• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dumb things you did/thought as a kid

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
I used to think anybody could go as fast as a car on a bicycle if they pedaled hard enough.

So one day I tried to go as fast as I possibly could, I hit a rock and fell, scraped my arms on the road for like... 2.5 meters (8 Feet) probably the most I've bled as a kid. Thank goodness for helmets, I learnt the hard way.

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
I used to think that licking my wounds would make them heal faster, like it does for cats.

It just led to a bunch of awkward conversations and my mom hitting me a lot in public.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
One time, I called the police because "I need(ed) a gift for my Mom and my Dad", which, at the time, I didn't know that they take every call seriously as a precaution to if you were being held at gunpoint and had to choose your words carefully.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When I was 5 years old I got really mad one night and bit a table.

Also I used to think that you would get arrested if you look at people in their cars because I used to do that all the time as a kid, I would just stare at them in their cars and my mom would get mad at me and told me that I could go to jail for looking at them. I had a bad dream about it and everything so that really scared me...

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Also, back in the 4th grade, I was playing Yu-Gi-Oh! with a friend of mine because it was popular in my school back then, and this girl whom I've had a crush on, came over to me and said, "I like boys with curly hair," so I, without thinking, responded, "I got it from my Dad." And then she just walked away without saying anything. Nothing really happened afterwards, except I started feeling regretful and embarrassment.
Another thing, I remember in Music class, probably in 4th grade too, my class was beginning to leave, I talked to the girl behind me, and asked her if she wanted to hear how my sister sneezed. So I showed her, but I sneezed on her face accidentally. ...Which reminds me of when I sneezed on a friend's face in Math class a year ago, but that was on purpose, so it doesn't count.
And yet another thing, I liked the Suite Life of Zack & Cody so much as kid. You know how the twins do that noise at each other? Well, I did the same thing, except with the initial of my first name, which was R. So basically, it was "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR", but not like a growling noise or anything, just saying R repeatedly.
And then, in Music class again, this quote where Zack said "How am I supposed to know?", I used it in there when the teacher called on me randomly. She was baffled, so I changed my answer to "I don't know."
One more thing, in the 5th grade, I had this best friend. He sat across from me in Science class, and was fiddling around with his finger between our two desks, so, as a joke, I slammed my desk between his own, and he just yelled out in pain. I pretended like it was an accident, but the teacher persisted I did it on purpose, so I had to go to the Principal's Office for that.
I also remember in the 4th grade, this kid that everyone thought was disgusting, was behind me, and he was doing something with his finger. I think he was picking his nose. Anyway, I pretended like he stuck up the middle finger at me, as a joke, but another kid just flat out told on him, and he got in trouble for that. i haven't been caught for lying ever since.

Now that I got THOSE stories out of the way, I think I'll sit back and hear other people's stories until I can remember some more.

D

Deleted member 269706

When I was a kid, I always thought the conveyor belts at grocery stores were the coolest things ever. I don't know why, I just loved them. So whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would say "I want to be a payer!" (I wasn't aware of the word 'cashier'), and they would always say, "a what?" and I would say, "a payer! Like people who take your money at stores." Haha, children have the best minds.

Dem Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
FlyingTiger89
Once upon a time, little kid Bones thought it was a funny idea to call 911 and hang up. His guilty conscience caught up with him though.

It was even worse when the local police actually arrived. Bones learned a valuable lesson that day.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Used to think F-Zero was some kind of platformer after Smash 64 and that F-Zero X was a spin-off. :bee:

Also thought SM64 was the 64th Mario game and totally didn't have anything to do with the system's name.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
when i was roughly nine or ten, i thought that eye floaters (the little transparent things that you see when you look at the sky or whatever) were little bugs crawling around on my eyes.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
when i was roughly nine or ten, i thought that eye floaters (the little transparent things that you see when you look at the sky or whatever) were little bugs crawling around on my eyes.
You mean they aren't?!?!?

This changes things...

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
You know, I'm surprised that nobody said anything about believing that cats have 9 lives yet.
...Wait, that's not actually true, is it?

D

Deleted member

You know, I'm surprised that nobody said anything about believing that cats have 9 lives yet.
...Wait, that's not actually true, is it?
A quick Google search will tell you it's false. I'm sure at least most of us believed in it when we were younger, though.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
A quick Google search will tell you it's false. I'm sure at least most of us believed in it when we were younger, though.
Hmm, yeah, I guess. But I didn't want to have to go through links that don't have the answer I'm looking for. That happens sometimes, so I wanted someone to answer it for me instead.

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
When I was around 4 years old, my mom bought a broom from the store. She told me it was an official Harry Potter broom and said if I used the magic words I could fly. I spent hours in the backyard trying to fly on the darn thing.

Also to this day I hate the "GOT YOUR NOSE" thing because my dad did it to me when I was young and pretended to eat my nose. It was traumatic man.

