• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Earthworm Jim for Brawl!

Aeramis

Smash Ace
No thanks, Earthworm Jim looks too much like Buzzlightyear except he is a space worm and we already have enough space animals. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Wolf from Star Fox in Brawl as long as he doesn't use any of the same movesets of Fox/Falco.

T-major

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind seeing Wolfen from Star Fox in Brawl as long as he doesn't use any of the same movesets of Fox/Falco.

first of all, his name is Wolf, not Wolfen; and how the hell does Wolf even relate to Earthworm Jim in ANY way... there like.. 943% different... it's like comparing Grand Theft Auto with a math textbook...

I'm still waiting for those Logical reasons...

also; "Name ONE character thats worse then Earthworm Jim"

1) Crash Bandicoot

there you go... EVERYBODY should agree with that (if you don't, your stupid... yes I know, thats hurtful; but it's also the truth)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

first of all, his name is Wolf, not Wolfen; and how the hell does Wolf even relate to Earthworm Jim in ANY way... there like.. 943% different... it's like comparing Grand Theft Auto with a math textbook...

1) Crash Bandicoot

there you go... EVERYBODY should agree with that (if you don't, your stupid... yes I know, thats hurtful; but it's also the truth)
Quoted for truth.

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
Alright 10 Logical Reasons y blah blah blah.....

1. There are other characters that deserve a spot more than Jim.
10. Nobody (that matters) likes Jim.

I can't think of 10 logical reasons..... that arent too biased...

T-major

Smash Champion
I can't think of 10 logical reasons..... that arent too biased...
exactly! I win! :D

the fact that Jim is recognisable to anybody who played video games in the SNES era, and acualy has importance to video game history, makes him WAY more deserving then most of the other characters that people are sugesting. not only that but he's also unique and original, which I would think is a good thing; but nooooooo! we need to put in Wolf, the furry Vegeta Rip-off! (not saying that Wolf doesn't have a chance). also, the fact that no one can think of a logical reason why Jim can't get in just proves that they hate the character for no reason at all. which is just stupid!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
exactly! I win! :D

the fact that Jim is recognisable to anybody who played video games in the SNES era, and acualy has importance to video game history, makes him WAY more deserving then most of the other characters that people are sugesting. not only that but he's also unique and original, which I would think is a good thing; but nooooooo! we need to put in Wolf, the furry Vegeta Rip-off! (not saying that Wolf doesn't have a chance). also, the fact that no one can think of a logical reason why Jim can't get in just proves that they hate the character for no reason at all. which is just stupid!
Once again, quoted for truth *Virtual High-Five*

Yes, Jim will probably not make it in, but what's the harm of liking him and imagining him in Brawl?

Aeramis

Smash Ace

1) Crash Bandicoot

Yea, Wolf as in Wolf O'Donnell is what I meant. Whatever, anyway I was only saying that both are from space and aren't human which could place them in the "space animals" term. Really Earthworm Jim is a space invertebrate. Only reason I said anything about Wolf is because he is a space animal that I wouldn't mind seeing in Brawl as to relate to what I said before.

Earthworm Jim is too cheesy and lame IMO like most american comics. He says stuff like "Groovy!" or "Whoa, Nelly!". He doesn't really fit into Brawl. They might as well put in the X-Men, Hulk, Batman/Robin, or Superman characters in Brawl while we are at it... Earthworm Jim was in Clay Fighters 1/3 which works for his type of character I guess cause it had alot of humor. Also, Jim's new game coming out isn't even on Nintendo anyway it is Sony's PSP so why would they want to promote it with Jim on Brawl??? Isn't Earthworm Jim a 3rd party char or atleast to where nintendo doesn't own him? He was on Sega, PC, and some other stuff with afew games besides the SNES verison. They also had a crappy American cartoon for kids about Earthworm Jim which reminded me ALOT of the crappy American Buzzlightyear cartoon made later both were cancelled if you seen any of either one. So I think that is enough to kill EWJ and any chance for Brawl you think he might have.

"I win! :D"
Quoted from T-major for the Truth. Lmao

T-major

Smash Champion
Earthworm Jim is too chessy and lame IMO like most american comics.
first off, Wolf and Jim are from complely different games. Wolf Getting in would have NO effect on Jim AT ALL. second, he's not a comic book character, he was in Video games first. that alone makes everything you said related to comics null and void. third, he's not cheesy and/or lame; he's funny, unique, and original.. theres a big difference you know... lastly, his Cartoon is commonly regarded as one the greatest cartoons based on a video game ever made; so it's not "crappy", you just don't have a sence of humor.

so your right "I win! :D".

RVD_fan

Smash Ace
first off, Wolf and Jim are from complely different games. Wolf Getting in would have NO effect on Jim AT ALL. second, he's not a comic book character, he was in Video games first. that alone makes everything you said related to comics null and void. third, he's not cheesy and/or lame; he's funny, unique, and original.. theres a big difference you know... lastly, his Cartoon is commonly regarded as one the greatest cartoons based on a video game ever made; so it's not "crappy", you just don't have a sence of humor.

If you find earthworm Jim funny, you must be about three, and it's his performance in the game that decides whether he's in or not, not how funny he is in his TV show (which is good, because he isn't funny at all)

Aeramis

Smash Ace
If you find earthworm Jim funny, you must be about three, and it's his performance in the game that decides whether he's in or not, not how funny he is in his TV show (which is good, because he isn't funny at all)
LOL and highly agreed.

so it's not "crappy", you just don't have a sence of humor.
What RVD_fan said.

To T-major: Your Sigs Pic says it all. Hulk FTL... Anyway, I never said Wolf and Jim had anything to do with each other. I just used that as an add-on (meaning related but off topic: "We already have enough >space animals<. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Wolf->instead of Earthworm Jim<- from Star Fox in Brawl as long as he doesn't use any of the same movesets of Fox/Falco." ) from my 1st post which you didn't seem to pick up on. I don't need to say much more as everything I said in my other post which is 100% true and Earthworm Jim has no chance in hell to make it to brawl which is what this topic is about. So, EWJ loses and everything his supporters said is null/void. Might as well let this thread die.

T-major

Smash Champion
listen, just because you don't have a sense of humor, that dosn't give you the right to insult me. and if his performance in the game is whats important, then that makes me support him even more. his games are awsome, and have so much to make a unique and fun to use Moveset.

yes, I know that Jim won't be in, regardless of the fact that he deserves it. I still want him in; why? because he would be a fun and original character! now tell me, how is that a bad thing!? I think a character would be interesting, and then people critisize me for it?.. it makes no sense! when the hell did that way of thinking become excepted!? did I miss a meeting? I don't even know why I bother to argue with you. you don't like Earthworm Jim, so your obviously too stupid to understand any type of reasonable arguement....

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
No, i don't see it fighting with great characters such as link, mario, snake... no. Why don't you want a clay fighter for wii? it's better than have him on SSBB

Lightshade

Smash Ace
See, I would expect to see him more than, say, another pokemon. Nintendo has been known to throw completely new characters into this franchise. Last time I checked, Earthworm Jim has only been on Nintendo systems; this could work.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
See, I would expect to see him more than, say, another pokemon. Nintendo has been known to throw completely new characters into this franchise. Last time I checked, Earthworm Jim has only been on Nintendo systems; this could work.
Actually, another Pokemon has priority over EWJ (Pokemon is 1st party, EWJ is 3rd), and he has been on other consoles. But yes, he could work, and he could EASILY fit in with a unique moveset. How unique? name me another character who could have a moveset based on throwing cows.

it certainly is a better idea than Geno.
~Tera253~
No, it is NOT.

