• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Exactly. LiquidKen expressed interest in the villager and Peachyhime wanted Greninja or Rosalina, so there's already discussion on working things out, which would be good.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Damn, I hadn't read the news. Holy **** did Nintendo go all out.

And they gave us wired controller support. Yeaaaa!!!

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking, and I've reached this conclusion: I'm going to view this not as a Competitive Smash Tournament, but as a Competitive Demonstration of Smash 4. I can't wait to see the chaos of a 4 player free for all with items on. We're not just seeing characters fight, we're seeing the items in action too.

Also, here's hoping someone picks up an assist trophy with Grey Fox/Raiden in it thus confirming Snake.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The metagame until the end of the tournament is who's going to get the best items.
While I agree that "true" competitive Smash is best played on select stages with no items, there is in fact a healthy meta-game involved with items that a lot of competitive Smash purists seem to ignore. With the exception of random explosions taking people out and the star man, every weapon has a strategy or an element of risk reward. This is especially true in a free for all. Great, I have a Pokeball! Do I throw it straight at the ground at my feet, guaranteeing that I own the Pokemon but having it spawn away from other players, or do I throw it towards them and risk having it be caught? I have a hammer! Who should I go after? If I grab it I have no recovery, and although I may get a few kills, if someone can avoid me and find an item to knock me off stage I'm down a stock. Dragoon parts spawning? I could get some kills if I complete it, but it is decently avoidable and I will take a lot of damage if all I do is fish for the parts.

Now, don't get me wrong, when I want to seriously test my skill against other players, I turn items off as they do add an element of randomness. I'm just saying that skilled players are skilled players, and that smart players can still use items to their advantage in a way that average players may not think of. I do completely expect one or two ridiculously unfair item KOs that may result in some saltiness.... but whatever, it's largely a "for fun" tournament anyway.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Can we now safely say that the hype we had fro Smash Brawl back then before its release has now fully returned for Smash Four and is now stronger than ever? The era of doubt is probably now a thing of the past...

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I'm not even mad about items being on, I want to see them all too. I just think that the first half of the tournament is going to be considerably different from the second half.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Concerning the invitational, I think it'd be cool if grand finals was planned to that right as the match ended we get a "challenger approaching" warning

juddy96

Smash Lord
After going through all 16 players' twitter, this is what I've come up with so far...

Toph: Greninja
KDJ: ???
Ken: Marth/Samus if Marth isn't available just to tick HugS off
Rapture: Wii Fit Trainer
HugS: Samus/Little Mac
Peachy: Rosalina/Greninja
Hungry: Villager/Rosalina/Greninja
Crismas: Little Mac
aMSa: Kirby/Newcomer
ZeRo: ???
PewPewU: Marth/Rosalina
Lilo: ???
DJNintendo: Bowser
MacD: Zelda
Milktea: Mega Man
Dr. PP: Marth/Greninja/Mega Man

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Mario, Link, Fox, Pikachu, DK, Pit, Sonic, Olimar.

^ Characters which no player has expressed interest in, to my knowledge. But half of them must be picked.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I have a feeling Zero might go after Fox or Pit.

If he were to try a newcomer though I think he would try Mac due to how Mac looks like a in your face type character, which fits his playstyle perfectly.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
What's going to stop people from teaming with each other during the free-for-alls?
Well, there is the fact that if the team turns out to be a good team, it might suck when both members of the good team advance and you have to fight the good player you selected because you thought they would help you win.

I suppose it might be in the best interest of the best player to team with the worst player. It wouldn't really help the team during the actual match though.

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
What time is the Invitational going to be live on Twitch? I thought it was going to be at the start of the "Nintendo Digital Event" (so 9am LA time, so 2am where I am), but I've heard that the Invitational is going to be on later in the day.
Can anyone tell me when the tournament will be live?

D

Deleted member

Tournament is at 4pm PST, and ends at 6:30 PST.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I know when the Digital Event will start for me in Sweden, but could someone say how many hours after it the Invitational Tournament will be? Would be very appreciated. :)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Invitational is 4:00-6:30 PM PST (7:00-9:30 PM EST). It is 1 sitting, although there might be intermissions, ads or a half time show or something.

Its 8 matches. 7 of those matches are 4 player FFA's, items on, random stage selection, 4 stocks with 5 minute timers, the top 2 players advance to the next round. Grand finals is a 1v1, no items on Battlefield, 4 stocks, 8 minutes.

