• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoL Dumbest Spirit Battles

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This thread is devoted to the most ridiculously-designed and easily-cheesed (or hair-pullingly aggravating) Spirit Battles.

I'll start by bringing up Ricky, a Legend of Zelda Spirit. He's represented by a Little Mac who likes to jump, i.e. fighting mostly in the air. Let me repeat — he's Little Mac, spending more time in the air than on the ground. The guy who was designed to have an absolutely atrocious air game. I mean, I get why — he's a kangaroo who fights with his fists — but come on.

What's the dumbest Spirit Battle you've seen? (Honorable mentions for me were Shedinja and Red Pikmin.)

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I've noticed that Spirits tend to be a tad bit sexist, a female spirit will never occupy a male fighter even if it would make perfect sense otherwise. A particularly galling example is pretty early with Blaze the Cat, whose puppet is Fem Robin. Shouldn't the fighter be Incineroar on account that Blaze & Incineroar are both fire based cats? Blaze doesn't even do projectiles with her fire. & oh yeah, Incineroars can be both male or female, the one in Ultimate could very well be female anyway for all we know, But no no, Nintendo/Namco got cold feet & stuck Blaze on the human with a ranged fire ball instead.

EDIT: Oh hey, here's another one: Kirby puppet fighters. How the heck do they even exist if Kirby never got captured?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've noticed that Spirits tend to be a tad bit sexist, a female spirit will never occupy a male fighter even if it would make perfect sense otherwise. A particularly galling example is pretty early with Blaze the Cat, whose puppet is Fem Robin. Shouldn't the fighter be Incineroar on account that Blaze & Incineroar are both fire based cats? Blaze doesn't even do projectiles with her fire. & oh yeah, Incineroars can be both male or female, the one in Ultimate could very well be female anyway for all we know, But no no, Nintendo/Namco got cold feet & stuck Blaze on the human with a ranged fire ball instead.

EDIT: Oh hey, here's another one: Kirby puppet fighters. How the heck do they even exist if Kirby never got captured?
Well, in Blaze's case, I suppose they figured that Incineroar was too slow and clumsy. However, Robin is barely any faster or more agile, so... yeah. What were they thinking?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
why on earth is the white pikmin battle on three white kirbys? three white ivysaur would have made more sense, they're both poisons plants, theres no similarities to kirby

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
**** 9-VOLT AND 18-VOLT AND **** BOSS GALAGAS

*ahem*

the ones that don't make sense to me are ones like the Ninten spirit where it's just the one character but you gotta fight four guys. It makes sense for team spirits like the Hockey Team or whatever, but not for a single dude lol

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman

Brittany possesses Olimar.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
I belive DK was picked for Mr. Sandman was because DK was the strongest opponent within Punch-Out! Will, whist Mr. Sandman 'was' the champion of the WVBA within Punch-Out! Wii, so having the Champion possess the strongest Boxer from said game makes perfect sense to me, despite the offensiveness folks might get from it.

As for Diddy Kong for Dee Jay, the only concrete thing I know why Diddy was chosen was because his Side Special is very similar to one of DJ's moves, & since they couldn't find any other character that reflects an aspect of DJ better, they made do with Diddy.

Last edited:

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
I belive DK was picked for Mr. Sandman was because DK was the strongest opponent within Punch-Out! Will, whist Mr. Sandman 'was' the champion of the WVBA within Punch-Out! Wii, so having the Champion possess the strongest Boxer from said game makes perfect sense to me, despite the offensiveness folks might get from it.

As for Diddy Kong for Dee Jay, the only concrete thing I know why Diddy was chosen was because his Side Special is very similar to one of DJ's moves, & since they couldn't find any other character that reflects an aspect of DJ better, they made do with Diddy.
Yeah it's just these two spirit without context are just so wrong haha!

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
the ones that don't make sense to me are ones like the Ninten spirit where it's just the one character but you gotta fight four guys. It makes sense for team spirits like the Hockey Team or whatever, but not for a single dude lol
I have to say, the Ninten battle was on of the hardest I had to take in the game. Even with weakening items and a Franklin badge item, the fight was hell. I don't see how this would be necessary.

On topic:
The most aggravating fight for me was the Akira battle: against Ryu and his assist trophy on omega arena.
Omega, so no camping options. Stamina battle, so your survival skills mean nothing. A teleporting assist trophy that deals 20 % of your HP per hit and is hard to take down even with anti-trophy bonuses. Good luck with that.
I beat it once when Ryu accidentally sd'ed and I will never come back to it.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Personally, there's no dumb Spirit Battles in my book. Each Spirit Battle is designed to represent a Spirit down to the littiest of details. For an example, while yes, having to fight an air Little Mac is just dumb, it isn't dumb in regards to the whole premise of Spirit Battles.

