• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgehogers

Zoap

Smash Master
well the ppl saying it are being dumb.

Next time someone says, just look over calmly and say well then dont go for the edge : )

Assuming they say something along the lines(Dont edgehog me!! Edgehogging is cheating! Why do you edgehog its not fair!)

Just don't listen Edgehogging is too good

Misty!

Smash Rookie
It's not that it's cheap but, it's one of the easier methods of finishing your opponent; I learned it and used it frequently before I was even aware of what a wavedash was. But yeah, it's just an easy alternative but only works at specific distances (as I'm sure you know). I still frequently do it as every good smasher takes the advantage when it's in front of them, but I still end up calling my friends gay when they do it to me, lol.

Sadnap

Smash Cadet
Its all fair game. If they think its cheap, they should learn it themselves to balance it out. Because most people adopt the anything you can do, I can do better, you just have to shut them up.

pdk

Smash Lord
do your friends play on hyrule temple with items on very high too, perchance?

there ya go, found your answer for you

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
When they complain, when you finish and get the the screen with all the battle stats (KOs, SDs, and etc) and go over to the right to the bonus screen and show them the "edge hog" bonus and ask them if it's so cheap why is it in the game as a positive bonus.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
isn't there even something on this in the instructional video? and if not there should **** well be a part to it for brawl

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Lol edgehogging people is cheap? =D You should hear my opponents when I do the Marth trick to them well in advance when they are marth and far from stage, try everything they can while I am light-shielding, and then can do nothing but up-B into it and get Marth-tricked =P It pissed people off really well ^_^

VilNess

Smash Champion
Lol edgehogging people is cheap? =D You should hear my opponents when I do the Marth trick to them well in advance when they are marth and far from stage, try everything they can while I am light-shielding, and then can do nothing but up-B into it and get Marth-tricked =P It pissed people off really well ^_^
Lol, you should have seen your face when we we´re marth dittoing, both on our last stocks and me recovering.
I ended up grabbing the edge faster than your Lightshieldgaying marth and... :laugh:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
A kill is a kill, as long as my controller isn't pulled out anything is fair game.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
Edge Hogging is terrible, only God is the mastermind behind this GLITCH.
No, no, no...
Winners don't edgehog... lolz.

Zgetto

Smash Ace
Do you guys think grabbing the edge so the oppenent won't reach is unfair? why or why not? ppl complain about this whenever I go to tournaments or host one, or even friendly matches.

of course its fair.
when someone doesnt edgehop i think thats just stupid.
you even get points for it :p

Coin you up

Smash Apprentice
Edge Hoging only makes your chances of wining higher but it also puts your opponent into a position to where they want to slap you. I had to dodge a couple of slaps from my friend beacuse I decided to edge hog him and bring him down to 2 stock while I had 4 with 64% damage :laugh: .

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Not cheap at all. Those who say it is are... worse than noobs.
Now, stuff that the programmers didn't intend... well, they're not as cheap either, except maybe a well-played YYG.

Spot

Smash Cadet
You should keep edgehogging, but be sure to press R or L right before they are about to reach the edge so it looks like they almost made it and the reason they didn't is just a distance thing. You know, 'cause when you are in mid-roll, the edge is still technically occupied.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
At a tourney I went to, I grabbed the edge against some guy, and he was like "THATS CHEATING!", "YOU ARE CHEAP"!

I said "Cheap? Look who's using Sheik."

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
When I first started playing Smash, my buddies and I kept playing the "Honorable Player" card. Whenever one or the other was sent hurtling from the stage, we agreed to back off and allow the other the chance to recover so that the match can be prolonged.

Boy, was I in for one helluva ***** slap when I played against some more serious players.

I admit it. I threw alotta johns out there, griping about edgehogging and how lame it was. However, with time, I accepted it as a fair tactic. It's in the game, after all, and it works. Many peers have taken the time to illustrate valid points to this; whether it was condescending or not, it helped my perspective broaden immensely---for the better, of course.

However, I've yet to throw edgehogging into my repetoire; I'm more into intercepting my opponent before they even touch the stage.

Banksya

Smash Ace
thats actually a typical noob response, complaining about edgeguarding. the fact that they complain means they suck at the game, the fact that you know its part of the game means you are better than them. they just need a reason to make your win seem less valid.

DarkLordKefka

Smash Cadet
I only edgehog in big games, you know, ones that mean something. It's the people that do it in friendly matches or in games where we're just doing it to goof off.

They may call it cheap, but you've got the W.

david0925

Smash Rookie
We have never played with items for a long time, and we always play on finalD most of the time. What are you trying to say that im a noob or what? *****!!! :laugh:
Its harder to edge hog in Hyrule...and the game either ends by going into really high % and someone flies off/into/away the screen finally, or endless catch-the-mouse game

Items i dont know

Uck2

Smash Cadet
There just jeoulous edgehogging is smart.Show them where you get points for edgehogging that should make them think.

Top Bottom