• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extremely Useful Inormation Regarding Grenades. Edit: And Nikita

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Grenades:

When I said I'd find a good use for grenades I didn't think I'd find THIS good of a use for them.

Ok, ok, so If you guys didn't know if an enemy attacks a grenade (doesnt have to be a fire attack, it can be an aerial/smash/tilt) it causes the grenade to explode (except pit's arrows for some reason?) Now that you know that if you didn't already know you can also drop grenades by shielding while holding a grenade.

Now here is the glorious part...

If you take out a grenade and approach your enemy and shield right before they hit you... it causes them to hit your grenade forcing it to explode doing damage to them while you safely shield the attacks.

I did this many, many times yesterday, it doesn't always work but I got it to work most of the time. :)

Nikita:

This is also some pretty good information regarding the nikita (snake's side B). The nikita can travel through any attack from what I've seen without getting destroyed, I've seen if go through things like Samus' fully charged shots, and Ike's Forward Smash. All an attack does to the nikita is cause it to change directions depending on how strong the attack hittings it is.

Also I've discovered the perfect way to edgeguard anyone with a tether recovery on FD, If you fly the nikita between them and the stage when they tether recover it should spike them against the stage when they retract the tether

It worked every time for me :)

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
Sounds awesome.

How good time does your timing have to be? Is there room for error, or do you have to practically powershield their attack?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Sounds awesome.

How good time does your timing have to be? Is there room for error, or do you have to practically powershield their attack?
it doesn't have to be that precise... It's mostly depending on what attack your enemy uses, as in the range of it. If its sweeping your entire shield plus the ground its guaranteed to hit them

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
That does sound useful, nice finds.

To bad Brawl is so far away, I can't test these things for myself. Xd

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. I think Snake is shaping up to be a high tier character. Maybe not top tier, but close to it. Not only does he have fantastic mindgame potential, but thanks to the nikita and his mines, he can be a very potent edgeguarder as well.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... Snake is really sounding like an intricate, unique character (with a lot of potential).

Great information Psycho. =)

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Snake is going to be underused which will make it more glorious when snake users win.

VU!?

Smash Cadet
I find using dropping grenades and rolling away to be pretty useful against close range players. If you know Huy, ask him how bad *** I was doing =)

Anti-

Smash Rookie
If a player grabs you while you are holding a grenade, does it also trigger the explosion?

Doodle2000

Smash Cadet
I played Snake for 3 days! He is awesome there so many mind games into his moves and his fair is a spike!

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
This is amazing news! At first I thought that Snake's explosives wouldn't be a big deal, but ALL of them appear to be very useful.
The grenade basically counters attacks while you block, the nikita is a great edge guard, and C4 sticks to people. Snake seems much more interesting now.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Downsmash sucks. You're just as vulnerable to it as they are. It's only useful if the other guy has a worse memory than you do. Also, I find mine disappear off-screen for no reason when I try to throw people into them. The timer is super-short.

I still use them though. I guess between downsmash and C4, you can limit the fight to one part of the stage, which in some cases can help you spam Nikitas or mortars.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Yesterday when i was playing, i tried to hit Fox's firefox with the Nikita, and it seems to be hitting slowly and was stuck in the fire. The bogus thing is that it didnt stop the Up+B and fox made it back onto the stage. My missle was completely gimped.

Shifty McSly

Smash Cadet
ridiculous? ... or hilarious?

That shield/nade dropping thing looks really useful, I found the nades pretty useless last time I played. The nikitas totally rock, it's not too hard to predict where your opponent is going to be if they have to recover to the stage, then you can just be a ******* and nikita them repeatedly from a safe distance. Great fun. Dropping them on people when they think they've evaded them is also great.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
ridiculous? ... or hilarious?

That shield/nade dropping thing looks really useful, I found the nades pretty useless last time I played. The nikitas totally rock, it's not too hard to predict where your opponent is going to be if they have to recover to the stage, then you can just be a ******* and nikita them repeatedly from a safe distance. Great fun. Dropping them on people when they think they've evaded them is also great.
The Snake in that video is terrible. Not a single Ftilt, Dtilt, or Utilt. He also blew himself up quite a few times.

forward

Smash Champion
Good **** psycho. Grenade shield tricks are the real way to play snake.

