• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elliot's Guide to Pro Ike Play (EDIT: Ike is top tier!)

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Ike is now confirmed for top tier!! Also I've played Brawl some more so I've updated some stuff. Final smash and throws added, as well as rating tweaks and more detailed descriptions on numerous attacks.
Check this junk out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNKH7EpuLE
Moonwalk = MASS BACK AIR SPAM
Go Ike players, go and destroy everyone!

So a bunch of people have played Brawl now and it's flippin' sweet. I've been playing Brawl since it came out, and been playing Ike pretty much exclusively since he's awesome.

So, you wanna play Ike? I don't blame you. He's incredible!

Pros:
He kills people at percentages lower than 200%. This may sound crazy, but most characters in Brawl can't kill effectively until about 150% or so. Ike usually kills before 100%!
He's super heavy. He doesn't die nearly as fast as most characters, and there are only a couple characters (Samus, Snake, etc.) as heavy as him.
Super armor!!
GRAND VIPER! This combo is rapetastic x 100. It decimates. More to come in the strategy section.

Cons:
Bad recovery. If you get knocked off the stage you're welcome to try really hard to get back. But don't keep your hopes up too high. Also, most recoveries in Brawl auto-sweetspot the ledge, Ike has two recovery options: forward+B and up+B, both of which do not auto-sweetspot the ledge. So um....good luck getting back!
Oh man this guy is slow. Gimpyfish talked a lot in his Brawl preview about how slow Ike is, and he is pretty slow for the most part. Oh, well.

The moveset! Ike's moves, like himself, are awesome. I will be giving short descriptions of each move + ratings out of 10.

Let's start with his ground moves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jab (neutral A) - This is pretty much Ike's only move that doesn't kill. I'm serious. I'm not a big personal fan of jabbing, as it's kinda slow and not too high damage or knockback. 3rd hit gets Super Armor, however, and it happens to be one of Ike's faster moves, so don't completely discount it. You can also jab cancel, by merely hitting shield after the first or second attack. This is useful for mindgaming to other attacks.
6/10

Dash Attack - This attack is decent, but not amazing or of any particular use. It's alright, but why approach with this when there are better options. The knockback and damage aren't great, but the speed is alright, so it's not completely useless.
5/10

Forward Tilt - Ike sits around for like half an hour and pretends like he's not gonna attack when SUDDENLY he unleashes a moderate range horizontal attack. For some reason this move is about as slow as his F-smash, and it has decent damage, moderate knockback, and better trajectory than F-smash (it sends more out than up, like most other moves do).
4/10

Forward Smash - Probably Ike's slowest attack, but good nonetheless! Ike charges up for a while before slamming the ground in front of him Due to lack of wavedashing/dashdancing, people often find themselves approaching you by simply jumping at you and throwing out an aerial. A well placed F-smash will easily reverse the direction of their face to turn the match in your favor.
7/10

Down Tilt - Ike slashes the ground in front of him, Marth-style, except about 2x as slow. It does decent damage, about 15%, but recovers relatively quickly. The knockback is minimal, it's more a damage builder.
5/10

Down Smash - One of Ike's fastest attacks. Ike slashes both sides of him on the ground, similar to Marth, does so as fast as Marth does, and does it with twice the knockback and damage! It is quite deceptively quick, great for when people run to approach.
8/10

Up Tilt - Oh man this attack is so good. Ike puts his sword above his head, and does a bunny hop up to catch people (and can even juggle some characters a couple times). Has really low start-up and ending lags. This move is the Bread ‘n Butter of the GRAND VIPER (more to come). This move straight up rocks. Use it. Love it.
10/10

Up Smash - This move is also great, particularly so with platforms. Picture Link's old U-tilt, except with twice the range, damage, and knockback, with about twice the start-up time. Nevertheless, it owns. Hard. It's quite great for tech chasing, notably on platforms.
9/10

Now on to the aerials! Exciting!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neutral Air - Ike does a slash downward, similarly looking to Marth's down-air. The knockback isn't great, but the priority and hitbox are quite good. The damage is also decent. Can be used for mindgaming opponent approaoches and covering your butt when you approach for 360 spacing.
7/10

Forward Air - BAM BAM BAM BAM ****. After like a second+ of startup, he unleashes a slash so deadly that women and children are recommended to stay at home for this attack. Awesome damage, great knockback, excellent priority.
9/10

Back Air - Holy crap this is Ike's best attack. It is amazing. Ike slashes behind him, very far behind him. There is nearly 0 startup lag. The knockback and damage are both great. This move destroys families. I cannot write anymore about this, use it ALL THE TIME.
11/10!

