• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape Of Marth - A Marth Guide By aKunekO

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Marth has been a character slowly getting more and more results in Smash 4 especially with his recent streak of buffs. There is a lot to learn to use this character at his fullest potential but fortunately some has been put into a video for easy consumption! The aKunekO with Escape Of Fate has created a Marth guide to help teach players some of what Marth can do. Give it a watch and keep an eye out for the second part of the series promised to be on the way!

SmashCapps hopes this guide can help Marth players and inspire viewers to give the character a try. To keep up on all things Smash be sure to follow him on Twitter.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Part one of at least a two part series, I assume the more complex stuff will come. People gotta start at the beginning.
Nope. landing u-air combos, landing n-air combos, jab combos, throw follow ups. Thatspretty much all of it.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Those 2 hit combos. Mind blowing.
Not really combos, more like strings really which is what a lot of smash "combos" are to begin with even Melee. You want real combos? play Street Fighter with 1-frame links.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's silly to compare 'combos' here to SF or Melee, or whatever.

That's like saying SF4 is dumb because you can't combo like in UMvC3.

Interesting video, by the way. Looking forward to hitting the lab with Marth again.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
It's silly to compare 'combos' here to SF or Melee, or whatever.

That's like saying SF4 is dumb because you can't combo like in UMvC3.

Interesting video, by the way. Looking forward to hitting the lab with Marth again.
In the original sense of how combos were started (in SF2) Smash doesn't really have any combos. I think it's silly to compare the combo systems of two different games that don't play anything like each other also but This guy seems to love comparing Melee and SSB4 so much so I thought I'd give him an example of a game with true combos.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
So people like coming to some character guide for smash 4 just to **** on smash 4? I can't say that sounds like a very good use of time :v

Prolly could use said time to practice their character on some game they actually like or something, maybe read about those games too.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
In the original sense of how combos were started (in SF2) Smash doesn't really have any combos.
A combo is a chain of moves that is not escapable. These exist in smash 64... A LOT. Ever seen Isai? Yeah... (hence the combo counter in training mode.. DUHH)

They exist a bit less in melee, but still exist. 4-5 hit true combos are still a thing.

They don't exist hardly at all in brawl

In smash 4 the combos are boring and involve stuff like utilt x 3 or dthrow fair fair fair.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
A combo is a chain of moves that is not escapable. These exist in smash 64... A LOT. Ever seen Isai? Yeah... (hence the combo counter in training mode.. DUHH)

They exist a bit less in melee, but still exist. 4-5 hit true combos are still a thing.

They don't exist hardly at all in brawl

In smash 4 the combos are boring and involve stuff like utilt x 3 or dthrow fair fair fair.
And that isn't the majority of "combos" in the other Smash games?

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
It's just the usual guy complaining about a game that he doesn't like. What a shock.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
Marth has quite a lot of true combos, even if they are mostly two hits here and there. Falling up air leads into a free Tipper FSmash on the entire cast ranging from 20% - 50% respectively depending on the character / weight. He's also got foot stool combos from falling Up air as well, which leads into more guaranteed stuff letting him get kills as early as 70-80% starting all the way from 50%, sometimes even less depending on the character. People definitely shouldn't underrate Marth like that. He's gotten a whole lot better since this patch fixed his landing lag off of every aerial, letting him do combos that weren't possible period till now. Oh, I might as well also add that if you're on a ledge against Marth, one simple fair could net him 36% for free as well since you can't tech tumbles from a ledge. :)

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
I'd still agree Marth has more strings than he does combos. Nothing wrong with that though.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
And that isn't the majority of "combos" in the other Smash games?
You're an idiot. Not even going to bother linking videos to prove my point because you wouldn't watch them anyway.

Do it yourself.

1. youtube.com
2. search "isai smash 64"
3. Profit

He does a heck of a lot more than utilt.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Marth has quite a lot of true combos, even if they are mostly two hits here and there. Falling up air leads into a free Tipper FSmash on the entire cast ranging from 20% - 50% respectively depending on the character / weight. He's also got foot stool combos from falling Up air as well, which leads into more guaranteed stuff letting him get kills as early as 70-80% starting all the way from 50%, sometimes even less depending on the character. People definitely shouldn't underrate Marth like that. He's gotten a whole lot better since this patch fixed his landing lag off of every aerial, letting him do combos that weren't possible period till now. Oh, I might as well also add that if you're on a ledge against Marth, one simple fair could net him 36% for free as well since you can't tech tumbles from a ledge. :)
Not really. Sure falling up air leads into things, but you will rarely get it on people and other characters have more reliable characters.

Marth doesn't have a lot of combos or even strings (50/50s). They exist, but there aren't a lot.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
when are they gonna come out with a patch that makes marth good again?
You can sit and wait for a patch that makes Marth the character you've always dreamed of; or you can start to put some effort and become a competent player for once.
Yes, Smash 4 Marth is his weakest incarnation to date but you people have grown too complacent sitting around waiting for that update that will fix all of your problems and elevate your character to high tier status. There is certainly room for buffs but I've seen what a good, scary Marth has been capable of, so you guys really have no excuse to not move on with him.

