• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EDIT: Actual '48 character' translation inside.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Where is this from? The paper just looks like some fanboy wrote it on Word and printed it onto normal paper.

GnooroopoftheGerudo

Smash Rookie
What I don't get is why a newspaper got a copy of the game early to review it. I could see if it was a gaming magazine or something, but why a newspaper? Or is it common for that to happen in Japan?
I'm no expert, but I can't imagine. This just leads further credance to the possibility of it being a forged article.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Its certainly not from a newspaper. Japanese newspapers tend to be darker, have smaller font, and are written vertically.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I would be more than happy with that roster number even with clones.
I'd be unhappy with it. My fear of Ganondorf getting clone treatment again might be realized, and clones might cut out spots for characters like Claus or K. Rool or Lucario, depending on the number of clones.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Already Confirmed:
1. Mario
2. Bowser
3. Peach
4. Yoshi
5. Wario
6. Zelda/Sheik
7. Link
8. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
9. Donkey Kong
10. Diddy Kong
11. Lucas
12. Pikachu
13. Pokemon Trainer
14. Pikmin & Olimar
15. Kirby
16. King Dedede
17. Meta Knight
18. Ice Climbers
19. Pit
20. Ike
21. Snake
22. Sonic
23. Fox

Returning Veterans:
24. Captain Falcon
25. Luigi
26. Ganondorf (New Moveset)
27. Jigglypuff
28. Falco (Clone of Fox)
29. Marth
30. Mewtwo
31. Mr. Game & Watch
32. Young Link (Clone of Link AND is based on Wind Waker)
33. Ness (Lucas is the Clone)
34. Dr. Mario (Clone of Mario, of course. Only Wario is special!)

Shoe-in Newcomers with original movesets:
35. Krystal
36. Ridley
37. Takamaru

Likely Newcomers with original movesets:
38. Geno
39. King K. Rool
40. Sukapon
41. Isaac
42. Vaati (Young Link needs a Villian)
43. Lucario (Actually a partial clone of Mewtwo)

Likely Newcomer Clones:
44. Wolf (Clone of Fox)
45. Black Shadow (AKA Melee Ganondorf)
46. Baby Bowser (Clone of Bowser, Chosen over Bowser Jr to give Yoshi another character from HIS series)
47. Felix (Clone of Isaac)

48. Some WTF?! Character that will put Pokemon Trainer and Pikmin & Olimar to shame, possibly Dr. Lobe!

48 characters
23 secret characters
40 characters with original movesets
8 characters with clone movesets
6 fighters from the Super Mario series (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Geno, Dr Mario)
5 fighters from the Legend of Zelda (Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Vaati)
5 fighters from the Pokemon Series (Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario)
4 fighters from the Starfox Series (Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf)
3 fighters from the Kirby Series (Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede)
3 fighters from the Donkey Kong Country Series (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool)
2 fighters from the Yoshi Series (Yoshi, Baby Bowser)
2 fighters from the Metroid Series (Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Ridley)
2 fighters from the MOTHER Series (Lucas, Ness)
2 fighters from the F-ZERO Series (Captain Falcon, Black Shadow)
2 fighters from the Fire Emblem Series (Ike, Marth)
2 fighters from the Golden Sun Series (Isaac, Felix)
1 fighter from the Game & Watch Series (Mr. Game & Watch)
1 fighter from Ice Climber (Ice Climbers)
1 fighter from the Kid Icarus Series (Pit)
1 fighter from the Pikmin Series (Pikmin & Olimar)
1 fighter from Nazo no Murasamejou (Takamaru)
1 fighter from Joy Mech Fight (Sukapon)
1 fighter from the Metal Gear Series (Snake)
1 fighter from the Sonic the Hedgehog Series (Sonic)
1 fighter from a game I can't predict

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Stop making lists in this thread. If you want to predict rosters, there are plenty of threads to do so, but not this one.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Already Confirmed:
1. Mario
2. Bowser
3. Peach
4. Yoshi
5. Wario
6. Zelda/Sheik
7. Link
8. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
9. Donkey Kong
10. Diddy Kong
11. Lucas
12. Pikachu
13. Pokemon Trainer
14. Pikmin & Olimar
15. Kirby
16. King Dedede
17. Meta Knight
18. Ice Climbers
19. Pit
20. Ike
21. Snake
22. Sonic
23. Fox

Returning Veterans:
24. Captain Falcon
25. Luigi
26. Ganondorf (New Moveset)
27. Jigglypuff
28. Falco (Clone of Fox)
29. Marth
30. Mewtwo
31. Mr. Game & Watch
32. Young Link (Clone of Link AND is based on Wind Waker)
33. Ness (Lucas is the Clone)
34. Dr. Mario (Clone of Mario, of course. Only Wario is special!)

Shoe-in Newcomers with original movesets:
35. Krystal
36. Ridley
37. Takamaru

Likely Newcomers with original movesets:
38. Geno
39. King K. Rool
40. Sukapon
41. Isaac
42. Vaati (Young Link needs a Villian)
43. Lucario (Actually a partial clone of Mewtwo)

Likely Newcomer Clones:
44. Wolf (Clone of Fox)
45. Black Shadow (AKA Melee Ganondorf)
46. Baby Bowser (Clone of Bowser, Chosen over Bowser Jr to give Yoshi another character from HIS series)
47. Felix (Clone of Isaac)

48. Some WTF?! Character that will put Pokemon Trainer and Pikmin & Olimar to shame, possibly Dr. Lobe!

48 characters
23 secret characters
40 characters with original movesets
8 characters with clone movesets
6 fighters from the Super Mario series (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Geno, Dr Mario)
5 fighters from the Legend of Zelda (Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Vaati)
5 fighters from the Pokemon Series (Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario)
4 fighters from the Starfox Series (Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf)
3 fighters from the Kirby Series (Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede)
3 fighters from the Donkey Kong Country Series (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool)
2 fighters from the Yoshi Series (Yoshi, Baby Bowser)
2 fighters from the Metroid Series (Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Ridley)
2 fighters from the MOTHER Series (Lucas, Ness)
2 fighters from the F-ZERO Series (Captain Falcon, Black Shadow)
2 fighters from the Fire Emblem Series (Ike, Marth)
2 fighters from the Golden Sun Series (Isaac, Felix)
1 fighter from the Game & Watch Series (Mr. Game & Watch)
1 fighter from Ice Climber (Ice Climbers)
1 fighter from the Kid Icarus Series (Pit)
1 fighter from the Pikmin Series (Pikmin & Olimar)
1 fighter from Nazo no Murasamejou (Takamaru)
1 fighter from Joy Mech Fight (Sukapon)
1 fighter from the Metal Gear Series (Snake)
1 fighter from the Sonic the Hedgehog Series (Sonic)
1 fighter from a game I can't predict

I agree with this list and assessment, but I think it's impossible that WW Link would be a clone of TP Link, theyre very, very different.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Seriously, the official term for "clone" is in fact Model Change, used by Sakurai himself. On the Melee site, the clone characters were referred to as Model Change characters.

Either way, havent we pretty much agreed that this article is likely fake or at least unconfirmed? Unless I missed some huge development over the past few hours...

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
I hope this newspaper article is real. 48 characters are awesome though clones are not. Here's hoping theres 5 at the MOST. Anymore is just wasting valuble spots for other more deserving characters. Heres also hoping said "clones" aren't reterning ones. Sorry but I just like to see new faces is all, and anyway it's just an opinion.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I hope this newspaper article is real. 48 characters are awesome though clones are not. Here's hoping theres 5 at the MOST. Anymore is just wasting valuble spots for other more deserving characters. Heres also hoping said "clones" aren't reterning ones. Sorry but I just like to see new faces is all, and anyway it's just an opinion.
Too bad the article isn't real, andf we will most likely be getting a roster in the mid-30's.

Kiri

Smash Cadet
Too bad the article isn't real, andf we will most likely be getting a roster in the mid-30's.
Well, real or not, someone took the time to write it all out. So fake or not, i did my best to translate it! If it turns out to be real, you know I gave you all the right information at the time. :3

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I agree with this list and assessment, but I think it's impossible that WW Link would be a clone of TP Link, theyre very, very different.
Link has Boomerang, so does Toon Link.
Link has the Bow, so does Toon Link.
Link has the Spin Attack, so does Toon Link.
Link has the Bomb, so does Toon Link.
Link has the Clawshot, and Toon Link has the Hookshot.

