• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Shadow Ops

Smash Rookie
Oh my, when I see screenshots like that I can't really understand the people who complain about Xenoblade X having weird faces. She is so precius when she smiles.
I think Lin's face is the one that always gets pointed out which is completely unfair to the rest.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Just found out a new piece of information via the Xenoblade subreddit Discord.

Elma will apparently have Overdrive as a skill similar to Shulk's Vision skill. The people there are saying that she is going to be among the strongest Blade in the game.
Do we know if she is going to be playable? Last time she was listed only as an enemy blade IIRC

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just found out a new piece of information via the Xenoblade subreddit Discord.

Elma will apparently have Overdrive as a skill similar to Shulk's Vision skill. The people there are saying that she is going to be among the strongest Blade in the game.
i hope they play wir fliegen when she activates overdrive

Also I’ve been noticing she’s been popping up in more leaks now, although that last image one...:eek:

She looked awfulllll ;_; Sakurai’s render designers are sure to have higher standards than that

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
i hope they play wir fliegen when she activates overdrive

Also I’ve been noticing she’s been popping up in more leaks now, although that last image one...:eek:

She looked awfulllll ;_; Sakurai’s render designers are sure to have higher standards than that
I know the leak you're talking about. Her design looks disgusting in that render.
And, why would Sakurai make the realistic characters look cartoony? What was the leaker thinking?
Also, it's 100% fake. They forgot to add ROB in it

And yes. According to the dataminers in the Discord, she will be playable after beating her in Challenge Mode. I hope you can change the unique monster theme to Uncontrollable like with You Will Know Our Names

Shadow Ops

Smash Rookie
I only thought about this now but if Elma gets in. I can't wait to see the Kirby hat for her it's gonna look so cute.

Mark Helsing

Smash Rookie
Not to kinkshame, but I need Elma to be revealed as soon as possible, because I'm tired of typing Elma into Tumblr and finding nothing but pictures of some kinda dragon girl from a waifu anime.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I know everyone in our little bubble would love Elma and people here on Smashboards would have expected her to join.

But oh boy, I can’t wait to taste the salt of the abundance of people’s reactions on YouTube and Twitter saying that Sakurai is crazy for adding a “irrelevant and outdated” (she won’t be outdated soon, trust me XBX and XBX2 will be on the Switch soon) character like Elma over the “obvious” inclusion of Rex and Pyra, hur hur hur hurr.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I know everyone in our little bubble would love Elma and people here on Smashboards would have expected her to join.

But oh boy, I can’t wait to taste the salt of the abundance of people’s reactions on YouTube and Twitter saying that Sakurai is crazy for adding a “irrelevant and outdated” (she won’t be outdated soon, trust me XBX and XBX2 will be on the Switch soon) character like Elma over the “obvious” inclusion of Rex and Pyra, hur hur hur hurr.
I'll preface this by saying that I've never seen Elma hate, but whoever is taking this stance is ridiculous. Rex & Pyra are a long shot for the base game and I don't see why they should be salty when it should become clear as day that those two will be DLC.

Besides, I guarantee you that whoever is ragging on Elma for being "irrelevant" unlike Rex & Pyra is probably still supporting K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac while ignoring that same flaw.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'll preface this by saying that I've never seen Elma hate, but whoever is taking this stance is ridiculous. Rex & Pyra are a long shot for the base game and I don't see why they should be salty when it should become clear as day that those two will be DLC.

Besides, I guarantee you that whoever is ragging on Elma for being "irrelevant" unlike Rex & Pyra is probably still supporting K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac while ignoring that same flaw.
Yeah I haven’t seen Elma hate either.

I still see some people on a lot of sites supporting them, and a lot more people have more knowledge on how the roster works.

But ALOT of people have been pushing Rex and Pyra to be in for the base roster, which is where my initial thought came from. I can tell that there will be a lot of shock to a lot of people when Elma gets revealed, and some hate since people have been rallying for Rex and Pyra to get in only to have someone they haven’t considered at all to get in (especially Etika).

Though I don’t think they should get angry too much, they’re bound to come later.

