• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Earthbounders for Brawl (the official thread)

dan smith

Smash Champion
...because I'm just THIS much of a tool, AND, because Earthbound is TOTALLY gnarly, here it is: The "let's talk about Earthbound characters in Super Smash Brothers: Brawl" official speculation thread.

Only three words can start this thread off properly: Jeff, Paula, and Poo.

Why wouldn't they be included? Nintendo hatin' on their own intellectual property? Lack of franchise loyalty? It's been two games now, Super Mario's got roughly five or six characters going and Earthbounds only got one.

Neglect? Imbalance? Racism?

Discuss.

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking about those additional costumes.

Ness Costumes (Should be in the alternate costume topic, but WTH?):
Normal
Pajamas
Robot

Anyways, they need to put in another Earthbound character. They've got to put in another Earthbound character.

I bet if they do, they'll most likely put in Paula since she was the second person to join your party in the game, but I'd really enjoy playing as Jeff. He just looks like a fun character to play as.

B: Gaia Beam (Super Scope that shoots Samus's Charge Shots)
Foward-B: Bottle Rocket (Homing)
Smash-Foward-B: Heavy Bazooka (Fast)
Up-B: Jet Pack (Could work like Bowser's Fire Breath, except it charges back up when you land or grab the edge)
Down-B: Super Bomb (Link's bomb, except it's active until an enemy runs into it, and only Jeff and your ally can pick it up and throw it without being touched)

I'll be content with any Earthbound charcter, though, even Pokey. :)

Night2o1

Smash Rookie
Jeff could be a pretty fun character. I can't imagine what they could do with Paula to differentiate her from Ness, or with Poo that would differentiate him from, well, any generic fighter-character.

Though overall, I have a hard time imagining what other character from EB could be put into SSBB. I'll just be happy if Ness is in it again! (he isn't confirmed yet, right?)

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
If nothing else, there should be random enemies from the game wandering around in the background of the Earthbound stage(s). I mean, Annoying Revelers, Cranky Ladies, and Putrid Moldymen just walking around next to the battles would be pretty cool.

Although what would be even better is if a new playable character was added from the cast of Mother 3, the newest Earthbound game. There is no North American release date for it yet, but it would be pretty sweet if Nintendo put in one the characters from it to create some hype before they announce it or release it.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Paula can be a variation on Ness: more telekinetic abilities and less physical prowess.

Jeff has a wealth of devices he can employ and Poo has killer martial arts, swordsmanship, as well as teleportation and a mirroring capability.

I vote for all four.

2_Percent

Smash Ace
if that's true, that really sucks. he's one of the originals from the 64.
they better have some kind of earthbound representation

dan smith

Smash Champion
I'm very intrested in knowing whether this claim is valid.

I don't really see the point in removing him, and, pretty much think this can't be true.

Can you get us a source on that cless-mint?

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
If they need a Mother 3 character, Flint is my choice. A cowboy dude that attacks with a stick. I mean, How cool is that?
Also, my brother suggested Pokey Minch inside his mecha-spider (from the last battle of Earthbound).

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
If Paula is in the game Ness might give her PK Fire and PK Thunder since those are her moves after all. But Ness could use PK Gamma and PK Teleport then! Paula would be a good add, another gir, another Earthbound character, and Ness's UpB would improve! It's like killing three birds with one stone!

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
Currently, chances are that Lucas and Claus are gonna make it in from Mother 3. I'm not sure where the source was, but that's what I heard.

If anything, Ness's Super Move will definitely be Psi Rockin Omega.

I'll have a moveset for Jeff later.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Duster FTW! I wanna hit people with giant wall-staples (Ladder rungs, whatever!) Plus he is very different from all the other Earthbound-types (He's closest to Jeff, who is different in his own right).

But yeah. Duster for Top Tier! :laugh:

handy

Smash Apprentice
Kumatora would be nice to include instead of Paula. She's from Mother 3, plus she has pink hair. We already had too many blondes in SSBM (Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Samus).

dan smith

Smash Champion
Who cares about hair colour? Mother 3 hasn't even come out yet...I think there's something strange with including characters that nobody knows.

