• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Ruleset

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Holy crap, I just can't get over how high paced Melee is compared to the other games being played.
I keep seeing everyone in street fighter just spam the same thing. To me it just looks like one side is doing hadoukens and the other side is jumping over them to get close, every f#$%ing match...maybe my eyes are more attuned to the intricacies of smash, maybe melee seems more high paced due to the dynamic camera and animated backgrounds...gah even mortal kombat looks slow as f#$% and the two fighters keep spamming the same sh#$. Is there any other game that can match the variety and speed of smash? I mean other fighting games dont even let ya move backwards easily, your character is stuck facing the same direction. But I mean those games are alot less broken in aspects such as the ice climbers being able to kill ya with one chain throw from wobbles, seriously I cant believe they didn't ban wobbling.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
AFAIK, I think they were set like that.

UMvC3 top 8 was also supposed to be 2/3 sans Grand, but they changed it the day before. but yeah, KOF going overtime did mess things up.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
West coast fighting game majors typically run 2/3 for everything except GF. East coast majors usually run 3/5 for WF/LF/GF. Never known why that difference exists.
MvC3 typically runs 3/5 for everything including pool play. SF4 3/5 for the entire top 8 was a new thing.

So Smash wasn't slapped with a surprise switcheroo at the last minute or something; 2/3 WF/LF is just something that EVO normally does. (Yes it's lame.)

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, the weird thing was (or rather, the reason everyone expected 3/5), Mr.Wizard posted a page ago that WFs, LFs, and GFs were all gonna be 3/5.

Semi Finals don't mean anything.

The only matches that are 3/5 are Winner Finals, Loser Finals and Grand Finals.

And that's why we think it was because of EVO being behind schedule.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Well, the weird thing was (or rather, the reason everyone expected 3/5), Mr.Wizard posted a page ago that WFs, LFs, and GFs were all gonna be 3/5.
And that's why we think it was because of EVO being behind schedule.
no, it's because everything other than marvel/SF said so in the rules
while he may have mentioned it here, there was no indication that WF/LFs were supposed to be 3/5 elsewhere

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
If Mr. Wizard, the FOUNDER OF EVO, mentioned here that WFs and LFs would be 3/5..............then why aren't we to expect that they will indeed be 3/5? There was no indication anywhere that Smash finals were supposed to be 2/3 either. EVO was definitely great, but I'm not going to pretend that they didn't screw up here. <___________<

MrWizard

EVO Founder
It wasn't the fault of any game running behind, I had just misspoke on the forums. We had made the change a few years ago, but I had forgot about it when I posted that.

All the rules are listed at http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/ and it clearly says 2/3 games. I do apologize for misleading you guys.

Top Bottom