• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You at least think she may get a Smash reveal shortly before the patch, then?

Like they’d think “oh hey, Elma’s first in Smash, now Xenoblade 2? Neat”

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Honestly, as much as I love Elma, I can't see her being revealed as the next newcomer. She isn't a well-known character, and her appeal is limited to a somewhat small fanbase. If Elma is in, they'll reveal her more towards the end of the hype cycle similar to how Shulk was revealed in the previous games.

I hate being pessimistic, but I also don't like being too optimistic as it's a dangerous feeling to have especially when your most wanted character doesn't make it in. :(

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
We just got the 1.5.1 update two weeks ago. The next update isn't happening until next week Friday (8/17) at the earliest. The last Friday of the month (8/31 ) is the latest, IMO. Personally, I think the update will come out on 8/24 during Gamescom. It makes too much sense since they'll be showing off Torna ~ The Golden Country there.
I can already see that. During thw Gamescom
"So here we have a new rare Blade, Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, who you may also recognize becauss she was also announced recently for Smash Bros"

Honestly, as much as I love Elma, I can't see her being revealed as the next newcomer. She isn't a well-known character, and her appeal is limited to a somewhat small fanbase. If Elma is in, they'll reveal her more towards the end of the hype cycle similar to how Shulk was revealed in the previous games.

I hate being pessimistic, but I also don't like being too optimistic as it's a dangerous feeling to have especially when your most wanted character doesn't make it in. :(
While she isn't indeed as well known character, she would be the ideal first reveal character for the Direct, if they plan on revealing more than one.

So far every single Smash Direct had at least 2 characters revealed.

-4.8.2014 Smash Direct had Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Charizard and Greninja
-10.24.2014 50 Fact Extravaganza had Bowser Jr. and Mewtwo
-6.14.2015 New Content Approaching had Roy and Ryu
-12.15.2015 Final Presentation had Corrin and Bayonetta

And as you can see some of these reveal was always less hype than the other. Bowser Jr. was nothing to Mewtwo, so was Roy to Ryu, or Corrin to Bayonetta. Having Elma and her moveset explained early in the presentation, while ending strong with an hype inducing character like Simon Belmont or King K. Rool would be ideal. Just like how at E3 they first showed Daisy, a simple clone, and ended with Ridley.

Even if Elma is not revealed tomorrow, I'm sure that they will reveal a lesser know character early and then end with a strong hype inducing character.

Last edited:

Royaru

Smash Cadet
If I really can't wait for the announcement of a character, is, without no doubt, Elma. I really really love Xenoblade Chronicles X and the whole Xenoblade series. Elma was one of my favourites and she could have a real unique moveset using dual blades and guns. For that, i want to be in the supporter list!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
If I really can't wait for the announcement of a character, is, without no doubt, Elma. I really really love Xenoblade Chronicles X and the whole Xenoblade series. Elma was one of my favourites and she could have a real unique moveset using dual blades and guns. For that, i want to be in the supporter list!
Welcome to the team! :)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can already see that. During thw Gamescom
"So here we have a new rare Blade, Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, who you may also recognize becauss she was also announced recently for Smash Bros"

While she is indeed as well known character, she would be the ideal first reveal character for the Direct, if they plan on revealing more than one.

So far every single Smash Direct had at least 2 characters revealed.

-4.8.2014 Smash Direct had Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Charizard and Greninja
-10.24.2014 50 Fact Extravaganza had Bowser Jr. and Mewtwo
-6.14.2015 New Content Approaching had Roy and Ryu
-12.15.2015 Final Presentation had Corrin and Bayonetta

And as you can see some of these reveal was always less hype than the other. Bowser Jr. was nothing to Mewtwo, so was Roy to Ryu, or Corrin to Bayonetta. Having Elma and her moveset explained early in the presentation, while ending strong with an hype inducing character like Simon Belmont or King K. Rool would be ideal. Just like how at E3 they first showed Daisy, a simple clone, and ended with Ridley.

Even if Elma is not revealed tomorrow, I'm sure that they will reveal a lesser know character early and then end with a strong hype inducing character.
Didn’t the 50 facts direct have Duck Hunt’s trailer too? I don’t really remember but I feel that was the case, shortly before the Mewtwo DLC announcement

Sparklealyst

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone made an account to follow my two most wanted newcomers during this exciting and also dreading direct tomorrow. All I want to say is I think this might be happening and I can't stop getting excited thinking about it so we march on to tomorrow

But let's also hope something dreadful doesn't appear for our badass woman. I guess we have to count the clock down.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
So there's something I meant to bring up earlier, and funnily enough, I was just about to type up a post while I was watching EVO when the Direct was revealed, and that took precedence. Now, excuse me while I don my tinfoil hat.

I've been thinking a lot about that mech Sakurai bought a while ago, I'd forgotten about it until just recently. For some of our newer B.L.A.D.E.S. who may not be in the know, Sakurai purchased a toy mech from the anime series Galactic Drifter Vifam saying that he wanted the rifle as a reference for his next project. The interview where he first mentioned it was published on the Japanese site denfaminicogamer on December 26, 2015. We now know that his next project was Ultimate, and we also know late 2015 was when development on it truly began (I think you see where I'm going).

We still have yet to see anything resembling a rifle (I thought maybe Inkling would have a charger, but that's one of very few weapon types she doesn't have), and the pool of likely candidates who use one is fairly small. Some people have suggested it could be used for a Custom Robo or Advance Wars character, and while that's definitely possible, those franchises are as dead as me trying to explore Sylvalum for the first time.

Yeah, this is all a little conspiracy-theory ish, but silly as it is, thinking about it helps calm my mind a bit. The thought that Elma could have been one of the first characters Sakurai implemented gives me the warm fuzzies. How much longer until this Direct? 16.5 hours? Ugh!

The similarities between the flight module here and that of a Skell is rather... striking. Just saying.
toy mech.jpeg

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
So there's something I meant to bring up earlier, and funnily enough, I was just about to type up a post while I was watching EVO when the Direct was revealed, and that took precedence. Now, excuse me while I don my tinfoil hat.

I've been thinking a lot about that mech Sakurai bought a while ago, I'd forgotten about it until just recently. For some of our newer B.L.A.D.E.S. who may not be in the know, Sakurai purchased a toy mech from the anime series Galactic Drifter Vifam saying that he wanted the rifle as a reference for his next project. The interview where he first mentioned it was published on the Japanese site denfaminicogamer on December 26, 2015. We now know that his next project was Ultimate, and we also know late 2015 was when development on it truly began (I think you see where I'm going).

We still have yet to see anything resembling a rifle (I thought maybe Inkling would have a charger, but that's one of very few weapon types she doesn't have), and the pool of likely candidates who use one is fairly small. Some people have suggested it could be used for a Custom Robo or Advance Wars character, and while that's definitely possible, those franchises are as dead as me trying to explore Sylvalum for the first time.

Yeah, this is all a little conspiracy-theory ish, but silly as it is, thinking about it helps calm my mind a bit. The thought that Elma could have been one of the first characters Sakurai implemented gives me the warm fuzzies. How much longer until this Direct? 16.5 hours? Ugh!

The similarities between the flight module here and that of a Skell is rather... striking. Just saying.View attachment 156149
This isn't a very outlandish theory at all.
When you combine this with the project plan, XCX release, and Rex and Pyra not being finalized until late 2016,
It's a very believable argument. Not to mention Sakurai enjoys Xenoblade, so he's likely to have played X, so all the signs point to Elma

I'd honestly be surprised if she didn't make it in, given the evidence we have

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Hey all, wanted to see how everyone was feeling about Elma's chances after the potential Simon Belmont leak tonight. It doesn't mean that every part of Verge's claims will be true, but so far, it improves the odds of:

1) There only being six more newcomers (don't know if that includes Echoes, but it probably won't change anything for Elma's chances)
2) Isabelle and a Pokemon rep
3) Minecraft content, which could mean a Microsoft rep like Banjo or Master Chief

Potentially only two or three more characters with Elma, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Ashley, Rayman, a Namco rep, etc. all waiting in the wings. Don't know if they're setting aside most of the ballot fanservice for DLC, which would favor Elma's inclusion more, but I'm curious about everybody's opinions.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hey all, wanted to see how everyone was feeling about Elma's chances after the potential Simon Belmont leak tonight. It doesn't mean that every part of Verge's claims will be true, but so far, it improves the odds of:

