• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Effective Samus Techniques

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
A while ago I read a thread in the Captain Falcon forum a post by g-reg. In it he included simple, effective techniques to improve your captain falcon game (knee combos).

I am not a g-reg equivalent to Samus, so I cannot provide such a thread. What I would like is for Samus players to contribute their favorite, effective techniques to this thread. The simpler/cheaper the technique, the better. A good example of what I want was in a fox matchup thread where HugS mentioned that you can WD downsmash a fox if they upsmash your shield.

Also, don't be afraid to post if you feel that something is common sense. The purpose of this thread is to collect all effective techniques, not just flashy or "brand new" ones. If enough people post in this, I'll organize the data so it's easy to read (rather than searching through all the replies)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like to SWD and bomb my opponents shield just to wear it out..easiest way for me to get on their shield with bombs.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
My favorite is when I get knocked into the air, once or twice I'll come down on my opponent with a meteor. But since I know the third time around they'll be waiting for it, I FF down on them and then swerve left or right and BAIR.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
When up Bing out of shield to counter shield pressure (As you ALL should be doing!), it is ideal to consider the appropriate of the following options when trying to land afterwards:

1. Land on a ledge you can hang on
2. Switch between landing above/below a platform
3. Wait till your opponent is done being hit before you DI into a direction. So that you can land as far from him/her as possible.
4. Land on the edge of a platform to cancel all up B lag and possibly keep an opponent in the air.

If that isn't simple enough...

Samus can down tilt falcon's shield and NOT be kneed afterwards. As opposed to dsmashing/fsmashing falcon's shield.

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
after a missle cancel, shooting a stationary missle works well for mixing up what you do after a missle cancel. wavedashing off a platform, then missle cancelling or shooting a charged shot works pretty well.

Rileyzor

Smash Cadet
I like the windmill of fury, I dont have a link to it but its actually effective.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I like to kick and punch, sometimes even tackle. That'sd just me though.

Seriously:
I would say to not forget about the trusty bombs. You can do a lot of mind games with those things. Bouncing on them to MC or using them as a small wall or something. If someone steps in one... PUNISHED!!!

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I rack up enough damage on my opponent, I always keep my beam fully charged and whenever I land a grab, I down throw and then tag them with the charge shot. It's a great KO.

When I'm trying to rack up damage with a grab, I just down throw, and then up tilt, which is a good set up for more juggling.

A good set up that I use for grabbing is to wait for an opponent to move towards me on their feet, and then drop a bomb and stay close to it, keeping it between me and the opponent. Usually they'll stop and wait for it to explode before advancing, or they'll stop to use a projectile, giving you the perfect opportunity to grab. Also, if they don't stop and instead try to jump over it, be ready with a Nair or Uair into a smash missile.

With very aggressive characters, I like to crouch, waiting to land the down tilt, which knocks them up enough to quickly jump up into a Uair, which gives perfect knockback (at most percentages of damage) to tag them with a smash missile before they even land, and the missile usually works as a lag cancel too.

These are just off the top of my head, I hope this is useful.

Another easy combo is simply to have your beam fully charged and then fire a smash missile and then immediately fire the charge shot. This usually works out for me in two different ways. Either they shield the missile and then release it quickly to move, not having time to shield again before the charge shot hits them, OR the missile connects knocking them back (off the ledge is great) and then the charge shot comes in and KO's them before they have a chance to regain control after the first hit. You have to mess with your timing with this move depending on whether or not you're trying the first way or the second way.

Here's a kinda cool one. When I knock someone off the stage but I know they're going to recover, I'll wait near the ledge (usually works best on an opponent who is coming in from underneath), and then run off the ledge, quickly drop a bomb, and then DI back into the stage without using a jump. Immediately start charging a down smash A, so by the time the bomb connects, it sets them up in the air right in front of the ledge ready to eat your down smash A.

Here's a completely useless move that I figured out. I simply came up with it just to be a total ******* to my opponents. With a fully charged beam shot ready to roll, I wavedash backwards off a ledge to keep my opponent from being able to grab it, but instead of simply watching them fall to their death, or worse get screwed by a good up B like Marth's, Link's, etc., I push down to drop, then immediately jump, quickly tilt away from the stage toward my opponent and release the stick, and then fire the charge shot for the KO, which also knocks you back enough so that you land on the stage. At first you might not do it with the right timing and the charge shot won't fire fast enough to knock you back onto the stage, so you'll just have to be ready with an up B to land you back on the stage. If you do have to use your up B, use it as fast as possible because if you take too long you'll end up facing the wrong way and not grabbing the ledge. Gotta do it early enough to actually land on the stage. After you get the timing down though, you'll be able to use the charge shot to knock you back onto the stage and not have to worry about the up B. Again, this is completely pointless, but it looks awesome and it's a great way to be a total ******* and piss off your friends.

I just joined this board so I don't know if this is all common knowledge or not, but I came up with it all on my own (knowing very well that every other Samus player most likely uses these techniques, or uses better ones), and I'd like to know what you guys think. Practical, effective, better for 1v1 or free for all, doesn't work on certain characters, etc.?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Whenever I rack up enough damage on my opponent, I always keep my beam fully charged and whenever I land a grab, I down throw and then tag them with the charge shot. It's a great KO.
Down throw to charge shot doesn't really work if they DI right..only on a few people at certain percents. They can usually airdodge before being hit by the charge shot.

When I'm trying to rack up damage with a grab, I just down throw, and then up tilt, which is a good set up for more juggling.
This won't work either for the most part. Maybe on a non-DIing fox/falco? But for the most part..no. And even if it does hit the uptilt will send them forward.