Down Air - A great downward attack. Ike takes his sword and thrusts it about 18 feet downward. The startup time is pretty slow, but the priority is where you need this move most, and it delivers. Beats out pretty much everything from below, and the knockback and damage are decent.
8/10

Up Air - What a neat move! Ike (again) has quite a deal of start-up delay, but then uses his sword like a helicopter propellor over his head. Great for killing at under 100%. What a good move! Great priority too, so it's great for almost any time when people are well over your head and want to send them to their doom (this happens a lot).
7/10

Ike can throw things too!

Mid-throw attack - A regular old jab to the face. Always a good show, but the effectiveness is up to you. The amount you can hit them based on their percentage seems about equally proportional to that in Melee thus far, but still being tested.
5/10

Forward Throw - I didn't use this too much, but it seems to have a decent amount of potential. It seems to throw them not too far in front, so there is perhaps potential for chaingrabbing or comboing. To be tested further.

Back Throw - I know little to nothing about this move as of yet. I used it maybe once or twice and the trajectory didn't seem to be too special, but who knows. To be tested further.

Down Throw - I had hoped this move would have great potential. Ike throws his target to the ground, and slashes them in the brain with his sword, sending them upwards. I tried all day to get combos off of it, but the only place I was successful were heavy characters at almost no percentage. Not so great, but not terrible if you want to keep your opponent in the air.
5/10

Up Throw - Ike grabs the opponent by the neck, throws down his sword, and punches the unlucky victim in the face, sending him skyrocketing. I don't know yet if it sends higher than down throw, but it's not terrible altogether. Not amazing, however.
5/10

B attacks woooooo

Neutral B – Super armor! This move is ****, but the timing must be precise for it to work out. Ike throws his sword up and when you let go of B he thrusts it into the ground for big damage/knockback. The hitbox is a bit smaller than you feel it should be, but if you can tech chase it or surprise your opponent with it, the win in priority is guaranteed. The super armor allows this move to be an effective edgeguard, but as edgeguarding isn't so big a deal in Brawl, it's not super amazing.
7/10

Forward B - I don't know where to start with how good this move is! In addition to using this for recovery, it's a great mindgame, and even a decent combo starter (I'll get into that later). Ike pauses for a second, then rips through (space animal style) decent distance. It takes getting used to when you recover, but overall it's a great move. Additionally, the longer you charge it, the farther it goes. Mostly this is used for recovery, but it can be used for mingrames and the like.
9/10

Up B - Ike throws his sword up in the air, hitting anyone who's in the vicinity and holding them in hitstun. Ike soon afterwards teleports up to his sword and slashes down, Kirby-style. It does not go an incredible distance, but it's a decent attack.
8/10

Down B - Roy counter. It's pretty sweet. More usage than in Melee since much more limited approach options for most characters. Some people like it more than others, you decide how much you use it.
8/10

FINAL SMASH

So everybody has a final smash, and Ike is no different....
After acquiring the smash ball (and pressing B), Ike throws out his sword in front of him (not too far in front), but also throws it a bit up. After contact (which can be made with more than one person if you're into that), Ike takes them up to near the top of the screen and slashes them about a bajillion times, after which he sends them down to the ground and smashes their faces in, hurling his target(s) upwards, usually to their doom. Not a guaranteed kill until about 50% (before being slashed up) for most characters, but not such a bad final smash.

IKE STRATEGY!

Ike's totally awesome. Allow me to teach a few things about how to own everybody with him.

First and foremost, presenting:
The GRAND VIPER! It worked in Guilty Gear, and now it's here in Smash Bros to **** just the same! Use Forward B to approach and then follow it up with an Up tilt. The approach is extremely quick, and the Up tilt follows up almost immediately, leaving the opponent dumbfounded as to how owned he has just been. It's so good you won't even know what to do afterwards! But here are some ideas of what you can:

1. Follow up with U-Air, F-air or B-air. They're all solid chases and if they're at 70+% on hit from any of these could very well kill.
2. If they ever whiff attacks or stand around, feel free to unleash another GRAND VIPER on them. Who could see such a **** combo hitting them twice in 5 seconds? Not many people.

EDIT - EXPLANATION OF THE GRAND VIPER:
Allow me to elaborate further on the GRAND VIPER approach/combo and how it works. The forward-B is designed to whiff, a mere mindgame as Ike's speed is deceptive. The Up-tilt (or grab if you prefer it, although imo uptilt is more effective) is a follow-up to the missed forward-B, catching your opponent off guard. Ideally you should switch between the two follow-up attacks to ensure 100% victory. Up-tilt is effective, even if they shield it, because you can follow-up with a pressure/lockdown game by chasing with a forward air or whatever you prefer to keep them guessing. If the forward-B hits, you don't have to worry about follow up, they're already in the air.