Let’s just hope for the best fellow soldiers!

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I only thought about this now but if Elma gets in. I can't wait to see the Kirby hat for her it's gonna look so cute.
Kirby would look so cute with Elma's hair! I need to see it!

Not to kinkshame, but I need Elma to be revealed as soon as possible, because I'm tired of typing Elma into Tumblr and finding nothing but pictures of some kinda dragon girl from a waifu anime.
SAAAAMMME. Looking up Elma anywhere always gets the Dragon(Which is good) but best Elma needs more representation!

Oh boy, the salt will be glorious! I've seen a few people who detest the idea of Elma in Smash (And just hate her character in general) And it'll be so funny to see them whine, lol.
And yea, I believe X will come to Switch probably next year, and X2 in 2020

That's very true.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
While I don't think people actually hate Elma, the vast majority is expecting Tax and Pyra probably because they seem the obvious choice, but completely missed the news that the roster was chosen in late 2015. That's why the Inklings are mostly based on Splatoon 1 rather than 2.
But honestly I'm sure that Elma will be capable to win over detractors with her unique moveset, just like the Villager or Palutena did.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
While I don't think people actually hate Elma, the vast majority is expecting Tax and Pyra probably because they seem the obvious choice, but completely missed the news that the roster was chosen in late 2015. That's why the Inklings are mostly based on Splatoon 1 rather than 2.
But honestly I'm sure that Elma will be capable to win over detractors with her unique moveset, just like the Villager or Palutena did.
Well, the people I've seen actually do hate Elma, but I haven't seen very many people, so it's probably not accurate to most of the people who don't want Elma in.
(In fact, the majority of people who don't want Elma probably don't want her because they have no idea who she is tbh) But once Elma gets in, a lot of people who don't care for her will hopefully like her, and be interested in picking up X when it inevitably comes to Switch.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Man, between the Sawano secret project, the project plan in late 2015, how Monolith wants to port X and make a sequel, and now
The Xenoblade 2 datamine, where the update with Elma is probably going to release in August
I really think that Elma might reveal soon, possibly in the next Nintendo Direct if it happens in August. I know that I shouldn't hype myself this way, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.

Also, whenever Elma will be revealed, that will be the time I will stop following Smash Leaks. I will just stick to this, Simon Belmont and Snake's threads. I would already got most of the characters I want, so I can take a backseat and be surprised with the game once it comes out.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Man, between the Sawano secret project, the project plan in late 2015, how Monolith wants to port X and make a sequel, and now
The Xenoblade 2 datamine, where the update with Elma is probably going to release in August
I really think that Elma might reveal soon, possibly in the next Nintendo Direct if it happens in August. I know that I shouldn't hype myself this way, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.

Also, whenever Elma will be revealed, that will be the time I will stop following Smash Leaks. I will just stick to this, Simon Belmont and Snake's threads. I would already got most of the characters I want, so I can take a backseat and be surprised with the game once it comes out.
Truly, all the stars are aligning in our favor 2018 will be the year of Elma!
Also, yea. Whenever Elma gets revealed is probably when I stop following leaks as well, I'm already getting pretty tired of them tbh, I just wanna know if Elma is in or not, and I wanna be as surprised as possible.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Truly, all the stars are aligning in our favor 2018 will be the year of Elma!
Also, yea. Whenever Elma gets revealed is probably when I stop following leaks as well, I'm already getting pretty tired of them tbh, I just wanna know if Elma is in or not, and I wanna be as surprised as possible.
Having Shulk (my most wanted at the time) leaked completely ruined his reveal for me and I do not need something like that repeated again. Unfortunately, it's more than just Elma I'm really clamoring for so even if she's revealed next, I'm weathering the storm and crossing my fingers that Sakurai holds to his word of clamping down on leaks.

