• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ebola thread: Chill out if you want to discuss it.

How prepared are you for ebola?

• Total voters

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, in the form of aerosols by sneezing and coughing. The CDC site claims the opposite of this though, which is a little jarring
Not exactly.

When you sneeze or cough, you can spray many microscopic saliva and mucous particles into the air. These invisible droplets are sufficient to spread ebola to another person, even though the virus isn't technically being aerosolized.

This means the virus will eventually fall to the ground (or adhere to other surfaces) within the droplets and won't stay suspended in the air any longer than the droplets do. These droplets, once fallen to the ground or attached to other surfaces, are still able to spread ebola.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did you know toilet water is an aerosol that can spread germs and junk?

The myth busters proves it can spread fecal bacteria. Everything in your bathrooms, including your toothbrushes, are infected with fecal bacteria

Couldn't ebola spread just like that, since it can spread from aerosols?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Did you know toilet water is an aerosol that can spread germs and junk? The myth busters proves it can spread fecal bacteria. Everything in your bathrooms, including your toothbrushes, are infected with fecal bacteria. Couldn't ebola spread just like that, since it can spread from aerosols?
The contagious phase of the virus is only when symptoms manifest in the victims. When you're dying from ebola, you wouldn't likely be in a public restroom.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The contagious phase of the virus is only when symptoms manifest in the victims. When you're dying from ebola, you wouldn't likely be in a public restroom.
There was a woman on an airplane with a fever

Is it contagious during THAT stage?

IF she used the planes restroom...

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well fun fact I remember from Microbiology adding to @ PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate 's toilet talk. When you flush a toilet, you actually create this gust of wind that throws all the bacteria and stuff into the air, which is why your bathrooms have fecal particles everywhere. I can't remember the exact article, but the way the guy cleaned his toilet was by setting it on fire haha.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Moved? Why?
The hospital that she's being moved to apparently specializes in Ebola treatment. This is a dumb question but can't they just bring the doctors+special equipment to her instead of having her travel all the way to Maryland and possibly infect others?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The hospital that she's being moved to apparently specializes in Ebola treatment. This is a dumb question but can't they just bring the doctors+special equipment to her instead of having her travel all the way to Maryland and possibly infect others?
That question isnt dumb at all, its one hell of a smart question. Saddly, Texas isnt that smart.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I just heard that the first nurse came to Akron airport (Cleveland area, where I live) when she noticed she had ebola. OH GOD.
Lock your doors and dont let anyone sneeze and vomit around you. dont even hand peeps a tissue , Thats what Im gonna do. Be it mean but hey, I want to live long enough to marry my gf

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Only one person has it. Really the whole Ebola thing is the Swine Flu panic all over again.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
It literally didn't.

Source
"At least one in five people worldwide were infected with swine flu during the first year of the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic, an international research group said on Friday, but the death rate was just 0.02 percent."

Source

I'm not ruling out the possibility of my (secondary) source being wrong, but it could just be a misinterpretation of the data from either Reuters or from you.

Do you know when the 2009 pandemic began? Because if the pandemic began in Oct 2009 (for hypothetical example) and the article you linked to only goes up to Nov 2009, I can see why so few people would have been listed as infected. I guess we'll need to dig deeper to know who's misinterpreting the data or getting the facts wrong here.

Another thing, if you read the article you linked:

"As many countries have stopped counting individual cases, particularly of milder illness, the case count is likely to be significantly lower than the actual number of cases that have occurred."​

Also, the article you link ONLY deals with confirmed cases via laboratory testing.

So basically the numbers you linked are for:
  1. A time that was only a few months into the pandemic at most, way before the exponential spread of the pandemic was 'complete'
  2. Only for confirmed laboratory cases, not for the actual total number of cases
  3. After a while docs stopped counting individual cases because there were so many of them, which the article you linked admits means the actual counts are likely FAR higher than what is listed.

So, yep. I'm stand by what I said original, and by what Reuters reported.

It literally DID infect 1/5 of the Earth's population.