Heck, in my mind there are degrees of clone-ness, where Toon Link and Baby Bowser share Special Attacks with Link and Bowser and that's pretty much it. Dr. Mario is on the short end of the Originality Pool, as usual, and Luigi & Lucario, in my mind, only share two Specials with Mario & Mewtwo respectfully. Every other clone is pretty much middle of the road, with Lucas to Ness being the relative average. Also, I meant to post the list in a different topic, but just ran with it, since I felt it answered a concern.

Boofer

Smash Ace
It annoys me that so many people got hyped for 48 characters, but we're most likely going to get 35...With mostly returning characters too....****, that's really disappointing.

Either the mods should close the thread, or people should just stop ignoring the people with a lick of sense in this thread. After my post, people will continue to argue in vain, thinking we're getting 15 more newcomers when we'll see something like 3. DON'T SAY WE DIDN'T TELL YOU SO IF THERE ARE ONLY 35.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I like how everyone just assumes that there will "most likely" be 35 characters. Remember when there would "most likely" be 15 characters in Melee, except that there ended up being 26....

ChronoBound
This review is a fake, this topic explains why it is:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=40887967
How does that prove or disprove anything? That guy's proof is just that the layout of the paper is wrong? How do I know if that's true or not? If I start a topic and say that the newspaper has the right layout, will the prove that it's true? Just the fact that it was posted on gamefaqs should automatically prove it's wrong. When has anything remotely intelligent ever been posted on gamefaqs? Let gamefaqs worry about their 200 fake roster leaks a day, and we'll worry about this.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I like how everyone just assumes that there will "most likely" be 35 characters. Remember when there would "most likely" be 15 characters in Melee, except that there ended up being 26....

How does that prove or disprove anything? That guy's proof is just that the layout of the paper is wrong? How do I know if that's true or not? If I start a topic and say that the newspaper has the right layout, will the prove that it's true? Just the fact that it was posted on gamefaqs should automatically prove it's wrong. When has anything remotely intelligent ever been posted on gamefaqs? Let gamefaqs worry about their 200 fake roster leaks a day, and we'll worry about this.
*facepalm

This review CAME from GameFAQs. The last paragraph of it is literally a copy-and-paste of a paragraph from the Japanese Brawl Wikipedia page.

lazychi

Smash Cadet
even though it might be fake

thanks Kiri, you took time out of your day to translate this

also only a little over a week left before japan gets brawl, cant wait to see the REAL number and which clones may or may not appear

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We don't know if it's fake yet. It doesn't automatically become fake because some clown on gamefaqs thinks it is.
Ugh, did you even read the link? So if I posted a roster with 48 characters on GameFAQs, and it was in Japanese, it would be automatically true since it was Japanese. That is the logic that you are showing by believing this fake review. I myself would want a 40+ character roster, however, signs show that is not going to happen. Also, this review in particular was written up by some clown on GameFAQs, yet you are all feeding into his hands by believing his lie. When the real roster does get leaked, I bet a bunch of the gullible fools who take this review as reality will instantly call it fake since it does not have 48 characters.