The closer to release we get, the harder it'll be to do that, though.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Man, if
Elma is really coming in August
then I gotta hurry to finish XB2. I've been so late to start it, and even after starting it had so much trouble continuing it thanks to...a less than stellar start and how badly the *ahem* art style and character design *ahem* is so prominent early on.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Man, if
then I gotta hurry to finish XB2. I've been so late to start it, and even after starting it had so much trouble continuing it thanks to...a less than stellar start and how badly the *ahem* art style and character design *ahem* is so prominent early on.
Personally I found the start of Xenoblade 1 far worse than Xenoblade 2's. In fact even 20 hours in I'm still not motivated or invested enough in the characters or story to go back and finish it. Xenoblade 2 on the other hand pumps up since you meet Pyra.

Also I never understood the complains about the character designs being bad, the only things that bother me are Rex's face, which is a little generic (although his costume is great, no wonder they put it into Zelda) and Pyra's shorts, but overall the designs are great. Mòrag and Zeke are awesome, for example.

Last edited:

Shadow Ops

Smash Rookie
Man, if
Oh I'm excited as well can't wait. Please don't mess her up.

Why not? We have Shulk, so why not this chick? :)
I like your attitude (sorry I had to)

MattX20

Smash Hero
My main question regarding Elma in Smash is this, would her
true form
be used or her Skel or both be used for her final Smash?

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard

That's actually something I've been meaning to talk about. I love a good bit of schadenfreude, and while there's no way Elma's reveal would reach the mountainous levels of sodium that Corrin gifted me with, there would still be enough for a couple wheelbarrows full. Though I think, for the most part, the prevailing attitude among Pyra fans would be one of resignation, as in "Well, the timing was right for Elma, but we still have DLC."

I can't really say what the reaction among non-Xenoblade fans would be, though. Hopefully her moveset would be unique enough that people would be willing to give her a chance. I imagine there will be some people who will rage at the idea of "another anime swordfighter" no matter what, and if she gets revealed before K. Rool, there will definitely be some "WHERE'S MAH K. ROOL!?" Oh, and sprinkle in some of those annoying people who only want Waluigi in because he's a meme, because that's something I have to deal with now, apparently.

Yeah I haven’t seen Elma hate either.
Oh, I have. Most of it comes from people who still think X is a bad game (or they never bought a Wii U, saw people saying it's a bad game and decided to just go with it) and that Elma is a bad character. I've seen a few people say that they'll refuse to buy Ultimate if Elma is in and Pyra isn't. I doubt any of them will actually follow through on that, but if they do then... hey, that's their hill to die on.

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
true form
Common consensus around here is that her Skell would be used for her Final Smash.

And her true form would be an alt skin, if Sakurai doesn't mind the spoilers.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Personally I found the start of Xenoblade 1 far worse than Xenoblade 2's. In fact even 20 hours in I'm still not motivated or invested enough in the characters or story to go back and finish it. Xenoblade 2 on the other hand pumps up since you meet Pyra.

Also I never understood the complains about the character designs being bad, the only things that bother me are Rex's face, which is a little generic (although his costume is great, no wonder they put it into Zelda) and Pyra's shorts, but overall the designs are great. Mòrag and Zeke are awesome, for example.
For me, it goes XC > XC2 > XCX.

XC is the strongest in terms of hooking me in the beginning. I still enjoyed the beginning of both XC2 and XCX, just wasn't as hooked as I was for XC. For XC, I was instantly hooked to the story once Colony 9 got attacked along with a certain character's death (which I wasn't anticipating at all at the time).

I don't mind the character designs of XC2, but I can understand people's resentment towards them. I'd like Monolith Soft to find a nice balance for the characters in the next Xenoblade title because honestly, I'm sick of seeing Xenoblade topics getting derailed by those who despise the designs/sexualization.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
true form
I don't think her true form would work for a Final Smash, since it doesn't burst or change her capabilities. She used a mimeosome in order to be accepted and trusted by humans, since just a small group of higher ups knew about her being an alien. It would work better as an alt, while leaving the Smell as the Final Smash

For me, it goes XC > XC2 > XCX.

XC is the strongest in terms of hooking me in the beginning. I still enjoyed the beginning of both XC2 and XCX, just wasn't as hooked as I was for XC. For XC, I was instantly hooked to the story once Colony 9 got attacked along with a certain character's death (which I wasn't anticipating at all at the time).

