• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elliot's Guide to Pro Ike Play (EDIT: Ike is top tier!)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
You're spacing it wrong.
In effect, the Grand Viper is a quick way to space in a Utilt, and so the only way to do it wrong would be to space your forward b wrong or miss with your utilt(which means you spaced your forward b wrong).

So actually
lol......YOUR DOIMG IT WRONG...lol

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Whatever, if you can use it on me I'll believe you. =P

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
hey that quote was in a different sense but it made me laugh

any of u guys got a CC or a digital recorder.....im sure u guys no what ill ask u...im tired of hoping lee, noir, or bdcool will upload ike vids and there not coming out anymore..:(

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
There's no way the Grand Viper won't work when spaced properly.
The only thing required for the Grand Viper to work would be...
1. Your Forward B moves you forwards.
2. Your utilt connects with the enemy.
Grand Viper is just a cool name for the approach.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Actually, the vid linked on the fourth line of the first post demonstrates the exact same thing.
Make sure to incorporate it into your Ike play!

Beauregard

Smash Cadet
Actually, the vid linked on the fourth line of the first post demonstrates the exact same thing.
Make sure to incorporate it into your Ike play!

why did he call it moonwalking? its a very good trick, but given the requirement for it to work makes it not very spammable, and even if it were effectively spammable, any competent player will see it coming after 1 or 2 uses as its ikes best attack. I have found it best used as a finisher if they reach high percentages

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
the vid creator called it moonwalking.
It's good that you found a use for it, but i don't see why you would make a separate vid to demonstrate that it can kill, if that's what you're trying to justify.
any technique that can lead to more bair is great. because it's one of Ike's faster moves, it's also useable as an approach move since you don't have to commit half an hour of your life to each repetition of it. ultimately, though, how you use it will be up to you.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Gimpyfish talked a lot in his Brawl preview about how slow Ike is, and he is pretty slow for the most part. Oh, well.
And when i did last listen to waht gimpy said, i found out not to listen to his stories anymore

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
lol....^^^^^^ yea his bair is great it is spammable but just like someone said (dont feel like checking) 1 or 2 times ur oppenent will catch on then u could play around with quick draw put some pressure on make them creme there pants then play defensive....just speculation..:)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
If any of you guys played melee, you'd know that shuffling properly spaced aerials was a pretty good approach no matter what.
The moonwalk bair is so fast, it's a lot like a shuffled aerial, and so you pretty much have a melee approach in brawl.
And we all know how hard a melee character would rock a brawl character, each given their own physics. ;)

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
and ikes "half hop" is a melee short hop so in a way we have a melee character W/O l cancel..except bair and nair

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
why is it called moonwalk anyways? didnt we already have a moonwalk in melee. this would just confuse people. i saw on the youtube page someone suggested "Reverse Aerial Postioning" or "RAP" for short.
so i just RAP'ed a bair.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I really wish people would stop calling it "Moonwalking". RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush) sounds way better. The character isn't even walking anyway.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
very tru^^^^^^^ it sounds way better and ur not even moonwalking....compared to ssbm

Mr.C

Smash Master
I really wish people would stop calling it "Moonwalking". RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush) sounds way better. The character isn't even walking anyway.
As the person who invented Moonwalking in Melee, I'm kind of pissed that you could even consider a reverse aerial even coming close to what Moonwalking is, lol.

I agree RAR sounds much better. It also pretty much explains what you're doing to...lol I see no Moonwalk what so ever in the RAR.

Mr.C

Smash Master
isnt moonwalking ur character is walking backwards?
Yes, its your character using his momentum to travel backwards.

RAR is just doing an instant pivot...pretty much but the pivot is much easier to pull off.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
hmm so nothing has really been discovered in a way but just another application in SSBB that wasnt in SSBM....thx u for that..but what do i call it?

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Dude, you should update your rating for Ike's Dtilt. It spikes HARD at like 6% here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znzJaeYqt18
I didn't really mention it because it's not really that great. Yes it does spike, but every recovery in the game pretty much auto-sweetspots the ledge, making it nearly impossible to hit. Also, it's kinda slow, so you have to predict both their recovery pattern and time it right. The Ike in that video got lucky that the CF jumped to the edge instead of further off the stage. Cool to watch, but not super applicable in real match.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't change the fact that the CPU did something no person ever would. If missing an auto-sweetspot on purpose is above average, then I'm like a God Tier player.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Looking over the guide, its very nice :D

I'd like to add some input though.

I've tested pretty much all of Ike's moves for super armor. I'm 98.54% sure that his AAA combo doesn't have any super armor. The only moves I have seen with super armor are eruption and aether.

Was also thinking of putting some of my own impressions of Ike in my thread, but there are so many other threads already with these kinds of things XD I'll have to think about it i guess hehe

Top Bottom