Matt Silver

Smash Journeyman
In a world where there is no Sakurai. Only Link...
Ugh, did you even read the link? So if I posted a roster with 48 characters on GameFAQs, and it was in Japanese, it would be automatically true since it was Japanese. That is the logic that you are showing by believing this fake review. I myself would want a 40+ character roster, however, signs show that is not going to happen. Also, this review in particular was written up by some clown on GameFAQs, yet you are all feeding into his hands by believing his lie. When the real roster does get leaked, I bet a bunch of the gullible fools who take this review as reality will instantly call it fake since it does not have 48 characters.
And we should all believe that? Don't be such a prick.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And we should all believe that? Don't be such a prick.
I am not being a prick, I am trying to tell you fact from fiction. The topic I linked to proves this review is a fake. There is a possibility that there might be 48 playable characters in Brawl, however, it is definitely not confirmed via this review, since it is FAKE. If you want to believe a fake review fine, however, don't be surprised if the actual roster is much less than what you were expecting.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I never said we should just believe this article is true because it's in Japanese. I specifically said that we don't know if it's fake or not in my last post. That guy on gamefaqs has no proof that it's fake. It's just some guy saying that he thinks it's fake. How does that prove that it's fake?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Watch the real roster have like 50 characters! :grin: Seriously though-I'm expecting 42 or 43 characters for a reason, though I'd be very pleased with more. Hell, 45 would impress me. With 14 companies confirmed to be working/contributing [only 14 confirmed, but I know the 14th is] on this game (Nintendo, HAL, Sora, "The Studio", *insert the guy who made EarthBound's name here=his comapny*, APE, Monster, Game Freak, the Pokémon Company, Konami, SEGA, Kojima Production Studios, the Sonic Team, and Cero [Ejji Enouma's Sheik and Ganondorf models, anyone?). But that's beside the point.

Point is, this was fake, but clones are sorta confirmed. Lucas is a Ness clone (though he's SUPER LUIGIFIED), even though Ness is as close to gone as you can get. But alas, who says we'll have more=??? Anyways, we got like 11 days to go? That's hardly a wait compared to the years we've been waiting for SSB3, lol! The final strech has been underway for quite a while, and it's almost over! :)

And ChronoBound is one of the most respected members of the SWF. He's sorta a Japanese translater for us (no offense), and knows a lot of this stuff (along with SP, of course). Give a valide point why it's real. It's one thing to dream of a 48 character roster (believe me, I'd donate half my liver to have that! :laugh:), but there are no facts backing this up other then it was in Japanese. A lot of us just were imagining for a second what a 48 character roster would be like. It'd be total MADNESS, but don't get your hopes up. 40 is still pretty large, if you think about it. >_<

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Sakuri said no clones... I think there will be no clones
Did Sakurai say no clones? Provide evidence. I have no idea where this idea originated.
Thanks Kiri, for making a coherent thread so that people don't have to wade through pages of garbage to find an accurate translation. Hehe... I never get a chance to translate anything...

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Yeah it is rather strange that we are 8 pages into the thread and not one person could tell us where the article came from and why that is a good source. Also, can someone confirm the age of this article? Is there a date on it somewhere? Because really, this could be from very early in the planning and therefor outdated.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah it is rather strange that we are 8 pages into the thread and not one person could tell us where the article came from and why that is a good source. Also, can someone confirm the age of this article? Is there a date on it somewhere? Because really, this could be from very early in the planning and therefor outdated.
Information about the FAKE article this topic is talking about can be found in the topic I linked to on the previous page of this topic.

I am simply angry how we have to endure another week of "prophets" and fake leaks. If the game had not been delayed, we would probably be learning the entire roster in a day or two.

conan2

Smash Rookie
Some rumour said, it would take 240h to play through subemissary with all characters. 5h per character seems believable~
anyway, the scan is clearly fake, but I hope for a right guess with the 48 characters.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one satisfied that Sakurai's pretty much matched the roster number of the original without resorting a single clone? My number is on 35 characters.

Kiri

Smash Cadet
Information about the FAKE article this topic is talking about can be found in the topic I linked to on the previous page of this topic.

I am simply angry how we have to endure another week of "prophets" and fake leaks. If the game had not been delayed, we would probably be learning the entire roster in a day or two.
Stop being so pissy, it's just a game after all.

Anyway, myself and a bunch of others will be providing info as soon as the game comes out. There is even a stickyed thread for it, so keep your eyes on that! :)

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it

Thanks, it looked very fake anyway. But yeah, even though I like finding out new things about Brawl, the prophets are messing up the fun for us.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Stop being so pissy, it's just a game after all.

Anyway, myself and a bunch of others will be providing info as soon as the game comes out. There is even a stickyed thread for it, so keep your eyes on that! :)
I am sorry, but it hurts my heart to see people being deceived by this. I actually think the entire roster will be leaked a couple of days prior to the official Japanese release due to Hong Kong.

Top Bottom