I don't mind the character designs of XC2, but I can understand people's resentment towards them. I'd like Monolith Soft to find a nice balance for the characters in the next Xenoblade title because honestly, I'm sick of seeing Xenoblade topics getting derailed by those who despise the designs/sexualization.
I don't know, I never felt anything for Colony 9 when I played the game, and I was bored easily after that. But maybe a big factor in that was that I could never get a grasp at XC's gameplay. I still today can't understand how to effectively use Shulk's vision in battle. Maybe once I'm done with XC2's DLC I should start over the first game, maybe now I can better understand it.

But for me the best first hour was with XCX. Being awakened by Elma, having to go back to NLA just with her and even having already there a braching path was truly amazing. I will never forget that first journey on Mira.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Personally I found the start of Xenoblade 1 far worse than Xenoblade 2's
Not a great comparison since I didn't play 1 and tried to play it on VC but also dropped it when a) it was clear that it had nothing to do with X so I didn't have much reason to push through and b) same thing as you happened.

XC2's start is definitely not the worst of starts ever, but it's hardly been great IMO. While story wise XCX starts out mediocre too it at least pulls the 'BotW cave exit' strategy of giving you a taste of the world and it's expanse to keep you moving the story along, and even then it starts out boringly after 'we were being hounded by aliens after the earth was destroyed', which is at least a nice hook. I haven't seen as much of the XC2 world to know if it stands up but that's part of the problem.

Also I never understood the complains about the character designs being bad, the only things that bother me are Rex's face, which is a little generic [...] and Pyra's shorts
Generic faces (but I can deal with that but it's still a negative) costumes that just don't stand out (I disagree on Rex's being much better than anything else I've seen) and the most basic cases of 'designed around their "chests"' that I've seen in games in a while (from poses to costumes), and on top of that she has the shorts to boot. The camera/cinematography direction sure hasn't helped it along in that last department.

EDIT:
I'm glad you take the route of hoping the (admittedly subjective) issue is fixed rather than the path of pushing against the criticisms just because they take over discussion. I see way too much of the latter on the internet and it's infuriating.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I remember a time when stating Elma is more likely than Rex would have been seen as an outlandish claim.

Also, people have to remember that Smash has already included characters that were "outdated" by the time the Smash game they debuted in were released even though they were really recent at the time. Just look at Lucas in Brawl and Palutena in Smash 4, especially since both of their franchises were confirmed to have no future before those Smash games released.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Not a great comparison since I didn't play 1 and tried to play it on VC but also dropped it when a) it was clear that it had nothing to do with X so I didn't have much reason to push through and b) same thing as you happened.

XC2's start is definitely not the worst of starts ever, but it's hardly been great IMO. While story wise XCX starts out mediocre too it at least pulls the 'BotW cave exit' strategy of giving you a taste of the world and it's expanse to keep you moving the story along, and even then it starts out boringly after 'we were being hounded by aliens after the earth was destroyed', which is at least a nice hook. I haven't seen as much of the XC2 world to know if it stands up but that's part of the problem.

Generic faces (but I can deal with that but it's still a negative) costumes that just don't stand out (I disagree on Rex's being much better than anything else I've seen) and the most basic cases of 'designed around their "chests"' that I've seen in games in a while (from poses to costumes), and on top of that she has the shorts to boot. The camera/cinematography direction sure hasn't helped it along in that last department.

EDIT:
I'm glad you take the route of hoping the (admittedly subjective) issue is fixed rather than the path of pushing against the criticisms just because they take over discussion. I see way too much of the latter on the internet and it's infuriating.
IDK, I never felt that Pyra and Mytrha were designed as "b00bies with legs". Just because they have a big chest doesn't mean they are sexualized (which could be pointed that most Xeno games have large breasted girl, like Sharla in XC, who can also be left in her underwear). When I think to sexualized characters I usually think to Camilla from Fire Emblem Fates, which is an archetype were Pyra and Mytrha don't belong. But I can see why people might not like things like the shorts.
Also if you are thinking to other Blades like Dalhia don't forget that most Blades were designed by several famous artists, not just the art team behind the rest of the game and the main cast.

