>shoot situation

10: Airtime increasing = shooting airborne enemy to keep him in the air longer (to give you time to attack him)

11: Hangman´s destroyer = positioning yourself so that you can counter rising opponents´ roll with smash, jump with aerial and every other way of rising with F.L.U.D.D.

12: Finisher = skeeting enemy out of bounds

13: Combo finisher = skeeting enemy after a succesful combo to allow you to start new one or to send your enemy a bit further

*Most of the names were invented by me just for this post, they're not official or anything, I just wanted to name them for easier listing.

I think that there´s everything that´s been talked.

XLR

Smash Rookie
This is off topic, but: Half-split soul, don't you know there's a wii-freeloader out/going to be out? Get to it man!

Now that I think about it, it would be possible to implement this crazy combo. I mean, after all, you can set up the ACE/super cape to Fair(aka Super-fist?) KO with the Fludd, amirite?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Dunno if this had already been contributed or whatnot, but I use FLUDD mainly for gimping. Basically, after characters like DDD or Kirby are off the stage, usually after A backthrow at the beginning of the match, you wait for them to use their up-B. Since they can no longer control their vertical recovery until they've touched solid ground, you skeet all over them (I'm gonna love saying that) and push them out of range to grab the ledge. They slowly fall to their death and doesn't require a cape so pressure to land one is off.

For characters like Diddy who need to charge their Up-B, you skeet them out of range while they're stationary in the air. It's also an excellent tool for spacing airborne opponents far enough to sweetspot your Fsmash before they touch the ground. There's my input.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
This is off topic, but: Half-split soul, don't you know there's a wii-freeloader out/going to be out? Get to it man!
I know about it, but heard that it doesn´t work with updated wiis. Got to look out for more information...

MaverickZer0

Smash Cadet
I've been matching together Chars to see their strengths/weaknesses, pitting them in a 3-stock, between 2 level 9 CPU.... I've interestingly found out that Marios strategies tend to lay heavily on edgeguarding with the cape. For example, when Fox/Falco blast off towards the edge, Mario capes them and they fling the opposite direction... seeing as the cape doesn't damage them, they don't get to jump again and fall to their death.

Same goes with Pikachu's Quick attack, DK's Spin, Pit's gliding etc...

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Will something like this also work for Squirtle's water gun? Or no, because you can't aim it?

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
no, mostly because squirtle has no cape.
Agreed.

I actually prefer Water Gun over F.L.U.D.D. (alone), but Mario's Cape is simply perfect with F.L.U.D.D. and Squirtle has nothing similar to it.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
Mike Hawk's Combo Video

well about time i posted something new here. i made a combo video, its not centered on fludd but more on using all of mario's killing moves in harmony

Fludd
Cape
Meteor
Smash

you know that kinda reminds me of captain planet

earth - meteor
fire - smash
wind - cape
water - fludd

by your powers combined, I AM CAPTAIN... okay never mind.

I have also started working on a never complete mario guide with due recognition to all the awesome players who contributed on finding things that makes mario the broken high tier character he is.

anyways all this talking and i forgot to give you guys the video link to my combo video

Mario's World

sure i could've just inserted it somewhere between right when i realized i never gave the link, but where is the fun in that?

edit: i would like to personally thank all the mario mainers for your support of this topic, it is the most viewed topic on the whole boards.

theguyfromlabyrinth

Smash Cadet
wow, Mike, I like it. I like it a lot. I haven't had the opportunity to play much brawl for various reasons mostly involving bad timing, and I kind of wrote Mario off because I didn't like him that much in the others. But your video is awesome. Next time I play, I will definitely try me out some more Mario.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Same here. Curse you Nintendo...

I actually thought that it would be flashy to kill someone by using the ACE for edgeguard, but I didn't realise that it would be even flashier to combine it with F.L.U.D.D. Great idea XLR! I don't really care whether it's possible or not, I'm going to use it anyway. Just wait till EU release of Brawl...

