• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easiest character to play

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
For complete first timers, Mario/Kirby for sure. Both are easy to use and pretty forgiving with mistakes. If youre just new to smash4 then pretty much anyone except the weirdos like Littlemac, Ryu, Olimar, etc (the guys that have unusual movements basically)

I really only find a handful of characters to be difficult to use. None of them are top tier either, oddly enough lol.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If she's so easy why are there so many more shieks than rosaslina's?
There could be a number of reasons. It could be that Rosalina is boring. Or she's not as good as Sheik. It could be she lacks as many combos as Sheik.

I have to agree with many that Mario is pretty easy. I've referred to him as "basic" because he is, but that doesn't mean he's a bad character. Obviously. For those who say Ness is easy, I don't agree with that. My brother mains Ness, so for anyone who says Ness is easy, I'd like to see how you play.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
There could be a number of reasons. It could be that Rosalina is boring. Or she's not as good as Sheik. It could be she lacks as many combos as Sheik.

I have to agree with many that Mario is pretty easy. I've referred to him as "basic" because he is, but that doesn't mean he's a bad character. Obviously. For those who say Ness is easy, I don't agree with that. My brother mains Ness, so for anyone who says Ness is easy, I'd like to see how you play.
Ness is easy. Nothing hard to learn about him.

Rosa has luma to manage, so she's harder to me.

SevenDeadlySquids

Smash Rookie
Don't know if he's the easiest to win with, per se, but I'd say Ike is the best for new players. He does not really have any fancy tech that needs mastered and his play style is very straightforward.

SN Kurse

Smash Rookie
NNID
benxbaker
I mean if we're strictly looking at in general and not saying 'mastering' the character or winning/playing at the highest level, I do feel Little Mac at a VERY basic level is super easily picked up. Now once you get into it a bit more, he's simply a bit more complicated and I don't think he's the easiest at all. But for someone who rarely/never has played, he's pretty straight forward.

At a more intermediate/higher level, I do think Ike is pretty simple. Cloud is insanely good and not the most difficult to pick up at all. Same boat as Mario, at least in my opinion.

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
Ness does have small AT's like auto canceling down air for lagless landings and footstool combos with PK fire. It's just that he really doesn't need them.

Bayonetta seems easy but she does have some advanced stuff. Look at Salem.

Ike has NO advanced techniques. He's the only character in this game to be around fundementals.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What difficulty ATs does he require? Pretty sure it's none.
You should play against my brother some time.

Anyway, I have another character with an easy learning curve to add: Yoshi. Then again, it's no surprise that Mario characters are easy to pick up.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Ness is easy to pick up and play. He has a low skill floor, which is what I think the OP is getting at. Skill ceilings are completely different.
I'm not trying to diminish the efforts anyone's brother has gone to or anything - Ness lowkey has a lot of ATs he can use and props to anyone who can actually JPKF with consistency. Very few of his ATs are actually necessary to play the character well though. D-air cancels, PSIMag momentum cancelling stuff and PKT2 wallbouncing are all the Ness-specific ATs that I can think of that he actually *needs* at any level of play, and none of them are difficult to learn or apply.

He's got a lot of easy and effective combos, yes some combos involving **** like DJ Up air are harder to execute but really, they do not take long to learn, unlike complex Sheik strings for example. You don't have to learn any 50/50s or kill confirms. He'll just kill raw. The applications of his moves are pretty obvious and they're very easy to use. They're massive and do a crapton of damage. He will almost always win trades.

Yes he has a lot of ATs but he doesn't need most of them.
High skill ceiling, but one of the lowest skill floors in the game.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Ness does have small AT's like auto canceling down air for lagless landings and footstool combos with PK fire. It's just that he really doesn't need them.

Bayonetta seems easy but she does have some advanced stuff. Look at Salem.

Ike has NO advanced techniques. He's the only character in this game to be around fundementals.
:4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4drmario::4darkpit::4mario::4marth::4dk:

Actually, every character is based on a part of fundamentals.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ness is easy to pick up and play. He has a low skill floor, which is what I think the OP is getting at. Skill ceilings are completely different.
I'm not trying to diminish the efforts anyone's brother has gone to or anything - Ness lowkey has a lot of ATs he can use and props to anyone who can actually JPKF with consistency. Very few of his ATs are actually necessary to play the character well though. D-air cancels, PSIMag momentum cancelling stuff and PKT2 wallbouncing are all the Ness-specific ATs that I can think of that he actually *needs* at any level of play, and none of them are difficult to learn or apply.
My brother does pretty well with JPKF. And he doesn't care about back throwing his opponents for wins, either. Haha! I've never heard of "low skill floor" or "skill ceilings" before. I've tried using Ness myself, and he didn't feel right for me.

One character I'd like to learn is Zamus, and I feel she has a high learning curve. I don't want to be cursed playing as Samus forever.

_Jack_

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, there are easy characters to play, but no character is so easy that you can get by with crap fundamentals. I main Ness, for example, and I won't hesitate to tell you that Ness is an extremely easy character to pick up and play. He has one of the best combo throws in his down throw, easy to do combos in FAir into FAir strings, and the best kill throw in the game in his back throw which basically guarantees death if you get grabbed over 100%. However, none of that matters if your fundamentals are awful. Ness' ease of use can't save you from your own weaknesses. If you plan on approaching every single time with a dash grab, it may work the first time but, if you're playing against a competent opponent, they're going to pick up on it, avoid it, and punish you. If the only method of damage racking is down throw into 2-3 FAirs, your opponent is going to learn to adapt, DI, and punish you for it. If you're blatant and obvious about when you're planning to grab an opponent for the kill, you're going to get baited and punished. Not to mention Ness' lackluster recovery, which even good Ness players struggle getting around. Ness may be easy to play, but you still have to have good fundamentals to do well with him.

A lot of these "easy to use" characters rely heavily on their players having good fundamentals. Anybody can sit in the corner and charge Limit with Cloud. The difference is that a player with good fundamentals knows how to respond when a good player attempts to retaliate whereas a player with crap fundamentals is just gonna get grabbed and thrown off the stage, where they'll die at 12%.

Atley Yuen

Smash Rookie
If you're a beginner to mid-level player, then Ike is probably who you're looking for.
If you can master his short hop > f-air or n-air you can get some pretty easy air combos. Also,
while his grab game might not be to best in the game, it's pretty good, seeing as to how you can get the
up-throw into f-air and other combos. If you are a player who loves to get hard reads, then Ike is the character for
you, as his punishes are very rewarding most of the times.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Personally, I think Captain Falcon is a good choice. He isn't too difficult to learn and is a very strong asset for competitive play. He is fast and strong, a good combination.

Bayonetta may also be another good choice, she has some easy-ish combos and is a very strong character.

I'm not too great at Smash but I hope that helped :4dedede:

Top Bottom