And samus shouldn't grab that much anyways...

A good set up that I use for grabbing is to wait for an opponent to move towards me on their feet, and then drop a bomb and stay close to it, keeping it between me and the opponent. Usually they'll stop and wait for it to explode before advancing, or they'll stop to use a projectile, giving you the perfect opportunity to grab. Also, if they don't stop and instead try to jump over it, be ready with a Nair or Uair into a smash missile.
This really depends on the character. Most will back away for a second or dashdance/fox trot. Falcon will just stomp you or give you the knee when you come out of the ball. It's not like you can nair immediatly..there is lag from the bomb...

With very aggressive characters, I like to crouch, waiting to land the down tilt, which knocks them up enough to quickly jump up into a Uair, which gives perfect knockback (at most percentages of damage) to tag them with a smash missile before they even land, and the missile usually works as a lag cancel too.
This for the most part..works. Dsmash works as well if the end up behind you. CC is great.

Another easy combo is simply to have your beam fully charged and then fire a smash missile and then immediately fire the charge shot. This usually works out for me in two different ways. Either they shield the missile and then release it quickly to move, not having time to shield again before the charge shot hits them, OR the missile connects knocking them back (off the ledge is great) and then the charge shot comes in and KO's them before they have a chance to regain control after the first hit. You have to mess with your timing with this move depending on whether or not you're trying the first way or the second way.
They will just jump over these and this is not a good idea....It is a very basic newby stratagy and should not be used.

Here's a kinda cool one. When I knock someone off the stage but I know they're going to recover, I'll wait near the ledge (usually works best on an opponent who is coming in from underneath), and then run off the ledge, quickly drop a bomb, and then DI back into the stage without using a jump. Immediately start charging a down smash A, so by the time the bomb connects, it sets them up in the air right in front of the ledge ready to eat your down smash A.
This is wrong in all sorts of ways. Why not just up tilt them? And if they run into the bomb they will not be sent upwards into your dsmash which you shouldn't even be charging in the first place since Fsmash is a better edgeguarding move. The bomb stops their movement and they will fall downwards.

Here's a completely useless move that I figured out. I simply came up with it just to be a total ******* to my opponents. With a fully charged beam shot ready to roll, I wavedash backwards off a ledge to keep my opponent from being able to grab it, but instead of simply watching them fall to their death, or worse get screwed by a good up B like Marth's, Link's, etc., I push down to drop, then immediately jump, quickly tilt away from the stage toward my opponent and release the stick, and then fire the charge shot for the KO, which also knocks you back enough so that you land on the stage. At first you might not do it with the right timing and the charge shot won't fire fast enough to knock you back onto the stage, so you'll just have to be ready with an up B to land you back on the stage. If you do have to use your up B, use it as fast as possible because if you take too long you'll end up facing the wrong way and not grabbing the ledge. Gotta do it early enough to actually land on the stage. After you get the timing down though, you'll be able to use the charge shot to knock you back onto the stage and not have to worry about the up B. Again, this is completely pointless, but it looks awesome and it's a great way to be a total ******* and piss off your friends.
Please never do this. It won't work.

I just joined this board so I don't know if this is all common knowledge or not, but I came up with it all on my own (knowing very well that every other Samus player most likely uses these techniques, or uses better ones), and I'd like to know what you guys think. Practical, effective, better for 1v1 or free for all, doesn't work on certain characters, etc.?
I can tell you just joined and good job on trying to be helpful but sorry most of your advice was bad...I reccomend reading some more topics/guides on here.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
This is good. I'm glad to I provoked a little discussion and this didn't just get dismissed.

Hugs you seem to be loaded with pearls of wisdom. Thanks for sharing tips on upB and captain falcon. If you don't mind could you perhaps give us some more character specific tips? Preferably against the higher tier characters.

Hylian swd to bomb on a shield is pretty difficult but I'm assuming your can do this consistently? Back when phanna was [more] swd crazy he used to do this as an approach. How do you feel about it's punishability?

JettyThatSamus are you able to sweetspot the bair?

I'm going to let people contribute to this thread more before I compile the list of moves. After the list is created I think we should revise it. Perhaps some of the more advanced Samus players would be able to evaluate the moves? I'm talking HugS, Watty and Wes, if they are interested.

They are the Samus players with the most success, so I think their opinions have the most weight in regards to effectiveness of moves.

Anway I need to get back to work.

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
I like to wavedash jabs and fsmashes/dsmashes out of shield. Works really good for me. I think HugS already said the dsmash out of shield on foxes but oh well.

Sometimes for edgegaurding a marth I'll run off the stage and missle while hes trying to get close. Either that or sex them on their way back.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
To Rohins.

Yes I can do this consistantly. I can SWD almost 100% the first and second time...and I can control it well meaning I know how long or far to hold the control stick to shorten the length.

It is punishable if you do it to much... They can just jump and hit you which is why I suggest you Follow a MC when you do this. Or you can do after doing an attack..really you just have to know the person you are playing and how they will react to it. Unless you are falco I wouldn't reccomend using repatative approachs. My personal Favorite approach is Double missling when the match starts then SWD'ing after one of your missles to do whatever. If done at the very begining of the match it can intimidate your opponent to thinking..wow..this guy is technical. Then they will be trying to catch you making mistakes the whole match when you can play smartly and not SWD that much but just out think them and every time they start catching on to what you are doing..technicality again :).

Top Bottom