Delta Chae

The Observer
I still want Marth to be able to hit a shield with a perfectly spaced fair and not get punched in the face for it.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
You're an idiot. Not even going to bother linking videos to prove my point because you wouldn't watch them anyway.

Do it yourself.

1. youtube.com
2. search "isai smash 64"
3. Profit

He does a heck of a lot more than utilt.
lol I know who isai is and I've seen him play my point still stands: smash combos are generally very simple and don't consist of very many hits your criticism of having two hit combos is irrelevant. Get a life dip****

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If you get more than a 2-3 hit combo in every smash game, except smash 64, it means you outplayed your opponent at some point and read something right.

That or you got a infinite or a psuedo 0-death, Marth v Fox on FD in Melee.

~

Dunno why people are still complaining about Marth not having double fair so he can wall the cast out, outside of top tier, and get super polar match-ups.

He got buffed, and Lucina, in speed and power in many areas where it really does help him out and give him more of an edge.

He can be a spacing god, just not to the point where he can literally win by standing still like he could sometimes in Melee and Brawl.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
As a Marth main, this made me happy. Thanks for the tips!

Although quick question about falling neutral airs, I can't seem to get the way he did it in the video on non standing still opponents. Do I just have to get in close while falling naturally instead of just jumping in front of my opponent trying to get Nair off?

Delta Chae

The Observer
If you get more than a 2-3 hit combo in every smash game, except smash 64, it means you outplayed your opponent at some point and read something right.

That or you got a infinite or a psuedo 0-death, Marth v Fox on FD in Melee.

~

Dunno why people are still complaining about Marth not having double fair so he can wall the cast out, outside of top tier, and get super polar match-ups.

He got buffed, and Lucina, in speed and power in many areas where it really does help him out and give him more of an edge.

He can be a spacing god, just not to the point where he can literally win by standing still like he could sometimes in Melee and Brawl.
Um, what? Marth could never win matches by standing still in Melee, though I don't know about Brawl. The problem is that some characters outrange him when range is supposed to be his thing, and why call Marth's chaingrabs on Fox on FD a pseudo 0-death? Pretty sure there can't be a fake 0-death, it's either a 0-death or it's not.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Um, what? Marth could never win matches by standing still in Melee, though I don't know about Brawl. The problem is that some characters outrange him when range is supposed to be his thing, and why call Marth's chaingrabs on Fox on FD a pseudo 0-death? Pretty sure there can't be a fake 0-death, it's either a 0-death or it's not.
Standstill against Lugi/Mario/Dr. Mario etc.

Just stand still and react to what they do, they can't do anything other than use pills/fireballs which you can deal with easily.

The Marth v Fox thing is always a 0-death if Marth never screws it up, and it is hard, but you know, **** happens.

Delta Chae

The Observer
Standstill against Lugi/Mario/Dr. Mario etc.

Just stand still and react to what they do, they can't do anything other than use pills/fireballs which you can deal with easily.

The Marth v Fox thing is always a 0-death if Marth never screws it up, and it is hard, but you know, **** happens.
Seems more like a Luigi/Mario/Doc specific problem.

Delta Chae

The Observer
It extends further than that.
I've seen sets of Luigi vs. Marth and Doc vs. Marth. In one of those sets was the Marth player standing still and it was only working because the Luigi player was extremely inexperienced and was doing nothing but approaching with wavedash>downsmash.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Sorry but this guide seems like it would only work on for glory airdodge-happy opponents that experience so much lag that down throw into fully-charged shield breaker is a true combo.

Like, 99% of this is shieldable/gives you time to spot dodge/airdodge/roll.
His combo starters don't include d throw/f throw/d-tilt since none of them combo past 0-15%. Those follow-ups aren't reliable either.

Marth can't fair like Shiek and up air into the ground is not only shieldable/lets you spot dodge/roll-friendly, but it's also difficult and too awkward to use consistently.

Getting the tipper is priority. Tipper is all Marth has.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, anyways, this helped me realize I was underusing my character's potential, especially after my butt whoopin at Summit last weekend. I'll work on my marth a bit more now.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I don't understand why people want true combos.

The truest combo in Melee is the wobble. People absolutely hate wobbling to the point of banning it and for good reason. It removes the interaction from the person being wobbled. It's very uninteresting to watch and very frustrating to experience because it is an endless true combo.

Read based combos or strings are far more compelling. They show the comboers prowress for following up even though their opponet could have escaped.

Watching this video I noticed all of these strings ended with Marth in a very favorable position where another read could easily extend the combo.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Those 2 hit combos. Mind blowing.
I never understood why people were so crazy about combos. To me it feels like they take a lot of the creativity out of the game when you can just easily say "well this is the most optimal thing to do everytime I get a grab".

Marth doesn't have Shiek's fair strings, but that makes him way more fun to play in my eyes. He's all about accurately spacing out your opponent and using his strong hitboxes and weak ones to your advantage.

He's not a top tier character, but he's better than a lot of people give him credit for.

Top Bottom