• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easier spike...

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Everyone talks about the dthrow to fair spike, which, though effective, has timing that varies greatly between different characters.
I've found that a FTHROW to fair is ALOT easier to time because the timing is basically the same for every character.
You want to jump with nana then time her fair so that she hits the opponent immediately after they get thrown.
Sorry it this is common knowledge, but i haven't really seen much on it and it's much more reliable than the alternative.

On a side note, when not teched, this sets up the timing for an iceblock lock really well. Just start jamming B once they hit the ground from the fair.

Nikwadtkhil

Smash Cadet
all my spikes are F-throw to F-air and i never miss (unless over wifi where every grab combo misses >.>)

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i find dthrow > fair more reliable... except on highly damaged opponents. in that case, i basically just jump > fair (with the ctrl stick, not the cstick), which causes an fthrow. at lost percents, that doesn't seem to work very well, but at higher percents it usually works.

for me, at least >_>. i may just have wonky timing. :p

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Well everyone has their own preference right? I don't like Fthrow to Fair, I just don't like it cause it just doesn't "suit" me. I find that Dthrow to Fair is much better to do, but sometimes it's best to mix them throws up to confuse your opponent on where to DI. Them 2% might or might not make a difference.

=O It works well to lead to Ice Block lock? I might try it more often now. XD

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I do Dthrow Fair if I want to regrab, I think Fthrow's animation is a little longer and it kinda messes with my regrabs.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I do Dthrow Fair if I want to regrab, I think Fthrow's animation is a little longer and it kinda messes with my regrabs.

the fthrow animation is longer for the lighter characters, but the timing is pretty much the same for every character. i'm saying that it might be worth trying out (especially on the heavier characters) because it's a more consistent timing. i'm not sure about the regrab, tho, because if done correct it will put your opponent kinda far infront of you. i don't know if you're able to grab right away then...

Rykard

Smash Ace
i think i should start learning the forward throw > fair timing. im getting really inconsistant with the downthrow > fair spike and it cost me a match once cause i didnt get the kill.

also if you just so happen to be facing away from the edge you can do a backthrow > fair for a spike too. The fiar has to be done with the C-stick and in the direction you were facing before the throw though cause nana flips around in mid air. it looks really cool but is really hard to do

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
You know im gonna take the time to master it, just so I can change it up. Instead of regurgitating the same washed up Dthrow > Fair

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
hmm. i probably have a greater chance of messing up the dthrow to fair than i would tripping lol.

and as for the bthrow to fair, the timing is actually not too difficult. i tried it out and you (in most cases) just jump and cstick the fair at the same time you execute the bthrow. it even works for regrabs like the fthrow to fair does.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree and I use this all the time instead of dthrow to fair. I can even do it in anyone battles online where there is more than the standard amount of lag. I have also noticed that the timing is almost the same on every character no matter the percentage. The only characters that seem to have different timing are the really big characters: Bowser, King Dedede, and DK. I also have an easier time setting up Ice Block locks with it.

arrex

Smash Cadet
lol i should try that.
i just usually f-air while pop is grabbing.
but that ends up either 1 of 2 things...
1) the opponent gets knocked back pretty far
or
2) spiked

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Why don't you just Short hop F-air with out throwing the opponent? It spikes them. U have to make sure you're as close to the edge as possible though because if not, the opponent can DI on to the stage.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I use fthrow to an fair, it's easier to spike and dthrow to a spike can't spike heavy characters at high damage. I find fthrow is much easier. :D

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Why don't you just Short hop F-air with out throwing the opponent? It spikes them. U have to make sure you're as close to the edge as possible though because if not, the opponent can DI on to the stage.

that's true, but it's a little more situational to be THAT close to the edge. i mean, you can also dash grab and slide to the edge but you have a lot more room for error if you fthrow first. i think it's almost a character length away and it'll still spike.

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
I agree and I use this all the time instead of dthrow to fair. I can even do it in anyone battles online where there is more than the standard amount of lag. I have also noticed that the timing is almost the same on every character no matter the percentage. The only characters that seem to have different timing are the really big characters: Bowser, King Dedede, and DK. I also have an easier time setting up Ice Block locks with it.
Although the opponent has a lot more time to tech the spike since he/she is hit farther away...

Hit973

Smash Cadet
I use f-throw--> fair on heavier characters. Feels more natural against them for some reason.

chewyy

Smash Ace
Although the opponent has a lot more time to tech the spike since he/she is hit farther away...
I've only tried f-throw on lighter characters, but it hits them earlier than d-throw for me. But, that's probably because when pop has the grab I sh with nana, tap the c-stick, then start the f-throw, but for the d-throw I sh after starting the d-throw.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Down throw to Fair Spike is preferred when you are going to combo the spike with a finishing smash or ice block lock and when the opponent is at the lower damage ranges. At higher damage and when you are trying to kill with the spike alone, it's better to finish with a Fair Spike.

Top Bottom