• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elliot's Guide to Pro Ike Play (EDIT: Ike is top tier!)

Puppet Master

Smash Cadet
Ike's confirmed for top tier?!?!? They made the 1st tier already?! idc if they did or not, i've been checkin some Ike vids to get ready with his metagame and i muct say Ike is completely PWNSOME!!!

Mr.C

Smash Master
Coming from a high-level competitive smash as myself, Ike is mid tier at best. But that doesn't change the fact hes a pimp. :]

scyther250

Smash Cadet
Just some more ideas

Now, I've been using Ike for almost a month and a half now, and I think I have some good experience to share. By now we should all know that the new air-dodging mechanics are very good for defense, and tend to leave Ike very open to punishment. However, Aether is a persistent projectile, so it has a rather negative effect on anyone air-dodge approaching.

While this alone is quite useful, Aether has another use for edgeguarding that I feel has been overlooked. I call this technique the Aether-Spike, and I'm sure you'll see why in a moment.

When someone is out over the edge, even a little bit, get yourself to the edge, stand right on the edge, and then, when the enemy is in range of Aether, either in front or above you, use it. If you did it right, the sword will catch the enemy, beat them up, and then spike them with the downslash. If you placed it right, you'll carry the enemy over the edge with you, but you will catch the edge behind you, while the enemy plummets to their doom in a non-meteor-cancellable fall. It usually kills instantly at damages over 30%, but, if the enemy doesn't die, you're already on the edge to edgehog. If the enemy is someone with stupidly high recovery like Sonic or Pit, you can just follow it up with a non-punishable aerial down by dropping off the edge, immediately jumping, and then using aerial down. Aether goes just high enough to get you back on.

Using this method, Ike becomes the king of spiking in Brawl. I'd upload a video, but I only have dialup.

On another note, my sig is two years old...

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
Ike's confirmed for top tier?!?!? They made the 1st tier already?! idc if they did or not, i've been checkin some Ike vids to get ready with his metagame and i muct say Ike is completely PWNSOME!!!
A- PWNSOME really. Please never say this again.
B- and NO there is not a Tier list.
C- No way he is #1 mid-high tier at best.NOT top

metroid1117

Smash Master
Now, I've been using Ike for almost a month and a half now, and I think I have some good experience to share. By now we should all know that the new air-dodging mechanics are very good for defense, and tend to leave Ike very open to punishment. However, Aether is a persistent projectile, so it has a rather negative effect on anyone air-dodge approaching.

While this alone is quite useful, Aether has another use for edgeguarding that I feel has been overlooked. I call this technique the Aether-Spike, and I'm sure you'll see why in a moment.

When someone is out over the edge, even a little bit, get yourself to the edge, stand right on the edge, and then, when the enemy is in range of Aether, either in front or above you, use it. If you did it right, the sword will catch the enemy, beat them up, and then spike them with the downslash. If you placed it right, you'll carry the enemy over the edge with you, but you will catch the edge behind you, while the enemy plummets to their doom in a non-meteor-cancellable fall. It usually kills instantly at damages over 30%, but, if the enemy doesn't die, you're already on the edge to edgehog. If the enemy is someone with stupidly high recovery like Sonic or Pit, you can just follow it up with a non-punishable aerial down by dropping off the edge, immediately jumping, and then using aerial down. Aether goes just high enough to get you back on.

Using this method, Ike becomes the king of spiking in Brawl. I'd upload a video, but I only have dialup.

On another note, my sig is two years old...
I've done this before. It might only be in the USA version, but I think your opponent can end up on the stage if they DI well enough and if they're high enough.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
elliot's ike is evolving, as are his strategies and skill with ike.

having said that, his ike is a sexy beast!

Top Bottom