Run in with a grenade, shield and roll behind, jab series, it pushes them into the grenade explosion and they bounce back, grab. LOL.

Jump in grenade into roll back works well, then you get a lot of options from there.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
I'll most likely main him considering how much fun he is to play and I'm a huuuuuge fan of the Metal Gear Solid series.

Oooooo maan
Heheh, I'm in the same boat. You've got some pretty impressive Snake gameplay vid's up from that tourny, looking forward to seeing more from you.

Kyune

Smash Rookie
Grenades:
If you take out a grenade and approach your enemy and shield right before they hit you... it causes them to hit your grenade forcing it to explode doing damage to them while you safely shield the attacks.
What happens when you spot dodge or air dodge with a grenade in hand? I couldn't really tell from the video posted in the thread, but also my sight might just be terrible, hah.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
I think that as soon as you hit the shield button, Snake drops the grenade, no? So if you spot-dodge a grenade, you should still be fine, as well as if you airdodge during the detonation of a grenade, assuming that you can airdodge while priming your grenade.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
Grenades:

I did this many, many times yesterday, it doesn't always work but I got it to work most of the time. :)

:)

That is freakn awsm i can't wait till the first time i play with somenoe theyll be like how the hell do you know how to do this crap the game just came out? I have a snake grenade realted question.

I noticed that when snakes grenade is thrown it takes a while to explode. Even when you hit the opponent with it it just kinda bounces of em. Is it possible to cook the grenade and throw it just before it explodes?

Percon

Smash Lord
I actually noticed this myself the other day. Even if they don't attack you, pressing sheild causes it to drop, which is still pretty useful. Combined with C4 and dsmash it really makes the enemy wary of where to move. Though, admittedly, dsmash isn't terribly useful.

Yeah... and with Nikita... yeah, I find that pretty funny. If you can actually get it off before Pit's light arrows, it'll block them for you while it makes its way to the opponent (though you need to "reset" the height). I found that pretty funny.

The following is kind of unrelated, but I was hoping this topic would be a big discussion of sorts for Snake strats/info.

Dthrow... chaingrabbing is hard, but possible. It requires pretty good prediction, though (I know most of you know this already but bear with me). Uh... I don't actually HAVE brawl yet, so I can't test this out, but has anyone tried Dthrow > Fsmash behind you if they roll behind you? Seems like it might work...

Uh... roll to utilt works pretty good. What's the fastest way to exit the crawl stance? Is there even a fastest way? I might need to test this out next time I play...

Gotta <3 Snake. That is all.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
I had a match vs. DEHF where my Nikita went through about 5 of pit's arrows, it should be up soon

and yea shielding drops the grenade I thought I said that somewhere but I guess I didn't

Percon

Smash Lord
^ Actually, you did, but I guess I didn't read it too carefully. :/

But yeah... I didn't like grenades at first, but I'm really digging them now. :)

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
PsychoMidget, my friend Reverted doesn't even own the game, but one day he watched a ton of your videos and the next time he played he was ****** some ****. Awesome Snake stuff, man.

Vicko

Smash Journeyman
I want to add onto how PM said he drops grenades and picks them back up for more mobility. What I like doing is dropping then picking up, and you can actually throw farther and in any direction, rather than lob. Also, you can combine this with the roll-cancel throw like peach can do with her turnips. If you cook the grenades a bit and throw them at a falling character from above you, its faster than the mortar and is almost as powerful. It works really great against bigger characters too.

otter

Smash Ace
After you condition your opponent to the grenade trick he will be scared to attack whenever your holding a grenade. It's like a Marth counter that lets you move with you're doing it.

Whenever your opponent needs to UpB to recover, could you just toss a grenade off and let them set it off with their attack?

HardPuppet

Smash Rookie
Cooking the gernade then shielding for the counter is an amazing find. What caused it to not work? Man, I'm stoked about this, a make-shift counter-attack. Hats off.

HP

Top Bottom