• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Earthbound/Mother Discussion Thread

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
There's a dream come true right above there.

I'll believe any new Mother game, or collection or remake when I see it. The Amazon listing is almost certainly simply the result of bad research - someone at Amazon caught wind of the hype about 'Earthbound coming to the Wii U' but didn't get it meant a Virtual Console release rather than an actual new game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sorry to unnecessarily bump this, but I just feel like getting this off my chest.

So I've called myself a big Nintendo fan for a long time now, and honestly, I've played nearly all the classics either way, so it might not be completely unjustified.

However, as much as I claimed I had played the greatest games of all-time, I hadn't, and I found this in what was previously to me a low-tier cult franchise that was present in Smash Bros.

Today I finished Earthbound, and it's the game I've played which has left the biggest impact on me ever. I'm absolutely speechless, it's rare that I leave a game where I feel both satisfaction and some kind of sadness at once. I'm glad that I went on the journey, but I'm sad that it has ended. It's already incredibly hard to get me very emotionally invested in a game, but I gotta admit, when all the photos that had been taken throughout the game were sliding at the credits at the end, I became teary-eyed.

I finally get the praise now, and I'm onwards to Mother 3!

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to unnecessarily bump this, but I just feel like getting this off my chest.

So I've called myself a big Nintendo fan for a long time now, and honestly, I've played nearly all the classics either way, so it might not be completely unjustified.

However, as much as I claimed I had played the greatest games of all-time, I hadn't, and I found this in what was previously to me a low-tier cult franchise that was present in Smash Bros.

Today I finished Earthbound, and it's the game I've played which has left the biggest impact on me ever. I'm absolutely speechless, it's rare that I leave a game where I feel both satisfaction and some kind of sadness at once. I'm glad that I went on the journey, but I'm sad that it has ended. It's already incredibly hard to get me very emotionally invested in a game, but I gotta admit, when all the photos that had been taken throughout the game were sliding at the credits at the end, I became teary-eyed.

I finally get the praise now, and I'm onwards to Mother 3!
This is exactly me a few months ago when I played through Earthbound for the first time. I think the emotional impact the game has on people is one of the reasons why it's so popular.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Also some bigs news about the fan-made game in progress, Mother 4 is coming on August 13th, so I'll be sure to update on that. Their website is mother4.andonuts.net

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not sure how I feel about a Mother 4 fan-game. I feel like there's a reason Itoi decided to wrap it up as a trilogy, it really just feels complete as it is. Still, I'll probably give it a try either way.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm not sure how I feel about a Mother 4 fan-game. I feel like there's a reason Itoi decided to wrap it up as a trilogy, it really just feels complete as it is. Still, I'll probably give it a try either way.
Yeah, the story is complete, but it's more of reliving the awesome features of the franchise such as absurd enemies, rolling damage meter, and etc.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Also some bigs news about the fan-made game in progress, Mother 4 is coming on August 13th, so I'll be sure to update on that. Their website is mother4.andonuts.net
They never confirmed that the game was coming out on August 13th, they just said the site would post some more information.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
They never confirmed that the game was coming out on August 13th, they just said the site would post some more information.
Sorry I worded it weird, I meant the game in progress has big news, could be a trailer, a demo, release date, etc. Sorry though...

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Looking forward to Mother 4. Earthbound is the most influential game in my life (yes, I'm being serious). Beat the game for the 7th time last week on Wii U, and I'm tempted to play through it again.

Really have to thank my brother in law for this game when he brought the game one night when I was 4. I was so excited to play it even though I had no idea what the game was about.
Wasn't until 2nd grade that I really delve into the game.

'Tis the reason I main Ness in Smash Bros (along with Kirby).

Anyways, anyone think Nintendo will finally bring Mother 3 stateside officially? Earthbound seems to be really well received. Itoi also seems to be showing up a lot in interviews and prominent on the net recently.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Looking forward to Mother 4. Earthbound is the most influential game in my life (yes, I'm being serious). Beat the game for the 7th time last week on Wii U, and I'm tempted to play through it again.

Really have to thank my brother in law for this game when he brought the game one night when I was 4. I was so excited to play it even though I had no idea what the game was about.
Wasn't until 2nd grade that I really delve into the game.

