• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Emerald] In-Game EV Training - Stat Calculation Errors?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I recently decided to pick up my old game of Pokemon Emerald for some reason, and figured, hey, why not try to EV train the pokemon I have? Over the course of the game I've amassed 12 rare candies and at least 11 of all the stat-decrease berries, which enables me to map out the IVs and EVs of the pokemon I have (thus making my life easier when I get to actually training them). There's just one problem, however: both Serebii's IV Calculator and the formula on Bulbapedia seem to fail when taking natures into account.

The first pokemon I'm looking at is my starter, Blaziken. I mapped out its IVs and double-checked by giving it Hidden Power and attacking my Kecleon in a double battle. It came out to Psychic, which checks out according to Psypoke's HP Calculator. They also check out with what Battle Frontier Breeder Guy told me, which was that my IVs total 0-90 and the highest is an 'outstanding' SpecDef. From there, I used the 'Calculate EPs' button in the IV Calculator to give me a ballpark estimate of what my EVs are, plugged the Bulbapedia formula into Excel to tell me what stats I'd get if those were my exact EVs (left side), and leveled up from 56 to 67 and wrote down what came out (right side). I formatted the chart to show me if the calculated stats are higher or lower than the actual stats, and changed the EVs for each by 1 until they matched exactly.

For instance, if I change the attack EV to 133, the attack at level 64 becomes 183 and becomes highlighted in green. If I change it to 131, the attack at levels 59 and 63 both go down. Thus, my attack EVs can only be 132, given that I know its IV and a whole bunch of levels. Cool, no? However, I started running into problems with the Speed EV. The calculator gave me a minimum EV of 108 - any lower and my speed would be 102, not 103, at level 56. Plugging 108 into my formula rose my speed stat at level 59, while plugging in 107 gave me the correct value. Thus, I started to be suspicious of the calculator. The four values not affected by Blaziken's nature (Relaxed, +Defense -Speed) all checked out, which led me to believe the problem lies with the multipliers. Psypoke's stat calculator is just as bad, on average getting 1 out of 2 stats right for each level.

This is where I figured the formula was correct and the way the calculators implemented it was wrong. There is one magic number that gives me the right numbers for 4 out of 6 stats, and SpecDef is down to one of two (both 44 and 45 give me the same, correct stats, so I can't tell which is right without knowing Defense, which gives me the same stats for 54 and 55). The problem is, there can't possibly be a magic number for Defense - there's already several values that are below what they should be, and one above what it should be, so I can't move the EVs in either direction without making some of those more incorrect.

What I'm looking for isn't necessarily the exact EVs (as I could wipe them to re-train), but why the formulas aren't checking out, so I know what to change for the rest of the Pokemon I train. Is there a better calculator I should be using? Is Bulbapedia wrong?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
EVs sometimes make these 1-number skips to stats, and I don't think all calculators factor these in? That could be an issue. If every other stat checks out, then the 510th EV limit shows what the EV has to be.

:phone:

MK26

Smash Master
The point isnt necessarily to figure out whats wrong with the EVs, but whats wrong with the formula(s). I probably couldve clarified it better but 55 Def and 44 SpDef gives me the exact same stats as 54 Def and 45 SpDef (at least, up to level 75 or something), and both result in an EV total of 510.

Bolded OP for emphasis.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
1. Remember that stats only change once every 4 EVs at level 100.. or every 6 I think at level 75.

2. Perfect EV and IV calculation is impossible before level 100, any number could be 1 off and could adjust itself as late as level 100 itself.

MK26

Smash Master
1. I understand that, but the formula given by bulbapedia seems to imply that this rule doesnt hold for stats affected by natures. When a stat is multiplied by 1.1, it says everything, including the effect of EVs, is multiplied by 1.1
Thus the stat change at level 100 for a +nature stat is 1.1*EV/4, not EV/4 like the unchanged stats and 0.9*EV/4 for -nature stats

2. Are you sure? With enough data and the same formulas the game uses to calculate stats it shouldn't be all that hard. And with the wrong formulas, even stats calculated at level 100 could be wrong.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
To the second one- Yep. It's impossible to know *for sure* until level 100. You have to estimate; or in games where it's possible, do an IV battle.

MK26

Smash Master
That's the thing, though...is there some random factor in stats that suddenly becomes non-random at level 100? I'd figure that if I level up with a rare candy 10 times (ie, evs stay the same across mutiple levels) and checked against those evs in a calculator, id be able to figure everything out after crunching enough data...

how about this. Is there anybody on here that plays on wifi, or do you all just go on shoddy/po/whatever? If somebody does wifi, and they have a pokemon they trained to level 100, and that pokemon's +natured stat has 31 ivs and 252 evs, can they tell me what that particular stat is? I want to see for myself that these calculators are actually correctly taking natures into account.

EDIT: for instance
Blissey at level 100
SpecDef's base is 155
With a +SpecDef nature, 31 IVs, and 252 EVs, the stat calculators say its at 405
Same thing but 0 IVs is 371
405-371 = 34, not 31
So much for 1 IV = 1 stat gain

Likewise, 31 IVs and no EVs is 336
405-336 = 69
252/4 = 63

What gives? These rules of thumb fly out the window when taking natures into account, why are people still accepting them like theyre the gospel truth?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
at level 100, you stats are maxed out, which is why using an IV battle (battling a friend with your little level 1s and setting the level of the battle to 100) is really useful

some of us play wifi, i think i'm one of the ones who doesn't cause i'm way too lazy to actually breed for a good team

Top Bottom