Now then, despite saying I believe that their's no dumb Spirit Battles, that was in regard to the designs of the Spirit Battles, there are those ones are plain dumb due to how aggravating they are. But I'll mention those aggravating ones for me another time ;).

Last edited:

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Whoever made the Pyra fight is a sadist of the highest calibur. Not only is it 2 v 1, not only do both characters hit like trucks, not only do they have a massive range at the start of the fight, but the gatdang stage is lava! The entire stage, not just the floor! That means that you are forced to sacrifice 2 spirit slots unless you're a god at aerials, limiting your options greatly. No superarmor, no weapon resist, no healing sheild, no autoheal, no giant, no running start, the list goes on. Oh and it doesn't help that more firebars spawn in as Lucina's starts to get low on her first bar and the things do obnoxious damage when thrown.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I didn't have too much trouble with Pauline on Normal difficulty compared to most Legendary spirits but I ended up dying 20 times on NG+ with a fully optimized skill tree because I was doing it on Hard mode. The AI gets incredibly smart on Hard mode, where now Mario will get close up with the hammer before you can hit Peach with the staff's second attack and he'll just take the staff for peach or he'll just cape it. So far, hard mode Pauline is probably the most difficult WOL spirit battle for me.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I would have liked giving him massive amount of HP so it's a race against time.
+ "The enemy heals over time." :)

Or change it to a Giant Jigglypuff with Super Armor that gets healed over time and likes Down Specials. :grin:
Whoever made the Pyra fight is a sadist of the highest calibur. Not only is it 2 v 1, not only do both characters hit like trucks, not only do they have a massive range at the start of the fight, but the gatdang stage is lava! The entire stage, not just the floor! That means that you are forced to sacrifice 2 spirit slots unless you're a god at aerials, limiting your options greatly. No superarmor, no weapon resist, no healing sheild, no autoheal, no giant, no running start, the list goes on. Oh and it doesn't help that more firebars spawn in as Lucina's starts to get low on her first bar and the things do obnoxious damage when thrown.
It's still a pretty standard 1 v 2 fight, not even close to being terrible. She's never been a very memorable fight for me.
I didn't have too much trouble with Pauline on Normal difficulty compared to most Legendary spirits but I ended up dying 20 times on NG+ with a fully optimized skill tree because I was doing it on Hard mode. The AI gets incredibly smart on Hard mode, where now Mario will get close up with the hammer before you can hit Peach with the staff's second attack and he'll just take the staff for peach or he'll just cape it. So far, hard mode Pauline is probably the most difficult WOL spirit battle for me.
Shoot faster. 4 hits is the most it should take with a strong Primary, and I've beaten her in 2 before (yes, on Hard).

GreatKnightEcho

Smash Rookie
Pauline and Dr. Wily are both super aggravating. Pauline because she never sits still, there's a giant DK who WILL combo you off the top to your death, and it's on arguably the worst stage in the game (even without obstacles). The only way you're gonna win is if Peach floats to her death or if you get super lucky.

Then there's Dr. Wily. Nowhere near as bad as Pauline, though the army of Megamen is near impossible to beat without Healing KOs.
Don Bongo can be frustrating if he hits you with an Fsmash at the very start, but I've never had much trouble with him.

There's one super annoying spirit battle I don't hear anyone talking about, and that's Yarn Yoshi. I swear, every time I do anything, the Yoshis swarm me and then BAM I'm dead. The only reason I beat them was because I got them to follow me to a cloud platform and then I let it disappear, leaving them unable to recover.

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Pauline and Dr. Wily are both super aggravating. Pauline because she never sits still, there's a giant DK who WILL combo you off the top to your death, and it's on arguably the worst stage in the game (even without obstacles). The only way you're gonna win is if Peach floats to her death or if you get super lucky.
Or you shoot her with the Staff.

Then there's Dr. Wily. Nowhere near as bad as Pauline, though the army of Megamen is near impossible to beat without Healing KOs.
The projectile absorbers (not reflectors), especially Ness, are the hardest of hard counters to Dr. Wily. Their lemons and F smashes are free health regeneration, making you effectively immortal.

There's one super annoying spirit battle I don't hear anyone talking about, and that's Yarn Yoshi. I swear, every time I do anything, the Yoshis swarm me and then BAM I'm dead. The only reason I beat them was because I got them to follow me to a cloud platform and then I let it disappear, leaving them unable to recover.
Because Yarn Yoshi is not that bad in the grand scheme of things. You probably need to adapt your tactics or character selection to the gimmick. "Easy to launch" applies to the Yoshis too, so a powerful heavy like Bowser or Ganondorf is going to have a much easier time than trying to gimp them with Jigglypuff or something.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Damn Pauline Spirit.

Also the Metal ROB one before :ultsnake: in World of Light. Had to resort to easy mode just to win that.

Oddball

Smash Lord
As bad as the Pauline spirit fight is, Donkey Kong and Lady is even worse. It's like the Pauline fight except there you have to protect Peach from DK.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
As bad as the Pauline spirit fight is, Donkey Kong and Lady is even worse. It's like the Pauline fight except there you have to protect Peach from DK.
Several of the Legend fights (and even some nominally lower-ranked ones like Kyogre) are almost impossible with "normal" tactics. The challenge for them is to have enough knowledge of the entire game to discover the correct combination of character moves + spirit powers to exploit whatever special characteristics the enemy or the stage has.

For DK&L, Giant Samus, camp the blast zone at on the top-left walkoff and fish for a grab -> back throw. Instant death. It's definitely the most RNG-dependent spirit board strategy I've come up with, since it depends completely on Peach not leading him away from that one place. It still has a pretty high success rate.

Yoshi's Egg Lay also has potential, but I haven't tested how reliable it is. I also got him to SD once with Pikachu. I'll have to review some of those strategies to see if they can be polished up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Party Phil... My arch-nemesis.

Thank Palutena they made it so you can get a few tries on a challenge otherwise I'd have never gotten him.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This thread was meant to be more about Spirit battles with ridiculous premises than ridiculous difficulty — the Ricky battle, with a constantly-jumping Little Mac, being the standout example. There are other threads available for complaining about Spirit battles that are tough as nuts.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Easily, the first World of Light spirit battle, the Smoky Progg!
Mario turns into metal for a few seconds... Whoever designed that fight, never played Pikmin. The Smoky Progg is a creature covered in poison that will pursue any Pikmin it sees. That's it. Make the stage covered in poisonous gas. Make the floor poison. Pick a green character at least!
No, it's random Metal Mario. Just wow.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Easily, the first World of Light spirit battle, the Smoky Progg!
Mario turns into metal for a few seconds... Whoever designed that fight, never played Pikmin. The Smoky Progg is a creature covered in poison that will pursue any Pikmin it sees. That's it. Make the stage covered in poisonous gas. Make the floor poison. Pick a green character at least!
No, it's random Metal Mario. Just wow.
Know what, you’re right. They could’ve at least given us green Mario and I don’t mean Luigi with these effects if they had to stick with Mario as the first fight (which I don’t mind either way, to be honest).

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
a female spirit will never occupy a male fighter even if it would make perfect sense otherwise.
Shouldn't the fighter be Incineroar on account that Blaze & Incineroar are both fire based cats?
they probably didn't want both Blaze and Big to be represented by the same character, and Blaze in particular being represented by a large grappler would have felt even more off model than just using Female Robin
<Sonic technically represents multiple Sonic characters too, but they're all either different forms for himself, or a very similar counterpart>

as for female spirits taking male fighters, even aside from Brittany having Olimar for her rep
we have Karin from Street Fighter, being played by Lucario
this isn't another case of ambiguous gender either, as Lucario in Smash is all but guaranteed to be from Mystery of Mew, which shows him as being male

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

About the Kirby puppet fighters, halfway through the World of Light story, Galeem analyzed Kirby and used said analysis of the puffball to create puppet fighters of him.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
About the Kirby puppet fighters, halfway through the World of Light story, Galeem analyzed Kirby and used said analysis of the puffball to create puppet fighters of him.
Uhh.... no? The intro clearly shows that all fighters defeated by the beams of light were reverted back to their trophy form and teleported to Galeem's lair. Then it covers them with a magical goop and *poof* clones puppets are made. At no point during the whole adventure Kirby was turned into a trophy and/or kidnapped by Galeem.

The real explanation as to why there are Kirby spirit fights is that they weren't really focused on creating a deep or accurate story. I think they were probably more interested in making a fun mode.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Galeem took Meta Knight and made a close-enough copy of Kirby, I dunno

it's just a throwaway story to justify why you can use WOL to unlock characters

Top Bottom