Same thing with Lucas and Claus.

...and no, there isn't any sort of information that indicates they will be in Brawl. The only time they were mentioned was in a badly translated section of the lead devellopers poll on which characters to adopt, a poll that included many strange and rediculous choices.

I say they should put in the characters from the past games before throwing in ones from the future.

handy

Smash Apprentice
They included Roy and nobody knew about him before (heck, his Fire Emblem game was released like 4 months after SSBM). Plus Mother 3 is already out (at least in Japan) so that's NOT a future game (just because it hasn't come outside Japan doesn't mean that stuff from that game shouldn't be added, in Melee the music tunes in Onett are from the original Mother). I still vote for Kumatora over Paula, she fights with gloves instead of a frying pan, which is something more badass. However I would be surprised to see both or at least one of them included. What an impossible dream... :(

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
I can only see Claus making it in as a clone since if they pull from his own moves in the game of Mother 3, they basically spoil big chunks of the plot to everyone who hasn't played it yet. That being the majority of us.

If Lucas can make it in, then he better **** play as something outside of a Ness clone.

Duster FTW! I wanna hit people with giant wall-staples (Ladder rungs, whatever!) Plus he is very different from all the other Earthbound-types (He's closest to Jeff, who is different in his own right).
SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME! Duster's perfect for Smash Bros. I mean, the guy fights by kicking people (even though he has a strange affliction with his legs plus when you walk around with him in the game, he sorta limps.) and I can see him pinning people to walls with his Wall Staple, putting to sleep with his Hypnosis Ring, and blocking their sight with Smoke Bombs. And that's just three of the items he uses. (The guy doesn't use PSI so he makes up for that with a variety of theif gadgets)

Who cares about hair colour? Mother 3 hasn't even come out yet...I think there's something strange with including characters that nobody knows.
It's out in Japan at least and there IS talk about a UK release as well so I wouldn't think of it as too much a stretch. But like I said, if it's getting a UK release then most people will not be happy if they had a big piece of the story spoiled right before them and that's pretty much what Claus would do if he's implemented as something other than a Ness (or possibly Lucas if he makes it in too) clone.

EDIT: BTW, about this talk of no Ness.....I'm sure he's thinking about Melee. Sakurai talked about Melee ditching Ness instead for Lucas from the 64 version of Mother 3 but we all know that was cancelled and why include a character from a cancelled game? Also Ness got some really good press after being included in the first game so Sakurai changed his mind and brought him back. I see no reason to kick him or at least ANYONE from the original 64's cast list off for Brawl as that would be pretty lame.

AsuraWeapon

Smash Cadet
i haven't played Mother 3, so...

Poo- Starstorm, martial arts, and the Sword of Kings... (maybe a copy enemy tactics ability too?)
Paula- psychic attacks, the Super Plush Teddy Bear, and praying that causes herself healing or strikes nearby people... (perhaps a PSI HP leech of some sort?)
Jeff- physical attacks, mechanical weapon attacks, bottle rockets, and reflecting shield too...
Pokey- beats me... lol... i'd just love to see Pokey...

and a Starman Deluxe... (even though they're supposed to be like 30 ft tall... lol)

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I believe the Starman forces are human sized despite what the game's cover art tries to make you think. :laugh:

Neo_Morphix

Smash Cadet
handy said:
They included Roy and nobody knew about him before (heck, his Fire Emblem game was released like 4 months after SSBM). Plus Mother 3 is already out (at least in Japan) so that's NOT a future game (just because it hasn't come outside Japan doesn't mean that stuff from that game shouldn't be added, in Melee the music tunes in Onett are from the original Mother). I still vote for Kumatora over Paula, she fights with gloves instead of a frying pan, which is something more badass. However I would be surprised to see both or at least one of them included. What an impossible dream... :(
What's happening with everyone here!!!??? Mother 3 is a great game and as handy says it HAS already been released in Japan, and that's where they make the game you know. Mother 3 charas would be absolutely great, but of course they should not forget good'ol Mother 2 characters, and also, what about Ninten :confused: :confused: ????

