• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyday Irony

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm a big fan of irony and stereotypes. As an example of the latter, the other day I was waiting at the DMV with my friend so he could get his license renewed early for some reason or another. In the back of the building, there was an annoying little girl, no more than 9 years old, yet no less than 140 pounds, whining to her daddy, asking for McDonald's.

I couldn't help but laugh. Poor parenting, and stereotypical American diets at their finest.

Have you ever found yourselves in random encounters with hilariously ironic, or stereotypical situations? Got any good stories? Brighten up my day. Just make sure to be careful-- there's a fine line between funny and offensive.

Kotep

Smash Cadet
Using the strict definition of irony as the opposite of what is expected, rather than the now-common usage as 'a vaguely amusing coincidence', I had plenty of fun with irony while on vacation last summer.

So, as a primer, I'm blonde, light-skinned, average-looking teenager complete with silly haircut. I look just as white as can be, and I happen to be very good at Spanish. So, on vacation, I was visiting a museum and admiring the pretty pictures. A couple came up to me, seeing as I was likely the only one who spoke English in the room, judging by what I could overhear of conversations. They ask, "Can you tell us where the exhibition hall is?" and the whitest kid ever tells them, "Lo siento mucho, pero no se que estais diciendo." ('I'm sorry, I don't know what you're saying.') They have this strange sort of 'you shouldn't be speaking other languages' look on their face, and they walk away to get a guard to help them.

I thought it was funny. :3

Oh, and while I was typing that up, I thought of something for the stereotype side, too. At the Brawl release my friends dragged me to, while we were playing on the store's system before midnight, there was some kid watching next to us who could not stop yelling 'OH YOU JUST GOT POWNED'. I wanted to punch him so hard. D:

Firebert

Smash Ace
On the stereotype, at the Brawl midnight release, I was just talking to my dad next to me. In front of us and behind us were the most stereotypical nerds ever. They quoted all of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, for Pete's sake! It was pretty funny, though, and my dad and I laughed the whole way home about it.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
This happened to a friend working at Gamestop. She was apologizing to some guy because she took awhile finding him some kind of card for the xbox, because she doesn't have an xbox and wanted to make sure she got him the right thing. Upon hearing she didn't have an xbox, he responded with,"It's better than some system made by ****." =| Yes, Atari would agree with you.

I'm not actually sure that's ironic, though. I have a hard time with irony.

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Xdadepsak's Closet, along with Ender, Mkiller, and
"Jap" used to be censored on these boards.

He's some food for thought. A pawnbroker at obama's rally last week said, "10 years ago a pawn shop would not take a chinese made tool".
This is speculation but perhaps! this person was more concerned about the economy then racist sentiments from 1939. Commeting on a product's country of origin would have more to do with the yen vs. the dollar than "Yellow skinned chinks vs White skinned honkies"

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Well, no, I mean the situation. I find it slightly ironic because the Japanese(Nintendo)basically resurrected gaming after Atari's crash. He might not have his precious Xbox if it weren't for the Japanese. He's probably also played games made by Japanese developers without realizing it.

James Freeman

Smash Rookie
Speaking of other languages...
Ok, so I'm in the local gamestop, and this one guy just won't shut up. Even worse, he's speaking Spanish when he just spoke to his friends in perfect English! I've got a decent knowledge of German, so I walk over and say:
Kannst du während eine Momente oben schließen? Sprechen Sie Englisch!
(Translation: Can you shut up for a moment? Speak English!)
The look he gave me was PRICELESS.

calmlunatic

Smash Cadet
This whole thread reminds me of that song "Isn't it Ironc?"

The only ironic thing about that song is the fact that it isn't ironic at all.

"A traffic jam when you're already late." That's not ironic. It's just a pain in the hole.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
"Rain on your wedding day", that just sucks

But yeah I've seen and enjoyed my fair share of stereotypes; a Mexican asleep on a wall, a black guy tuckin' into a watermelon, emos being accused of being emo, denying it, and then avoiding the conversation by being all apathetic and going "whatever"

Irony? Just one. I used to play CivIV all the time and my anti-virus software had expired. About 3 times a day the "renew your anti-virus software reminder would pop up and forcibly minimise my game of CivIV, then when I clicked "go away" and opened up my game again the whole interface would be completely gone so that I would have no choice but to shut down Civ and start again without having saved, which, as anyone who plays the game will know, sucks bad

Anti-virus software people, virus', the things that ruin your ****, eugghh

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
I was at Subway last night ordering some food and infront of me in the line was a mother and 2 daughters. The mother and youngest daughter obese as all hell and the other daughter was skinny, dont ask me. Anyway, the mother and young daughter were ordering salad at subway and the skinny girl wanted to go to McDicks. Not sure if its irony, but a slightly amusing situation nonetheless.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I was sitting in my parked car at about 12am at night and I saw a car full of black guys park and get out. They each had something shiny in their hands and to tell the truth I was holy crap I'm going to get shot or something. 10 minutes later I drove around the corner and the guys were just silly stringing someone's car. I guess it was someone's birthday or something like that.

am I a horrible person? This whole event made me really rethink how subconscious stereotypes exist.

Tube

Smash Rookie
I was sitting in my parked car at about 12am at night and I saw a car full of black guys park and get out. They each had something shiny in their hands and to tell the truth I was holy crap I'm going to get shot or something. 10 minutes later I drove around the corner and the guys were just silly stringing someone's car. I guess it was someone's birthday or something like that.

am I a horrible person? This whole event made me really rethink how subconscious stereotypes exist.
you're a very horrible person! hahaha that made me laugh.

SSBM4Lyfe

Smash Rookie
I dont know if its ironic but I think it is...My Mom was talking about getting jury duty and the next day she got a summoning :laugh: she was sooo mad

PhoenixWiight

Smash Cadet
On the stereotype, at the Brawl midnight release, I was just talking to my dad next to me. In front of us and behind us were the most stereotypical nerds ever. They quoted all of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, for Pete's sake! It was pretty funny, though, and my dad and I laughed the whole way home about it.
o.o there were actually a lot of cool people at my midnight release. there was this one kid who followed me around the whole time calling me his "cousin" so he could get in before everybody else (i won second in the tourny so i got in earlier than everyone.) he was no more than 11 or 12.

D

Deleted member

Does irony in the cinema count?

I was at our local theater last night with some friends for Drillbit Taylor. At one point, Adam Baldwin was being interviewed to be a bodyguard.

Adam Baldwin said:
You kids want to hire a body guard to take down a bully? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Ironically, Baldwin's first film was My Bodyguard, in which he plays a mysterious teenager who gets hired by another kid to be a body guard. "How would you like to be my bodyguard? I'll pay you 50 cents a day."

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I find it a little bit Ironic that while in some messed up countries homosexuals are arrested under religous law while in China religous people are censored and/or arrested while there has never been a law against homosexuality.

Top Bottom