Moo2

Smash Cadet
i support EWJ 100%

Why? He has been on the GB, GBA, N64, NES(im not sure tho), SNES... which is about every previous system nintendo has made... was there pokemon for the SNES? (really? i dont know)

anyways, we need a 'WTF' character for brawl... like MGAW for melee, and ness (although im sure other people did) i never expected

also
MOVESET
B=gun
<>B=whip
VB= change gun type (or transform into a blind cave salamander)
/\B= Throw whip up, if it grabs someone, throws jim up, if not, turns into lassoe and floats at a 50 degree angle

ground air attacks would be strong punches and kicks
air attacks would be kung fu
smashes would be whips
grabs would have a long range because he whips them to grab them where they are

Target--------Jim you would have to hit the opponent from a certain distance, but they would stay in place, and whip takes 25 frames to take out, and 30 frames to pull back

SEE? he actually does have a creative moveset

and for those of you who say he uses the whip too much, the marth, roy, link, YL, Metaknight, Pit, and maybe Snake uses a knife/sword too much

Moo2

Smash Cadet
if you step back and think about the facts (no opinions), there is probably a 25% chance of him making it... add in opinions, i'd say 30%, because nobody expected him (as stated before)... why do you guys not take this seriously? its not like he is beavis or butthead... he had many more games on nintendo than most other people already in brawl, so there is a third party MORE related than snake

whatever... its not like we actually decide who is going to be in brawl...

doesnt mean i don't support Jim

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
This..is the most intergalacticaly huge peice of **** topic i have ever read....

I'm very serious..
I'd agree, but maybe for another reason. This topic turned into a big I HATE HIM thing. What the crap? It's not about if YOU like him, it's about discussing the possibility of adding Jim. That's what people forget here. It's not about the fact whether or not he should be in, it's about discussing the character in general. Don't take in your bias or other loads of crap.

Jim does have a chance of being in. People who think Jim was first a cartoon are bunch of idiotic morons, and people who say the Jim cartoons are ********, let me tell you something.

Remember when you liked cartoons from your youth? Sometimes you still do. I still do. I remember the Captain N series. Those are cheesy, but I would still enjoy them. I also still enjoy the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I remember the Pac-Man cartoons, I still watch Scooby Doo whenever I see it on TV, I even enjoy the "cheesy" Two Stupid Dogs (BALL! FOOD!).

So stop with this "the cartoons are cheesy" idiocy. So what if people love the cheesyness? It doesn't help in your advantage.

We shouldn't speculate on whether or not he could be in. We should discuss the potential movesets here, even though we "know" he is unlikely. Seriously, bashing is as pointless as discussing with racists about racial issues. You can try to enforce your opinion, but it's worth jack to the other.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'd agree, but maybe for another reason. This topic turned into a big I HATE HIM thing. What the crap? It's not about if YOU like him, it's about discussing the possibility of adding Jim. That's what people forget here. It's not about the fact whether or not he should be in, it's about discussing the character in general. Don't take in your bias or other loads of crap.
You sir, win teh internets.

Remember when you liked cartoons from your youth? Sometimes you still do. I still do. I remember the Captain N series. Those are cheesy, but I would still enjoy them. I also still enjoy the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I remember the Pac-Man cartoons, I still watch Scooby Doo whenever I see it on TV, I even enjoy the "cheesy" Two Stupid Dogs (BALL! FOOD!).

I remember Two Stupid Dogs. It died along with good original cartoon shows.

Amaggad

Smash Apprentice
just no..,he is a worm.. that would just ruin it we have great characters like mario and link..earthworm jim would just ruin it

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Again, since when do we care about "just no"?

And since when does "he's a worm" count in your advantage?

Remember, it's the size of your worm that counts.

Jim does have a chance of being in. People who think Jim was first a cartoon are bunch of idiotic morons, and people who say the Jim cartoons are ********, let me tell you something.

So stop with this "the cartoons are cheesy" idiocy. So what if people love the cheesyness? It doesn't help in your advantage.

We shouldn't speculate on whether or not he could be in. We should discuss the potential movesets here, even though we "know" he is unlikely. Seriously, bashing is as pointless as discussing with racists about racial issues. You can try to enforce your opinion, but it's worth jack to the other.
I agree...I wasn't talking about the Earth Worm Jim support,i was talking about the crap people posted in this topic.It's worse than the Krystal thread*currently getting worse*.

But to be truthful,i don't really support Earthworm...nor do i support any 3rd party characters for that matter.

Tera253

Smash Ace
(in response to Tera253 saying EWJ>Geno
No, it is NOT.
*acts like a toddler agruing her cause* Yes, it IS!!! *folds arms and pouts*

Geno sux. see sig for details.

back on topic, Tera practically GREW UP with Earthworm Jim. that'd be such a brilliant idea!