Secondary strategies/approaches:
1. Back air. ALL DAY. It's really really good. It kills people. It DOMINATES. I don't know what else to write. This move rocks. It's seriously a strategy by itself.
2. A large part of Ike’s game is based on timing/spacing. It takes a while to get them both down pat, but trust that in time you’ll get it, and you’ll feel the power of Ike.
3. Turtling is surprisingly effective with Ike. It is personally not my cup of tea, but mindgames -> pivot smashes and baiting can be big parts of his game if that’s how you want to play him.
4. Ike is the (top tier) Ganondorf of Brawl. His game is based highly on spacing and mindgames/tech chasing. Most of his aerials knock your opponent far enough back that they cannot shield grab you, and have tremendous power/fear factor.

In Conclusion:

Gimpyfish was right. Ike is slow. But that does not mean he is bad. In fact, it is quite the opposite! Ike is absolutely amazing! If you wanted to try him but were afraid he would suck (I know I was), fret no more! Ike is here to save the day!

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Great post, thanks for the info.

I have a couple of questions. I've heard that Ike's standard AAA combo has some Super Armor on it, can you confirm or deconfirm? BTW, if I were you I'd start implementing Ike's A combo into your game as I've heard it's great from a lot of people, comes out fast and does good damage. :)

Does Ike's air Back + A hit behind him or on both sides? That's what it looks like in videos, like he swings it around his body.

Purgatory

Smash Rookie
Thanks foor the information and cant wait for his grabs. This will be great for creating combos. And with the new RAR technique, his Bair will be pt in great use!

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Oh yeah, another question. Does Ike's Counter work on projectiles? Back in the earlier builds it reflected them back but they did no damage. If it did send projectiles back at them and hit...that'd be awesome.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well these boys got pretty much the same Q as i got

anyways i found this very interesting and the GRAND VIPER TO AETHER? but if u could post some vidz of ur gameplay id love to ACTUALLY SEE some STRATEGY with ike

great job the way

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
imo you need to rework your rating system, since like 90% of your attacks are in the 8-10 zone, but

also bair hits on both sides, but just barely.
upB has a little bit more attack value than i think you gave it credit for. it is occasionally useful for hitting people far above you, since it does have a lot of vertical range and in brawl it's really hard to move vertically quickly and attack at the same time, plus its startup where he throws the sword and movement are pretty quick.

GRAND VIPER is a crazy approach!
it totally just about eliminates the big problem of getting to people with ike, since beforehands ike would have a big problem both getting up to people(slow) and THEN pulling out an attack(lol), but now you've got a fast zip-in to uptilt to combo GRAND VIPER!!
No need to think about trying it out,
i love using GRAND VIPER

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
12th post! Seriously, I appreciate the feedback about this guy. I noticed that a lot of people are still having problems with the new slow powerhouse of the game so this should help quite a lot of people.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Throws generally knock too far to combo, and if they're not too far away to combo, then they're not at high enough percent to kill(even for ike).
Grand Viper to eruption maybe, because of the super armor, but uptilt comboes into airs, even at percents high enough to kill with an aerial. I'm pretty sure you can't combo into anything after eruption.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
This guide is great. Bearsarescary is dead on about Ike this is exactly how he plays. I am gonna try this Grand Viper today. BACK AIR is the new MIND GAMES.

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
That was actually a pretty slick guide. : ) Good coverage + Great wording ftw. Half of playing Ike is in the style. ; )

Miller

Smash Lord
Its a good guide and all but how can you say its "Pro"? Thats a little to much dont you think. The title is very misleading.

GenG

Smash Lord
I predicted that Bair would turn into a great surprise move. This guide is rapetastic.

Miller

Smash Lord
Ohh One more thing, You should mention that you cant hit with Ikes Forward B for the Combo to work, you have to land before them, then Up Tilt.

Also Up Tilt is extremely impractical, its range is to short, even if Up Smash is slower, it'll get the job done. Aether works extremely well as you can also follow up after Aether. Theres also D Smash that you could use, it comes out extremely quick. One problem about D Smash is that the Ending Lag Time is slow and you might not beable to follow up and it could be punishable.

A good combo for that is Get close with Forward B, Down Tilt, then either F Tilt or Forward B again into a F Air

Ice_Dragon

Smash Cadet
Fantastic. I can't wait to try out the Viper, but are you sure your ratings? There are very few attacks rated under 8/10.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
I agree. You may want to rework your grading system, but I still like the guide. And Bair really does deserve a 11, but make it a 10.

