• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Expecting another character? TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!" (Thread Repurposed as a Waluigi Social)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldTrainRider

Smash Cadet
I feel that they should give him his moves maybe based on the sports games he was in (tennis, baseball, strikers, etc.) But not TOO much. The problem is, I can't really find a lot of unique traits for him. After all, he is just a spinoff character. Hey. Maybe his taunt or victory animation could be him... well.. you know.

D

Deleted member

This is what happens when you let people write in their suggestions. Let me know if you see any redundancies. I can only imagine how disjointed the ballot may have been. :laugh:

Waluigi (176)
King K. Rool (46)
Ridley (44)
Isaac (33)
King K Rool (30)
Spring Man (28)
Decidueye (25)
Paper Mario (24)
Rex (23)
Bandana Dee (20)
Impa (15)
Midna (12)
Geno (11)
Krystal (11)
Captain Toad (9)
Toad (9)
Lyn (8)
Springman (8)
King Boo (8)
Bandana Waddle Dee (7)
Ribbon Girl (7)
Dixie Kong (6)
Chibi-Robo (6)
Celica (6)
Skull Kid (6)
Cappy (6)
Hector (6)
Min Min (5)
Elma (5)
Funky Kong (5)
Rex and Pyra/Mythra (5)
Tingle (5)
Pyra (5)
Chibi Robo (5)
Dark Samus (5)
Fawful (5)
Ninten (5)
Waluigi (5)
Hades (5)
Birdo (4)
Spring man (4)
Urbosa (4)
Ephraim (4)
Chrom (4)
Tetra (4)
Mythra (4)
Isaac (Golden Sun) (4)
Zant (4)
Sylux (4)
Rex (3)
Takamaru (3)
Rex and Pyra (3)
waluigi (3)
Bandanna Dee (3)
Isaac from Golden Sun (3)
K Rool (3)
Mipha (3)
K. Rool (3)
Professor Layton (3)
Waddle Dee (3)
Vaati (3)
Viridi (3)
Shovel Knight (3)
Karate Joe (3)
Dillon (3)
Phoenix Wright (3)
Marx (3)
Goku (3)
Saki Amamiya (3)
Isabelle (3)
Slippy Toad (2)
Gengar (2)
Ganon (2)
Starfy (2)
Sidon (2)
Rex & Pyra (2)
None (2)
Reggie (2)
Sceptile (2)
Tom Nook (2)
King k rool (2)
Lycanroc (2)
ARMS (2)
Bandanna Waddle Dee (2)
Spring-Man (2)
Shy Guy (2)
Daruk (2)
Toon Ganondorf (2)
Anna (Fire Emblem) (2)
Ribbon girl (2)
King K.Rool (2)
dixie kong (2)
Mayor Pauline (2)
K.Rool (2)
king k rool (2)
Rex from XC2 (2)
bandana dee (2)
Lanky Kong (2)
Lip (2)
Issac (2)
Other (312)

Also don't let the occasional third-party throw you, this was the section for Nintendo characters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/84x9go/rsmashbros_smash_switch_character_survey/

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Something like this survey literally means nothing in the long run, but holy **** does Waluigi have a lotta votes.
In BOTH Nintendo and Meme sections.
Almost like he himself cheated to give himself a huge lead like the true trickster he is. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Something like this survey literally means nothing in the long run, but holy **** does Waluigi have a lotta votes.
Almost like he himself cheated to give himself a huge lead like the true trickster he is. :p
It's probably because there's been multiple highly voted submissions to the subreddit specifically about him.

Then again that's somewhat circular logic as the reason they're upvoted is because he's popular, but at very least he's got a lot pushing him to the forefront of the sub's mind.

Morbi

Scavenger
I said it before and I will say it again, Waluigi is ironically one of the only missing Nintendo all-stars. Like, sure, he is at the bottom of the barrel, but so is everyone else that is not relatively new.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
WAAAAA- er I mean, hi there ^^
Unfortunately I'm not very active but I'd like to join the supporters list.
Our man Waluigi needs to be playable this time around. His Mii Fighter isn't enough.
Also give us a taunt/victory animation with that rose thing we saw in the Aces portion of the latest Direct or give us death :chuckle:

PS: I know this is impossible, but how cool would it be to have a palette swap based on his colors from the bitf comics? Like in that PM mod... A man can dream I suppose.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi has a good chance of making it. A lot of people assume his online popularity is 100% memes, but Waluigi is actually pretty well-known in general. He's appeared in ALL the party and sports spin-offs since his debut, and is prominently featured as Wario's sidekick, so almost everyone knows who is. (The popularity of Mario Kart, and previously Mario Party, often outstrips that of mainline single-player Mario games.) His tall and lanky frame also make him stand out in the Marioverse. And he has tons of potential just using sports equipment, party dice, and karts. I think it's time. If Nintendo brings Waluigi into the WarioWare franchise already (which is something they should've done ages ago), I think he's a shoe-in.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Definitely count me in. Waluigi is very popular, has unique moveset potential, and would fill a much needed spot as a character representative of Mario spin-offs. Also, lots of Mario reps isn't a huge deal.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Waluigi, unlike Daisy, can’t just be a model swap
His lanky proportions would make for a very unique moveset
And imagine having Mario/Luigi vs Wario/Waluigi
The “Smash Bros”

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's my take on Waluigi's moveset. I tried to bring together all of the notable aspects of his character, namely his love of tennis, dancing, cheating, and himself.

WALUIGI SERVES UP A FIGHT
Normal Attacks:

Jab: A two strike move, where Waluigi takes his tennis racket and does two quick strikes. One from the left, one from the right. Each swing is punctuated with a "Waa."

Dash Attack: Waluigi lunges forward and dives at the opponent with arms outstretched, grabbing for their ankles. This move may cause the foe to trip, as Waluigi takes them to the ground with him, but it relies on good spacing so that Waluigi's arms line up with the foe's legs. A risky move, as it has notable end lag, but it's offset if the foe trips, as they'd need to get up before striking back.

Side Tilt: Waluigi does a soccer-style kick upwards, and pressing side tilt again causes his foot to come back down in an axe kick motion. The first hit is punctuated with a Waa.

Up Tilt: Waluigi points skyward and swings his hip, performing the Disco Finger move. Hitting this move again will have Waluigi withdraw his finger, which has an additional hit box. Up tilts can be chained together for a combo move as Waluigi dances.

Down Tilt: Waluigi crouches down and crosses his arms in front of his chest, extends one of his legs outward and spins while sitting on his other foot. There's a name for this dance move but I don't know what it is, but you bet your bottom dollar Waluigi knows what it is.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Waluigi performs a split in mid air, launching foes that hit his feet completely horizontally, not unlike Jigglypuff's down smash (though obviously far less powerful...Waluigi can only cheat so much).

Forward Air: Waluigi uses his tennis racket and spikes the foe, sending them downward. There's a bit of a startup here as Waluigi aligns his shot, but otherwise it's a fairly standard forward air dunk.

Back Air: Waluigi swings his body around in a three strike maneuver. First he hits with a backhanded racket swing, then his right leg, and finally his left leg.

Up Air: Waluigi pulls a potted Piranha Plant out of hammer space and holds it upward. It chomps three times before Waluigi puts it away, with the third chomp inflicting higher knockback. A three strike move.

Down Air: Cheating physics once again, Waluigi stays right where he is in the air and stomps the "ground" twice, Waa-ing angrily and somehow kicking up a dust cloud. Can be used to stall Waluigi's fall.

Smash Attacks:

Side Smash: Waluigi takes a running start before smashing his racket into the foe, sending them flying. This is Waluigi's best kill move, showcasing his tennis prowess. The longer the move is charged, the further Waluigi runs before striking.

Up Smash: Waluigi pulls out what looks to be a baseball. He then tosses it skyward, not unlike Snake's up smash, where it's revealed the baseball is simply a crudely-painted bomb that Waluigi snuck into the battlefield. It explodes on impact. The charging animation involves Waluigi quietly laughing to himself as he tosses the ball lightly up in the air and catching it.

Down Smash: Waluigi pulls out a small yellow and black remote control with a big red button on it. Upon releasing the move, Waluigi pushes the button, causing the ground on either side of him to blow up. That's right, Waluigi is very thorough in his cheating. He planted remote bombs inside the stage just for this purpose. The charging animation features Waluigi taunting the foe, muttering "I'm gonna press it!" while hovering his finger over the button.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws:

Grab and Pummel: A standard grab, with the pummel involving Waluigi bashing the foe overhead with his racket. Each pummel is punctuated with a Waa.

Forward Throw: Waluigi pulls a full sized cannon out of his pocket, stuffs the foe inside, and fires them away.

Back Throw: Waluigi twirls around and tosses the foe as one would a frisbee, waving at them as they go. "Bye bye, loser!"

Up Throw: Waluigi swims skyward, holding onto the foe, before lobbing them up.

Down Throw: Waluigi leaps onto the foe as both are covered in a cartoony fight cloud. Waluigi emerges victorious as the foe bounces off the ground.

