• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easiest character to play

captain bobo

Smash Rookie
What characters do you guys think are the easiest to play competitively? ie easiest to win like locals with etc. with, not something like evo.
I always hear people say mario. What makes these characters easier?

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
Mario does have good combo start ups right off the bat with the utilts along with fighting up close. He can shield pressure with fireballs from a distance and good grab throws. Even though I may not be a Mario main or my secondary but when I do use him, he plays smooth. Me personally I felt comfortable using Toon Link to play pressure and good aerial attacks. He does have the right tools to fight a good amount of characters to start up with and learn what kind of combat style you perfer.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Captain Falcon is a fast, high reward character that get good results with little practice, and gets even better with more of it.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Mario, Luigi, Captain Falcon, and Rosalina are pretty easy to learn.

Link is easy as well but has way too many weaknesses.

Ness is extremely easy once you learn how to use his recovery properly which doesn't take that long.

Last edited:

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet

Ness is extremely easy once you learn how to use his recovery properly which doesn't take that long.
Maybe I'm biased, but in a competitive setting, I wouldn't really add Link to that list. His projectiles are highly punishable if used incorrectly, and because of his weaknesses he isn't as easy to play as some characters who don't have as many.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Mario and Rosalina are easy to learn and are both very good characters.

I also think Captain Falcon can be played decently at a lowish mid level without practice, but I hesitate to suggest him as an "easy to win with" character because he struggles a lot at higher levels. He just doesn't have the gimmicks and range of options that a lot of other really great characters have and you end up having to rely on getting a lot of reads to get kills. This is funny because it's a lot like how he is in Melee in this regard, but you just don't have as many chances to do stuff to people in this game because people don't move around as much and they can just sit still a lot more. I guess what I'm saying is that he's fairly easy but it's difficult to stay unpredictable with Falcon.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sheik's pretty easy to be good with. Just throw hitboxes constantly, never worry about being punished. Just takes a bit of effort to kill now.

Though of course, simplicity of winning is always related to your opponent's skill. If your opponents are bad enough, Bowser's probably easiest because a smash at 40-50% will kill.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Trick question, if you want to win locals easily you need to practice on your basic skills instead of focusing on your character choices.

Now assuming you got the basic skills, which characters will give you the most results with the least effort ?

In 1.0.9 I'd lean towards Luigi because all of his gameplan revolves around Dthrow. If you know your true combos from Dthrow at all percents (what works when on who and when it starts killing) and if you work your grab setups (fireballs, aerials, mixups, etc) you're good to go.
ZSS and the "Dapuffster style" Mii Brawler also work in similar ways.

Another kind of characters that can yield good results are a type that I'd call "thieves" or "scammers". They are character with strong come back potential and they have some options that, while not guaranteed, can completely turn a fight around if they are landed. Lucario, Roy and Falcon fit this archetype perfectly as rage snergize perfectly with their moveset and will get them ridiculous kills (Ganon and Bowser work too but their weaknesses require much more practice).
Choosing one of those characters isn't as safe as the first category because you rely on your opponent doing a moderate mistake but they can still take you pretty far in tournaments, especially if you can condition your opponent to make the crucial mistakes.

Then you have Yoshi.
For Yoshi the main strategy is to find a TV that is near a staircase and as soon as the match starts you throw your controller down the stairs. The result is generally a 70+% combo with an Fair spike kill. You go pick up your controller when the opponent is respawning.

PS : I didn't include Sheik and Rosa because those characters' gameplan is way more complex than the ones I listed above. But if you have the time to train and don't care about playing a character that will get nerfed in two or three months then choose Sheik/Rosa.

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD

I like that you use Falco...don't see that often. He was my favorite from Melee and Brawl...and then Smash 4 happened. I still play as him, but not as a main, sadly.

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD
What characters do you guys think are the easiest to play competitively? ie easiest to win like locals with etc. with, not something like evo.
I always hear people say mario. What makes these characters easier?
:4mario: is by far the easiest. Not only his combos, but his attack recovery and damage per attack is devastating!

:4marth: is a little underrated, but he combos well. He is one of the easier characters to acclimate to.

:4fox: is also a little underrated. He has some great grab combos and can punish well.

These characters have a low skill ceiling, but can get the job done.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
:4mario: is by far the easiest. Not only his combos, but his attack recovery and damage per attack is devastating!

:4marth: is a little underrated, but he combos well. He is one of the easier characters to acclimate to.

:4fox: is also a little underrated. He has some great grab combos and can punish well.

Fox? Low skill ceiling? Grab combos? None of those make sense. Not only is Fox one of the more difficult characters, he has one of the higher skill ceilings, and beyond 10%, he can only combo out of grabs against heavies who DI poorly.

Sheik and Rosalina ideally shouldn't be easy to use, but given how incredibly safe they currently are, that's not really the case. Neither of them are meant to be simplistic characters, but the need to play them on point at all times and make use of absolutely everything they have is simply not pressing in their current versions.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Maybe I'm biased, but in a competitive setting, I wouldn't really add Link to that list. His projectiles are highly punishable if used incorrectly, and because of his weaknesses he isn't as easy to play as some characters who don't have as many.
I'm saying as maybe a character that you want to learn the game with. Definitely by far isn't viable in competitive play but isn't exactly the hardest character to learn if you just started playing the game. I remember when I first started playing Melee I used Link because he wasn't hard to control but wasn't even close to the best character. Link just helped me get into other characters.

Last edited:

Staticky

Smash Cadet
Pikachu, Mario, and Captain Falcon, and Fox should be the ones you use to improve your fundamentals IMO. To win a local, use Luigi right now, he is extremely good.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
To all the people who are saying Mario is easy to learn and play, would you say the same for Dr. Mario? Just curious.

On topic, I can't really say for sure. I don't feel I have the knowledge necessary to really make a judgment like that. The majority of what everyone else has been saying is sound to me, however.

captain bobo

Smash Rookie
Pikachu, Mario, and Captain Falcon, and Fox should be the ones you use to improve your fundamentals IMO. To win a local, use Luigi right now, he is extremely good.
I heard that you need to be good at mashing for luigi's down b? I'm bad at that in other games so idk. I play falcon right now. I feel like I'm improving with punishing all the defensive options in different scenarios, tomahawking, and empty hopping. Still need a lot of improvement with disadvantage state and neutral. I think I will try to learn mario. vanilla villager is really hard to learn haha

Thanks for replies everyone

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD
To all the people who are saying Mario is easy to learn and play, would you say the same for Dr. Mario? Just curious.

On topic, I can't really say for sure. I don't feel I have the knowledge necessary to really make a judgment like that. The majority of what everyone else has been saying is sound to me, however.
No, I wouldn't. I think :4drmario: has a much higher skill ceiling in terms of learning him. He doesn't have the speed or the grab combos that Mario has.

Rhus

We're going top speed!

While I agree Fox is underrated, there is absolutely no way he is in competition with the easier characters for skill ceiling. He has a steeper learning curve than 80% of the cast at least. As someone else already mentioned, he has no killing/comboing throws. His throws gain positional advantage to do something with his ridiculous movement, he doesn't get guaranteed combos off them for free damage.

You know, like Luigi, ZSS, Sheik, Mario, and Diddy.

In terms of the easiest characters, I feel Yoshi and Luigi are easier than Mario, but he's still pretty straightforward.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107

what. Marth doesn't have many combos and actually takes more spacing than most characters, def one of the hardest characters to play

blackghost

Smash Champion
Shiek is harder than Rosa lmao
rosalina has worse recovery, has to protect and keep luma alive, and that is a long 12 seconds when luma dies before it comes back. And while luma is dead you lose 2 specials. Also rosalina requires expert spacing and awareness of placement and character distance to be effective. If she's so easy why are there so many more shieks than rosaslina's?

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
rosalina has worse recovery, has to protect and keep luma alive, and that is a long 12 seconds when luma dies before it comes back. And while luma is dead you lose 2 specials. Also rosalina requires expert spacing and awareness of placement and character distance to be effective. If she's so easy why are there so many more shieks than rosaslina's?
I see the same amount of Rosalina and Shiek. Shiek has a harder time killing, Rosalina can kill at like 40. Rosalina has much jankier hitboxs and 12 seconds on luma respawn should be longer.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I see the same amount of Rosalina and Shiek. Shiek has a harder time killing, Rosalina can kill at like 40. Rosalina has much jankier hitboxs and 12 seconds on luma respawn should be longer.
luma can kill early rosalina can't. and the respawn is fine. luma can't recovery offstage out of tumble.

David Viran

Smash Lord
maybe at 40 but still kills super early on other stages
It happens sometimes on stages like bf and FD but not often enough to actually be reliable. You also have to have Luma hit and be close to the top blast zone or uair just won't kill.

Last edited:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
It happens sometimes on stages like bf and FD but not often enough to actually be reliable. You also have to have Luma hit and be close to the top blast zone or uair just won't kill.
even then Rosalina has a much easier time killing than Shiek, with much better smash attacks.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
No one. Due to the nature of smash 4, assuming a matchup is not super heavily weighted, the better mindgames/reads will win. You can't expect to win anything without putting the time and effort in to actually learn to play smash well.

(Take this with a grain of salt. I'm personally pretty bad at the game, I just have a decent understanding of the meta/smash in general.)

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
No one. Due to the nature of smash 4, assuming a matchup is not super heavily weighted, the better mindgames/reads will win. You can't expect to win anything without putting the time and effort in to actually learn to play smash well.

(Take this with a grain of salt. I'm personally pretty bad at the game, I just have a decent understanding of the meta/smash in general.)
I think its more about which characters have a low skill floor, like its pretty easy to use Mario and to learn his combos and his spacing tools.

Last edited:

captain bobo

Smash Rookie

I disagree with this. Peach and villager for example take a lot more practice than other characters, because they are so unorthodox. Pac man as well. To utilize these characters properly, you have to be really used to their unique options like floating, working with items, fruit, proper autocanceling and picking smart and mixed up options. Also these harder characters often have moves that are very bad compared to the rest of the cast's same moves. Their grab might suck, their jab/tilts/aerials might be unsafe, certain smashes could be extremely situational, etc. Not having a good grab is especially rough in this game.

Imo characters that don't have an intuitive neutral game, reliable kill moves and simple combos with margin for error are obviously harder to learn, and probably harder to play, but that doesn't mean they are worse characters or even necessarily that they take more skill to win with.

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
rosalina isn't easy.
roy, shiek and ness are easy. Roy is the easiest character in smash 4 by far.
you have some vendetta against Roy or something? he isn't that easy. at least not nearly as much as luigi is

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
If we are talking about mid level competitive gameplay
definetely Luigi,Rosa and Falcon
mario is indeed easy but at mid level it stops being easy

Top Bottom