• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elliot's Guide to Pro Ike Play (EDIT: Ike is top tier!)

jaycee00

Smash Cadet
i seeeeeeee. so you're pretty much using it to travel then?

cool. keep the tips comin! i love ike man...hes slow as **** but i love em!

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Elliot was playing this on my wii the past weekend (ALL weekend) to make this guide and I played quite a bit of Ike (and faced Elliot's Ike), let me add a few things.

-I like Ike's jab a lot more than Elliot does. It's a quick punch (one of Ike's few quick attacks), then a kick, then a sword slash. The slash is an arc in front of you (think marth fsmash) and the punch-kick-slash combo landed for me at all percents. Not much knock but it's quick and builds damage. You can follow this up after the side-B instead of utilt for an alternate approach.

-Speaking of side-B approaches, you can charge his side B and keep charging it as long as you want. The longer you charge the further you go. Damage is also probably increased. When you approach with side-B, you can only follow up with an attack if your side-B MISSED. If your side-B LANDS it knocks them too far and has too much ending lag to follow up. Also, if they shield and you "land" the side-B you're screwed.

-Ike's back air is indeed awesome. Damage+knock of most of his attacks but it COMES OUT FAST. The thing is, it's not a huge arc like most of his attacks so you actually have to aim it.

-I don't like Ike's dtilt. It comes out way too slow to be used like Marth's.

-Ike ***** free for alls.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Drack pwned my face off with R.O.B wtf.

TY for letting us do 1v1s though, Drack. Didn't actually thank you for that, and I got the impression you only did it because we're annoying.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
if the utilt startup lag isnt too bad, then perhaps uthrow -> utilt ->utilt ->usmash could be viable. and even if they DI out of the utilts, usmash has enough range to follow up and most likely hit them. but we'll see. if it works, i dub it the "waltz combo". /lulz
^^ Should have been waltz of death. :psycho:

If all he needs is a few frames of pre-move lag off 2 or 3 moves, then it'll probably get done. Little things to help balance the game were done for PAL (e.g. no Link UpB semi-spike), so it's a possibility.

Ike is pretty cool. Not too cool for school, but still cool.
i patented this combo on 11/11/07. i win.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I remember when certain people on the Ike Forums said he couldnt combo.
Thanks Elliot!!!

PS: I NEED UR NUMBER!!! WE NEED TO DO SOME BRAWL AND GEAR ACTION ASAP!!!

(ur phone number Elliot lol I dont have urs or Tong's)

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
lol, no one gets an official combo name untill you reach Ken status. Otherwise no one is going to pay attention to it. XD

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yes u can i hope min will work the grand ragnarok

AA>R>SIDEB>UTILT>AETHER

but yea ur gona be my partner for the ike wars and thanks elude did it

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
just a few people who want to see who will be the best ike user when it comes out and a long time afterwards 2 v 2 and 1 v 1 theres not many people tho....:( but itll be fun

GenG

Smash Lord
Today I got the chance to play as Ike, at is exactly like I imagined him. It's POWERFUL, 3 or 4 hits are enough to keep anybody out of the stage. The moves I used the most were...

AAA: Ike's most important move. Quick, powerful, large, for catching those sneaky characters and against spotdodgers.
Dash attack: This move is a fantastic approacher, it's fast and doesn't have much lag, Ike's lunges forward a bit so you have to release the move before or you won't hit.
Fair: My god this move is awesome. Since Brawl is more floating you will be hitting with this like cake.
Bair: It's quick and very poweful, but Fair has much more range.
Dair: It has good priority, I used it all the time when people was below me.
Uair: Yet another amazing move which hits twice and can Star KO people easily.
Nair: It's intended for self-protection, as it isn't too powerful but can hit around you.
Fsmash: Hard to land, but rewarding.
Usmash: This move is better than the Fsmash in the sense than can hit in both sides and it's large.
Dsmash: Fast.
Forward B: It's amazing for approaching!
Up B: Aether is also amazing, deals huge damage and the spinning sword acts like a disjointed hitbox.
B: I didn't use Eruption that much, but can kill without even charging, plus it has super armor when releasing it.

