Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
NNID
Dr.Rek
So, I got this error code yesterday and now I unable to play Smash Bros for the Wii U, in any mode.
The story goes:
I was playing For Glory mode yesterday morning then I was in a mode with a horrible amount of lag (I'm talking 2fps here) So, I did the unthinkable and quit the match. I tried to enter another match and it says "wait 10 minutes", so I got offline and started playing challenge mode. I turn the game off for about 6 hours.
I turn the game on, I go through all the menus fine. I start a local Multiplayer match make to screen selection and BAM! I'm hit with this error code it say there is a problem with the system memory.
So, I try some other games and they work fine. Then I try deleting my Smash Bros.'s data. The save data and Shared data are erased easily, but with I try deleting the Update Data I get a similar error about system memory.
This location in my Wii U memory has problem reading the update data. So I know that the next option is to either format my Wii U or send it in for repairs neither is an optimal solution.
Are there any fixes that you guys may know?

DO NOT FORMAT YOUR CONSOLE

Holy crap, I did that now I can't play anything. Everything that you wrote about has happened to me but I actually TRIED to format. Now, I'm stuck at the "erasing all saved data" screen and my wii u gamepad is stuck in that white screen that tells you how to connect your wii u to your tv in English, French, Spanish, and Italian.

As for the cure, I have none. Godspeed brother, hopefully you don't have to send your console back.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
NNID
Dr.Rek
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you backed up everything before you did that :(
I've seen this issue pop-up on a couple of groups that I'm in, so this is a bit of a problem for a few people. Hopefully there is a patch on the way.
My Wii U is nearly 2 years old now and I've never had this issue with another game. I'm guessing it has something to do with the update data for Smash Bros. I'm going to contact Nintendo tomorrow and see what advice they have to offer, thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to post any info they give me that may help. Until then looks like no smash 4 for a while :(

teDDieh

Smash Rookie
Hey mate,
i got the same Problem aswell. I already contacted Nintendo, and their only option was also to send it in.
I searched the net for any other options, and it appears that more and more players are experiencing this problem. So i hope that there will be an update/patch soon, to fix this, since Nintendo wont be able to handle all those repairs and its clearly a Data default and not a Hardware troubleshoot.
Do you got any News or Solutions?

Olise

Smash Rookie
I also got this error code and I made a video about it to demonstrate my problem.
But when I put my disc in I can't even get to see the main menu it gives me the error code.
Hope it's just a Nintendo problem because my wii u is fairly new.

Haven't experienced this personally, but it sounds like it's something on Nintendo's end, since it seems to be reasonably common. Guess the best thing to do is to either send it to them or wait and keep calling them each day to get a status report on the issue, and hope that there's a patch for it soon.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
3DS FC
1220-6693-9429
NNID
TimPrater
So, I got this error code yesterday and now I unable to play Smash Bros for the Wii U, in any mode.
The story goes:
I was playing For Glory mode yesterday morning then I was in a mode with a horrible amount of lag (I'm talking 2fps here) So, I did the unthinkable and quit the match. I tried to enter another match and it says "wait 10 minutes", so I got offline and started playing challenge mode. I turn the game off for about 6 hours.
I turn the game on, I go through all the menus fine. I start a local Multiplayer match make to screen selection and BAM! I'm hit with this error code it say there is a problem with the system memory.
So, I try some other games and they work fine. Then I try deleting my Smash Bros.'s data. The save data and Shared data are erased easily, but with I try deleting the Update Data I get a similar error about system memory.
This location in my Wii U memory has problem reading the update data. So I know that the next option is to either format my Wii U or send it in for repairs neither is an optimal solution.
Are there any fixes that you guys may know?
I'm not even able to start my Smash Bros anymore. It just comes up with the error, so I tried deleting the Smash Bros Data, and the Update Data didn't allow me to delete it. So my only hope is to wait and see if the next Update somehow fixes it..