I vote for Ninten, Poo, Paula, Flint (Why hasn't anyone mention him but Tomasiarity?(lol))and his wife for the characters to enter Brawl. :)

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I'd like to see more enemies myself. Jeff would be awesome yes, but I'd like to see Starman and Pokey. And maybe Master Belch/Puke as an unplayable character, y'know a boss. :)

cless-mint said:
I'd hate to burst you guys bubble, but Shigeru said that Ness may not be in the game. Don't remember the sources as I'm looking for it now, but he said that last E3 when he announced what was then Super Smash Bros. Revolution.
Proof? Otherwise I think you're thinking of SSBM.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
NINTEN? Uh let me point out something I read at Starmen.net regarding that:

You know, of all the candidates for Ness clone, the worst one would be Ninten. Seriously, he has no attack PSI whatsoever, so it'd be like SSB!Ness was back. About the only inventive thing (aside from "LOL, let's give him all the PSI Ana learned!") they could do with him would be to have his B-up attack be 4-D slip.

parvus

Smash Apprentice
well i dont kno much bout earthbound, but i would definetely 100% want to see another earthbounder, coz there's only 1 character and item from the series

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
New Items:

Toothbrush

It makes your smile so shiny and white that the other characters are stunned when they look at it.

The Bubble Monkey

High damage thrown weapon. When you throw him, he floats down slowly on his bubblegum.

Franklin Badge

Makes the next energy-based attack bounce off of you.

dan smith

Smash Champion
That's very true about Roy's inclusion, his game hadn't been released, I forgot about that.

A better point to make, than the one I made before, is that I think they should include all of the four main characters from Earthbound before including a character from Earthbound 2 (Mother 3).

Otherwise, maybe they shouldn't include any of the other characters from Earthbound and just the main from Mother 3. It's just impossible to choose between Paula, Jeff, and Poo. Really I think Poo would make the best character but he's also the last character you get in Earthbound.

...and yeah, I thought Starmen were human sized.

An Earthbound Adventure level would be tight, Starmen and UFOs...

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
Dan smith has made his 2,100th post. Congratulations. :)

Yes, and I agree, an Earthbound adventure level would kick anus. All the Earthbound enemies could play into it, and Pokey in his spider mech could be the final boss with Giygas in the background doing random attacks.

In fact, every character should have a game specific adventure level. I hated how Bowser was the final boss everytime. They've gotta do something like what I just mentioned (you know, about game specific adventure levels).

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
I just want to bring up something a little something I missed before:

Flint (Why hasn't anyone mention him but Tomasiarity?(lol))and his wife for the characters to enter Brawl
Flint's wife, Hinawa, is impossible to choose as a playable Smash Bros. character. I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say that she's never playable in the game of Mother 3 itself and leave it at that.

Yeah, I've been nitpicking alot regarding the characters from this game, but I can't help it. That's just how I am sometimes.

EDIT: And although the people of this thread aren't exactly showing it much, there are indeed more EB fans that want a playable, 2x4 swinging Flint than you think. Personally, I have no clue as to what his B moves would be as he learns no PSI and all of his attacks seem to be basic variety. (He has moves that attack all enemies, have a 50/50 chance of either delivering a critical hit or missing entirely, raises attack and raises defense) It would surprise me to say the least in seeing how he's implemented.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I haven't been playing video games much for quite a few months. (I haven't been playing at all except for smashing on rare occasions)

I should get Mother3 and become educated.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yes, about time a thread started on this.

Personally, I don't think Jeff would work all that well...I mean...he has absolutely no close range physical tricks he can use. I can't imagine him doing kicking and punching and headbutting attacks like Ness...but if perhaps he had some short range weapons for his A attacks, it would work. Here's my moveset for Jeff:

Forward B: bottle rocket- you can hold B to charge it up for more power, but if you hold it for too long, the bottle explodes and Jeff is blown up into the air. He doesn't take damage, but if he is on high %, then he WILL be KO'd. Any enemy caught in the Bottle rocket's Self Destruct explosion gets a massive knockback and about...oooh, 25 damage? In the air, this move makes Jeff "float" for a while, therefore allowing him to use the self destruct for recovery purposes.

