• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Wait I just took smash wii u out of my console should I leave it out so I can be safe or no.

Don't take my word for it, but I think it's safe to remove the disc from the system if you haven't received the error code. Again this is just me guessing so.

Kiino

Smash Rookie
This may not be an issue exclusively with Smash and it could be with the console at large. There are sources that prove that in the past few years has happened to Scribblenauts, Black Ops, Arkham Origins, 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors and even Wii U Chat. I can't link with this account right now but it's the top post of reddit smashbros, "Error 160-0103: Its not Smash."

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
Don't take my word for it, but I think it's safe to remove the disc from the system if you haven't received the error code. Again this is just me guessing so.
I haven't received an error code but I removed my delicate disc as soon as possible after I heard about this, Oh well at least I have smash 3DS

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Here's where I stand if this proves helpful:

32g WiiU, the New Super Mario Bros bundle. Bought in september
Havent removed Smash since purchase (21st)
Have been playing mostly for glory matches, occasionally online with friends & people on anther's ladder
Occasionally smash mode with friends
only enough single-player modes to unlock characters and stages
No SD card
running Wii version 5.3.0
Smash is running 1.0.1
No errors whatsoever

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Well maybe it's not just smash specific. Maybe you can get the error code in other games as well, but there seem to be something in smash online that trigger this system-error. Let's just wait and see a few days for Nintendo to respond to this matter.

Kiino

Smash Rookie
Well maybe it's not just smash specific. Maybe you can get the error code in other games as well, but there seem to be something in smash online that trigger this system-error. Let's just wait and see a few days for Nintendo to respond to this matter.
This is more likely a problem with defective consoles than a game bug. Out of seven million consoles it would make sense that some have faulty flash memory, and literally since the launch of the console we have been having these issues. You can google pretty much almost any game on the Wii U plus this error and find that someone has been affected.

Also, people on reddit have been reporting that they are getting this through offline play and not online. With this kind of track record since the launch of the console (Nintendo haven't responded once to any time this has happened) even in apps built into the console and the relatively low amount of reports in comparison to the copies sold worldwide of the game, I think it's a bit unfair to all be jumping to the conclusion that it is the game.

Last edited:

Zerard

Smash Rookie
... Yeaaaah I think it's time to take a break from smash for the time being.

Virgule

Smash Cadet
NNID
virgule222
Hello people, signed up just to give my two cents on this.

-I have a digital copy and DO have this issue too.
-I used to shut off the console from the gamepad while in game (trying to avoid obvious loading and transition times)
-First time it happened was on For Fun team smash.
-Don't play for Glory mode much, at least not compared to how much I've played for fun team smash.
-I can access the game and play multiple modes, however shortly after it might give me a black screen and send me to the error screen, always during a fight, never on a menu.
-Can access Wii U data management
-One of the easiest and fail proof ways for this glitch to trigger (for me) is when waiting to start a match online after everyone is ready just milliseconds before or after the bell rings. I'd say it happens 70% of the time.
-Was on 5.3.0U updated to 5.3.1U was able to play 5 matches and then it happened again
-I did quit once on a laggy match, may have shut off the console since I couldn't access the menu, quite a while before this happened though.
I was able to play some For Glory 1 on 1 matches earlier (having the issue already) without problem.

I live in Costa Rica
What is your console type ?(I mean like 32 Gb, 8Gb, bundle etc.)

D

Deleted member

Here are my details:
  • I got the 32 GB Wii U that was released in 2012. So, I have one of the first Wii Us that were sold. I also haven't encountered anything faulty with the system.
  • After every session of Smash Wii U, I go to the game's Menu, I press the HOME button, I go back to the Wii U menu, and I turn my Wii U off there.
  • I've played For Glory for hours, more specifically 1-on-1; I even played for hours yesterday. I also go in Spectator Mode.
  • The other mode that I play the most is Master Orders. I sometimes play in the Smash mode and Classic Mode.
  • I have not inserted an SD card.
  • I have v 1.0.1.
  • My Wii U is updated to the latest version.
  • The only error codes that I have encountered are those found in the online mode.
  • The last game other than Smash that I played was Mario Kart 8, but that was last week on Tuesday.
  • I have not checked Data Management or my other games yet. I am honestly afraid to.
I haven't encountered the error code, but I will probably wait for what Nintendo says on the matter. For now, I'll just avoid For Glory or don't play it as long as I usually do.
They should work on this ASAP, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
This is more likely a problem with defective consoles than a game bug. Out of seven million consoles it would make sense that some have faulty flash memory, and literally since the launch of the console we have been having these issues. You can google pretty much almost any game on the Wii U plus this error and find that someone has been affected.