~Tera253~

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
*acts like a toddler agruing her cause* Yes, it IS!!! *folds arms and pouts*

Geno sux. see sig for details.

back on topic
Agreed, let's save Geno for the proper thread

Tera practically GREW UP with Earthworm Jim. that'd be such a brilliant idea!

~Tera253~
Dude, every kid I know (personally) did! I'll try a quick B moveset:

B - Plasma Gun- Shoots out a quick 5% combo. Mash B to get the combo up to 25%

Foward / Back B - WOAH NELLY!- Jim pulls out his pocket rocket and zooms foward. You can control the tilt while you are going. Chargable for more distance, etc.

Up B - Copter - Jim uses his trademark chopter head :) Nice combo

Down B - Marbles - The collectible item from EWJ 3D, he spreads them across the ground and opponents trip if they walk over them

Super Smash Aattack - EAT COW! - It starts raining cows. 30% a cow

NOTE: jim has a ranged grab where Snott comes out of his bag and brings enemies to him a la Link/Samus

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I agree...I wasn't talking about the Earth Worm Jim support,i was talking about the crap people posted in this topic.It's worse than the Krystal thread*currently getting worse*.

But to be truthful,i don't really support Earthworm...nor do i support any 3rd party characters for that matter.
At least your opinion is stated as an opinion, and a justified one.

Anyway, about the WOAH NELLY! one, in Clay Fighter 63 1/3, he inflated himself and rolled as a ball. I think the rocket is just a bit too invasive. Remember, the rocket can basically go with the speed of light, it could reach the end of the snow-globe.

I would also like to see Snott in the moveset. In Earthworm Jim 2, Snott has been featured and has been an essential part of the team (and the suit, basically).

Moo2

Smash Cadet
you forget teh whip!!!

EWJ 1, remember? whip for damage and latch on to hooks

Moo2

Smash Cadet
Ah ha!

anyways... why will his grabs be like? toss them like a frisbee with his head?

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Allright well I have a few things to say about Earthworm Jim as a possiblility for Brawl.
Now I would love to see him in the game I am a big fan of the EWJ games and if Solid Snake is in than EWJ should definetly be. Another reason why he should be in the game is when you think about it he hasn't had a game in a while and if a star from the past makes it then you get some attention because people want to see some childhood hereos and that could get them to possibly get a new game out because EWJ could get publicity and the series may come back to life.
I'm all for the 3rd party now that Snake is in there because Snake had 1 game for a Nintendo console and he helps the SONY market more.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
A few tidbits for thought... and perhaps action.

(Please excuse me if this is a bad place for such a huge post, but I deemed the amount of important info just a bit lacking for a major new thread. If any moderator feels it should be moved, or used as a new thread, by all means move it and/or let me know. Thanks.)

...So after multiple attempts at contacting multiple people, I've got a little bit of info for ya. Too bad it's the wrong guy for the job, but interesting none-the-less.

Basically I contacted Michael Persson, the studio head for Shiny Entertainment, and thinking they still fully owned the Earthworm Jim character, I asked him what he thought about contacting Nintendo regarding the inclusion of EWJ in SSBB. Well, I'll just show you the series of e-mails we sent. Keep in mind the first of these are a few weeks old now. They are as follows:

"Subject: How about Earthworm Jim in Super Smash Brothers Brawl?

Dear Mr. Persson,

Hi there, my name is Lava [here I used my real name]. I guess I could go about this in a more professional way, but may I ask what your thoughts are on including Shiny's character Earthworm Jim in Nintendo's upcoming new fighter game Super Smash Brothers Brawl? I'm sure you've heard of it, and if you haven't, it's one of the most highly anticipated games for 2007. (It could be the very end of the year, or even some time in 2008 in all reality, so it's not too late to consider.)

Some big news has been revealed. Third party characters are now possible candidates. Konami's Solid Snake has already been announced. There are many Earthworm Jim fans out there who would absolutely go nuts if Earthworm Jim were to make the roster. Would it be possible to talk to Nintendo about this possibility? Do you, or Shiny as a whole, think this would be a good idea? Earthworm Jim is one of the few non-Japanese video game characters that are known worldwide, and Smash Brothers would greatly benefit from the diversity Earthworm Jim would bring.

