• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgehogers

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Edgehogs are good because they are cheep and they have a higher success rate then edgeguards.

Everyone wants to win so why not go for the safer method of keeping your opponent off the stage? Is it because you have something to prove? Well, I don't...so I will edgehog like a mad man. Atleast I'll never have to sit back and think, "I wonder if I would've won that match if I would've just edgehogged instead of trying to edgeguard every time. "

But that takes me back to one of my previous posts. I don't edgehog every time and there are times I use other means of KOing my opponents, but if you are on your last stock and I knock you off the stage, you better believe I'm going to edgehog.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Hah I aswell sometimes dont edgehog when I could, on purpose to go for a fancy kill, miss it and regret it later. I rarely do that though, edgehog ftw. Literally, for the win :)

Volrec

Smash Lord
I also hate it when the other person goes:

"I showmore skill and honor by giving them the fairest chance, so i stay on the edge and edgeguard"

"Honor and skill my black ***, just kill the thing"

Giggidax

Smash Ace
The air up there, i believe edgehogging is DEFINITELY not cheap. calling edgehogging cheap is like saying "HEY! stop trying to knock me off the stage!" edgehogging is part of the game and its part of keeping the opponent from getting back onto the stage, which is one of the main things in smash. personally i edgehog everytime i knock someone off. like i dont actually edgehog someone but ill get on the edge and measure the distance, if theyre able to get back then ill ledgehop bair

if someone calls u cheap for edgehogging then just tell them "hey! just because i grabbed onto the ledge doesnt mean u couldnt have gotten back to the stage.." and then thatll leave them thinking about it giving u time to run away. i hate edgehog complainers!

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
well the ppl saying it are being dumb.

Next time someone says, just look over calmly and say well then dont go for the edge : )

Assuming they say something along the lines(Dont edgehog me!! Edgehogging is cheating! Why do you edgehog its not fair!)

Just don't listen Edgehogging is too good
I think this is the best answer ive seen.

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
I edgehog all the time, especially when idiotic n00bs challenge me.

I wavedash backwards onto the ledge, and watch the classic look on the n00b's face. Edgeguarding is different, though. I like to play mindgames with the opponent and act like I'm gonna wavedash onto the ledge. Instead, when I'm using Falco, I SH the laser, preventing their movement, and edgehog then.

When it doesn't work, I simply drillspike.

And yes, edgehogging is a literal "FTW."

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman

I wavedash backwards onto the ledge, and watch the classic look on the n00b's face. Edgeguarding is different, though. I like to play mindgames with the opponent and act like I'm gonna wavedash onto the ledge. Instead, when I'm using Falco, I SH the laser, preventing their movement, and edgehog then.

When it doesn't work, I simply drillspike.

And yes, edgehogging is a literal "FTW."
Hehe, agreed entirely. I love to edgehog, simply because I know it will make my friends mad, thus throwing off their game. :chuckle:

Superstar

Smash Champion
Edgehogging works really well. Of course, I don't do it, mostly since my brother plays Pikachu, and he can recover great distances. Random backairs/neutral airs work so well. :)

Oh, shieldgrabbing is good. Its a technique. Anything in the game that's non-physical [ex, unplugging the controller] and isn't COMPLETELY overpowered [IC glitch] are allowed. Shieldgrabs can be stopped by not being too predictable with your shffles.

EDIT: In other words, don't go for the same approach, and space your attacks properly.

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
Edgehogging works really well. Of course, I don't do it, mostly since my brother plays Pikachu, and he can recover great distances. Random backairs/neutral airs work so well. :)

Oh, shieldgrabbing is good. Its a technique. Anything in the game that's non-physical [ex, unplugging the controller] and is COMPLETELY overpowered [IC glitch] are allowed. Shieldgrabs can be stopped by not being too predictable with your shffles.
I liked that anwser about shield grabbing, maybe that will help with playing against stupid shield grabbers. :lick:

Superstar

Smash Champion
Shield grabbing is a pretty good technique. I use it against my brother as well, of course, he is getting better at stopping it. However, shieldgrabs work best when you always go for predictable shhfls, and miss the L-Cancel.

If someone abuses the shield grab, punish them for it. Trick them into doing the sheild grab, then going for a JC grab, or a sidestep so their grab misses.

Almost all techs are not cheap [maybe except unbeatable stall techniques, IC glitch, etc]. Use them as you can in order to win.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

I wavedash backwards onto the ledge, and watch the classic look on the n00b's face.
lol, proud of yourself ? :laugh:

j/k Anyhow I'd do the same thing, 4 stock him, and if he gave me any kind of noob attitude I would just plain shake my head in disgust and walk away without saying anything.

If he seemed intrested in learning more about the game I'd help him out.

This thread makes me laugh Edgehogging *THUMBS DOWN*

Rofl, nub.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Shield grabbing is a pretty good technique. I use it against my brother as well, of course, he is getting better at stopping it. However, shieldgrabs work best when you always go for predictable shhfls, and miss the L-Cancel.

If someone abuses the shield grab, punish them for it. Trick them into doing the sheild grab, then going for a JC grab, or a sidestep so their grab misses.

Almost all techs are not cheap [maybe except unbeatable stall techniques, IC glitch, etc]. Use them as you can in order to win.
I SG with ICs mostly, once I get a hold of someone I pummle them and smash with the C-stick for maximum damage. I find myself doing it too much but normally the people I'm playing don't have good mindgames [sorry I had to use this word] they play really freakin' obvious, I can read their moves from a mile away.

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
lol, proud of yourself ? :laugh:

j/k Anyhow I'd do the same thing, 4 stock him, and if he gave me any kind of noob attitude I would just plain shake my head in disgust and walk away without saying anything.

If he seemed intrested in learning more about the game I'd help him out.

This thread makes me laugh Edgehogging *THUMBS DOWN*

Rofl, nub.
Oh what, what do you want me to put thumbs up??? I can say something most ppl hate other players that edgehog and just won't get it. :p

brain14

Smash Cadet
one day i was playing with a cpu falco on my team and accidently edgehogged him lol. ive been doing it on my opponents ever since. its great ftw and pissing off your freinds

taylorb9113

Smash Cadet
I enjoy edgehogging my friends, even (especially?) if we are on a team. Keep in mind that these are all friendly matches, of course.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
I edgehog and I don't find anything wrong with it. It's a perfect way to edgeguard at certain situations.

I think losing to Edgeguard is the best way to go out >.> I don't know, but I find edgeguard to be cool. If I lose from Edgeguard/Edgehog, I laugh. Although I'll get fraustrated sometime. Mostly it's laughing >.>

KazeOfTheWind

Smash Rookie
Just tell them that "Only the victims complain." I assure you that once they learn it, they wont say it's cheap anymore ^_^

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
I never really payed attention to it being the most easiest way to finish off an opponent. I mean, back then before I didn't realize it, I sorta did it every once in a while. But I, too, thought it was cheap and didn't do it. Then when I entered my first tournament, they was killin' it! So, here I am doin' the same thing now!

taylorb9113

Smash Cadet
I sometimes do that with Doc Mario. Hang on to ledge, let go, Bair, jump back on..
Sometimes I just stand right next to the edge and jump off and do a Bair..

His Bair is good >.>

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
I never really payed attention to it being the most easiest way to finish off an opponent. I mean, back then before I didn't realize it, I sorta did it every once in a while. But I, too, thought it was cheap and didn't do it. Then when I entered my first tournament, they was killin' it! So, here I am doin' the same thing now!
You guys see, ppl at first don't use it, then after......they do!! Uh i jus cant say that it's cheap.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
edgehogging is part of edgeguarding. if they like to sweet spot the ledge, like most people do, i hang on the ledge and then do a ledge attack if they try to go over me.

Arthesius

Smash Rookie
I am ashamed to say but I edgehog.. I feel dirty afterwards, like I just stole a lollipop from a child, or made fun of a mentally hadicap. It just bugs the concious. But I also like to win. Its a real bad character flaw, but I just love the feeling of the controller shaking when I win the match. I can see why you wouldn't like edge-hogging if you don't like to win. I am not saying this is the only way to win, but if ever play a real pro, you won't pass up the chance.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
theres no reason to feel guilty after edgehogging, im sure if ur opponent had the oppurtunity he would edgehog as well.
Whenver i get edgehogged by a friend who thinks its cheap i tell him, "hey ur steppin ur game up! nice one" because really its good to edgehog. edgehogging is like +1 to ur ssbm skills. it will make u just a little bit better.
and also
with ylink, if my oppenent is recovering from below i like to grab the ledge, then ledgehop dair when theyre close enuff to the ledge. its so funny theyre like "omfg edgeguard much?" me : "yes ^-^"

Edg

Smash Cadet
Edgehogging is part of the game.. there is even a bonus awarded for doing it. Like any other techniqu, anyone has the right to say whatever they want about its "cheapness" regardless of how ******** or irrelivant their point is. I dont really see the point of this thread

Manik

Smash Rookie
Like many people have said already, its just a part of the game. its stupid to say that it is "cheap." I say stuff is cheap alot, but thats just when im fired up and for me its a natural reaction to losing. if someone says its cheap you should probably just ignore them. dont let it bug you, that might throw you off.

Manik

Smash Rookie
Two things: it may not show skill in itself, but it shows brains, and secondly, they should have gone for it first. its simple. there has to be a winner, and that is whoever takes advantage of the elements of the game best.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
What if it's a close game.....there is one stock left for each player and all of the sudden the other player grabs the edge, with the other player with little damage, GAME OVER!!! He can't come back. This obviously shows no skill.
If they got edgehogged with low damage it shows how much they suck or how unlucky they are.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
If they got edgehogged with low damage, then wouldn't you have to edgeguard them well? Cause if you smash them at low damage, they'd be like 2 inches away from the edge >.>

Edgehog is a strategy, it isn't cheap. Of course you can have your own opinion on it, but that is mine.

About feeling guilty, I feel guilty whenever I go all out against a new player.. And you beat them like 4-0 or something. And then you're like, <_<

_clinton

Smash Master
I don't think it's cheep, however I have a Q for everyone... what form of play in this game do you guys think is cheep?

Top Bottom