Also, people on reddit have been reporting that they are getting this through offline play and not online. With this kind of track record since the launch of the console (Nintendo haven't responded once to any time this has happened) even in apps built into the console and the relatively low amount of reports in comparison to the copies sold worldwide of the game, I think it's a bit unfair to all be jumping to the conclusion that it is the game.

Ye maybe you're right mate, maybe we're just jumping scare for nothing. Hmm I don't know. I will still wait a couple of days before I boot my Wii U anyway just in case.

Zevenberge

Smash Rookie
...Is everyone here using the 32 GB? I keep reading that the 32GB Wii U is not having problems, so it might be something about the 8 GB release.
You know, we might be on to something here. Is there any chance that the internal memory is used as virtual RAM, which might be causing a lack of space for save files?

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
Aaaaand that's all I needed to hear. I'm not turning on my Wii U until this gets fixed, or at least until Nintendo pin points the cause of the problem.

And to clarify once more, this is not a Smash problem, but a Wii U problem.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Hello people, signed up just to give my two cents on this.

-I used to shut off the console from the gamepad while in game (trying to avoid obvious loading and transition times)
-First time it happened was on For Fun team smash.
-Don't play for Glory mode much, at least not compared to how much I've played for fun team smash.
-I can access the game and play multiple modes, however shortly after it might give me a black screen and send me to the error screen, always during a fight, never on a menu.
-Can access Wii U data management
-One of the easiest and fail proof ways for this glitch to trigger (for me) is when waiting to start a match online after everyone is ready just milliseconds before or after the bell rings. I'd say it happens 70% of the time.
-Was on 5.3.0U updated to 5.3.1U was able to play 5 matches and then it happened again
-I did quit once on a laggy match, may have shut off the console since I couldn't access the menu, quite a while before this happened though.
I was able to play some For Glory 1 on 1 matches earlier (having the issue already) without problem.

I live in Costa Rica
Did you have an SD card inserted into your console?

For some reason, having an SD card inserted in the console seems to be a common trend between people who have experienced this thing. What we really need are reports of people getting the glitch without an SD card inserted in their console.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yes I have the SSB4 DIsk, not the digital version
It seems most of the reports are coming from the people with disks
Aaaaand that's all I needed to hear. I'm not turning on my Wii U until this gets fixed, or at least until Nintendo pin points the cause of the problem.

And to clarify once more, this is not a Smash problem, but a Wii U problem.
Keep in mind he also turned the system off while in game also. Thats asking for trouble right there

Last edited:

Virgule

Smash Cadet
NNID
virgule222
So the few things that we can confirm to NOT be the cause (or not solely them):
  • SD card with or without screenshots and stages in it
  • The console's model (8 or 32 Gb)
  • online play (but maybe being connected can do something)
  • Smash, it happens on other games too though it may be less
  • The region. happens in Us or on pal versions apparently
  • Version of the game digital or physical (as said earlier in this thread a digital copy can have this error)

I thought maybe the amiibos but it doesn't seems logical at all so i keep that for me.

Patongi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Patongi
So far, I've got no issues.

Got a 4 month old 32gb Wii U.
Bought a physical copy of Smash on 28th, ejected the disc from console daily because my SO plays Mario Kart 8.
I always close the game by going to the Wii U menu first and then shutting down the console.
Played mainly offline, with like 10 games online (For Fun only, NOT A SINGLE FOR GLORY MATCH), done quite a lot betting / spectating tho.
Yesterday I put a SD card in, guess I'm going to remove it just to be safe.
Got the newest updates on both Wii U and Smash 4.

Still scared as hell that the error might hit me.