1) There only being six more newcomers (don't know if that includes Echoes, but it probably won't change anything for Elma's chances)
2) Isabelle and a Pokemon rep
3) Minecraft content, which could mean a Microsoft rep like Banjo or Master Chief

Potentially only two or three more characters with Elma, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Ashley, Rayman, a Namco rep, etc. all waiting in the wings. Don't know if they're setting aside most of the ballot fanservice for DLC, which would favor Elma's inclusion more, but I'm curious about everybody's opinions.
Vergeben never said that those 6 newcomers would be the only ones, he only stated that he knew that "at least half a dozen more are in". There may be more, so I'm not worried.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Vergeben never said that those 6 newcomers would be the only ones, he only stated that he knew that "at least half a dozen more are in". There may be more, so I'm not worried.
Interesting! I didn't have the exact quote on hand, but it's true. I don't want to "expect" more than that number, but it's at least helpful to know that the possibility is still on the table. I think if a Gen 7 rep really does get in, it shows that the stiff competition doesn't definitively affect Elma's chances until we know an exact number (if we get one at all).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
SourceGaming's Nantenjax put Elma in his prediction for Ultimate's roster, which only had 8 characters .

Yeah, it doesn't really mean anything, but these hours are dreadful to wait, I'm just trying to pass time...

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
SourceGaming's Nantenjax put Elma in his prediction for Ultimate's roster, which only had 8 characters .

Yeah, it doesn't really mean anything, but these hours are dreadful to wait, I'm just trying to pass time...
I wasn't trying to suggest that she couldn't fit into a pool of eight newcomers. We just don't know where the Smash team's priorities lie, so if we potentially only had a few spots left that weren't already reserved, it might be a harder squeeze. Though if we end up still getting a Sun & Moon newcomer after all, I think that would be the biggest possible boon to Elma's chances since it means they still want to represent games that were recent at the time.

And yeah, I've got to agree on trying to pass time. Playing games is working out well, though I'm still incredibly anxious to see if there are any additonal newcomers shown aside from
Simon Belmont
and disconfirmations that help narrow down the newcomer possibilities.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I wasn't trying to suggest that she couldn't fit into a pool of eight newcomers. We just don't know where the Smash team's priorities lie, so if we potentially only had a few spots left that weren't already reserved, it might be a harder squeeze. Though if we end up still getting a Sun & Moon newcomer after all, I think that would be the biggest possible boon to Elma's chances since it means they still want to represent games that were recent at the time.

And yeah, I've got to agree on trying to pass time. Playing games is working out well, though I'm still incredibly anxious to see if there are any additonal newcomers shown aside from
Simon Belmont
and disconfirmations that help narrow down the newcomer possibilities.
Oh it wasn't meant to be a critique towards you, I just wanted to say that since it is the latest thing that happened about Elma in the last couple of days.

About the newcomers I'm still confident about another character. As I've pointed out earlier every single Smash presentation had at least 2 reveals, so we might see at the very least another Echo.

Last edited:

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
Seeing people salty in Source Gaming's video makes me laugh a lot because they want Rex/Pyra instead of Elma lol

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Edit: This was supposed to be in response to ThoughtfulWanderer, I forgot to add the quote, and now I can't edit it in.

Like Nonno already pointed out, Vergeben claims there will at least six more newcomers after Ridley and Inkling. It's not really clear if he's including echoes in that total, and there's a chance Isabelle may be one. Plus, we all know Daddy Sakurai is an overachiever, I'd be willing to guess he tried squeezing as many characters in as possible.

This could also, potentially, be good news for Elma. I've had people throw her likely low ballot placement in my face (never mind that her game wasn't out outside of Japan when the ballot happened), but if Isabelle is in, then maybe not every single newcomer will be determined by the ballot. Isabelle is popular, perhaps the most popular character in Animal Crossing, but the idea she placed highly on the ballot is a bit hard to believe.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Edit: This was supposed to be in response to ThoughtfulWanderer, I forgot to add the quote, and now I can't edit it in.

Like Nonno already pointed out, Vergeben claims there will at least six more newcomers after Ridley and Inkling. It's not really clear if he's including echoes in that total, and there's a chance Isabelle may be one. Plus, we all know Daddy Sakurai is an overachiever, I'd be willing to guess he tried squeezing as many characters in as possible.