Last edited:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You realize, your made up number is like 30 to 40 times greater than the confirmed cases? Yeah, I don't really care what you say, you are just a troll at this point.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
...your made up number...
My made up number? It's a number that was "made up" by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Imperial College London.

In fact... the WHO is the exact same organization you JUST quoted to attempt to back up your claim moments ago. Your denial of reality is astounding.

You realize, your made up number is like 30 to 40 times greater than the confirmed cases?
"... between 151,700 and 575,400 people who perished worldwide from 2009 H1N1 virus infection" SOURCE: CDC
151,700 to 575,400 people died. Which is to 19 to 73 times the early preliminary confirmed cases number (7,826) you quoted earlier. Which means that it should not have been at all surprising that the total infected count is also as much as 30 to 40 times greater than your quoted number. Especially since the the article you linked already said the true total would be SIGNIFICANTLY GREATER than the confirmed total. And especially since the article you linked was only a few months into the pandemic.
Yeah, I don't really care what you say, you are just a troll at this point.
If you don't care about the facts (which come from the WHO and CDC, and not from me), the it is indeed you who are the troll. And at least now I know not to take you seriously anymore. What a goofy attitude.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Chill the **** out with the arguing and calling each other trolls. You're obviously not going to convince each other, but I do side with CK in that I've never seen 1.5 billion cases listed.

On a side note, swine flu was ridiculously easy to transmit in comparison to Ebola. Stop fear mongering and calm down.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chill the **** out with the arguing and calling each other trolls. You're obviously not going to convince each other, but I do side with CK in that I've never seen 1.5 billion cases listed.
Well now that you've read the article, you have seen the 1 in 5 figure. There's no need to side with anyone other than the professionals and scientists (the CDC or WHO in the case).

On a side note, swine flu was ridiculously easy to transmit in comparison to Ebola. Stop fear mongering and calm down.
For what it's worth, that was literally the first thing I said on the topic of swine flu.

"Swine Flu infected something like 1/5 of the Earth's population in 2009. It didn't kill any more people than the typical flu strain does... Ebola [is] not ... as contagious as the flu..."

Last edited:

Simmons

Smash Cadet
I'd agree with this guide for the most part, although I have to disagree with the use of antibacterial soap.

Regular soap works just as well as antibacterial soap in terms of removing viruses. Buying antibacterial everything will end up killing a large amount of bacteria as well, but what happens to the bacteria it doesn't kill? They multiply. This will result in antibiotic resistant "super" bacteria, and then we'll have ebola 2.0 on our hands. Not very fun.

So I'd rather only prepare for one apocalypse. Buy regular soap.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd agree with this guide for the most part, although I have to disagree with the use of antibacterial soap.

Regular soap works just as well as antibacterial soap in terms of removing viruses. Buying antibacterial everything will end up killing a large amount of bacteria as well, but what happens to the bacteria it doesn't kill? They multiply. This will result in antibiotic resistant "super" bacteria, and then we'll have ebola 2.0 on our hands. Not very fun.

Ebola isn't a bacteria

Chinaux

Smash Ace

"At least one in five people worldwide were infected with swine flu during the first year of the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic, an international research group said on Friday, but the death rate was just 0.02 percent."

Source

I'm not ruling out the possibility of my (secondary) source being wrong, but it could just be a misinterpretation of the data from either Reuters or from you.

Do you know when the 2009 pandemic began? Because if the pandemic began in Oct 2009 (for hypothetical example) and the article you linked to only goes up to Nov 2009, I can see why so few people would have been listed as infected. I guess we'll need to dig deeper to know who's misinterpreting the data or getting the facts wrong here.

Another thing, if you read the article you linked:

"As many countries have stopped counting individual cases, particularly of milder illness, the case count is likely to be significantly lower than the actual number of cases that have occurred."​

Also, the article you link ONLY deals with confirmed cases via laboratory testing.

So basically the numbers you linked are for:
  1. A time that was only a few months into the pandemic at most, way before the exponential spread of the pandemic was 'complete'
  2. Only for confirmed laboratory cases, not for the actual total number of cases
  3. After a while docs stopped counting individual cases because there were so many of them, which the article you linked admits means the actual counts are likely FAR higher than what is listed.

