• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DtJ #Chisports Presents: Geeksboro #2 - Stack ********* - September 28th, 2013 - Greensboro, NC

clowsui

Smash Legend
DtJ #Chisports Presents: Geeksboro #2 - Stack *********
09-28-13
I. Introduction
II. Venue Information
III. Ruleset
IV. Schedule
V. Miscellaneous
VI. Contact Information
I. Introduction

Sup y'all. My name's Chi, I just moved to NC for grad school. I used to be a Brawl TO in the Midwest (and a mediocre Brawl player). I was pretty good at TO'ing - I've co-hosted a few large events (the Phoenix Saga series, as well as School is in Session 4 if y'all care to look), helped to improve a few events (Big House 2, EVO2013's bracket, SKTAR1) and ran a few of my own 80+ man events. While I decided I'd work on learning how to play Melee while living here since I live very close to PP + PPRN (AKA Lauren), I also decided that I'd continue to run events. I think everybody enjoyed the first event and the community has a good relationship w Geeksboro, so I'm running a second one.

II. Venue Information

Geeksboro Coffeehouse Cinema, located at 2134 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC, is as you might guess a coffee parlor. The venue owner is interested in showcasing and providing a space for gaming communities in order to show off the positive power of gaming. As we all know, the Smash community is much like a family for all its members. So you might say that this venue is perfect for us. But how about some concrete details about the place?

- 4 TVs already at the venue and available for us to use, meaning we can support up to 20-30 players on their equipment alone provided people bring systems.
- A HUGE amount of floor space
- Air conditioning
- Delicious beverages available for purchase
- Food nearby, including Chipotle very close by
- Did I mention delicious beverages available for purchase?
- Open until 2 a.m. on Saturdays
- Accessible by GTA, fairly close to highway

If you have any doubts still about this place, have no fear! Pictures will be on their way soon. Lauren and I simply forgot to take some when we went to check it out.

III. Fees and Ruleset

VENUE FEE: $5 - $3 discount for TV, $2 discount for system. Applicable up until we have 8 setups, venue setups included

SINGLES ENTRY: $10 (negotiable)

DOUBLES ENTRY: $10 PER TEAM (also negotiable)

This tournament will be using the MBR Ruleset, conveniently abridged by EVOLUTION 2013 as follows:

• Game version: US Nintendo Gamecube
  • Game Settings: 4 Stock, 8 Minute Time Limit, No Items, Pause Disabled, 2/3 Games
  • Starter stages**: Yoshi’s Story, Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dream Land
  • Counter-pick Stages**: Pokémon Stadium.
  • Wobbling is legal. Freezing and infinite stalling are not legal. Tactics that are ambiguous with respect to their "stalling" nature are subject to the TO's discretion in labeling and punishment.
  • First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1-P2-P2-P1 order.
  • Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
  • Following stages decided by winner banning one stage from all stages and then loser choosing.
  • Any matches that are best of five, there are no stage bans.
  • You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.
  • Double Blind Picks are allowed. Port Priority can be part of the Counterpicking Process also.
  • Gentleman's Clause - where any stage or rule can be turned on provided both players or teams agree - is in effect this tournament.
  • WINNERS FINALS, LOSERS FINALS AND GRAND FINALS ARE 3/5. ALL OTHER MATCHES ARE 2/3.
  • If any players are found guilty of intentional underperformance or collusive behavior, the TOs reserve the right to withhold any winnings towards these individuals.
** FOR DOUBLES, THE STAGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Starter stages: Yoshi' Story, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Pokemon Stadium
Counterpicks: Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64

IV. Payouts and Schedule

IF THERE ARE LESS THAN 32 ENTRANTS TO AN EVENT:
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

IF THERE ARE MORE THAN 32 ENTRANTS TO AN EVENT, BUT LESS THAN 64:
1st 50%
2nd 25%
3rd 15%
4th 10%

THE SCHEDULE BELOW IS BASED ON THE FOLLOWING PROJECTIONS:
48 SINGLES ENTRANTS*, 16 TEAM DOUBLES BRACKET
8 SETUPS
2/3 MATCH TOTAL DURATION: 15 MINUTES (including dawdling + CPing)
3/5 MATCH TOTAL DURATION: 30 MINUTES (including dawdling + CPing)

THE SCHEDULE IS INVALIDATED ENTIRELY IF THERE ARE >48 SINGLES ENTRANTS AND >16 DOUBLES TEAMS. THIS IS BECAUSE WE WILL NEED BIGGER BRACKETS

Oh, and we'll only run RRs if attendance goes over 64.

11:00 AM - 12:30 PM REGISTRATION (SINGLES AND DOUBLES)
12:30 PM - 1:00 PM DOUBLES BRACKET CREATION + ANNOUNCEMENTS

1:00 PM - 1:15 PM DOUBLES WBR1
1:15 PM - 1:30 PM DOUBLES WBR2/LBR1
1:30 PM - 1:45 PM DOUBLES WSF/LBR2
1:45 PM - 2:00 PM DOUBLES LBR3 + LAST CALL FOR SINGLES REGISTRATION
PLAYERS SHOULD GET FOOD IF THEY'RE NOT IN DOUBLES AROUND NOW
2:00 PM - 2:30 PM DOUBLES WF/LQF + LSF
2:30 PM - 3:00 PM DOUBLES LF
3:00 PM - 3:30 PM DOUBLES GF

