• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

European Championship 2008 (SOCCER AKA FOOTBALL)

Linkje

Smash Lord
Since there's no thread about it at all in the boards I thought Europe would be the best location.

In this thread the matches can be discussed (if you want.)

Who is going to win this championship.
will it be portugal ? will it be spain :O ?
or ofcourse the dutchies who have been playing marvelous.

M = Matches
W= Wins
T= Ties
L= Losses
P= Points
G= Goals
A= Against

Poule A
Club M w t l p g - a
Portugal 3 2 0 1 6 5 - 3
Turkey 3 2 0 1 6 5 - 5
Czech R 3 1 0 2 3 4 - 6
Swiss 3 1 0 2 3 1 - 3

Poule B M W t l p g - a
Croatia 2 2 0 0 6 3 - 1
Germany 2 1 0 1 3 3 - 2
Austria 2 0 1 1 1 1 - 2
Polland 2 0 1 1 1 1 - 3

Poule C ( POD) M W t l p g - a POD = Poule of Death
Netherlands 2 2 0 0 6 7 - 1
Romania 2 0 2 0 2 1 - 1
France 2 0 1 1 1 1 - 4
Italy 2 0 1 1 1 1 - 4

Poule D M W t l p g - a
Spain 2 2 0 0 6 6 - 2
Sweden 2 1 0 1 3 3 - 2
Russia 2 1 0 1 3 2 - 4
Greece 2 0 0 2 0 0 - 3

1/4 Finals

Portugal - 2nd Group B
Croatia - 2nd Group A

The Netherlands - 2nd Group B
Spain - 2nd Group C

1/2 Finals

-
-

3rd place Final
-

Final
-

TOPSCORER
Player Team G penalty
Villa Spanje 4 0
Podolski Duitsland 3 0
Ibrahimovic Zweden 2 0
Sneijder Nederland 2 0

Video's to keep you busy (Amazing goals O_o)

The Netherlands:
Van der Vaart : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2lY3yuGIY
Sneijder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNHpnaUegu8

Spain:
Fernando Torres: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wIjJjOuNk

Sweden:
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpLRtPkFi30&feature=related

Portugal:
Christiano Ronaldo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ulI1u_4sY

France:
Thiery Henri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsVrJq3L3NY

Italy
Luca Toni: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4yr4I5vLPs

Romania
Adrian Mutu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5WhMo48gfg&feature=related

Germany:
Michael Ballack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ84o-pcfQo

I did not make any of these video's.
All credit goes to the players and the editors of the videos.

Sparkz147

Smash Rookie
I think I've always wanted Spain to win because they've always done so badly in the past.
I mean England has one the World cup(1966) more recently than Spain won their last euro(1964). (OK just slightly before.)
However, you can't ignore how well the Deutsch are playing I think its there year.
I wish I could see a Deutsch Spanish final but like most good things its probably not going to happen.:(

Linkje

Smash Lord
I think I've always wanted Spain to win because they've always done so badly in the past.
I mean England has one the World cup(1966) more recently than Spain won their last euro(1964). (OK just slightly before.)
However, you can't ignore how well the Deutsch are playing I think its there year.
I wish I could see a Deutsch Spanish final but like most good things its probably not going to happen.:(
DUTCH :p spain and the netherlands can only meet eachother in the 1/2 final.
wich'll probably happen let's hope so ^^

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Dutchies to win

Some really entertaining matches thanks to them

Second favourites to win are Portugal

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I've always supported the Dutchies at national tournaments because they play such great passing football. Van Nistelrooy is on his last hooves now but I still think hes got the hold up play and positioning genius to bag a few more, and Sneijder is ridiculously good.

Hopefully the Dutchies win, a Holland Portugal final would be fantastic. I reckon Spain and Croatia to be the other two semi-finalists but it wouldnt be fair to write off the Germans.

Mr P

Smash Ace
There already is a thread about this in the Pool Room :p :
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=134117
The pool room is awful, lets leave the football to the people who know what they are talking about ;)

Before the tournie started my favourites to win were the Germans, but really i think it's between Spain,Netherlands,Germany,Portugal and a couple of other teams like Croatia with an outside chance, we'll see. Cant believe those pischy teams France and Italy are there instead of Scotland.

Fiend's_Knee

Smash Apprentice
Some result for Turkey coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 brilliant comeback, Holland and Portugal final, Dutchies to win it

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
The thread can stay here, as far as I'm concerned. This room has lots of social stuff going on already, so I don't see the harm. Just keep everything EC2008 related in this topic and keep it civilized, which isn't a problem so far. =]

I naturally support the Netherlands and I'm glad they did so well against Italy and France. Hopefully they can keep this up. I'd prefer the finals to be the Netherlands against Portugal (pretty likely) or maybe Germany. Lots of crazy stuff has happened already, so we'll see how it all turns out.

Linkje

Smash Lord
lousy preformance by portugal yesterday, 6 player didn't compete because they needed rest.
so without those players portugal seems useless.

brilliant preformance by both czech R players and Turkish ones. awesome match.
Too bad the 3rd best keeper in the world (they say) made 2 mistakes.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
lousy preformance by portugal yesterday, 6 player didn't compete because they needed rest.
so without those players portugal seems useless.
well they were guaranteed qualification into next round. I doubt they will ever play without these players in serious knock-out stages.

Giving their star players rest and letting subs play isn't a bad choice anyway

Fiend's_Knee

Smash Apprentice
Actually a Germany - Holland final would probably better considering the rivalry between them but then again a Portugal - Spain final would be brilliant too particluarly for good football being played with the likes of Villa, Xavi and Ronaldo playing. Its a shame Holland and Spain can't meet in the final though

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
The Netherlands and Portugal aren't exactly best friends after what happened last time. :x

Linkje

Smash Lord
I'd rather play against portugal so we can show them who's boss. Now that Figo is gone they won't act injuries anymore (I hope). Germany would be fine to, but I want portugal to be humiliated by the dutch.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
There isn't a bronze medal match in Euro.

Also, stupid Linkje, we are Europeans not Americans or Australians or whatever. It's football, not soccer.

Linkje

Smash Lord
i did not say soccer. Marc changed the Title cause people thought it was a brawl tourney.

Anyway spanish got lucky but deserved to win

Linkje

Smash Lord
not a great preformance by germany yesterday.
Though Croatia did excellent with 9 new players !!!!

Edit: tonight the most thrilling 3rd face will play. which team will participate in the quarter finals ?
I think the dutch team will win or make a tie.
the romanian folks are depended on France- Italy. If this is a tie. Romania will go to the quarter finals.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
lmfao, I hear you're resting 9 out of 11 players that started out against France. Good ****, this is gonna be hilarious =)

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I thought France were at least dissapointing tonight, not a fan of their astrology-central coach Domenec or Thierry Henrys attitude tbh.

Italy vs Spain is gonna be interesting. Holland are ridiculous.

Sweden to win tomorrow :chuckle:

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
Nah, go Russia, I want to see us play vs Hiddink :p

Interesting though that France was the only one who managed to score against us Dutchies, but they didn't manage to score vs Romania and Italy :p

Fiend's_Knee

Smash Apprentice
I've got to say Russia deserved to win there, they just had more quality than Sweden and their passing and build-up was brilliant at times, I like the look of Arshavin and Pavluchenko.

Hopefully that rumour about Celtic trying to sign Pavluchenko is true he would be better than V of H but after a performance like that he's probably out of our price range now.

UchihaJP

Smash Ace
Nah, go Russia, I want to see us play vs Hiddink :p

Interesting though that France was the only one who managed to score against us Dutchies, but they didn't manage to score vs Romania and Italy :p
France has a strong and annoying defenseplay, good build up attack, but they most certainly FAIL in attacking at the frontline.

It was just 1 lucky ball, that's all.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
France has a strong and annoying defenseplay, good build up attack, but they most certainly FAIL in attacking at the frontline.

It was just 1 lucky ball, that's all.
Yeah France's team is too old, they rely to much on the more expericed players. Zidane, Lilian Thuram, Makélélé to name a few. Zidane was the only reason France got to the world cup final. Thuram and Makélélé are rumored to be leaving national soccer and only play in clubs. I wonder how France will do next year?

Mr P

Smash Ace
Yeah France's team is too old, they rely to much on the more expericed players. Zidane, Lilian Thuram, Makélélé to name a few. Zidane was the only reason France got to the world cup final. Thuram and Makélélé are rumored to be leaving national soccer and only play in clubs. I wonder how France will do next year?
Zidane retired from international football quite a while ago, after the world cup. But yeah the French side is one which is about to go through a transitional period, Domenech will go if he has not already and i dont expect to see players like Thuram come back either, this tournament was basically the end an era for France going back back 10 years since France 98. They were very poor and got what they deserved.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Didn't see it last night, but I expected Sweden to win. Looking forward to Saturday. =]

Top Bottom