Special Attacks:

Neutral Special: Rally/Zone Shot - If the button is pressed, Waluigi tosses a tennis ball up and whacks it with his racket, sending it hurdling forward. A rally then starts. The opponent is able to knock the ball back at Waluigi, but it returns to him slightly slower than how he launched it. Combined with his near lagless neutral special, Waluigi can send the ball back at blazing speed, and it gains a minor homing effect. This makes it easier for Waluigi to reflect it and harder for the foe to dodge it. Waluigi can hit the ball back at the foe twice (not including the initial serve), but on the third attempt, Waluigi's racket shatters as he stares at it in disbelief, leaving him susceptible for a counter as he pulls a new racket from hammerspace.

Side Special: Fake Item Box - Waluigi pulls out a fake item box from the Mario Kart series and lobs it overhead, letting it land on the stage. It stays there for about the length of one of Diddy Kong's banana peels before disappearing. If an opponent is hit by the box or runs into it while it's on the stage, they get stunned for a bit and take electrical damage, allowing Waluigi to come in for the kill. This move showcases Waluigi's trickery and deception.

Up Special: Air Swim - One of Waluigi's most iconic, and arguably strangest, abilities is his ability to cheat logic and physics themselves and swim through the air. It's an ability he's had since his debut in Mario Tennis, and it makes for the perfect recovery move in Smash. Waluigi propels himself in the direction the control stick is held, being able to perform upward to three strokes. In application, it's somewhat like Greninja's Hydro Pump or Pikachu's Quick Attack. It doesn't go as far, but it causes quite a bit of damage in comparison.

Down Special: Bomb Launcher - Waluigi pulls out a pitching machine and plants it on the stage, which he can then use as a turret of sorts. Pressing the button next to it has Waluigi yell "Fire!" and launch an explosive out of it. As well, while Waluigi is yelling "Fire!" the player can still control the bomb's trajectory mid-flight, referencing Waluigi's penchant for cheating, as well as things like the Liar Ball from the Mario Baseball series, where this sort of illusionist trickery isn't something Waluigi is above.

Final Smash: Whirluigi - Waluigi begins to dance as a spotlight shines on him. Eventually he begins to rapidly spin, putting him in the eye of a massive tornado. The player takes control of this tornado and can move it around the stage, picking up enemies, trapping them, and shooting them outward at the end of the move. Waluigi then stops spinning and strikes a pose.

Special Gimmick: Waluigi Time!
Waluigi's love of cheating is only beaten by Waluigi's love of himself. Boastful and quick to jeer his opponents, Waluigi is known for his flare for the dramatic. As such, Waluigi gets a small boost in power if he taunts after KO-ing an opponent, and a slightly larger boost if he does well enough to warrant a crowd cheer. A smaller gimmick that isn't as noticeable in the heat of battle, not unlike Bowser Jr.'s knockback resistance when hit from below, but it could help in a pinch and fits Waluigi's personality.

Side Taunt: Waluigi poses as he tosses a rose behind him. This actually does damage, as well, for every rose has its thorns.
Up Taunt: Waluigi tosses his head back and raises his arms as he laughs maniacally.
Down Taunt: Waluigi performs his infamous crotch chop.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
WA-LU-IGI, YEAH YEAH YEAH!
I'm all for supporting the odd-ball Waluigi himself, although my only gripe would be if he'd end up being a representative for Wario's franchise or Mario's. Because they did change his trophy logo to fit more of Wario's franchise back in the April Smash Bros direct, so anything is possible.
I just know in terms of movesets, Waluigi's got it all. So there shouldn't be an issue of making him a character in Super Smash Bros. Let's hope the best for our favourite tennis racket, self-indulgent purple maniac.

Morbi

Scavenger
WA-LU-IGI, YEAH YEAH YEAH!
I'm all for supporting the odd-ball Waluigi himself, although my only gripe would be if he'd end up being a representative for Wario's franchise or Mario's. Because they did change his trophy logo to fit more of Wario's franchise back in the April Smash Bros direct, so anything is possible.
I just know in terms of movesets, Waluigi's got it all. So there shouldn't be an issue of making him a character in Super Smash Bros. Let's hope the best for our favourite tennis racket, self-indulgent purple maniac.
I doubt it really matters; however, if they did put him with Wario, that would only help his chances as his competition becomes virtually nonexistent.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it really matters; however, if they did put him with Wario, that would only help his chances as his competition becomes virtually nonexistent.
Actually, his chances are pretty low as well for the Wario Ware franchise, as most people would like characters such as Mona, Ashley and Kat & Ana to be playable, so he's not scot free in terms of competition in that series either. But yeah, who knows at this point, I just hope it doesn't end his chances the same way it did for Super Smash Bros 4.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I wouldn't be opposed to Waluigi as a clone, but he'd probably have to be Ganondorfed. I think Waluigi as a Sheik clone would be hilarious and amazing, especially if instead of disappearing in a puff of smoke, he disappeared in a fart cloud