This could also, potentially, be good news for Elma. I've had people throw her likely low ballot placement in my face (never mind that her game wasn't out outside of Japan when the ballot happened), but if Isabelle is in, then maybe not every single newcomer will be determined by the ballot. Isabelle is popular, perhaps the most popular character in Animal Crossing, but the idea she placed highly on the ballot is a bit hard to believe.
Agreed on Isabelle. Animal Crossing fans aren't usually the type to care about Smash, and I'm sure some that were hadn't voted for her because of the AT role she had just been given. But it doesn't matter because Nintendo pushes her like crazy. Getting into Mario Kart should've been the biggest indicator that she was a likely candidate for Smash.

Besides, it would be wishful thinking to believe that every single newcomer in this game was going to be ballot-related, even after it was clear it was being advertised as fanservice-heavy. That's not how Sakurai and Nintendo operate.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

The similarities between the flight module here and that of a Skell is rather... striking. Just saying.View attachment 156149
That's a really interesting theory. Are there any counterarguments?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Little under half an hour left

Oh God my heart is legit racing rn

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Little under half an hour left

Oh God my heart is legit racing rn
Tell me about it. I support so many different characters and I don't even know which are going to be shown and which are going to live to see another day.

...One of the thoughts racing through my head is Elma as an AT and it's an ugly picture.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
If Elma isn't a mewcomer, I'd rather see her confirmed as an assist trophy or whatever TODAY.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Calling it now; no new Xeno content whatsoever. I think we'll all have to wait a while longer.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Calling it now; no new Xeno content whatsoever. I think we'll all have to wait a while longer.
Ironically, no new Xeno content for today's Direct could be good news. It could mean they're saving them for a Xeno related character. :)

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
That's a really interesting theory. Are there any counterarguments?
Well, this is a little embarrasing, but it looks like that article was actually from 2016, not 2015 like I thought. Still, we haven't seen anything resembling it, and I'm gonna hold onto the hope that it was for Elma's Skell.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, no Elma today, but at least she’s not an AT. I think they may be saving her for a later Xenoblade-focused presentation

ideally when the Xenoblade 2 patch wherein she becomes a playable Blade hits

So to quote Uncontrollable:

“Let’s get started again
Do not tire yourself
We’ll get back the life for ourselves today
Let’s get started again
Do not scare yourself
We can take this ride for ourselves”

also I’ll have more time to 100% Mira! Yay!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Well, I was right. I got a lot out of that presentation even if none of it was Elma or Xenoblade related. Still, we live to fight another day.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I was shaking when they started showing off the assist trophies.

RIP Shovel Knight and Ashley fans...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
She wasn't shown...but she also survived a second time being shown as an AT.
They also didn't shown anything from Xenoblade, which bodies well for us. Especially since it seems that there still some new stages to reveal, and if one of those is Mira...

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Super happy Chrom is in, super bummed that Ashley is still an AT, but right back to being super happy over Richter (the best Belmont). Nothing about Elma, but that means nothing to deconfirm her.

Also, sounds like Sakurai is going to reveal every character before launch, so we have our deadline.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Assuming 103 is the final number of stages, we might not be getting a XCX stage... at least, not in the base game.

As jazzed as I am from the K Rool reveal, I still really hope Elma still has a chance.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It seems like they're going to dedicate one or two more presentations to dump the remaining newcomers in so really it'll just be narrowing down the remainder and hoping Elma appears at some point. It doesn't seem like the datamine will be a lead anymore but still, at least she isn't disconfirmed.

I'm so filled with anticipation. Sakurai took my expectations for the Direct and sent them soaring. Most of my most wanted still remain as possibilities after today and that includes Elma.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If anything I’d think we wouldn’t see Xenoblade 2 content (Rex and Pyra, a 2 stage) in the base game. I’m very confident there will be DLC so I’m not worried about them

Ok but what if we get two reveal presentations this month, with Elma revealed at Gamescom along with the new Xenoblade 2 patch??

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Assuming 103 is the final number of stages, we might not be getting a XCX stage... at least, not in the base game.

As jazzed as I am from the K Rool reveal, I still really hope Elma still has a chance.
The stage select in the trailer has 6 empty spaces at the bottom, so there's probably 6 left to be revealed

Top Bottom