Ike is a monster. My friends were using fast characters like Metaknight and Pit and I while I had some problems at 1vs1, you can spam AAA and then follow with some aerials. Seriously, just keep the people airborne with grabs and launchers and abuse air moves.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I had the opposite experience, amazing at 1v1 but not as good at FFA or teams.

I don't like the dash attack or the AAA, and I do like Eruption, but besides that I mostly agree with what he said.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Gawd I can't wait to play Ike. -_- I'm so tempted to just buy a JP Wii and Brawl, but I want to wait and experience it with the rest of my crew.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
how is ike confirmed for top tier?
Moonwalk to back air is unbelievable.
As back air is one of his best moves, Moonwalk allows him to short hop it like a forward or neutral air, giving him great approach from both the front and back. For Ike not to be at least high tier at this point, there's gonna have to be at least 3 characters with waveshines.

Allin

Smash Journeyman
Moonwalk to back air is unbelievable.
As back air is one of his best moves, Moonwalk allows him to short hop it like a forward or neutral air, giving him great approach from both the front and back. For Ike not to be at least high tier at this point, there's gonna have to be at least 3 characters with waveshines.

NUB QUESTION ALERT

How do you moon walk?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yea same thing i no its a rotation of some sort on joystick but i dont no exactly how to do it in brawl

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
NUB QUESTION ALERT

How do you moon walk?
Copied from the youtube video description:

"[Moonwalking] is done by running in one direction, turning around, then immediately smashing the stick in the initial direction."

So if you wanna back air (and trust me you do), you run at them, say running to the right, and when you want to do the back air, you smash left and do a regular back air (smash to the right) as though you were facing the other way from the start. Videos explain better than words imo, but that's my attempt at breaking it down.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
nice any ike vidz from u would be great i saw that moonwalk and thought ike bair immediatly lol

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Drack pwned my face off with R.O.B wtf.

TY for letting us do 1v1s though, Drack. Didn't actually thank you for that, and I got the impression you only did it because we're annoying.
Yeah, lol at my rob winning that. I wanted to see you guys 1v1 anyway. There's not enough footage of good brawl players doing 1v1 and I'd been playing all weekend so why not?

Anyway, if you want to come back again, I have all characters unlocked.

That means more ike info for all you other smashers here :p

Hostility

Smash Ace
I have my own little variation of the grand viper. spaced forward B to the jab combo. At higher percents where the uptilt won't combo I think it works better. Also Ike forward air to jab combo works at low percents

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
This guide is great. The grand viper combo is fantastic and will see a lot of use in Ike play.

However, I think it'd be good if you went into depth concerning super armor frames, if possible.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, lol at my rob winning that. I wanted to see you guys 1v1 anyway. There's not enough footage of good brawl players doing 1v1 and I'd been playing all weekend so why not?

Anyway, if you want to come back again, I have all characters unlocked.

That means more ike info for all you other smashers here :p
Oh man, an open invitation for Brawl? I'ma be up in that room all the time now :p

All characters unlocked just means more guys for Snake to blow up. BOOM.

This new moonwalk thing actually means a lot for Ike. And Snake. I'm excited.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This guide is funny.

Anyway I can telll just from watching vids that Ike is solid. I don't know if he will be top tier, but I'm thinking high tier right now.

Also Ike's jab is amazing. Good range and pretty safe on block. His standard AAA string is nice too. Also pretty safe and can kill. Quick draw looks solid. It's doesn't seem to have much lag so it could be good for getting around while still remaining safe.

People need to look for IASA frames and SA on Ike's moves. I'm pretty sure Ike has SA on his AAA combo, which also makes it beast.

Mike87

Smash Ace
Only a little over a month before I can play as Ike.
That Grand Viper Combo sounds fun to use.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei

Only if you're Sol Badguy, and Ike definately isn't lame enough to shout out stupid attacks like "Grand Viper." =P

Also, I've tried to do it, it really doesn't work. >_>

Top Bottom