Also I prefer a more generic anime look if it looks good, and Xenoblade 2 art style works (while XC character design, while great in 2D, looked very poorly in the game, which is strange since Smash was able to give Shulk a real face).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
IDK, I never felt that Pyra and Mytrha were designed as "b00bies with legs". Just because they have a big chest doesn't mean they are sexualized (which could be pointed that most Xeno games have large breasted girl, like Sharla in XC, who can also be left in her underwear). When I think to sexualized characters I usually think to Camilla from Fire Emblem Fates, which is an archetype were Pyra and Mytrha don't belong. But I can see why people might not like things like the shorts.
Also if you are thinking to other Blades like Dalhia don't forget that most Blades were designed by several famous artists, not just the art team behind the rest of the game and the main cast.

Also I prefer a more generic anime look if it looks good, and Xenoblade 2 art style works (while XC character design, while great in 2D, looked very poorly in the game, which is strange since Smash was able to give Shulk a real face).
I personally consider Pyra and Mythra to be sexualised tbh, their designs feel like they take every opportunity they can to make it sexy, it's not just the big boobs, it's the cutouts on the boobs, the slits up the side of the top and the shorts, the crazy short shorts. Compare those guys to Malos, their in-game equivalent who's covered from neck to toe in thick black armour and it just makes them look worse, they're supposed to be warriors yet that armour would do nothing for them in any actual combat scenario, maybe the architect was just one pervy mother ******.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
IDK, I never felt that Pyra and Mytrha were designed as "b00bies with legs".
To be honest, I'm frankly not sure how one wouldn't feel that way. (evidently it's possible, I don't mean that to be accusatory)

Like, from the size, to the weird angle they're at so you can see them from behind, to the camera shots and poses doing nothing but emphasising them as such, to the cuts of the costumes.

Furthermore, you seem to be defining 'sexualisation' as 'the character acts sexual', which is the literal opposite. If it's their character to act sexual then that isn't sexualisation, that's a character who is sexual. Sexualisation is taking a character who isn't sexual and emphasising sex/sexiness in them.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

For me XCX was my first Xenoblade game, and to this day is still my favorite. X had me hooked from the start, and kept me wanting more the entire time. Plus, the character have a ton of depth to them, if you get all the affinity missions and heart to hearts.
Also, the world of X is so interesting and mysterious, and I love to just fly around it sometimes. Plus, the planet, especially Oblivia, is filled to the brim with lore and intrigue, I love it all so much!

while for most of 2, I had to drag myself through most of the story. There were times when there was some cool action scenes, but I never really got invested into the world of 2 until the final few chapters. Pretty much all the characters in 2 feel one dimensional, and while I like the characters, they mostly just feel generic and bland to me.
Like I said, it gets really cool in the final chapters, but other than that, I just didn't really care about what happens to the world, or it's people.

I haven't played 1, but I've watched a part of a let's play of it, and while I know a let's play can't give you the same effect as playing it yourself, I feel like it's already started off stronger than 2. I'm actually invested in 1's world, and I like the characters so far.

That being said, as a whole, Xenoblade is my favorite JRPG franchise, and while I don't like 2 quite as much as the others, it's still a dang good game! I'm just more of a fan of the style that XCX has, with the wide open world, and less story focus, and more exploration based gameplay. It's why I love BotW so much as well (And I don't think it's a coincidence that BotW was developed in part by the XCX team. Those guys know how to craft beautiful worlds)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I personally consider Pyra and Mythra to be sexualised tbh, their designs feel like they take every opportunity they can to make it sexy, it's not just the big boobs, it's the cutouts on the boobs, the slits up the side of the top and the shorts, the crazy short shorts. Compare those guys to Malos, their in-game equivalent who's covered from neck to toe in thick black armour and it just makes them look worse, they're supposed to be warriors yet that armour would do nothing for them in any actual combat scenario, maybe the architect was just one pervy mother ******.
To be honest, I'm frankly not sure how one wouldn't feel that way. (evidently it's possible, I don't mean that to be accusatory)

Like, from the size, to the weird angle they're at so you can see them from behind, to the camera shots and poses doing nothing but emphasising them as such, to the cuts of the costumes.

