• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escaping teh N00b level - This Is For You RJ :)

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
this thread is made by me to help all aspiring Falcon main's escape the N00b level of play. But what is the nub level? does it have to deal with techs and reliable moves? NO! If you are familiar with my Falcon rants you'll remember that I say the best Falcon main's are going to be generally good players as well, meaning if they took up Shiek for instance they would also be good with her because their fundamental play-style is advanced and has evolved beyond the N00b level. So this thread is to help all Falcon main's become generally good players, this will not be just a rant that people respond to by saying "good read" or something, I want to help people along this transition, so post video's of your Falcon and let's all work together to spot patterns in your gameplay style, If you can't get a video footage of yourself you can send me your replay data by adding my FC as well as my brawl code.

Rock-Paper-Sizzors

Brawl essentially comes down three basic actions: Mobility, Offensive actions, and Defensive actions. Once you understand these options you have escaped N00b level, now I know that you're probably thinking "well I know that you can attack, defend, and move, so does that mean I'm able to take out meta-knight?" the answer is no. There is MUCH more to these simple options, and I will give an example that relates to the heading; If I play somebody in R-P-S I have three choices, each choice is equal in strength making the game completely balanced, the only thing that makes the difference in the game is the player and how well he/she can read the other player. If I choose Paper and you choose Rock, I win however, you must ask yourself if the match I won has any bearing on what I'm going to choose for the next round? does the first round make me confident that paper is the best enough to make me choose it a second time? or am I thinking I'm lucky and am going to switch to sizzors? or could I go Rock and use the very option that I beat you with? These same questions apply to Brawl, and many people overlook these questions when they shouldn't be. In Brawl these question's should be asked on EVERY movement you do, this makes you a better mind-reader and less predictable. Let's give another example that follows the R-P-S example but in Brawl this time; I get hit in the air and am falling within attack range, you follow with an Uair but I airdodge. Again later this same match I am hit in the air, you follow with Uair again and I AD again. At this point you should relize that I am probably not paying attention to my options, and am just assuming that your going to try and follow up with an attack. THIS is when your options come into critical play; in the same senario instead of attacking predict my AD and PUNISH it with something more devastating like a knee. This at seems dumb at first but when you start examining you're gameplay you'll understand that there is SOOO much more room for improvement.

Rock (Offensive Options)
Later..........

Paper (Mobility options)
Later...........

Sizzors (Defensive Options)
Later...........

Well tell me what you guys think, this is going to be updated pretty slowly (I got exams coming soon) so this won't update greatly every day. and Post vids so we can examine and discuss what better options are in different situations

Example:
Q:"when I have a stock lead but am at high percentages all I do is hug the ledge and wait for the inevitable, how do I overcome this? are there any better options?"

A:Yes, there are many more options other than sticking to the ledge, you probably are tempted too because your opponent has invicibility frames, a better tactic to simply run away. Usually your opponent wants a quickie so they'll have a "tunnel vision" of using offensive options all the time, it's your job to pick defensive/evasive options and punish his stupidity.

Roager

Smash Ace
Once this is done, I'd suggest putting this stuff in that other thread "how not to be noob with falcon" or whatever it was called.

Roderick

Smash Apprentice
This is interesting. I never actually think about it in play, but it just happens.
I have a vid where I play against my brother, for fun, and I hug the ledge and when he is at the ledge he charges a Fsmash, I wait till its over, and then ledge hop knee him for like 4 times. But then he stopped charging them so i ledge hop and he suddenly smashes me.:p

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Offense > Mobility > Defence > Offense. Aahhh! It makes a lot of sense, very good. I remember Melee's rock paper scizzors effect being something like Attack > Grab > Sheild > Attack....

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Offense > Mobility > Defence > Offense. Aahhh! It makes a lot of sense, very good. I remember Melee's rock paper scizzors effect being something like Attack > Grab > Sheild > Attack....
no, the difference from melee is that in melee once you get your combo starter the game of R-P-S is over and it's up to how well you can SFFLL, all you can do is DI when being combo'd, in brawl there are no combo's besides CG's. So i'm hoping that people think more critically about the actions they do to either escape strings or to create their own strings

this guide seems obvious and stupid butit isn't really, once you think about this then your realize how much more you're opponent is vunerable

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
no, the difference from melee is that in melee once you get your combo starter the game of R-P-S is over and it's up to how well you can SFFLL, all you can do is DI when being combo'd, in brawl there are no combo's besides CG's. So i'm hoping that people think more critically about the actions they do to either escape strings or to create their own strings

this guide seems obvious and stupid butit isn't really, once you think about this then your realize how much more you're opponent is vunerable
You're not giving melee credit. DI is partially prediction. Don't think of combos as strings of moves, think of guaranteed combos as a singular move. The only difference between melee and brawl in the pure metagame is the physics. Otherwise, everyone is perfect tech skill and knows every possible option available to their character.

Anyways, I'm getting derailed. I don't see your triad *attack options, defense, mobility* being a rock paper scissors relationship because, in some cases mobility is impossible, and in other mobility is stronger than both offense or defense. Offense sometimes is crushed by defense, or totally trounces it.

I'm sure it can be broken down even further and further.

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
no, the difference from melee is that in melee once you get your combo starter the game of R-P-S is over and it's up to how well you can SFFLL, all you can do is DI when being combo'd, in brawl there are no combo's besides CG's. So i'm hoping that people think more critically about the actions they do to either escape strings or to create their own strings.
hmmm... i think you're oversimplifying melee a bit. yes there are guaranteed combos, like cf's uthrow to fsmash on spacies, but there is a lot more to it. you have to be just as creative with your combos as you do in brawl to pull off some of those longer combos. i think if you want to simplify melee like that, a better summary would be knowing what moves hit what characters where and acting appropriately. yes there are memorized button presses for your guaranteed combos, but a lot of it is also improvised. it takes real in-depth knowledge and experience with your character to make those long combos look as effortless as the pros make it seem.

anyways. good job on trying to make sense of falcon's extremely difficult playstyle. i think that there's really no way around it other than experience. falcon caters more towards the players that like to play intelligently, instead of mindlessly spamming what works. a lot of thinking goes into a good falcon.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Yes it's a guessing game where some options beat and are beaten by whatever your opponent chooses to do, but it's not Offense/Mobility/Defense = Rock/Paper/Scissors.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I think my falcon could use some help, though I only have kinda old videos. but their vs. noodle, well some of them are. ...when shall you be taking videos?

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
I can understand how Scissors can beat paper, and I get how a rock can beat scissors, but there is no way that paper can beat rock. Is paper supposed to wrap around rock and make it completely useless? Why the hell can't paper to this to scissors? Screw scissors, why can't paper do this to people? Why aren't sheets of college ruled notebook paper constantly suffocating students as they take notes in class? I'll tell you why, because paper can't beat anybody. A rock would tear up that sh!it in two seconds. When I play Rock paper Scissors, I always choose rock. Then when somebody claims to have beaten me with paper I punch them in the face with my already clenched fist and say "Oh sorry, I thought you're paper would've protected, you *******"

Tbh, I don't agree with this much. Also, how is "Mobility" a seperate subject from offense and defense. Doesn't make much sense to me. Pretty much, offensive against campy characters and defensive against approachers. Maybe work mobility into both since its best not to stand still in either.

Also, don't think R-P-S was the best model. Sort of implies they each beat each other, as opposed to them having their individual uses.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Epic thread, but you already escaped n00b level when you stopped throwing out punches and knees all the time. Then you arrive at beginner level.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Yes it's a guessing game where some options beat and are beaten by whatever your opponent chooses to do, but it's not Offense/Mobility/Defense = Rock/Paper/Scissors.
like Haz-Doc said, this can be broken down further just like melee is. This guide is to help you string combo's since Falcon has no real combo's unlike the other tier queers

and yes........... I am ridiculously baked, but seriously this is for helping people players understand that they do have options, like the ledge example, people generally stick to the ledge because "it's safe" in their mind when in reality it makes them more predictable

Top Bottom