Miller

Smash Lord
Btw the Combo, Doesnt work in REAL COMBAT. If your opponent stands there like a moron, then maybe it would work. Do not attempt this combo outside of training mode, seriously.

This guide sucks

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
it works fine, especially on the retreat.
you can't just up and approach with it straight up, please incorporate mindgames into your play, Miller

Miller

Smash Lord
Trust me, I have, Ive been playing this game for 20 hours straight, I can mindgame. I just tried it on my friend that just picked up the controller and he knows how to move around the stage, its all you need to not get hit by it.

And how are mindgames supposed to make the person stand still? Tell me that.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Mindgame the other guy into missing an attack. No L-Cancel = massive lag = GRAND VIPER to aerial combo. If you've actually been playing for 20 hours, you'd know how much of an opportunity you have after someone lands doing an aerial. Grand Viper gets Ike up close and leads to easy combos.

Great guide, good to know Ike's still got some tricks up his sleeve.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Trust me, I have, Ive been playing this game for 20 hours straight, I can mindgame. I just tried it on my friend that just picked up the controller and he knows how to move around the stage, its all you need to not get hit by it.

And how are mindgames supposed to make the person stand still? Tell me that.
20 hours are not enough time to develop real mindgames. You dont mindgame someone into standing still, if you want that, unplug their controller. Mindgames are reading your opponent, knowing what they are going to do and forcing them to do what you want. For slow characters like Ike, that is their *entire* game. Simple techniques like this cannot be overlooked, with the proper setup they are great. I have personally tried this out and it definitely does work out when used properly (much like anything else).

Seriously you cant just throw crap out and expect people to freak out and sit there. If you have been playing Ike 20 hrs, you should know that. The Grand Viper is very useful.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dude, thank you for making this guide. I'm going to take Ike as a secondary, so I appreciate the help.

I wonder when we will figure out Ike's super armor frames. And is his grab range good like seen on the Dojo?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
You shouldn't call this a guide to pro Ike play when the metagame isn't even established yet. It's hard to appreciate your work when I don't have the game, but It's an interesting read, and I'll try the stuff you mentioned when I get the chance.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Yeah, as while Jab is next to useless, A combo isn't up there and its a WONDERFUL spacing tool.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
MAN I love this thread, lol. Haha, it'd be awesome if Ike's "Grand Viper" was more related to something from Slayer, XDDD, but ah well. This is some really good info for me to dwell on, and I can't wait to play him. Have you played against anyone with Ike yet? Namely Falco, lol.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
falco plays a lot different than he did in SSBM, so we(bears are scary and I) haven't played any good falcoes since none have adapted to brawl yet. They all try to play like SSBM falco and just flop.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Who really doesn't play different though? Lol. I'm sure some might play a little similar, but I know if Falco was like, directly brought over from Melee...man, that'd suck. There is that Keitaro dude or whatever from TSA I think? Either way, he was doin' pretty rockin'.

Also...as for Ike's fair. If you do it late enough to cancel the animation, does the attack still connect? Or is there a specific time you can land and the lag will be reduced a bit? I know there's no l-canceling, but I'm more than sure I've seen variations of him being able to recover from it. I'm just worried that if you can end the animation quicker, if the attack actually connects or not.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
my GRAND VIPER variation
the GRAND RAGNAROK
AA>R>QUICKDRAW>UTILT>AETHER

0%>53%
might be able to sneak in a uair after utilt

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
New little tidbit from dmbrandon:

Jab Fakes:
Most characters can do this. We know the spacies can't. How it works:
Jab once of twice, and during the last few frames of the second jab, you can shield quickly (Press the button, the shield shouldn't appear) and break it into either another jab, tilt, smash, jump, grab or roll. People like Ike, and DeDeDe use this to it's maximum potential.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
New little tidbit from Noir:

Jab Fakes:
Most characters can do this. We know the spacies can't. How it works:
Jab once of twice, and during the last few frames of the second jab, you can shield quickly (Press the button, the shield shouldn't appear) and break it into either another jab, tilt, smash, jump, grab or roll. People like Ike, and DeDeDe use this to it's maximum potential.
I think that actually game from a group of other dudes(?), but what does it matter? It would've gotten' out sooner or later either way from someone. All I have to say is that it's got some majorly sexy potential.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I think that actually game from a group of other dudes(?), but what does it matter? It would've gotten' out sooner or later either way from someone. All I have to say is that it's got some majorly sexy potential.
It did, I edited the post and put the correct person down.

Top Bottom