Furthermore, you seem to be defining 'sexualisation' as 'the character acts sexual', which is the literal opposite. If it's their character to act sexual then that isn't sexualisation, that's a character who is sexual. Sexualisation is taking a character who isn't sexual and emphasising sex/sexiness in them.
With that definition every single character can be classified as sexualized then. From Samus in her Justin Bailey/Zero Suit, to Peach in her sport outfit or even Elma with some outfits in the game.

Honestly I never even noticed strange angles or something like that, or at the very least I never thought they were intentional. And all the cut out, or emphasise on their breast is something that has always been in Japanese designs, not just in XC2. I just find kind of hipocritic (not you in particular, mind you, but the people who complain about XC2 design while eloging XC1) calling Pyra sexualized (when her cleavage is completely covered)
XC2_Pyra_artwork.png

All while no one baits an eye against Sharla
Sharla.png

I can't see the difference honestly (besides the shorts, but I've already talked about them). If someone wants to call Pyra a sexualized charatacter then he should have to complain about Sharla too IMO, but most detractors of XC2 seems to forget this.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
With that definition every single character can be classified as sexualized then. From Samus in her Justin Bailey/Zero Suit, to Peach in her sport outfit or even Elma with some outfits in the game.

Honestly I never even noticed strange angles or something like that, or at the very least I never thought they were intentional. And all the cut out, or emphasise on their breast is something that has always been in Japanese designs, not just in XC2. I just find kind of hipocritic (not you in particular, mind you, but the people who complain about XC2 design while eloging XC1) calling Pyra sexualized (when her cleavage is completely covered)View attachment 154916
View attachment 154917
I can't see the difference honestly (besides the shorts, but I've already talked about them). If someone wants to call Pyra a sexualized charatacter then he should have to complain about Sharla too IMO, but most detractors of XC2 seems to forget this.
Samus' Zero suit is fine because it's meant to be a skintight suit to wear under her suit, Peach's sports outfit is fine because it's practical for sports, that's something a normal person would wear in that scenario. And there are many Xenoblade X outfits that are heavily sexualised, but they are all optional and come with equally sexy male counterparts.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sharla's design I'll be clear, but I think something like that is more fitting for her because she's a medic, she's not a weapon who's purpose is for battling like pyra, when talking about characters being sexualised you have to take into account the role the character has and if their outfit is practical for who they are as a character, Sharla's look isn't perfect but it's more fitting than Pyra's.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

Honestly I never even noticed strange angles or something like that, or at the very least I never thought they were intentional. And all the cut out, or emphasise on their breast is something that has always been in Japanese designs, not just in XC2. I just find kind of hipocritic (not you in particular, mind you, but the people who complain about XC2 design while eloging XC1) calling Pyra sexualized (when her cleavage is completely covered)View attachment 154916
View attachment 154917
I can't see the difference honestly (besides the shorts, but I've already talked about them). If someone wants to call Pyra a sexualized charatacter then he should have to complain about Sharla too IMO.
The thing with Pyra is that I don't feel like she would be the type of girl who would wear that kind of outfit. She seems like the really shy and insecure type, and they're not really the type of people who would generally be ok with showing skin like that.

With Sharla, as far as I know her, she seems really confident in herself, both in her abilities as a fighter, and confident in her body, so it doesn't seem out of place with her showing skin.

Same with Elma. She's really confident, and Elma seems like the kind of girl who would rock a revealing outfit with confidence.
With someone like Phog however, he doesn't seem like he's the type of person who would wear revealing outfits like Elma could.

That's just my 2 cents on it tho. Imo, if a character is sexualized, but doesn't make sense with the character, it's needless sexualization, like almost every anime girl ever tbh.