Last edited:

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Does this only happen on consoles with hard drives and SD cards? I have the 32 gb NSMBU bundle and a disc copy of Smash. I have no hard drives or SD cards in the system, and have not yet encountered the error but, I have not yet updated the game, just did the system update. The last time I played was yesterday and what I did was watch Netflix, play disc Smash and Super Mario World on Virtual Console.

LifeCarrier

Smash Rookie
Did you have an SD card inserted into your console?

For some reason, having an SD card inserted in the console seems to be a common trend between people who have experienced this thing. What we really need are reports of people getting the glitch without an SD card inserted in their console.
Nope, no external drive or sd card inserted.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
according to a post my friend just presented to me, apparently this error has existed for quite awhile, it's only getting big now because smash is so widely played...

I suppose I'll chalk it up to "nintendo's spotty console launch strikes again", first it was GCNs failing when Wind Waker launched, then it was most Wiis failing to read Brawl properly... now this. I'm pretty sure once enough people contact nintendo about it, they should get replacements without too much trouble

fslynx1

Smash Rookie
I used to have the issue too. I got it about saturday. (Luckly I was using a flash drive) I tried to copy/delete the data and I couldn't I got the error 160-4712 so the sunday I disconnected the pendrive and created a save file in the Wii U memory. Today when I came here I went to save data management and I was able to delete the data without any problem. I don't know why today I could do it but I found it very weird.

My Wii U is a 8GB, bought this year.
SSB in physical format.
Other games in the pendrive were not affected.
Wii U is 5.3.0 and SSB 1.0.1 and haven't connected to online modes at now.
I think I've played For Glory the last time when I got the error but not sure about it. The error came after a long time without playing online though.

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
Maybe, the smash wii u forces the momory of the wii u sistem too much :s? This could be posible i think, in the large amoung of data that the game manages ( images, video, miiverse conection, 8 players smash ). Sounds that the error could be posible that + large amoung of time playing the game that could posible consume the system memory :s

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Update: My WiiU
Has anyone without the error code tried to access the update data?
I turned on my WiiU, played for glory for about an hour, and then closed the software to return to the WiiU menu.
A message popped up saying there was an update available (not for smash but for the console), and it began installing. "****," I thought, "here comes the error." I was afraid of shutting down my console while the update was installing.

The update finished in like 5 minutes, restarted my WiiU, and booted up SSB again for closure I guess haha. I have the physical copy btw.

Well the game still plays fine, I did for glory for like another half hour before stopping to do some homework. This all happened within the last 2 hours.

EDIT: Not sure if this is what you meant by "access the update data", sorry if it isn't what you were looking for

Last edited:

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Has anyone without the error code tried to access the update data?
Nope, I haven't updated the Wii U or Smash game. Still on 5.3.0 on Wii U and Smash is 1.0.1. Too afraid to look for any updates, if even available in UK, incase it messes with my console.

Disconnected my Wii U from the internet for now.

Last edited:

JakeTheWurm

Smash Rookie
Nope, I haven't updated the Wii U or Smash game. Still on 5.3.0 on Wii U and Smash is 1.0.1. Too afraid to look for any updates, if even available in UK, incase it messes with my console.
Yeah I hear you I was just wondering if there are brave people out there who haven't gotten the error code but updated smash and have tried to delete the update data in an attempt to reduce the likely hood of getting the error code.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yeah I hear you I was just wondering if there are brave people out there who haven't gotten the error code but updated smash and have tried to delete the update data in an attempt to reduce the likely hood of getting the error code.
Mines updated but um... why would I delete the save file seeing how doing that is was causes it to **** up more?

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
People who HAVE gotten the error have tried to delete the update data in the Data Management menu, only to end up bricking their Wii Us.

I mean, I can easily see it in my Data Management. I simply don't want to touch it. By the way, why is it sitting in our memory? Is the update something we were supposed to install on our own, or did Smash update itself when we first booted it up (I can't remember)?

Last edited:

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
according to a post my friend just presented to me, apparently this error has existed for quite a while, it's only getting big now because smash is so widely played...

