• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy way out of a chain grab

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Air dodge at the same time as you jump.

For example, if you mash jump and even manage to get a little off the ground while being CGed, DDD or anyone else who can CG can still grab you. So if you dodge while jumping you jump but with invinciblity frames, and doesn't let you get grabbed again.

Really just lets you escape if your opponents messes up a just a little.

Edit: title was an exaggeration

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
And how are you suppposed to jump in the first place....?
And jump breaks have immobility frames(as in you can do anything)

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
idk, it's just am easy way to break free if your opponent messes up. I just posted it cos it works sometimes for me

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
They are called chain grabs because you can't escape them without having your opponent mess up or having the chain grab finish. There is no escape until certain requirement's are met. Such as going off stage, or reaching certain percents.

You also wrote that they had to mess up... Therefore this is no easy way... Sadly

Mmac

Smash Lord
All the known chaingrabs in the game are already proved to be inescapable until they either run out of room, or the victim is at a certain %

Crystanium

Smash Hero
They are called chain grabs because you can't escape them without having your opponent mess up or having the chain grab finish. There is no escape until certain requirement's are met. Such as going off stage, or reaching certain percents.

You also wrote that they had to mess up... Therefore this is no easy way... Sadly
So far, I've been able to escape Falco's chaingrab with Samus, even at Falco's first attempt. That is to say, he'll grab me and throw me down, but the moment I hit the ground, I'm in the air, jumping and DI'ing out of the way. Thus, Falco's chaingrab is rendered useless. This doesn't work for most characters, though. I was unable to do this with Pit and Fox, though it seems that at the third attempt, Fox can get free.

Anyway, Ref, I think you're in error. Just because it's called a "chaingrab" doesn't mean that you cannot escape it. There's a difference between "chaingrab" and "infinite chaingrab." You should keep in mind that in reality, chains are limited, and thus come to an end. I do agree with you on those requirements, though. For example, it seems that Pit can chaingrab, but he can only do this until the opponent is at 40% or higher. After that, it's not possible to chaingrab.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
So far, I've been able to escape Falco's chaingrab with Samus, even at Falco's first attempt. That is to say, he'll grab me and throw me down, but the moment I hit the ground, I'm in the air, jumping and DI'ing out of the way. Thus, Falco's chaingrab is rendered useless. This doesn't work for most characters, though. I was unable to do this with Pit and Fox, though it seems that at the third attempt, Fox can get free.
Samus, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Peach.

Those are the characters that can escape for sure. The rest... it's questionable.
And you don't need to double-jump airdodge, you can just do their Nairs, Fairs... anything, really.

Anyway, Ref, I think you're in error. Just because it's called a "chaingrab" doesn't mean that you cannot escape it. There's a difference between "chaingrab" and "infinite chaingrab." You should keep in mind that in reality, chains are limited, and thus come to an end.
They are called chain grabs because you can't escape them without having your opponent mess up or having the chain grab finish.
Actually, I think he got it dead on.

Let me clear this up. Falco's chaingrab not being 100% on those 4 characters doesn't mean chaingrabs are escapable. It means Falco doesn't have a true chaingrab on those 4 characters. A chaingrab is, literally, a chain of grabs that you CANNOT escape when it's performed correctly, until you reach the end of the stage, certain percent, etc.

An Infinite Chaingrab is something that you cant escape, ever, until either your opponent messes up, or decides to let you out. Or a hazard hits you, or something just as "fun".

Suffice to say, yes, this is the most common method for escaping a chaingrab when your opponent messes up, right next to spotdodging.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
So can you escape a falco chaingrab with wolf by air dodging? Or just like jigs and them
With samus, jigz, kirby and peach, falco can't chaingrab them period. On all other 35 characters, as far as I know, there are only three ways they can escape. Falco messes up, reaches the ledge while chaingrabbing or the character getting chaingrabbed reaches a high enough percent for the chaingrab to not be do-able anymore.

One is if the falco messes up, in which the person getting chaingrabbed can easily escape with an AD or DI or a lagless aerial something. If falco doesn't mess up, you can't escape unless the edge interupts the chaingrab, or you reach a certain percent. At the certain percent, it means that the down throw does enough knockback so that falco can't continue the chaingrab.

Legan

Smash Lord
Link and samus can escape a falco chaingrab around 40%. All they gotta do is airdoge and zair him in the face before he approaches.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
if you can jump in the first place just attack....... =S why would you dodge , to get grabbed again?
Ariels have lag. If you jump while air dodging you move away. It's way more useful with yoshi, ness or Lucas cos of their wierd second jumps.

Again, this is not a way out of a chain grab if the person is doing it right. It's just a way to take advantage and escape easily if your opponent messes up a little.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Link and samus can escape a falco chaingrab around 40%. All they gotta do is airdoge and zair him in the face before he approaches.
40% is almost the percent it stops working on most characters anyways...

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
Ariels have lag. If you jump while air dodging you move away. It's way more useful with yoshi, ness or Lucas cos of their wierd second jumps.

Again, this is not a way out of a chain grab if the person is doing it right. It's just a way to take advantage and escape easily if your opponent messes up a little.
i see what you mean but my point is that if you could jump in the first place you're already out of the cg and air dodging is a really bad option, play some one of skill and you'll see just what i mean, and i apologize for sounding rude

Top Bottom