But, if it's a powerful character who is confident in their self, then it's fine, because they wouldn't really care about what people would think about their bodies. For example, Bayonetta, Samus' Zero suit, Elma (If you choose to put her in a revealing outfit) And for a guy's example, Link.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Samus' Zero suit is fine because it's meant to be a skintight suit to wear under her suit, Peach's sports outfit is fine because it's practical for sports, that's something a normal person would wear in that scenario. And there are many Xenoblade X outfits that are heavily sexualised, but they are all optional and come with equally sexy male counterparts.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sharla's design I'll be clear, but I think something like that is more fitting for her because she's a medic, she's not a weapon who's purpose is for battling like pyra, when talking about characters being sexualised you have to take into account the role the character has and if their outfit is practical for who they are as a character, Sharla's look isn't perfect but it's more fitting than Pyra's.
The thing with Pyra is that I don't feel like she would be the type of girl who would wear that kind of outfit. She seems like the really shy and insecure type, and they're not really the type of people who would generally be ok with showing skin like that.

With Sharla, as far as I know her, she seems really confident in herself, both in her abilities as a fighter, and confident in her body, so it doesn't seem out of place with her showing skin.

Same with Elma. She's really confident, and Elma seems like the kind of girl who would rock a revealing outfit with confidence.
With someone like Phog however, he doesn't seem like he's the type of person who would wear revealing outfits like Elma could.

That's just my 2 cents on it tho. Imo, if a character is sexualized, but doesn't make sense with the character, it's needless sexualization, like almost every anime girl ever tbh.

But, if it's a powerful character who is confident in their self, then it's fine, because they wouldn't really care about what people would think about their bodies. For example, Bayonetta, Samus' Zero suit, Elma (If you choose to put her in a revealing outfit) And for a guy's example, Link.
Interesting. But at the same time it could be said that Pyra, being a Fire Blade, would need to show some skin in order to dissipate some heat from her body (she and Brighid do state when they reach Tantal that their bodies is considerably warmer than normal humans) which would excuse her design. It's not the best excuse, but it works as the Sharla's ones (if not better, considering that being a medic doesn't automatically mean you can't be covered).

Also XC2 End of Chapter 7 spoilers
xenoblade_chronicles_2___pneuma_by_kurokairaku-dcc6jaw.png

This is Pyra's fully awekened form, the one that is meant to fight, and as you can see the armour almost cover her fully

I just wanted to point out to the member of this group, who are all awesome people, why I don't feel that most criticism against XC2 designs are fair, and I fear that we might became like the FE fandom, full of elitist who think they are better because they knew the series before it was popular.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Interesting. But at the same time it could be said that Pyra, being a Fire Blade, would need to show some skin in order to dissipate some heat from her body (she and Brighid do state when they reach Tantal that their bodies is considerably warmer than normal humans) which would excuse her design. It's not the best excuse, but it works as the Sharla's ones (if not better, considering that being a medic doesn't automatically mean you can't be covered).

View attachment 154919
This is Pyra's fully awekened form, the one that is meant to fight, and as you can see the armour almost cover her fully

I just wanted to point out to the member of this group, who are all awesome people, why I don't feel that most criticism against XC2 designs are fair, and I fear that we might became like the FE fandom, full of elitism who think they are better because they knew the series before it was popular.
The fire blade thing doesn't really work for mythra tho, and they're all supposed to fight anyway, Mythra was the form who fought Malos and nearly destroyed the world I believe.

Sharla's thing is that she was a normal civilian medic, in that case she would be able to wear whatever she wants, it's far from a perfect outfit and not at all what I would choose for her but it doesn't spoil her design like pyra and mythra imo.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 154919

I just wanted to point out to the member of this group, who are all awesome people, why I don't feel that most criticism against XC2 designs are fair, and I fear that we might became like the FE fandom, full of elitism who think they are better because they knew the series before it was popular.
That actually makes sense now that I think about it, since I believe the crater said they wanted Pyra/Mythra's designs to feel incomplete, like they were missing something. So it kind of makes sense that she would be less clothed in her incomplete forms. I mean, it doesn't entierly excuse it, they knew what they were doing. But it does make a lot of sense

Top Bottom