3:00 PM - 4:15 PM SINGLES WBR1+2: This block is projected to take longer than usual because players who were in GF of doubles will want a little time to eat. There's gonna be a little bit of a window POTENTIALLY to play friendlies. DO NOT PLAY MMs at this time.
4:15 PM - 4:45 PM SINGLES LBR2: 16 matchups in the losers bracket at this point, so 30 minutes because we only have 8 TVs.
4:45 PM - 5:00 PM SINGLES WBR3
5:00 PM - 5:15 PM SINGLES LBR3 - Players in winners, NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO GET FOOD
5:15 PM - 5:30 PM SINGLES LBR4 - Players in winners, NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO GET FOOD
5:30 PM - 5:45 PM SINGLES WQF/LBR5
5:45 PM - 6:00 PM SINGLES WSF/LBR6 - 2 SETUPS PERMANENTLY OPENED UP FOR FRIENDLIES AT THIS TIME
6:00 PM - 6:15 PM SINGLES LBR7 - 5 SETUPS PERMANENTLY OPENED UP FOR FRIENDLIES AT THIS TIME.
6:15 PM - 6:45 PM SINGLES WF/LQF + LSF - 7 SETUPS PERMANENTLY OPENED UP FOR FRIENDLIES AFTER LQFs ARE DONE.
6:45 PM - 7:15 PM SINGLES LF
7:15 PM - 7:45 PM SINGLES GF
7:45 PM onwards - Side Events/Whatever. Venue closes at 2 a.m, remember

V. Miscellaneous
- We can easily accommodate more than 8 setups. It's always better to have more than less, so please show up with setups guys.

- If we end up with more than 32 singles at this first one, there will be some cool venue fee reduction opportunities at the next one. I'll also allow someone to stream the next event for venue fee off as well as one event off.
- Lauren and I actually don't care about DQ'ing people. We're pretty bad at saying no but we're also pretty dead set on wanting to get out as early as possible. You should be too. Crews and side events are fun, and so is going out to eat.
- Try to take cool photographs at this event and post them up afterwards through IG/FB etc. If we see a lot, there will be chances for venue reduction too.

- Re: schedule. I obviously don't expect everything to go perfectly, but in the end all the shorter/longer matches should balance out and the small breaks that people take will balance out also. Trust me.
- Please be responsible and respectful. Smokers (of all kinds), please USE COMMON SENSE.

VI. Contact Information

Me (513) 206-0500 <-- call or text this
Venue (336) 355-7180 <-- call this

clowsui

Smash Legend
SETUP COUNT:
TVs:
1-4. Geeksboro
5. Chi
6. Chris
7. PP
8. Skytch
(more slots added if necessary)
GAMECUBES:
1-2. Geeksboro
3. Chi
4. Jonny
5. Chris
6. PP
7. Skytch
8. Eddie
(more slots added if necessary)

clowsui

Smash Legend
SIDE EVENTS POLL:

Cactuar Stamina Pancake - # of votes: II

[COLLAPSE="Rules"]
$1 entry
Single elimination
70/30 split so 1st doesn't take more than 4th in singles
Cactuar:
- All stages are legal except Icicle Mountain, Brinstar Depths, and Hyrule Temple
- Both players get two bans
- Matches are best of 5

Stamina:
- Stamina Mode

Pancake:
- Players select a random character
- Each player gets one "flip" per game
- A flip is either rerandoming your own character, or forcing the opponent to rerandom, or you can pass
- Loser picks stage
- Winner flips first

Single elimination
[/COLLAPSE]

Melee Squads - # of Votes: I
[COLLAPSE="Rules"]
$1 entry, 3 man squads
Double elimination, top squad takes all the $
If Kevin is on a squad, he's restricted to using Mario
No more than 2 PR'd members can be on a squad.
[/COLLAPSE]

Event Match OR Break the Targets! - # of Votes:

[COLLAPSE="Rules"]
1$ entry
The entrants are split into pools
Each pool will have a randomized event match/BTT to play, with 3 tries. Tiebreaker will be performed through simultaneous play.
The top half of each pool advances into another pool until we come down to a pool of 4. This pool of 4 plays through 3 separate events matches with 2 tries each. Tiebreaker will be simultaneous play among those who tie.

70/30 split so that way we don't end up with people winning more than 4th place in singles
[/COLLAPSE]

Draft Crews - # of Votes:

Project M Squads - # of Votes:

[COLLAPSE="Rules"]
Same rules as Melee squads, but stagelist is as follows:

Battlefield
Dreamland
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1
Yoshi's Story
[/COLLAPSE]

clowsui

Smash Legend
Quadruple post but a few things to note:

1. This event starts at 1:00 unlike last time. This is for two reasons: there's a bake sale going on at the event that I'm sure people would like to grab a snack from, and I think we'd all like a little more time for side events =)
2. There's a side event poll in the third post. Vote for two side events at most please.
3. We will offer venue fee compensation up to the 8th complete setup (AKA up to the 3rd TV/Gamecube pairing brought to the venue). We'll give $3 back for a TV itself, $2 for a Gamecube/Wii. If you guys think this is too conservative, it might be possible to get me or Joe to budge and comp for more setups.
4. Entry has been upped to $10.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I like the idea of the sidde events. I'd certainly like to participate in any of those. If I had to choose, I like Cactuar's Stamina Pancake lolol.

Also, didn't you say that this time there would be discounts for bringing setups? Strange..

And as always, I'm bringing a full set-up.

Top Bottom