• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Duck Hunt Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Notes:
Smash 4 hitboxes are interpolated, so imagine a line between a hitbox's current position and it's last. It hits that area too.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

There are potentially bugs in any of these, so let me know if you notice anything particuarly off and I'll check. There have been instances of weird hitboxes that ended up being a bug.

I can't get multijab atm.

The duck hitboxes could be off, but it doesn't look like it.

URL is gfycat.com/TheseElegantFoxhound

Edit: I fixed the smash attacks thanks to Lavani Lavani !

Thank you

Last edited:

Dawangthang

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dawangthang
It's great to finally see these! Definitely can see where all of our jank comes from now.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Furil Furil unk_F38 changes the way the hitboxes work for Duck Hunt's smashes.

Code:
Unknown_F38(Unknown=0x5, Unknown=0x1100000F)
Unknown_F38(Unknown=0x6, Unknown=0x11000010)
This bit of code delays the hitboxes and makes them hit 5-6 frames after they're drawn. Taking fsmash as an example, the data lists hitboxes for frames 12 18 and 24 with no "Remove_All_Hitboxes()" line. The presence of unk_F38 changes the hitboxes to be active on 17-18, 23-24, and 29-30.

Interestingly if you go into training and use the smashes on 1/2 or 1/4 speed the game gets tricked into adding an extra hit on the frame listed in the data as well as the intended frame (i.e. fsmash first hit becomes 12 + 17-18). Seems to be because of the game rendering subframes, as it doesn't happen on 2/3.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Ah, that's very interesting. Thank you!
I was using the training room slow down to test, so that is what made me confused.

Edit:
Fixed!
Just to clarify, they are each active for 2 frames, not 1, correct?

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Now that I see this gifycat method on desktop all I can say is: wow. You can restart it, speed it up, slow it down, pause. They is way better than the gifs (which also kept playing until you closed them)

Edit: Furil Furil in the Smash Academy sub-forum, can you make a thread linking to all of your hitbox visualizations? Currently, as far as I can tell, the only way to check out all of your stuff is through your profile.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Furil Furil This still doesn't explain DHD's fsmash, though...one of the threads here explained how there's a fourth hitbox that's active before fsmash is even supposed to begin. (I'm pretty sure it was true, anyway, based on video)

Is it something else that causes fsmash to be so...stupid?

It also happens with usmash, too. The first hit can randomly send people flying with really high knockback. Dsmash can do it, but that's only if the second and third hits whiff, which technically is intentional.

Blumiere

Professional Can Pilot
I always thought strong vs weak nair was a spacing thing, but looking at this makes it seem more like a timing thing. Is that the case?

HimaBook

Smash Cadet
I want to know the process to determin stretched hitbox (which have Z2,Y2,X2 parameter).
Is this process of drawing hitbox, which I guess about Duck Hunt's Dtilt, correct?

Furil

Smash Apprentice
I want to know the process to determin stretched hitbox (which have Z2,Y2,X2 parameter).
Is this process of drawing hitbox, which I guess about Duck Hunt's Dtilt, correct?
That appears to be correct, yes.

Furil Furil This still doesn't explain DHD's fsmash, though...one of the threads here explained how there's a fourth hitbox that's active before fsmash is even supposed to begin. (I'm pretty sure it was true, anyway, based on video)
As far as I can see, there are only 3. Can you link to the thread? I can't seem to find it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Do any hitboxes reach into the Z axis? If not, seems kind of sloppy that it needs to be determined for every single one.
Hitboxes are 3D, so they do reach both directions into the Z axis based on their radius even if they aren't placed in the Z axis (i.e. uair's first hit isn't tied to a bone and is placed at Z=0, but since it has a radius of 5.5 it reaches from Z=(-5.5) to Z=5.5)

Hitboxes that aren't tied to bones never have Z axis displacement, but if they are tied to a bone they'll reach into the fore/background if that bone does (see: Greninja fsmash whiffing some characters pointblank because of his sword being in the background)

Last edited:

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
This thread is missing fully charged smash attacks however. Fully charged F-Smash is very different than the normal version. The hitboxes shift farther out the longer Duck Hunt charges his smash attacks and creates a blind spot right in front of Duck Hunt.

Top Bottom