Now that I think about it, my parents were kinda taking advantage of that childhood innocence. I don't blame them, must of been funny.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
When I was around 4 years old, my mom bought a broom from the store. She told me it was an official Harry Potter broom and said if I used the magic words I could fly. I spent hours in the backyard trying to fly on the darn thing.

Also to this day I hate the "GOT YOUR NOSE" thing because my dad did it to me when I was young and pretended to eat my nose. It was traumatic man.

Now that I think about it, my parents were kinda taking advantage of that childhood innocence. I don't blame them, must of been funny.
Are you a time traveler? That sounds like crap I'd do to my kids, and I don't even have any. Also, pet peeve: Must have. It's pronounced "must of" because it's easier, sort of like how people usually leave out the g in words ending with -ing

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
Are you a time traveler? That sounds like crap I'd do to my kids, and I don't even have any. Also, pet peeve: Must have. It's pronounced "must of" because it's easier, sort of like how people usually leave out the g in words ending with -ing
Ah sorry about that! I typed it on the fly, so next time I'll proofread. I have similar pet peeves. ~haha

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
As a kid (like 8-10 years old), I was always afraid of going to high school. Not because I thought it would be hard, but because I took it super literally.

I thought it was a school in the sky and didn't like heights.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I seriously regret my childhood on this... but back when I was in elementary school in 1st grade, I ate oranges like... ALL THE TIME. and a teacher said to me then: "don't eat too much fruit or it will grow inside your stomach!" I believed everything was true back then and I only ate bananas, grapes, apples, and cantaloupe back then. but thanks to 6th grade science... I learned that was false... I still feel dumb to this very day. At least I get more watermelon to eat!

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
As a kid (like 8-10 years old), I was always afraid of going to high school. Not because I thought it would be hard, but because I took it super literally.

That would be an amazing school. No halls anywhere, but a wingsuit is part of the uniform. When the bell rings, just get on top of your classroom and jump towards your next class. No push-ups for gym, just change into your gym outfit and strap a snowboard to your feet because it's time for skysurfing.

No buses either, get on the skycrane to go up and open your wingsuit to go home.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431

This would have been a nightmare:

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
When I was younger, I used to not understand the whole concept behind self-identification. Me not knowing this led to me hearing one of my cousins say that he identified as being a female because he always felt like he identified as a female over a male, so I started saying that I felt like I was a Tortoise trapped in a boy's body because I felt like I identify better with reptiles then I do other boys.

He got offended by me saying this because he thought I was mocking him, but my mom just used the "Sorry, he's touched in the head" excuse she used a lot when I was younger.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I thought that lowercase j was an i.

Thus I would spell things like "iump" a lot.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I cried a lot as a kid. I cried about the littlest things. Getting hurt, being called names, being insulted, getting low grades, and the feeling of being left out. :( Which lead to MANY embarrassing moments that I would most gladly change if I had the power to. One day however; I realized that if I'm gonna survive, I need to man up. And eventually, I kinda got used to all of this. I still cry every once in a while though. ;-;

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
I used to think that when it rained, it was raining around the whole world at once. I also thought clouds didn't move and were the same all day. When I saw that they changed the next day, I was convinced that at night the clouds grew or shrank. I never really noticed them move during the day though, I think I just had a short memory span lol.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
My cousin somehow convinced me that it just absolutely would not become daylight unless I went to sleep.

I then proceeded to prove her wrong by pulling an all-nighter.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I used to think Rome was a country.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I lived in a rich, white suburban Alabama community when I was young. I genuinely believed that everyone who knew about Jesus was a Christian, and everyone who didn't believe simply hadn't been informed yet.

I think I thought this til I was like 11 or 12?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I used to throw rocks on our roof when I was younger. I have no idea why, but I always did. Even after I got into trouble with it.

Also, I used to think the word "stupid" was an awful curse word (despite being completely fine with hearing the more colorful words on the Internet).

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
When I was in Kindergarten, our teacher told us to practice calling 911 with our parents. My parents were busy, so I decided to practice by myself so I could brag about it on Monday.

... Yeah, you can guess where this is going.

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
When I was in Kindergarten, our teacher told us to practice calling 911 with our parents. My parents were busy, so I decided to practice by myself so I could brag about it on Monday.

... Yeah, you can guess where this is going.
Oh wow. That... must be really really embarrassing to think about now. Sometimes we do things as children that we regret so much we never forgot them. Is that the case for you and this incident?

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Oh wow. That... must be really really embarrassing to think about now. Sometimes we do things as children that we regret so much we never forgot them. Is that the case for you and this incident?
Meh, at least it's not like that other time in Kindergarten when I was bouncing on a rubber ball on top of a retaining wall. My parents were the ones calling 911 when that happened :/

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Also, I used to think the word "stupid" was an awful curse word (despite being completely fine with hearing the more colorful words on the Internet).
Similarly, 'hate' (when directed to a person) was about the worst thing you could say in our house when I was a kid.

Top Bottom