• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Even Sakurai can't buy the Amiibos he wants

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Sakurai's Twitter said:
That moment where you go to buy an Amiibo on your lunch break and Meta Knight, Lucario, and Rosalina are all sold out.

From here.
Original here.

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I really am starting to think this a ploy from Nintendo now... They really ought to be seeing the pattern that they ARE NOT MAKING ENOUGH TO MEET DEMAND. To be honest, I'm getting a little angry at them now.

I mean, since the new direct revealed wave 4, I've been checking constantly for when the Amiibos come out. And AS SOON as they come out, 3 of the 5 are sold out! And not just in Nintendo's shop, but everywhere! This really isn't acceptable Nintendo. Not at all!

Shog

Smash Ace
Lol, in Germany nobody for some reason buys them...all shelves are full, I can get whatever I want. *Sigh* still no Gamecube Adapter...and I looked everywhere since LAUNCH DATE in NOVEMBER

I'm sure he'll just end up calling Nintendo to sell him all that sweet Smash merchandise eventually. :p

Also, his amiibo shelf looks awesome!

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Lol, in Germany nobody for some reason buys them...all shelves are full, I can get whatever I want. *Sigh* still no Gamecube Adapter...and I looked everywhere since LAUNCH DATE in NOVEMBER
Buy them all and sell them to us dumb Americans. You'll make tons of money.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The cheapest option for getting Little Mac, for me, was to drive over 93 miles today and pay $35.

The struggle is real.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The cheapest option for getting Little Mac, for me, was to drive over 93 miles today and pay $35.

The struggle is real.
And I thought I had to jump through hoops to get my Mac. My pre-order was accidentally sold, so I had to go somewhere else, and managed to get them to hold it for me, because for some reason they thought it wasn't out yet. Lucky me.

I have never been happier that I don't care about Meta-Knight, Rosalina, Lucario or Shulk.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Wave 4 is already selling out....dang.funny considering Pre orders are not even out yet in America.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo should just open a whole new branch altogether to produce Amiibos
Or some other guy could just buy all of them and sell them.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I have a feeling once the smash bros amiibos are finished the demand for amiibos wont be as high and we'll see a perma supply of those new ones like the mario party ones.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Seems like Amiibo's never sell out here in Hong Kong - they still had Marth Amiibo's in mid-January. I guess no one wants 'em.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Seems like Amiibo's never sell out here in Hong Kong - they still had Marth Amiibo's in mid-January. I guess no one wants 'em.
In Canada we have like a small shelf dedicated to amiibos and theyre pretty bare. Might find a broken mario.

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
I really am starting to think this a ploy from Nintendo now... They really ought to be seeing the pattern that they ARE NOT MAKING ENOUGH TO MEET DEMAND. To be honest, I'm getting a little angry at them now.

I mean, since the new direct revealed wave 4, I've been checking constantly for when the Amiibos come out. And AS SOON as they come out, 3 of the 5 are sold out! And not just in Nintendo's shop, but everywhere! This really isn't acceptable Nintendo. Not at all!
It is worth mentioning that these figures are made months beforehand, in order to have enough time to properly mass produce and distribute across all the regions they will be available in. With that being said, (and in the same vein as the gamecube adapter) after the shortage of supply has been identified, Nintendo must then produce a new contract with an available manufacturer to restart mass production (assuming that there were no more being manufactured after the initial batches), repackage, and redistribute. This entire process on its own normally takes several months. Furthermore, now that these products are now already on market, Nintendo no longer has the luxury of building up inventory through multiple batches months beforehand. This would indeed explain why the gamecube adapter continues to appear at retailers, but only in extremely limited quantities each time. Give them time. I predict that some previously rare products should start reappearing in larger numbers somewhere around Q2 or Q3 (I'm thinking more about the gamecube adapter than amiibos though).

_gold_

Smash Master
I feel you guys' pain. My adaptor pre-order cancelled at 2am on release day, after the midnight launch had already sold out. Nowhere has had them since :(.
That's rough. I got really and found one in store, after the game was released. I was juggling around from Best Buy's to Walmart's. One Gamestop guy chuckled when I asked if he had any in stock, but I eventually found one. Nintendo really handled that poorly, and they need to re-stock.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I managed to pre-order my Rosalina amiibo (U.S.) surprisingly at Play-Asia.com before it sold out already. Hoping it doesn't get canceled in the process...and I'm having a hard time trying to get Shulk.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
THIS is CRAZY! The very man himself can't
I have a feeling once the smash bros amiibos are finished the demand for amiibos wont be as high and we'll see a perma supply of those new ones like the mario party ones.
I doubt it. I think that after the Smash Bros line are all released, they'll give up on producing them and instead focus on other series. For Smash Bros, they might release AR cards that have an NFC chip in them.

Kornaki

Smash Cadet
THIS is CRAZY! The very man himself can't

I doubt it. I think that after the Smash Bros line are all released, they'll give up on producing them and instead focus on other series. For Smash Bros, they might release AR cards that have an NFC chip in them.
I think he means that the smash bros series is going to be the only one that is so hard to find the amiibo for.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
laughs

....cries

Really though, they need to get this Amiibo thing under control. I don't think they expected it to end up getting as big as it did, but I know I'm going to preorder Ness the second that becomes available. Getting Pit was way harder than it probably needed to be.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
It is worth mentioning that these figures are made months beforehand, in order to have enough time to properly mass produce and distribute across all the regions they will be available in. With that being said, (and in the same vein as the gamecube adapter) after the shortage of supply has been identified, Nintendo must then produce a new contract with an available manufacturer to restart mass production (assuming that there were no more being manufactured after the initial batches), repackage, and redistribute. This entire process on its own normally takes several months. Furthermore, now that these products are now already on market, Nintendo no longer has the luxury of building up inventory through multiple batches months beforehand. This would indeed explain why the gamecube adapter continues to appear at retailers, but only in extremely limited quantities each time. Give them time. I predict that some previously rare products should start reappearing in larger numbers somewhere around Q2 or Q3 (I'm thinking more about the gamecube adapter than amiibos though).
I see! I hadn't actually realised this, but it certainly makes sense. I guess I shouldn't doubt Nintendo, just their self confidence in their own products! Now that they're selling like hotcakes, I really hope they bring more in of these sold out figures soon. What confuses me is the fact that the Smash sell out immediately while none of the Classic Mario series sell out! :p

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Wow, I thought he'd automatically receive all the amiibos since you know, he created the series.

I'm confident Rosalina will be restocked because of Mario Party 10, the same way Marth was due to STEAM.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Wait until they start the pokemon amiibos, then it'll get even worse.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Wait, why does Sakurai have to buy them...? Shouldn't they just be obtained through development stuff?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

I was willing to let wave 1 slide as they couldn't pinpoint exactly how popular amiibo would be until after initial release, but it's clearly evident now that, at least with NoA, they're purposely keeping the stock low to trigger the collector mentality and ensure that all of them get bought.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Strange. One shop near my house only keeps Mario, Link, Peach, and Pikachu stocked and, even then, it's sporadic. However, a larger store a tad bit further (4 min car ride) has every one in stock most of the time albeit they are currently missing Villager, Marth, and Fox :/

You'd think Sakurai could be given everyone has a reward for directing the games. Also, you'd think Sakurai would not have a lunch break as he should be dedicating getting as much DLC/patches out.

:3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait, why does Sakurai have to buy them...? Shouldn't they just be obtained through development stuff?
Maybe he wants to give himself money? (He probably doesn't get profits from amiibo though.)

Maybe he wants to give himself money? (He probably doesn't get profits from amiibo though.)
Or because Nintendo wasn't going to give the developers hundreds of dollars worth of free stuff. :p

In Canada we have like a small shelf dedicated to amiibos and theyre pretty bare. Might find a broken mario.
The shelves I've seen either have a ton of a certan amiibo or none.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Lucario? Wait a tick...

...this means I have something Sakurai doesn't. :p

Top Bottom