B: heavy bazooka- A bit like Yoshi's eggs. The longer you hold B, the higher Jeff aims. Hold B for too long and Jeff puts the bazooka away without firing. About the same damage and knockback as Samus's strong missiles and it fires in a straight trajectory and the actual projectile moves quite fast. However, just tapping B to fire a horizontal shot has reasonable (fair) startup time.

Up B: sheild breaker- (or a different name so as not to be like Marth's SB, it's the item Jeff makes out of a pipe) Jeff jumps throught he air while swinging his sheild breaker in a dolphin slash style ark. The thing is, this gets very little vertical distance, mostly horizontal, making it a poor recovery ability on its own, but coupled with the bottle rocket self destruct, it would allow Jeff to recover in a reverse Luigi fashion. This attack does very little damage but has the same sheild breaking ability as a fan smash attack. (maybe that's a little bit broken, perhaps the same sheild breaking ability as a fan f-tilt then).

Down B: HP sucker- Jeff takes out the weapon (with the startup time of Mewtwo's disable attack) and fires a short ranged electricity beam in front of him. Oh hit, the beam shocks and combos the target for about 13% damage and gives the HP to Jeff as well as knocking the target back in a similar trajectory to Fox's shine. When this move is sheilded or doged, the lag time is really bad, therefore it's not a broken move. In the air, this move makes Jeff fall like a rock, so it can't be used like Fox's shine.

Super attack: Hungry Hungry HP sucker-like the HP sucker, only it hits at long range, targets all characters on screen, and distributes 31% damage between all of them and gives it to Jeff. This means that in one on one battles, this move does 31% to the opponent every time and heals Jeff immensly.

However, I think that I'd rather see Paula.

Forward B: PSI fire- like Ness's PK fire but instead of comboing, this attack blows the opponent up into the air. Can KO.

B: PSI freeze-it charges in a similar fashion to Sheik's needles (but cannot be stored) and when fired, it only travels a short distance. However, on hit, the move freezes the opponent (no damage, but when fully charged, it can get an easy star KO) even uncharged, this move will prop the opponent up high in the air for Paula to toy with. Yes, yes, I know that in Earthbound, PSI freeze was a very powerful move, but hey, they changed PK flash to do damage, so I think that a no-damage freeze attack is justified.

Up B: PSI thunder-yeah, yeah, I honestly can't think of anything better for Paula. It should be Ness's old PK thunder, yes, the one that can easilly cancel people's second jumps and gives a really good boost for recovery.

Down B: PSI sheild-rather than absorb energy attacks, it could absorb energy attacks and then deal GUARANTEED damage to the target like it does in the game. Say Mario shoots a fireball at you, and you use this move, then instantly you see Mario get burned as if he just hit himself with a fireball. That would work nicely, I think.

Super attack: Psi thunder omega: I imagine it to be something like those Japanese robot homing lasers that you see on Gundam anime sometimes. You know, the cool ones that make a funny noise and all these stringy beams of light swarm the target and...yeah, but with thunderballs instead.

Poo is also a possibility, although I honestly don't like him much.

Same moveset as Paula above, because he uses mostly the same PSI as her. Because Poo can get a secret weapon called the King's Sword, his smash attack could involve this sword. His super attack would definately be PSI starstorm. Definately.

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
NESSBOUNDER said:
Yes, about time a thread started on this.

Personally, I don't think Jeff would work all that well...I mean...he has absolutely no close range physical tricks he can use. I can't imagine him doing kicking and punching and headbutting attacks like Ness...but if perhaps he had some short range weapons for his A attacks, it would work.
I sort of imagined him using some kind of broken spark plug for 1 or 2 of his A attacks, maybe a F-Smash like Pichu's, but a little weaker and with more range?
I mean, Fox didn't really have any close ranged attacks before HE first came into Smash, and look where HE ended up. You see what I'm saying?

I'll probably have my moveset up for Jeff later today.

Top Bottom