• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

Virgule

Smash Cadet
NNID
virgule222
For what it's worth, I've been playing For Glory for hours upon hours and i have an sd card in my Wii U and didn't get the message.
Well if you had screenshots saved and/or modified on this SD card then it might not be related. God this is scary be so clueless about this issue.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'll update my details: I have the digital version and an SD card (with snapshots stored on it). I played many hours of For Glory yesterday. I have not experienced the bug.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to hear this is happening to people. I'm going to stay offline and just clear challenges until there's a fix. Now I have to hold my breath every time I turn on Smash...:c

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I've heard of someone that got it while playing Master Orders, so some people get it regardless of whenever or not they access For Glory Mode.

If you're concerned about your game potentially corrupting due to this information, I'd suggest waiting it out at least a week. That's what I intend on doing, at least until a solution is found as I don't want to risk getting my console bricked.
Yeah, as of right now, depending on when I get the game, I'm going to wait to play it. I don't want to mess up my Wii U.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
I got this error code and have never played Smash online at all. I played it for a few hours on the Friday of release, then didn't get to touch my Wii U again until the Tuesday afterwards. I decided to play Hyrule Warriors for a bit and pulled up Adventure Mode. I signed in to the network and the very next selection that I made, the screen went black and gave me the error code. My Wii U is now sitting in a box waiting for me to send it in, but I'm how worried as to if I should be doing something before sending it off?

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
Is someone registerd on reddit? If so, please go in the thread at the top (it's about this issue) and tell these people we have kingalex here who got the error playing his saves from a USBp pendrive.

So it is NOT a console issue, it must be some kind of file bug which corrupts files, regardless of where they are stored. If this was a problem with the internal SSD, it would not happen the same exact way on an external memory.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
It might be helpful if folks posted the versions they have of stuff. Especially those who are experiencing the issue, in case there is a common thread. For me, so far I have NOT had the issue, but I am getting paranoid with all these reports. My details:

*The Wind Waker edition of the Wii U
*Hardcopy version of Smash Wii U
*No SD card in the system
*I have saved a few custom stages, characters, and Miis (in case this winds up being relevant)
*Frequent For Glory play (my most played mode, although I have played all offline modes at one time or another)
*I always back up to the title screen before shutting down. In light of the current paranoia, now I am both going back to the title screen, waiting a few seconds, and then using the Home button to return to Wii menu.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
I have contacted IGN about this story so hopefully they will write about this issue so more people get warned. All we can do now is to wait for Nintendo to release a patch that fix this horrible glitch. Best of luck to all the affected people!

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I guess the absolute worst part is we don't even know how to stay safe. I'm a little concerned if not playing it for a while will even work.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Great so nothing is safe :crying:
I don't wanna risk it so I guess I'm not gonna smash on Wii U until this gets addressed...

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Come to think of it, I did have a 2GB SD card inserted into my Wii U at the time of the error and might've taken a screenshot or two at the start screen in-game. I put it in when I was putting my other SD card into my normal wii after updating project M. Not sure if it would be a reason but I did get the error one way or another. I'll add any input that it takes to help get this solved.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Come to think of it, I did have a 2GB SD card inserted into my Wii U at the time of the error and might've taken a screenshot or two at the start screen in-game. I put it in when I was putting my other SD card into my normal wii after updating project M. Not sure if it would be a reason but I did get the error one way or another. I'll add any input that it takes to help get this solved.
Okay that SD-card information is interesting. I have played smash online for several days both For Glory and the normal smash one. I have not received any errors so I guess I've been lucky. To the hardware point I don't have a SD-card inserted in my Wii U. Running the 32 gb premium (the mario kart 8 bundle with a free digital game).

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I have an SD card inserted and have taken a bunch of screen shots, but I haven't gotten the error.

I haven't taken the game out of the console since I got it.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I only have an SD card to save my pictures and replays...should I remove it? I removed Smash Bros from my Wii U last night

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Nintendo needs to comment on this or something, they can't charge people a hundred dollars to fix a console when it's not their faults.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
It might be helpful if folks posted the versions they have of stuff. Especially those who are experiencing the issue, in case there is a common thread. For me, so far I have NOT had the issue, but I am getting paranoid with all these reports. My details:

*The Wind Waker edition of the Wii U
*Hardcopy version of Smash Wii U
*No SD card in the system
*I have saved a few custom stages, characters, and Miis (in case this winds up being relevant)
*Frequent For Glory play (my most played mode, although I have played all offline modes at one time or another)
*I always back up to the title screen before shutting down. In light of the current paranoia, now I am both going back to the title screen, waiting a few seconds, and then using the Home button to return to Wii menu.
You just reminded me to go check and see if I even had an SD card in my system and I did. My details:
~Black 32GB Wii U
~Hard copy of Smash Wii U
~SD card in the system (going through it now to see what is even on there. Should I be backing this up elsewhere?)
~Nothing saved in terms of stages/characters
~Never played online in Smash
~Only played once, backed up to the menu screen
~Error occurred after connecting to the internet on Hyrule Warriors

Last edited:

TheLuzzyBuzz

Smash Rookie
Uuumh i posted a thread in reddit talking about what we have here, let's what is the reaction.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Nintendo needs to comment on this or something, they can't charge people a hundred dollars to fix a console when it's not their faults.
What you guys can do now is to contact gaming-news sites like IGN and stuff so they write about this problem. The more people that talk about this the sooner Nintendo will have to do something about this problem.

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Thankfully, the news is spreading like wildfire. I remember looking this up 3 days ago and there was absolutely no information hardly whatsoever other than this thread. Nintendo will just HAVE to do something soon as this malfunction continues to ascend.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
~Black Premium 32GB Wii U (Mario Kart 8 Bundle with free digital game)
~No SD-card in the system
~Saved two profiles with custom controller remapping, also created a Mii fighter with custom moveset
~Played several games Online. Both For Glory and normal Smash.
- Played a lot of offline smash and special rules smash
~Always backed up to the title screen before shutdown
~Have played Mario Kart 8 Online a lot the past days

Edit; On a PAL version (Europe)

I have not received any errors, my Wii U runs completely fine.

Last edited:

Zevenberge

Smash Rookie
Nice survey. I'd like to ask if you can add your firmware (+region) and the Smash version too. It might be a problem with Smash, but as the day passed, it seems more and more of a firmware issue than a game issue. Still, it never hurts to narrow down the options even further. The sooner we find the real cause, the sooner we can all enjoy playing our games again.

What you guys can do now is to contact gaming-news sites like IGN and stuff so they write about this problem. The more people that talk about this the sooner Nintendo will have to do something about this problem.
I wouldn't do that just yet. You know how gamesites are - they take everything out of context without doing their own research. I mean, it is almost sure that Smash is not the cause.

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
Dx I was playing yesterday and i havent experience the bug, i have a wii u deluxe 32, a sd card 500 mb, i took a bumch of pictures and replays, and i have a bunch of digital games dowloaded in mi wii u, hope this get fixed soon, i thing im gonna play mi nintendo 3ds instead :/

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Well, to add more info in regards to my situation:

• 2 GB SD card in the system that has screenshots on it.
  • Swapped the game disc out multiple times, between this and Hyrule Warriors.
  • Played online with friends for quite a while but have never touched For Glory.
  • Played a lot of offline event matches and Crazy Orders.
  • Usually turn off the game at the menu, not the title screen.
  • System is a 32 GB one that I've had since launch day.
Have yet to encounter this issue.

Also in regards to 5.3.1 improving system stability I'm pretty sure most of the system updates that the Wii U has gotten has that as part of the patch notes.

Last edited:

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
Nice survey. I'd like to ask if you can add your firmware (+region) and the Smash version too. It might be a problem with Smash, but as the day passed, it seems more and more of a firmware issue than a game issue. Still, it never hurts to narrow down the options even further. The sooner we find the real cause, the sooner we can all enjoy playing our games again.

I wouldn't do that just yet. You know how gamesites are - they take everything out of context without doing their own research. I mean, it is almost sure that Smash is not the cause.
Actually, since all the problems seem to point to that broken, undeleteable smash update file I'd say it's pretty clear.Plus, all there people can play all their other games. Yes, this error came up even before smash but it is a general error code. Probably coming from an hardware defect before, this time looks linked to Smash corrupted files.That's what we can suppose, for now.

I have just heard word that a new system update has been released!

5.3.1U

It doesn't specify if it fixes anything related to or regarding Smash, but updating may be able to refresh the console somehow and states that it "increases system stability."

If anyone finds anything out of this please share.

www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/12/wii_u_system_update_531_resolves_mario_kart_8_tv_youtube_issue
I'm not getting my hopes up, Nintendo would have detailed a fix at this point, if it was in this 5.3.1Let's see if people get the error with this new firmware from now on.

Last edited:

Farorae

Smash Ace
Funny enough when i verified if i had the error, the console detected the lack of SD card in my Wii U and asked if i would start the game without one(exactly like the first day i got the game), so no screenshots. I never used an sd card with my wii u nor any external devices. I really didn't think it is related so i didn't say anything but if your assumption is correct then we may have find a clue/the problem.
It's asked me a few times about the SD card but I haven't had the error, luckily. I've played For Glory and such but I haven't touched the game after I read about the error yesterday.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
~ Got Smash U Disk Copy on launch date. (Bundle)
~ Wii U Black 32 deluxe (3D world bundle)
~ SD inserted (but not formatted to save screenshots).
~ Sync with Nintendo ID. (2 accounts)
~ Rarely played online (never For Glory in Wii U), conntect often to update Global Smash Power. (Last
~ Mostly play Smash mode (Offline)
~ Never quitted to the main menu title to shutdown wii U (might start doing it... woops), just exit a menu, wait for some seconds and then shut it down using the gamepad power button.
~ Most played title. (Last time played other title was this Saturday night, Nintendoland title, disk).
~ Last played yesterday night, with no problems...

For now, haven't received any errors. But by reading your posts... have you ever forfeited an online match?

Last edited:

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
You just reminded me to go check and see if I even had an SD card in my system and I did. My details:
~Black 32GB Wii U
~SD card in the system (going through it now to see what is even on there. Should I be backing this up elsewhere?)
~Nothing saved in terms of stages/characters
~Never played online in Smash
~Always back up to the title screen
~Error occurred after connecting to the internet on Hyrule Warriors
Do you reccomend we take the SD card out just incase, or it in?

Zevenberge

Smash Rookie
Following the true words of "do not ask of others what you don't want to do yourself", I've unboxed my Wii U for this.

* Mario Kart 8 Bundle
* Retail version of Smash Wii U
* Unupdated Smash (1.0?)
* No SD card in the system
* I have saved a few custom stages, one character and a Mii (in case this winds up being relevant)
* Never played online. Did not connect to the internet since Smash launch.
* Played a few hours of Smash before the official launch, played 2x6 hours last Saturday (local multiplayer)
* Played each mode (except stadium and trophy rush) at least once.
* Closing down whenever I am finished playing (though taking into account the autosave time).
* Version 5.3.0 E
* Until further notice, can play Smash and access data management just fine.

Last edited:

kingalex123241

Smash Rookie
Yeah it's very confusing. I think it has to do with both, Smash and the Wii U, because I can use my Wii U normally except of Smash Bros. So I can start the game and it doesn't crash. I just created a new stage (my first stage), I got the Milestone for creating one stage in stage builder mode and could safe. But when I went online in For Glory the game crashed again. I can still use my USB-Stick and change data, except for Smash Bros. When I try to copy it from the USb-Stick to my Wii U storage another error code appears and I have to shot down the console.
So in my case, it ONLY has to do with Smash, but others say, it also appears in other cases like Hyrule Warriors.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
Do you reccomend we take the SD card out just incase, or it in?
I don't think the SD card is the problem, personally, but it seems like nothing we've seen is a sure trigger. You can leave it out if you want, I just wouldn't bank on it keeping you totally safe.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I'm going to not play Smash or turn my Wii U on until I know this error thing is fixed

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone who got the error without having an SD card or other external memory at one point?

Also, while that particular error code number may have appeared before, it sounds like it is just a general "catch-all" number for when the error is not clear. That does not necessarily mean this Smash Bros. related error is not particular to Smash Bros.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Alright, just to do everything I possibly can to not allow this issue to effect me.

*Changed my internet connection settings to another connection that I can't connect to, so I can't accidently go online.
*Not downloaded new Version 5.3.1, Staying on 5.3.0 until I know it is safe to do so. Probably when 5.3.2 comes out.
*Leaving smash in console, not taking it out.
*Not playing Wii U or Smash until fix is available.

I just don't know what to do with my sd card? Leave in or take out?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
My details:
  • Black 32GB Wii U
  • Hard copy of Smash Wii U
  • SD card in the system (just a few screenshots accidently taken and a replay)
  • Gamecube adapter connected to the front USB ports
  • Haven't removed the disk since launch
  • No custom stages, two custom characters, one mii, one duck hunt alt (both for the challenges)
  • Played Smash online, specifically For Glory, every day since launch
  • Go to the title screen out of habit before shutting down (been doing it since Melee)
  • No errors yet

RandomNickname

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flori2000
I don't really see the point in people aying "I didn't experience it", since it doesn't really help the cause. After all, the people who experienced it are in a minority, and you can't just think you're safe because you did the same things as someone who didn't get the Error.

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
Wait I just took smash wii u out of my console should I leave it out so I can be safe or no.

LifeCarrier

Smash Rookie
Hello people, signed up just to give my two cents on this.

-I have a digital copy and DO have this issue too.
-I used to shut off the console from the gamepad while in game (trying to avoid obvious loading and transition times)
-First time it happened was on For Fun team smash.
-Don't play for Glory mode much, at least not compared to how much I've played for fun team smash.
-I can access the game and play multiple modes, however shortly after it might give me a black screen and send me to the error screen, always during a fight, never on a menu.
-Can access Wii U data management
-One of the easiest and fail proof ways for this glitch to trigger (for me) is when waiting to start a match online after everyone is ready just milliseconds before or after the bell rings. I'd say it happens 70% of the time.
-Was on 5.3.0U updated to 5.3.1U was able to play 5 matches and then it happened again
-I did quit once on a laggy match, may have shut off the console since I couldn't access the menu, quite a while before this happened though.
I was able to play some For Glory 1 on 1 matches earlier (having the issue already) without problem.

I live in Costa Rica

Last edited:
Top Bottom