I suppose I'll chalk it up to "nintendo's spotty console launch strikes again", first it was GCNs failing when Wind Waker launched, then it was most Wiis failing to read Brawl properly... now this. I'm pretty sure once enough people contact nintendo about it, they should get replacements without too much trouble
We all know it has been around for a while

Listen I know it seems like that but how comes the guy from Germany has the exact same problem...on his USB pendrive where the Smash save is located.Come on people this is plain data corruption, and it happens an any storage either the internal SSD or a USB thumb.

Actually you could think this error come with so many games because, I don't know, the save file gets to be written on a bad chunk of memory. So it can happen with any game and all the others will play fine.But then, how comes that happens THE SAME WAY on a SUB drive? Coincidence? It sounds too strange to me.

People who HAVE gotten the error have tried to delete the update data in the Data Management menu, only to end up bricking their Wii Us.

I mean, I can easily see it in my Data Management. I simply don't want to touch it. By the way, why is it sitting in our memory? Is the update something we were supposed to install on our own, or did Smash update itself when we first booted it up (I can't remember)?
Actually consoles brick because they format all the system. Not because trying to delete the update file.

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

I mean, I can easily see it in my Data Management. I simply don't want to touch it. By the way, why is it sitting in our memory? Is the update something we were supposed to install on our own, or did it get updated by itself when we first booted up Smash (I can't remember)?
I suppose that it should have appeared after you make the update, and everytime you boot the game, it searches for files like this in order to "modify" the files located on the disk or digital version. In theory this file shouldn't alter the game's content. UNLESS if the patch changes HOW the file is read/write. (If you have modded Project M a little, you might have an idea how this might work).

In my opinion, I think this files got corrupted in any moment during gameplay (in any game it could happen, not only Smash). But there are people claiming the error appeared even in the first boot of the game, I might be wrong.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
So, I called Nintendo Customer Service. They told me that the new update 5.4.1 U. Has helped some people with this issue, unfortunately, this didn't solve my issue. So, they quoted me a repair cost and it came out to $104.98(including Tax) This is an option if you have the money. Personally, I'm going to wait a few more days before just to see how the next couple of days play out. But I am probably going to wind up paying. My Wii U is not under warranty anymore so costs will vary.
So, yeah hopefully that will take care of the issue. So, people experiencing this error. Stop panicking, call Nintendo, and get a quote

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
So, I called Nintendo Customer Service. They told me that the new update 5.4.1 U. Has helped some people with this issue, unfortunately, this didn't solve my issue. So, they quoted me a repair cost and it came out to $104.98(including Tax) This is an option if you have the money. Personally, I'm going to wait a few more days before just to see how the next couple of days play out. But I am probably going to wind up paying. My Wii U is not under warranty anymore so costs will vary.
So, yeah hopefully that will take care of the issue. So, people experiencing this error. Stop panicking, call Nintendo, and get a quote

Damn. Just hold on a few more days then call back and tell them there's too many people online with this issue. They MUST awknowledge it.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
They're comping me for the repair/shipping, but made it clear that there's also no guarantee that they can save any of my data on there.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
5.4.1 doesn't exist, I assume he meant 5.3.1. Sounds like he's talking out of his ass about it helping the current problem, but 5.3.1 does have its fixes.

Sorry to hear about your case. I bought my Wii U on September 20th, 2013 (Wind Waker HD Bundle), so my warranty is over as well should anything happen to my Wii U. Not knowing the cause is truly disconcerting.

Apparently, if previous games have caused this problem (namely WWHD, SM3DW, HW, NSMBU, etc), then some of our Wii Us (albeit very few, yes) might just be time bombs.

They're comping me for the repair/shipping, but made it clear that there's also no guarantee that they can save any of my data on there.
Most cases I've heard have wiped their systems clean of memory entirely. I've yet to hear a happy ending for people who've looked to preserve their over hundred-hour progress in games. I do hope the best for you.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Damn. Just hold on a few more days then call back and tell them there's too many people online with this issue. They MUST awknowledge it.
Completely agree, I don't see why you should be paying that sort of money to repair something that appears to be mostly nintendo's fault. Plus when you get it back you can't even be sure the error code won't just come back maybe hours, maybe days or months later. They need to know how many people this is effecting, then patch it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom