• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escaping Edge Guards

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Hey, I've been having trouble making it back on stage using Link vs some players once they learn where to hit Link as he's retracting the hookshot to get back on stage. Is there a way to mix it up to avoid this? Do I need to up-b back on stage more? Maybe throw some bombs?

I have ideas, but I don't get to play against good edge guarders too often. Any suggestions? :dizzy:

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, Link is an easy edgeguard target for some characters (like Sheik) even though his recovery his very good. I guess you could try to mix up your timing with the hookshot or just hookshot below the edge, projectiles are also useful to keep your opponents from jumping after you.
And always try to sweetspot the edge when you want to, unless it's being edgegrabbed...

And yea, maybe you should try to mix it up with Up-B so that you don't get predictable...

cjugs

Smash Ace
link is one of the hardest characters to edguard. Depends on the character though sometimes i like to throw rangs before i DJ and then i up back on once you throw stuff and links upb is so good its awesome. Against sheik her bair is her only option and she may not even know it, so i like to shoot my grapple then DI back so she will miss then i up her back on or if i'm lucky back off the stage :) i never have problems being edguarded EVVER

cjugs

Smash Ace
The only way people should edguard link is jujp try to keep him offstage and get him through whatever he uses to get back on like ledge hop jump or roll stuff like that but edguarding him can be dangerious and you take very very unnessicary %

Skler

Smash Master
The characters that can potentially pose problems to Link's recovery are ones who have long ranged attacks or super fast aerial movement. Jigglypuff has all of that.

Each character is different though, so let's look at the ones that give Link trouble starting from the hardest.

Jigglypuff- She can float out there for days and just spam her two sex kicks to prevent your great recovery. Fortunately her vertical aerial mobility is poor, so you can slip under her potential edgeguard by fast falling for a short time once she gets on an even plane with you and then using your upB or hookshot. It's simple, but really effective. They can still catch you if they time a move perfectly, but by then you should be stage side and just tech it and do something awesome.

Sheik- She's really simple to avoid once you get used to it. She will either throw needles (not that great) or jump out with a bair. She might even hang on the edge and bair you. Just recover extremely low against her, hookshot a low part of the stage and then upB. You'll eat a hit that you'll be able to tech and then you can either sweetspot upB or try and hit her with it. On stages where you can't recover low you're pretty screwed, just try to airdodge past her edgeguard and hookshot or drop low with a fastfall and upB. Chances are you'll lose a stock, don't get hit really far out against Sheik.

Falcon- He just jumps out and smacks you before you're even in hookshot range. Dropping low won't help because chances are you won't be close enough to drop low and survive. If you air dodge you just get hit by the second uair he throws out. It's hard. I personally try airdodging through and hope that his uair will hit me towards the stage or my hookshot will hit him. Failing that a hookshot feint can work and covering yourself in projectiles as you come in, which you should always do, is very effective at keeping him from jumping after you.

Marth- He jumps or falls off the edge and bairs you. It's what he does. Maybe he fairs instead, but it's the same silly sword swing since scholars say such shots seem successful. Once again projectile cover is your best friend and so is airdodging through him. Coming up low will generally make you eat a spike or on stage move, so just sweetspot your hookshot.

Peach- Her bair is retardedly good and she can hover at the point you like to recover from. Her vertical recovery is pretty bad. Pretend she's Sheik when she edgeguards you but be wary of the turnips, she can drop them and ruin your day. The upB will usually work to reach the edge as it has good priority, just sweetspot it so you don't eat pain.

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
I gotta admit, I have a much harder time against Falcons than against everybody else lol
All he has to do is a timed ledgegrab and as you come with a hookshot he can either Bair/knee you to oblivion as you come up or even Dair if you come in from below (though you can still try to meteor cancel or tech the hit)...
No one has ever tried to gimp me with Uairs so I can't really comment on that lol

Ugh, I hate that character so much as a Link player... like he has nothing better to do than throw out electrifying knees and flaming uppercuts and whatnot x)

Skler

Smash Master
If he's just hanging on the edge you can recover low with no difficulties. The moment you hookshot a low spot on the stage the worst thing that can happen is being forced to tech a hit.

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
If he's just hanging on the edge you can recover low with no difficulties. The moment you hookshot a low spot on the stage the worst thing that can happen is being forced to tech a hit.

Yeah I see what you mean. But then again, you'll have to hookshot really low if you wanna get past him without any trouble because they sometimes still get me with a Bair while Link's falling after the hookshot "shot" (if you don't reel right away; I hope you get what I mean lol) and that can be hard to escape sometimes.

I haven't really tried to recover low against him however, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip ^^

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Yeah I see what you mean. But then again, you'll have to hookshot really low if you wanna get past him without any trouble because they sometimes still get me with a Bair while Link's falling after the hookshot "shot" (if you don't reel right away; I hope you get what I mean lol) and that can be hard to escape sometimes.

I haven't really tried to recover low against him however, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip ^^
skler knows was good. its always best to mix things up. the thing i believe makes link one of the hardest characters to edge guard is his ability to change up his recovery. a mixture between throwing bombs, rangs n arrows n between using up-bs, hookshots and nairs, u simply need to try and figure out wat ur opponent wants to do n interrupt that. the only real threat is a character who will drop below u to attack, but thats where ur many projectiles comes in handy

Hail Link

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
I like Link's versatility somehow, it's the perfect character for me lol
I also believe that Link's adaptability is one of his strong points, allowing you to play many different styles etc.

He has a little piece of everything you need, but he isn't quite the best at each role; that's how I would describe him ^^

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Skler, what do you mean hookshot feint? Do you mean airdodge, then drop a little before hookshotting?

I also believe that Link's adaptability is one of his strong points, allowing you to play many different styles etc.

He has a little piece of everything you need, but he isn't quite the best at each role; that's how I would describe him ^^
^This. I've tried many different characters, and I used to main him and I gotta say, his style is very interesting (and fun); you pretty much improvise the whole time with him. Then again I'm a noob, so some of you better players might refute this. :p

I still like Fox better, but hey, Link's a cool guy.

cjugs

Smash Ace

I think link's versatile untill i play a fox or sheik. :*(

Skler

Smash Master
Lol I see. So I fast fall right after I hookshot? Sounds like win to me. :)
It shortens the hookshot's horizontal distance though, so be ready for that.

Edit: Link is versatile in the sense that he has different ways to approach each MU (and is never truly shut down by any one tactic sans circle camping, which shuts down every character).

4 Aces

Smash Ace
It shortens the hookshot's horizontal distance though, so be ready for that.

Edit: Link is versatile in the sense that he has different ways to approach each MU (and is never truly shut down by any one tactic sans circle camping, which shuts down every character).
KK. I never realized that.

Top Bottom