So, yep. I'm stand by what I said original, and by what Reuters reported.

It literally DID infect 1/5 of the Earth's population.
Can we take off our tin foil hats really quick?

It's still not going to spread. Most of the cases that have reached news-level have been proven false and aren't actually real cases. Sure, some are, but there's still no need to worry about it.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer

It's still not going to spread. Most of the cases that have reached news-level have been proven false and aren't actually real cases. Sure, some are, but there's still no need to worry about it.
Lol what are you even talking about

It has spread and is currently spreading and killing thousands of people, and will eventually kill tens of thousands or more before this is all over.

Last edited:

Simmons

Smash Cadet

I was joking for the most part. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

I just really hate when people use antibacterial soap for no reason other than it's "antibacterial."

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I was joking for the most part. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

I just really hate when people use antibacterial soap for no reason other than it's "antibacterial."
I gotcha. Antibacterial soap is okay for the most part.

Simmons

Smash Cadet
I gotcha. Antibacterial soap is okay for the most part.
Not exactly; you should only use antibacterial soap if you are specifically trying to avoid bacteria. Otherwise, natural selection dictates that bacteria that are resistant to antibacterial soap will survive, multiply, and become dominant.

It won't really matter if the few people who actually need antibacterial soap use it, but if the majority of people use it, bad stuff could start to happen.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Not exactly; you should only use antibacterial soap if you are specifically trying to avoid bacteria. Otherwise, natural selection dictates that bacteria that are resistant to antibacterial soap will survive, multiply, and become dominant. It won't really matter if the few people who actually need antibacterial soap use it, but if the majority of people use it, bad stuff could start to happen.
Lol.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you serious? It's been all over the news. You seriously don't know that thousands of people have been killed by ebola in this current outbreak? I'm flabbergasted, bro. Straight up flabbergasted.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Are you serious? It's been all over the news. You seriously don't know that thousands of people have been killed by ebola in this current outbreak? I'm flabbergasted, bro. Straight up flabbergasted.
Dude. I don't watch the news on TV. It's exaggerated BS. Show me a reputable source report on this or it didn't happen. :estatic:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude. I don't watch the news on TV. It's exaggerated BS. Show me a reputable source report on this or it didn't happen. :estatic:
Google.com

type "ebola death count"

You have just learned to internet.

Next week: How to wipe without calling for your parent's assistance.

Last edited:

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
The virus can spread via any bodily secretions pretty much. While we'll probably be okay, I want to clarify that researchers are saying that the virus can spread via tiny droplets from coughing or sneezing. You can also supposedly catch it if you touch something a carrier has left sweat on and then touch your mouth, nose, eyes, etc. Blood is just the most prominent conductor of the virus, apparently.

The good news seems to be that a carrier has to be displaying symptoms to transmit the disease. The bad news is that, here in Dallas, we're looking at another possible confirmed case that just released today, an officer working for the Sheriff Department in Frisco who was assigned to enter the apartment of Eric Duncan WITHOUT hazard gear. (:glare:)

My anxiety over this is largely due to the fact that it's happening all around me. The minute clinic the most recent possible case went to is literally right off of the street I moved from three months ago. ****'s scary.

Boy, this whole thing is reminding me of the old Swine Flu - Mexico City thread from 09. I was close to the outbreak then, too. Brb, moving from the south for good no regrets.

edit: I just realized that for the most part "my own research" would still just be considered "listening to the media". Excuse me for being a casual about this, but I'm not about to dig up information on the virus strains at my local library. I'm listening to what's being reported, and what's being reported is incredibly unsettling. Still, you're probably right. There's no need for panic right now. I'm just a worry-wart
I actually do relate this to the swine flu, I don't remember it much now since I was 10, but I remember it being scarier than hell. I feel like it's going to be exactly like it and just fade away after a while.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I actually do relate this to the swine flu, I don't remember it much now since I was 10, but I remember it being scarier than hell. I feel like it's going to be exactly like it and just fade away after a while.
Partially off topic here, but did you know that every time your brain remembers something, the memory is changed a little bit each time?

Top Bottom