Edit: Wow, this threat is 5 pages already! Although I didn't start this, I thank everyone who has particiated to this, and according the posts it has been useful at least to some people. To celeprate this I'm going to list things invented/discusted in this thread so far.

1: Skeeting = shooting with F.L.U.D.D.

2: Superman combo = combination of F.L.U.D.D. and cape used in edgeguard, resulting to enemy's fall

3: Midair protection= skeeting enemy who's attacking with midair attack so that he lands in front of you, allowing you to counterattack

4: Projectile protection = using cape against fast-moving projectiles and F.L.U.D.D. against slower ones

5: Trajectory changing = skeeting moving enemy to change his trajectory to penefit you (against spacies' side-b etc.)

6: Recovery = using F.L.U.D.D. in air to move you towards the stage

7: Water spacing = skeeting enemies/allies further from you or closer to each other to gain benefit

8: Air-charging cancel = using midair dodge to cancel loading of F.L.U.D.D. while in midair

9: Charge delay = leaving F.L.U.D.D. slightly uncharged for mindgames or later load>shoot situation

10: Airtime increasing = shooting airborne enemy to keep him in the air longer (to give you time to attack him)

11: Hangman´s destroyer = positioning yourself so that you can counter rising opponents´ roll with smash, jump with aerial and every other way of rising with F.L.U.D.D.

12: Finisher = skeeting enemy out of bounds

13: Combo finisher = skeeting enemy after a succesful combo to allow you to start new one or to send your enemy a bit further

*Most of the names were invented by me just for this post, they're not official or anything, I just wanted to name them for easier listing.

I think that there´s everything that´s been talked.
Hahaha pretty much sums it up. LOL, the 13 commandments of FLUDD, you should edit your post and add in the "thou" and "shall" in your context. You should also change your user name to Smash-Man-Moses. Joking, but anyways, great summary.
:bigthumbu

???????

Smash Journeyman
He could be if we can find a way around his poor tilt and grab range; he truely has everything this time around, just a bit short with his tilts and grabs.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
He could be if we can find a way around his poor tilt and grab range; he truely has everything this time around, just a bit short with his tilts and grabs.
His dash attack is one of the best for me. I don't know; it just seems to hit better than most.
Also, I like to fireball, then dash grab. i works 80% of the time.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I know Mario has great options of approach, it's just the range on its own makes those attacks hard to use without a setup; what we need is something that can completely make up for those moves' short range (Tilts and grabs).

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I know Mario has great options of approach, it's just the range on its own makes those attacks hard to use without a setup; what we need is something that can completely make up for those move's short range (Tilts and grabs).
I guess you'll just have to experiment. ;)

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Hahaha pretty much sums it up. LOL, the 13 commandments of FLUDD, you should edit your post and add in the "thou" and "shall" in your context. You should also change your user name to Smash-Man-Moses. Joking, but anyways, great summary.
:bigthumbu
Thanks, maybe I should change it into more "legend like" form... or I´ll just make a F.L.U.D.D. guide when brawl is out in Europe... yes, that sounds better. I´ll do that.

well about time i posted something new here. i made a combo video, its not centered on fludd but more on using all of mario's killing moves in harmony

Fludd
Cape
Meteor
Smash

you know that kinda reminds me of captain planet

earth - meteor
fire - smash
wind - cape
water - fludd

by your powers combined, I AM CAPTAIN... okay never mind.

I have also started working on a never complete mario guide with due recognition to all the awesome players who contributed on finding things that makes mario the broken high tier character he is.

anyways all this talking and i forgot to give you guys the video link to my combo video

Mario's World

sure i could've just inserted it somewhere between right when i realized i never gave the link, but where is the fun in that?

edit: i would like to personally thank all the mario mainers for your support of this topic, it is the most viewed topic on the whole boards.
Bravo, Mike Hawk, bravo. This video is win. Enjoy your victory music, you´ve earned it. I´m eager to see your future vids and Mario guide.

Top Bottom