'Tis the reason I main Ness in Smash Bros (along with Kirby).

Anyways, anyone think Nintendo will finally bring Mother 3 stateside officially? Earthbound seems to be really well received. Itoi also seems to be showing up a lot in interviews and prominent on the net recently.
Actually a really cool story. I would've probably main Ness actually too, but I'm just AWFUL with his Up-B recovery.

As for the Mother 3 part, at this point who the hell knows LMAO. I've been hearing rumors about how that Onett Times thing was created in order to announce a release for Mother 3, but I don't know how true that is. As far as I'm concerned, the game has been in english for 4 years now, just enjoy it.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Yeah, I played through some of the game and I think the translation team did a fabulous job. But I'd love to be able to play the game on 3DS or Wii U.

Even crazier- I really want them to remake the original MOTHER game, at least. If they don't feel safe about it selling well at retail just go digital only :3

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'd hope that if they remade Mother, they'd at least add an option for rebalancing of the game.

Seriously man, that was hard as hell. Or maybe I just sucked. But I'm pretty sure it's notorious for being difficult.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Actually Mother is more like badly made grindfest instead of a difficult game. You are not told where to go and everything is overleveled. Bad game.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Of the three Mother games, the first is the most difficult. Mother 2 suffers from that spike in difficulty when heading to Threed. That bump in difficulty comes out of nowhere.

@Galaga4991

I saw that awhile ago. Forgot about it... :(

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Actually Mother is more like badly made grindfest instead of a difficult game. You are not told where to go and everything is overleveled. Bad game.

That was kinda my impression of the game when I played it. Although eventually you do get some easy-mode grinding made available to you. But that's real late. =/

Also, enemies that explode without scrolling HP meters. The worst.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I love the Mother series so much even though the games are so heart-rending that I can't play them. They make me cry. Especially Mother 3. I didn't even make it past the sunflower scene without bawling. ;____________; Don't even get me started on the fight with Giygas in Earthbound and the ending. My heart simply can't take it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I recently completed Mother 1, the last game I completed in the series because of its infamous reputation, and it really deserves a remake. It has such a cool setting, the most iconic music in the series, a good story, and a very cool world. All put to waste by having to supergrind. It was released on the NES, and back then it was sadly the norm to make RPGs super grindy to expand the longevity of the game. I'd like to see it remade with today's game making principles, because it's really sad how the great potential is just floating in the air.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The game looks so official, that I want a Mother 4 rep for Smash 4 :(
If Itoi likes it, and considers it canon, it might happen for the 5th installment. Itoi has noticed it and also can't wait to see it finished. Then again many will still argue for another Mother rep

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Alright... I need some convincing. Without too much plot spoilers, I want you all to convince me why these games are any good. We all know how much I feel about Mother already, so this may be your chance to change my mind, although I'm skeptical. Tell me, what's so great about these games? :alien:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Alright... I need some convincing. Without too much plot spoilers, I want you all to convince me why these games are any good. We all know how much I feel about Mother already, so this may be your chance to change my mind, although I'm skeptical. Tell me, what's so great about these games? :alien:
Ok, usually when first hearing about the game, some people, even myself, found it uninteresting, the charm comes from playing it.
The game may all have something pertaining to one another, but most people play it in any order they want. Continuing from that, the "charm" is a somewhat different from each game. I've never played Mother 1, so I don't really know the feeling that comes from playing it, but I'll start with Earthbound, Mother 2.

Earthbound can be consider the RPG that makes front of traditional RPG's. This is shown by the random enemies, that most of the time make no sense in the story, and quirky dialogue from the NPCs. Sure, by the rating it's a "kids" game, but many parts of the game is riddled with adult themes, same goes for Mother 3, making it enjoyable for most players. An example of this, in game is, when you follow a seemingly suspicious lady in a hotel, whose sprite even looks like a prostitute by some adult gamers, and the lady soon lures you in a trap. The series is only likeable if you play it, as it draws you into the plot and humor of the game.

Mother 3 has some of the same feelings, but somewhat toned down. As Earthbound was more about the humor, Mother 3 is more about the plot. Without trying to spoil the game, all I can really say is it's theme is of a tragedy. With Lucas going through many troubles, you sympathize for him, since only being a kid with his life being ripped away from him and trying to stop it.There's not much you can say for the plot without spoiling some major details, so you'd really have to play it to know what's going on.

This is really as much as I can say why I like the series without spoilers. Other people to tell you their opinion, before your final decision.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
FFS Winter 2014?! Well, at least Smash 4 hopefully comes out at around that time. I know this team won't disappoint.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
We all know how you feel about Mother already do we? I don't, I have no idea how you feel about these games. If you've played them and didn't enjoy them then fair enough, not everybody can like the same thing. If you haven't played them then you have no place feeling anything about the series, go and play Earthbound (the best game to start with) and then come back with an opinion.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Anyways, the new gameplay trailer is up on the site, I also found out by Winter 2014, they meant the 4th quarter of the year, that somewhat sucks, but at least it's far in development.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I'd hope that if they remade Mother, they'd at least add an option for rebalancing of the game.

Seriously man, that was hard as hell. Or maybe I just sucked. But I'm pretty sure it's notorious for being difficult.
I thought the level grinding really made the game hard along with just how devastating the later game bosses were. I ended up having to use the Easy patch to make level grinding easier on my sanity.

Considering Itoi created the series with only the thought "I could do better" after playing Dragon Quest I, I'm not surprised that Mother follows that really grindy template.

I would be all for a remake of Mother with balanced features.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Mother 3 doesn't need a rebalance. It's definitely the easiest by far and doesn't require more grinding other than fighting most things you run into. The scrolling HP and the status buffs that you get access to can be stacked to make the boss fights no big deal, and enemies aren't too difficult otherwise.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Winter 2014... 2 years behind schedule. e.e

Hope it's worth the wait, it's looking good =D

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
First time venturing outside of the Project M forums, and it's nice to see the Mother series getting some love. I can't wait for Christmas when I can get a Wii U for EarthBound. I feel bad because I emulated all three games (well for Mother 1 I played Tomato's easy patch for Mother 1+2), though I was so utterly impressed with all of them that I have physical copies of both Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 even though they set me back lots of money. However I could never forgive myself for never being able to legally own EarthBound like the other 2 games :(

...so, from the bottom of my heart, thank you, Itoi, for being able to bring your first masterpiece over to Virtual Console here in the west. EarthBound and especially Mother 3 are two of my absolute favorite games of all time. :`-)

Also, if anyone's interested, here are some of my favorite analyses regarding EarthBound and Mother 3. ALL are long reads, however, so it'll take a while to get through all of them.

This is written by Patrick Roesle, aka Pitchfork, the guy who wrote a ton of interesting Final fantasy articles:

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=earthbound

The next two are written by the infamous Tim Rogers. You may know him as the guy whose 2 out of 4 stars review for Smash Bros. Brawl caused quite a stir around here way back in 2008. Though that review may be badly written (he only mentions the actual gameplay in, like, the very bottom, as he spends most of the review decrying how the concept of an all star fighter even exists), I assure you that, at least when he wants to be, he can be quite a fantastic reviewer, articulating precisely why a game is fantastic to many people. That last part makes me sad, however, because Tim Rogers nonetheless insists (and I mean INSISTS) on being an unlikeable a*****e and troll. So, while he is definitely not for everyone, the following two articles are, in my opinion, must reads for any Mother fan. Like with Pitchfork's article, however, they're both rather long and, in this case, walls of text. I assure you they're interesting walls of text, however.

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2 (this has my favorite theory on exactly why you can kill Giygas, btw)

http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=422 (written before Tomato's English patch was out, to give you some context)

If the links don't work, it's probably because I'm writing from mobile, so just copy and paste into the URL bar.

If you guys liked what you read, check out Pitchfork's Final Fantasy articles, as well as the rest of Action Button Dot Net. :D (sorry for the long post btw, I don't know how to do spoiler things on this website yet)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh Mother 3. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said by everyone, but it's got to be one of the greatest, most emotionally-stirring games of all time. It's one of those games that just sort of resonates with people that play it. I'm slowly forcing all my man-bro's to play it, so they can understand. It's working.

Frickin love this game. :Lucas:

Top Bottom