Matches will be played 1 at a time, and taking into account organization time of 5 minutes between matches (cheering, player rotation, hype creation, character selection, etc) it gives tournament about 80-90 minutes, so there is a whole hour unaccounted for. We will see what Nintendo is planning.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Invitational is 4:00-6:30 PM PST (7:00-9:30 PM). It is 1 sitting, although there might be intermissions, ads or a half time show or something.

Its 8 matches. 7 of those matches are 4 player FFA's, items on, random stage selection, 4 stocks with 5 minute timers, the top 2 players advance to the next round. Grand finals is a 1v1, no items on Battlefield, 4 stocks, 8 minutes.

Matches will be played 1 at a time, and taking into account organization time of 5 minutes between matches (cheering, player rotation, hype creation, character selection, etc) it gives tournament about 80-90 minutes, so there is a whole hour unaccounted for. We will see what Nintendo is planning.
Thank you, that is everything I needed to know.

Morbi

Scavenger
Invitational is 4:00-6:30 PM PST (7:00-9:30 PM EST). It is 1 sitting, although there might be intermissions, ads or a half time show or something.

The tournament is going to be FFA? I seriously misread something, I did not realize that it would be set up that way. I guess that will be different at the very least... but I will not lie, that just killed almost all of my hype for the invitational. I was actually anticipating more than "e3." But hey, I suppose my expectations were far too high.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
The tournament is going to be FFA? I seriously misread something, I did not realize that it would be set up that way. I guess that will be different at the very least... but I will not lie, that just killed almost all of my hype for the invitational. I was actually anticipating more than "e3." But hey, I suppose my expectations were far too high.
Well, at least the finale will be that no items competitive stage, 1 on 1 we've all been waiting for. The FFA is a necessary evil honestly :/

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
Well, at least the finale will be that no items competitive stage, 1 on 1 we've all been waiting for. The FFA is a necessary evil honestly :/
I must be a casual scrub, because this sounds like an awesome idea to me.

Shadow Ganon

Smash Cadet
This tournament is going to be viewed by the casual community of Smash players and maybe people who have never really played Smash before and are here to see what Smash 4 has to offer. For that group, competitive play isn't all that important right now. They have items on and random stage selection for those people to check them out. But it is confirmed that they are setting the items to medium, then low as the tournament progresses and then turning them off completely in the final match. This is still part of E3 and they wanna show us all they have to offer (that's also why there's a one character per player for the whole tourney rule). Doesn't mean all their tournaments are always gonna be like that (assuming they'll be hosting more). It's not meant to be as serious hence the Free For All . I'm still pretty hype about all of this!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
This tournament is going to be viewed by the casual community of Smash players and maybe people who have never really played Smash before and are here to see what Smash 4 has to offer. For that group, competitive play isn't all that important right now. They have items on and random stage selection for those people to check them out. But it is confirmed that they are setting the items to medium, then low as the tournament progresses and then turning them off completely in the final match. This is still part of E3 and they wanna show us all they have to offer (that's also why there's a one character per player for the whole tourney rule). Doesn't mean all their tournaments are always gonna be like that (assuming they'll be hosting more). It's not meant to be as serious hence the Free For All . I'm still pretty hype about all of this!
I agree, I had my moment of outrage where I was whining like a little *****. However; as I talked about it more, I am actually quite fond of this idea. It is not every day that you see top players like HungryBox or Pee Pee playing FFA w/ items on (in an entirely new Smash, of course). Unprecedented. I forgot that I was originally anticipating the tournament as a method to learn more about the game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah. They clearly know what, or are at least trying to know what competitive Smash is really about. (I'm actually most impressed the finale match is on Battlefield, and not FD. They've clearly done their research.) It's just that they have to show off all the stuff, because honestly it's E3. It's a sales pitch first and a hype generator second.

I'm interested to see if they put more backbone behind other tournaments in the future.

But Geoff Keighly? Really? That guy is one enormous asshole, that's just going to make an obnoxious spectacle of himself.

D

Deleted member

Just who in the world is this guy? You're not the only one one that finds him awkward but why?
The guy from those Doritos/Mountain Dew ads for things like Halo. We've come to know him as the Doritos Pope.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, who do we Think will win this thing? :3 I root for whoever uses Bowser, but I don't expect him to win.

And I am not that knowledgable of these people..

Top Bottom