I understand that you could not tell me if Earthworm Jim were planned for the roster even if he already was, as Nintendo announces such things on it's own schedule, but it would mean so much to me if you would even respond telling me what you think about all of this.

I think Shiny is a great studio, and what better way to advertise for upcoming Earthworm Jim games than to have the star character in a game that without a doubt, nearly every Nintendo Wii owner will buy and play non-stop.

Thank you for your thoughts and time.

Merely a fan,

Lava [real name here]"

His reply is as follows: (short and sweet)

"That is a great idea! Unfortunately, we don't own the right to EWJ anymore. When Shiny was sold, Interplay retained those rights, so you need to write them to suggest the cross-over.

Michael"

Great! I have contact, now can I get a little bit more information?

My response as follows:

Hey thanks a million for the response and the heads up, I had no idea. I can't help but ask, (and I didn't intentionally set out to suck up your spare time) could you point me in the right direction as far as contact info goes? Would you happen to know someone's e-mail address who might actually be interested in this, or give it a second thought? This was the only e-mail I could dig up, and sending a paper letter probably wouldn't help much.

support@interplay.com

Well, after a bit of reading, I'm not even sure Interplay exists anymore. Does Titus Interactive still have any part in this picture? Again, any word of advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Lava [real name here]

(These were the addresses I found on the Interplay website somewhere.)

Business Address
1682 LANGLEY AVE
IRVINE CA 92614

Mailing Address
1682 LANGLEY AVE
IRVINE CA 92614"

He seems to have missed this one; no response. However... my next message as follows:

"Subject: It's Lava [real name here] again, one quick question.

(About EWJ again)

Could you point me in the right direction about contacting Interplay? I realize you may have nothing to do with them anymore, but I'm sure you have good contacts.

Have a better e-mail address then " support@interplay.com"?

Thanks so much.

-Lava [real name here]"

His response as follows:

"Sorry, I don't have any contacts left at Interplay. In fact, I don't believe that they are doing any development anymore, just licensing. I'd love to help, but I just don't have any insight into Interplay anymore.

Michael"

Well, tough luck for me, but I'm glad he answered my questions and I'm sure I thanked him later. Not satisfied I kept on e-mailing people. For some reason I decided to email Foundation 9. My letter as follows:

"Subject: 1 question for a bit research...

Hello, my name is Lava [real name here]. I'm not sure who I should be addressing, but
this is my question. Does Foundation 9 have rights to the Earthworm Jim
character, or is it still Interplay? Perhaps Atari? Could you please point
me in the right direction?

I've already contacted Michael Persson of Shiny Entertainment, but other than mentioning that Interplay retained the rights when they sold Shiny, he
didn't seem to know.

Thank you so much for your time.

Merely a fan,

-Lava [real name here]

(I'd be more than willing to share the reason as to why I'm looking into
this, but I'd like to first see how responsive your "PR" is.)"

Nicole Tanner's (public relations) response as follows:

"Hi Lava [real name here],

Atari retains the rights to Earthworm Jim as a gaming franchise. Foundation 9 no longer has any right to it."

Well, that's that. Atari owns Earthworm Jim and I've been bombarding every Atari related e-mail address I can scrape up. U.S., U.K., even France. So far no responses. Oh, and I had also been trying Interplay priorly, but to no response. About waiting a few weeks to post these, well, I wanted to wait until I had some better news from Atari, but alas, I think I may need the help of the Smash community to get through on this one.

If anyone truly cares about whether or not EWJ makes it into the game, now's the time to start flooding some e-mail in-boxes. This also goes for any other third party character. I think it's much better to contact third parties and urge them to contact Nintendo. Trying to contact Nintendo about something like this is like trying to contact a rock... a rock that hates you.

Thanks guys, I hope you at least had a decent little read. Peace.

-Lava

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
Ok....

Simple reason why Earthworm Jim will never appear in super smash brothers brawl.

He originated as a cartoon before he was ever in a game.

end of discussion. :p

Top Bottom