• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2015 Set To Shatter Records For Smash

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, "EVO HYPPEEEEEE" could be both the title AND the content of this post and we would all be satisfied.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, "EVO HYPPEEEEEE" could be both the title AND the content of this post and we would all be satisfied.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Very excited to see the terror that is custom:4dk:, :4drmario:, :4bowserjr:, :4lucario:, and :rosalina: and Melee will always be hype.

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
So happy to see love for Sm4sh, as well as recording breaking Melee numbers. EVO will be much better than Apex IMO, and Apex was good despite what happened with Sm4sh

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
i don't understand, do they have really op customs? or very weak customs?
Both characters have some really good custom moves.

I'm not sure what @Gidy was implying exactly, but the way I take it is that we're excited to see "lower tier" characters kick some butt. At least, that's how I feel.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
"stronger appreciation for methodical gameplay"? out of curiosity, what does that mean between SF and Smash?
What competitive game doesn't have a strong appreciation for methodical gameplay?
Most fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken have pre-set combos where as Smash doesn't. Smash is a series that relies on constant adaptation rather than simple knowledge - it's a 'sandbox' fighting game.

Sure, both games take both knowledge and adaptation, but Smash demands the latter to it's highest extent. In a game like, lets say Marvel, both players know what they are going to do from the get go. They know what combos they are 'allowed' to do. How they play is very routined. The winners are those who know what to use and when to use it.

In Smash, knowledge doesn't always equal power. As I said, adaptation applies heavily in Smash - We've seen this mostly though Mew2King's play that even the 'best option' has a counter and smart players can get around it. The 'best option' isn't always the right option in Smash. With Smash there are no set combos. You are forced to play improv - not methodical.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Rosalina REALLY didn't need any help... that character is dumb as hell already and a personal hell to play against or watch played.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Most fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken have pre-set combos where as Smash doesn't. Smash is a series that relies on constant adaptation rather than simple knowledge - it's a 'sandbox' fighting game.

Sure, both games take both knowledge and adaptation, but Smash demands the latter to it's highest extent. In a game like, lets say Marvel, both players know what they are going to do from the get go. They know what combos they are 'allowed' to do. How they play is very routined. The winners are those who know what to use and when to use it.

In Smash, knowledge doesn't always equal power. As I said, adaptation applies heavily in Smash - We've seen this mostly though Mew2King's play that even the 'best option' has a counter and smart players can get around it. The 'best option' isn't always the right option in Smash. With Smash there are no set combos. You are forced to play improv - not methodical.
You say that as if traditional fighters aren't multifaceted enough to provide the same variety of strategies you say Smash has. Static hit/block stun doesn't make a fighting game "routined," doesn't negate the neutral game, and doesn't cause players to be unable to fluently adapt to each other.

At the end of the day, Smash isn't as different from other fighters as it's made out to be, because at the end of the day fighting games come down to the neutral. That says something about Smash's ability to appeal to the traditional fighting game crowd, and it also supports why I don't agree that Smash should be put in a pedestal for being more about adaptation or whatever. Fighting games boil down to rapid decision making and prediction versus an opponent's, and all of the best fighting games have a framework that allows humans to do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom