• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 Discussion Thread

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's June and that means E3 is just around the corner. Any reactions, comments, discussions, and speculation for E3 goes here.
Anything that relates to Smash and the Best Buy event would be best discussed at these forums
http://smashboards.com/forums/super-smash-brothers-at-e3.473/

Schedule

Microsoft
Monday June 9th 9:30 AM PDT​

EA
Monday June 9th 12:00 PM PDT​

Ubisoft
Monday June 9th 3:00 PM PDT​

Sony
Monday June 9th 6:00 PM PDT

Nintendo
Tuesday June 10th 9:00 AM PDT​

For a more detailed look at the schedule http://www.ign.com/events/e3
Spike TV and Gametrailers will also be doing their all access coverage.
More info here http://www.gametrailers.com/news-po...ametrailers-coms-all-access-schedule-revealed

Stream Links

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Sadly, I'm not going to be able to actually watch any press conferences this year because of school and work. I'll be sad to miss Sony and Nintendo, but I'm sure just skimming this thread afterwards will get me all caught up.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Will there be any Skype groups where forumers here can connect and watch the conferences/announcements together?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Will there be any Skype groups where forumers here can connect and watch the conferences/announcements together?
No. At least I won't be constructing one since I'll be busy with finals. I think the thread will be good enough and will keep discussions in one location instead of being split off.

Edit: I'll be busy in the morning for finals, so I won't be able to give the exact links to the streams. I'll post them when I get back. The streams should be available on Twitch, Gametrailers, Gamespot, IGN, etc.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Is anyone else watching MS right now? I got home early from class and this thread is oddly dead given the time of year it is.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, I'm really not surprised that nobody is really chatting about MS right now. I missed the first thirty minutes, but it's been pretty forgettable so far.

EDIT: Actually, this new Fable game looks pretty neat. I've been wanting a DM VS. Players style game for a while.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Looks like I was able to make it back in time for the MS stuff. I doubt I missed much though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Looks like I was able to make it back in time for the MS stuff. I doubt I missed much though.
Halo 1-4 Xbone ports, new multiplayer Fable and a new Insomniac game (Spyro and Ratchet & Clank studio) about a snarky, self-absorbed, fourth wall-breaking "badass" (I can't put into words how much I hate that archetype). My friend says the first half hour was nothing but Forza stuff. So as usual, you didn't miss much.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Halo 5. Honestly, I've been playing Fire Emblem on my 3DS to kill time while I watch. It's been pretty underwhelming.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Ah, I figured as much. And yeah, it's hard to get excited for the MS portion only because I don't have any plans getting an Xbox One. I'm waiting for a big 3rd party exclusive to shake things up.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think I just saw the words "cult classic" properly applied to a game for once, since I actually had to look up what Phantom Dust is. So that's something.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Kamiya's up. Platinum Games exclusive on Xbox One :(

Edit: Ok, I don't think I'm part of the target audience for this one lol

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX

It looks like Monster Hunter swallowed Devil May Cry. I don't know how I feel about this.

EDIT: Is anyone going to watch the EA conference? Really, the only thing that they could offer that would interest me is more Mirror's Edge 2 info and possibly Mass Effect 4 if it turns out that's a thing.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Here's hoping the Sony conference is exciting.
Sadly, I'll be a work while that's going on. Really crossing my fingers for new FFXV, KH3 and maybe even some Persona 5 info. Really doubting those, though. Especially since Squeenix came out and said that FFXV and KH3 would be no-shows this year.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
The shocking part of that Master Chief Collection is that this is what *all* remakes should be like:
- Revamped graphics in accordance with current engines.
- Ability to switch between retro and current graphics at any moment.
- Being able to link up missions between any of the games in whatever order you choose.
- Dedicated servers for the multiplayer of each individual title.

I am VERY surprised that this has come from a Halo compilation, and not any one of the other HD collections that has been released previously. So that was a very good implementation. I'm going to expect a catch though, like they don't revamp Halo 3 or Halo 4 graphics so that you buy the next collection 5 years from now or something...

Otherwise, the presentation wasn't damning, but not a runaway success either. Fable and Crackdown have to redeem themselves, Scalebound might be good, Sunset Overdrive looked okay. At least they didn't talk about the Kinect for 90% of the presentation this time.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
EA is up, started with a presentation of Battlefront III. As nostalgic as the first two are, I played them a quick, arcade-like single player games. Knowing today's fixation of multiplayer and social media, I'm willing to bet the damn thing will be always online.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

It's a shame it was nothing more than a CG trailer. I can't even feel disappointed at missing out on it because there's no telling how it will play. I don't care much for the artstyle though.

Now that Microsoft is out of the way, the show can finally start. Hopefully Sony will show something I like, I believe Daisuke is there, let's see some Guilty Gear. Nintendo has several things I'm looking forward to, but I'm really hoping to finally see more on SMT x FE.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sony will spend its two hour timeslot telling us about LOVE MAX!!!!!

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I like the premise of Guilty Gear -Xrd- Sign showing up under Sony's time, but that's more likely to show up at Tokyo Game Show instead. Otherwise, there isn't anything Sony-wise that's got me interested. I need to see some interesting new IPs, or change-ups of classic ones to get me invested at all.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
This isn't that exciting so far. The only games I'm actually that interested in from this are:

Sunset Overdrive (not enough to buy the console)
Ori and the Blind Forest (it'll be on PC...)
Crackdown (vaguely, again, not enough to sell the system)
Tomb Raider and LCatToO (both on PC)

These are the two company's I'm least interested in though, so I guess it's impressive they've gotten me interested at all.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I have to admit that Microsoft's press conference was...maybe a C? I mean, it wasn't a colossal failure like last year, but in terms of exclusives it seemed like a bunch of nothing. EA's was well...what you'd expect, but the Star Wars Battlefront, and Mass Effect announcements were nice.

finalark

SNORLAX
This isn't that exciting so far. The only games I'm actually that interested in from this are:

Sunset Overdrive (not enough to buy the console)
Ori and the Blind Forest (it'll be on PC...)
Crackdown (vaguely, again, not enough to sell the system)
Tomb Raider and LCatToO (both on PC)

These are the two company's I'm least interested in though, so I guess it's impressive they've gotten me interested at all.
Microsoft always puts on a mediocre show. I might be biased because I grew up on Sony and Nintendo consoles, but IMO the only part of E3 that's actually worth watching is Sony and Nintendo. Mostly Nintendo, since Sony and MS (usually) are way too interested in shoving sales figures down your throat and spending thirty minuets on titles most people don't care about while giving two a minute CG trailer for the interesting games.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I thought EA did a pretty good job with what they had, I was almost interested in The Sims... almost!

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Microsoft always puts on a mediocre show. I might be biased because I grew up on Sony and Nintendo consoles, but IMO the only part of E3 that's actually worth watching is Sony and Nintendo. Mostly Nintendo, since Sony and MS (usually) are way too interested in shoving sales figures down your throat and spending thirty minuets on titles most people don't care about while giving two a minute CG trailer for the interesting games.
Heh, I agree you're a bit biased, mate. All of the companies have had good E3 presentations at one point or another, but Microsoft has been on the lower edge for a while now, primarily because they've talked more business rather than games for the past 4 or 5 years up until this E3.

I can't recall Sony's best E3...maybe the second E3 presentation of MGS 4? I think that was around 2008, and they were rebuilding their damaged name after that terrible 2006 PS3 unveiling, so they put on a pretty strong face that year. Well I guess their best E3 was last year for drowning the competition, but it didn't "WOW" me. There was no next-gen vibe to be seen.

Nintendo has consistently had more good E3s than the other two, with the exception of Wii Music E3. Their best one was probably the Wii unveiling for the sheer potential it offered, and the positive motivation it reflected to gaming. I think they're going to take this one if they put on a strong face on all their IPs.

I thought EA did a pretty good job with what they had, I was almost interested in The Sims... almost!
It suffered a little more than Microsoft's because it presented more "more-of-the-same" than Microsoft did. And the worst part was that a bunch of their winning IPs were just concept videos. Where was the Battlefront gameplay to steal the show? How about some Mirror's Edge 2 feed? The nail in the coffin was all those damn sports....

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
They said pretty definitively that they didn't have much to show for Mass Effect, and Mirror's Edge really didn't do that well... I think they could have put more into Mirror's Edge, but considering how much #sports they had they manage to pull out the few interesting bits to highlight... well except in football and american football...

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm actually pretty uninterested in Sunset Overdrive, which is sat for me since Insomniac are responsible for a few cornerstones of my childhood (specifically Spyro the Dragon and Ratchet & Clank). The thing that makes it sad for me is that it really shows the decline in quality that Insomniac's games have had after R&C Up Your Arsenal. I don't know if that's because I don't have nostalgia for their newer titles or what, but I really feel like things have been going up and down hill for them for a while.

Sunset Overdrive feels like its trying way to goddamn hard to be "cool, wild and quirky." Doesn't help they have a, "crazy, self-absorbed, forth-wall breaking badass who gives no ****s" as their protagonist. As unpopular of an opinion as this is, the Deadpool archetype drives me up the goddamn wall.

Anyway, that was me venting. Please, go back to enjoying E3.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
They said pretty definitively that they didn't have much to show for Mass Effect, and Mirror's Edge really didn't do that well... I think they could have put more into Mirror's Edge, but considering how much #sports they had they manage to pull out the few interesting bits to highlight... well except in football and american football...
It seemed that the show-stealing part was meant to be Battlefield: Hardline, but all the wind was taken out of those sails when it was leaked 2-3 weeks earlier. This E3 just gave us what we already knew and didn't try to sell us on the campaign, which is supposed to be the biggest improvement to the Battlefield series.

Sunset Overdrive feels like its trying way to goddamn hard to be "cool, wild and quirky." Doesn't help they have a, "crazy, self-absorbed, forth-wall breaking badass who gives no ****s" as their protagonist. As unpopular of an opinion as this is, the Deadpool archetype drives me up the goddamn wall.
The first thing I thought was it looks like Crackdown and Bulletstorm had a baby. Could be good, but I'll wait for the reviews first.

And I hate Deadpool. Mainly because he's just not funny and full of toilet humour.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'd give Microsoft a B/B-. It was a solid and safe press conference. They didn't go for any bombshells, but they had a steady stream of exclusives. They didn't talk about Kinect or the system, and I liked how all they talked about were games. The games they showed weren't my thing though, but I can't give them a low score just because of my tastes.

I'm watching the stream on gametrailer. Having Jack Tretton (now that he's not with Sony) feels weird when he's out here discussing each of the conferences.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I'd give Microsoft a B/B-. It was a solid and safe press conference. They didn't go for any bombshells, but they had a steady stream of exclusives. They didn't talk about Kinect or the system, and I liked how all they talked about were games. The games they showed weren't my thing though, but I can't give them a low score just because of my tastes.
The Microsoft conference seemed to be one-part damage control (over the 4 or 5 previous years where they've talked about apps and peripherals more than games), and two-parts revitalisation (where they're trying to resurrect their IPs that have been pushed to the wayside since they either tanked in their last game (Fable), or they weren't Halo or Gears of War (Crackdown)). Halo is doing fine as usual, but they need to try and make IPs that are strong enough to stand alongside their power-armoured mascot.

EA was a worse conference - in my opinion - because they've got some seriously good IPs in their pocket and they failed to capitalise on them. The only way I see a conference being worse is either:

1) Sony fails to take advantage of its lead over the other consoles and presents nothing interesting or talks strictly business.
2) Nintendo releases Wii U Music.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just finished watching Ubisoft's conference. The best part was the Far Cry 4 trailer. Assassin's Creed Unity looks pretty good, while I'm indifferent to everything else.

I missed out on Microsoft's and EA's conferences, so I can't give my thoughts on those.

I'm on the same boat as Finalark; I'm more curious about what Sony and Nintendo are showing than anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'm seriously surprised Microsoft and EA's conferences were that good. I expected Ubisoft's to be better than what it was. So far the only games to really capture my attention are Cuphead, Sunset Overdrive, Hotline Miami 2, and Valiant Hearts.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sony's didn't wow me. Some of the stuff I already knew. From Software's new game, Uncharted 4 was expected, more Destiny stuff, MGSV trailer, etc.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Add Bloodborne, Shantae: Pirate's Curse and No Man's Sky to that list of mine. I was already gonna buy Phantom Pain anyways.

Also, I'm going to remain pissed at Sony for bait and switching Crash Bandicoot twice. You don't toy with a man's heart like that. It just ain't right. But hey that's okay we get HD remakes of games already in HD.

Oh, and I'm NUCLEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
So far.. this has been a terrible E3 compared to last year's which was cool due to the botches, console reveals, Sony flame war on MS, KH III and Mega Man in Smash reveals.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I missed the whole bloody conference because the stupid 103 degree Fahrenheit heat fried my Internet, and I won't get to see it until tomorrow. Judging from your responses though, it sounds like Sony failed to capitalise on last year's success. So wasted opportunity, but 5+ million console sales later and I doubt this E3 was as important to them as the last one.

So far.. this has been a terrible E3 compared to last year's which was cool due to the botches, console reveals, Sony flame war on MS, KH III and Mega Man in Smash reveals.
I gave up on the console wars last gen: it's pointless. Endlessly repeating squabbles over petty differences. I only disapprove of any one side when they encourage bad practices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom