• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Experimenting with 1.1 Damage

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I have some vids of 1.1 damage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXp2XA1zVwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYNX_X0Ihg8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFX-QEaweY

I'm kind of interested to see what other people think about it (who have, or can test it as well)

I'm noticing kills around 100-130% from the stage, and 75% from off the side or in the air.

I'm not entirely sure if I prefer this setting, because I haven't tested it enough. However, I do notice that it alleviates the problem of 130-180% of each stock being rather slow paced.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Definitely not HG. I've been playing with it enough to figure out that it renders some characters almost useless, due to their Up B's.

So far I haven't seen anything that ruins 1.1 damage yet. That's why I'm asking for people to experiment with it, to see if it's fair.

Edit: here's another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gumPOVYNops

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
STOP, _ MAKING, _ THIS, _ MELEE, _ 2. _ 0._ PLEASE

/gets sick
/epic facepalm
/close

Don't you see that in 1.1 some characters like Ike or Dedede might be broken? They are enough powerful for now, but with this, they can kill at 0%...

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Hi, thanks for ****ting in my thread. Am I not allowed to test out different gameplay variables?

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Hi, thanks for ****ting in my thread. Am I not allowed to test out different gameplay variables?
And why don't you practice with you characters and see new combos, strategies, or just have fun?

Really, is sicking me, sorry for ****ing your thread, but is the truth, this is a nonsense :/

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
STFU yoshi_fan. Brawl is the type of game that lets you play any way you want. If I want to have a coin match god **** it, I will, and no one is going to stop me (not that I'd ever want to have a coin match, but I like that the option is there :p)

Hitage

Smash Cadet
the matches seem too short to me but maybe its because i've been watching too many brawl vids.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
It definitely makes the pace of the game seem a lot quicker, doesn't it? I mean, for some reason, I get the feeling that the characters are moving at a much quicker pace then they normaly would.

The low percentage kills concern me a bit, though. Jigglypuff got killed at 50 something percent with Luigi's timed up B. Is that...okay? :p

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
No i dont think it will work. Like what Yoshi fan said, some characters would be too broken, and people are dying too early. Example: In your Luigi vs Jigglypuff video, i saw Luigi get Ko'd pretty quickly at 112% with just a fair. Now that SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING. If only there was a 1.05 damage or something like that, that would be much better.

kirborg

Smash Cadet
these boards are getting flooded with attempts to "improve" the natural game. why not just play the normal setting for a month or three, get an early perspective on tiers and character abilities and THEN consider which game modifications might be benificial to competitive gameplay.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Just a note to everyone...I'm not asking for anything to become a competitive standard.
Most people don't even HAVE the game yet.

I'm just asking for input and experimentation on different modes from those who can give it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
STFU yoshi_fan. Brawl is the type of game that lets you play any way you want. If I want to have a coin match god **** it, I will, and no one is going to stop me (not that I'd ever want to have a coin match, but I like that the option is there :p)
Hey, since you mentioned it, and since this thread is kinda about game modes anyway... what is there besides Stock, Time and Coin? Is "Decision" mode back? Is there anything new?

I don't know where this information is available yet.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Can we please try playing the game for awhile before we decide that we should make it more like Melee? It's been like... A week since the game came out.

M.K

Level 55
^Agreed to the extent of the end of the world.

I think the problem is Melee, everyone wants Brawl to be just like it. It's like trying to be pro at a racing game when your true talent lies in a fighter -.-

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Hey, since you mentioned it, and since this thread is kinda about game modes anyway... what is there besides Stock, Time and Coin? Is "Decision" mode back? Is there anything new?

I don't know where this information is available yet.

Ahh yes, I would like to know this too.

I used Stock 90% of the time, but other than that I owuld use 'Bonus'. Not Time, or Coin. I don't like them...

So, is 'Bonus' back? :)

billywill

Smash Journeyman
Just play the game with the intended settings for a little im sure u will like it much better than melee in the long run

usea

Smash Ace
The reason you have so many negative reactions to your good-intentioned thread is that you say 1.1
"alleviates the problem of [...] each stock being rather slow paced."
You never say why the new pace is slow, or why it's a problem. So it's implied (or inferred) that you mean it's too dissimilar from melee and you want to make it more like melee.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Did yoshi_fan say anything to you? No? Why yell at him and tell HIM to shut up? You're the one looking like an ***.

By the way, using "STFU" makes you look more like a n00b. One can't take someone seriously when they use STFU.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
1.1 damage does not mean melee 2.0 Just because someone wants to try something other than the normal settings and see if it is indeed better doesn't mean they want Brawl to be like melee.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
BUT ITS DEE N00B SAUCE TO PLAY HOW YOUZ WANT. YOU CANT PLAY LIK DAT. REAL MEN YOUZES ITEMS. YOU CANT CHANGE SETTINZ. SAKURAI NO LIK. SMASH IS ONLY FUN IN ONE WAI. YOU CANT ENJOI IT YOR OWN WAI!

Veysey

Smash Cadet
If its too slow paced, doesn't that just mean that players will likely play with fewer (3 seems reasonable) stock? I'm assuming by your post that you mean 4 stock matches are too drawn out/take too much time?

If you are just trying to make the game feel more Melee like, then I actually suggest you keep playing Melee rather then trying to make Brawl more Melee like. Some players preferred SSB64 and kept playing that over Melee, I doubt anyone would give you grief if you decided Melee was more your kind of game.

I think it'd be better if you edited your post stating why exactly you're doing this and what you're trying to accomplish. People might get the wrong impression.

shingles

Smash Rookie
Why do half of the people in this topic not seem to notice that the creator is just playing around with these settings for fun? He's saying "Huh, this might be interesting to play with, guys :o," not "GUYS THIS SHOULD BE THE NEW TOURNAMENT STANDARD BECAUSE IT MAKES BRAWL MORE LIKE MELEE." So what if he thinks that Brawl is a bit slow? He's entitled to his own opinion, and he doesn't need to justify it because that isn't the point of this thread.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
The reason you have so many negative reactions to your good-intentioned thread is that you say 1.1
"alleviates the problem of [...] each stock being rather slow paced."
You never say why the new pace is slow, or why it's a problem. So it's implied (or inferred) that you mean it's too dissimilar from melee and you want to make it more like melee.

Actually, let me elaborate on that.

From my impressions, when a character is at a high percent (130%+) It's still somewhat difficult to knock them out in Brawl. What ends up happening a lot of times, is the high percent character gets batted around for the next few minutes and is floating around the top of the screen.

While it is true that recovery is relatively easier, and the high percent character can inflict some damage on the other player when he lands. What will happen is, the other character gets in a single hit, high %er goes flying off into the distance (doesn't die) and eventually ends up on the stage again. Repeat until someone gets in a good smash, or they rack up enough % to get killed by a tilt.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
1.1 damage does not mean melee 2.0 Just because someone wants to try something other than the normal settings and see if it is indeed better doesn't mean they want Brawl to be like melee.
But see, thats the thing. One of the big complaints thus far with brawl is that people are saying the matches are taking too long. Think of it this way, if we were dying at much lower percentages than melee, people would be trying a .9x dmg instead of a 1.1.

It seems as if people are trying to quickly to turn this back into melee before learning to love it as brawl

spindash

Smash Ace
But see, thats the thing. One of the big complaints thus far with brawl is that people are saying the matches are taking too long. Think of it this way, if we were dying at much lower percentages than melee, people would be trying a .9x dmg instead of a 1.1.

It seems as if people are trying to quickly to turn this back into melee before learning to love it as brawl
This is exactly why I'm getting pissed off with all of these options of altering the basic system of Brawl that's presented to us. Items and stages are one thing, but the other settings are extras for a reason. But, I'll let everyone tinker with whatever they want to. It's an opinion, after all.

Once again, if the settings for the competitive scene are altered outside of the standard method of playing, I'm hanging up the towel for professional status. Call me shallow, but I'll play Brawl, thank you. XD

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Ugh. Quit trying to make Brawl like melee. Seriously. Get used to it or don't play it at all.

AlbinoMonk

Smash Cadet
Reading flames is my hobby.

BTW Maxpower, its "precision" not "decision" because you have to be precise with your choices to get more points, I think. Decision never made sense for me (I heard it too) and tried to listen for what it 'should' be :)

EDIT: I have no idea if bonus is back.

WoodyDave

Smash Apprentice
Lets ***** about something when we dont even know why we're *****ing about it in the first place.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
So if we don't like normal we are just supposed to drop the game and leave instead of trying out different options?
You can play however you want but don't expect tourney rules to accommodate your needs just because you want another Melee. Play however at home/with friends, but expect normal gameplay in tournies.

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
STOP TRYING TO MAKE BRAWL MELEE 2.0!!

Seriously i know more than half of u guys havent even touched brawl..."oh but i seen tons of vids on youtube" NO! u FAIL! im tired of these threads..Brawl is awsome just the way it is! You guys need to realize that. Its such a great game. You guys, (not saying everyone) but rather ppl who makes or thinks about making these threads, are too busy trying to make brawl melee 2.0 that your completely missing how great brawl is!

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
It is rather annoying how everyone is trying to make Brawl as much like Melee as possible...

I think we should just stick with 3 stock matches to make them go quicker.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Well, consider this:

Brawl on normal settings works perfectly for 4 player matches (2v2 or FFA)
It's not nearly as chaotic as melee, so you can tell what's going on. However, it's still extremely fun. I believe Brawl was designed heavily for 4 player matches in mind.

What most competitive players play: 1v1 no items matches, in comparison, are genuinely much slower paced.

Top Bottom