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I wouldn't be opposed to Waluigi as a clone, but he'd probably have to be Ganondorfed. I think Waluigi as a Sheik clone would be hilarious and amazing, especially if instead of disappearing in a puff of smoke, he disappeared in a fart cloud
Well that's certainly a very...unique opinion. I don't think I've ever heard that suggested before. Bravo, wonderfully wacky. Maybe instead of bouncing fish he just has his air swim.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If Waluigini gonna be a clone I want him to be a clone of Bowser Jr. His side b will be him sitting in an imaginary vehicle and taking off anyway.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hey friends, my Waluigi video is now live.

I think making the video made me more of a fan. I was never against him, but now his quirkiness really seems to have me on board. I mean... his control scheme would just be so strange.

D

Deleted member

Why is there a framed picture of a butt on the wall?

...not Wario, but all the way to the right
For some reason, the original comic isn't up anymore, but this vid has it.

It's a painting of a butt.
And it's Olimar's. :p

D

Deleted member

I love this character, he's Tall, Purple and a BIG important character to Me-

........wait wrong thread.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I feel that they should give him his moves maybe based on the sports games he was in (tennis, baseball, strikers, etc.) But not TOO much. The problem is, I can't really find a lot of unique traits for him. After all, he is just a spinoff character. Hey. Maybe his taunt or victory animation could be him... well.. you know.
I have to agree with this. I really want Waluigi to come into his own in Smash. It's time for him to "grow out" of the tennis racket, and binding him to gimmicky sports things is not a good idea imo. All Waluigi needs to do is fight normally for the most part like Luigi Mario and Wario, with his own twist. I don't want a tennis racket being in his hand all the time, nor him having to use it all the time. I would much rather punch, slap, kick, or bite someone with Waluigi than hit them with a tennis racket most of the time.

Keep the sporty, gimmicky stuff to a minimum, and give him something that goes with his personality. Like cheating.

Example: Waluigi can cancel a charging smack attack into another attack. Boom, he cheats using a simple mechanic.

The gimmicks should end with B-moves and a throw or two. No more than that. I don't want him kicking soccer balls and all that stuff all the time.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I made a moveset for him today:

Pretty much everthing that needs to be said is written in the image.
It'd be awesome if you wanted to include this in the moveset-list of this thread.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I made a moveset for him today:

Pretty much everthing that needs to be said is written in the image.
It'd be awesome if you wanted to include this in the moveset-list of this thread.
This is honestly really cool!
I hadn't thought of him literally just shouting WAAAH!! for an attack. but I love it. also hadn't heard of the Whisker Missile before
little dissapointed that things like WALL-Luigi and some of his other random super move powers from the sports games aren't in (besides the air swimming) but it's still silly and perfectly fits Waluigi. good job!
I also like working in costumes based on older/obscure characters like Foreman Spike and Stanley.
If he gets in and his moveset is anything like this, I'd be happy.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
After reading a lot of the rate their chances, there is something I really don't get.
How does being an assist trophy hurt waluigi chances? It reminds of everybody saying that Ike and Lucario where going to be cut, because some made up rule.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
It does not, really...

Little Mac did prove to us that being an Assist Trophy in the past is not a reason for lower chances.

Still, Sakurai joking about it in the past might or might not have hurting his chances. In fact it could boost his chance if he finally wants anyhow.

With Mario ACES coming out, and the awesome new outfit for Waluigi, I really hope this could be a good reason to finally let him inn.

Granite Countertop

Smash Rookie
I've wanted Waluigi since Brawl. I think this might finally be his time. Sakurai seems to be aware of all of the Waluigi requests. Add me to the list.

There are so many routes they could take with him. For instance:

1) A relatively original moveset that breaks the first wall a bit. I'm envisioning an attack in which he throws his now-empty Assist Trophy case.

2) A lot of people expect his moves to reference the Mario Sports titles. I'd have no qualms with this, but why stop there? Attacks based on the Mario Kart and Mario Party series are welcome as well.

3) He should definitely use boxing gloves for one of his standard or smash attacks, referencing his appearance in Game & Watch Gallery 4.

Last edited:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Waluigi has been my favorite Mario character since I got into the series almost seventeen years ago back when I was a child.

Seeing him in Smash would be one of the greatest moments ever for me. I support the WAAAAAAAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom