• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drinking Age. Should it be lowered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Ok, same debate again. Again, Europe and America are two different cultures. Also, law enforcement is not as strict everywhere as it is in Salou. Again, I know many 18, 19, and 20 year-old friends of my sister who say that in college they should not be trusted with alcohol, because they've often failed assignments due to hangovers, or just deciding to not do them while drunk.
Except that you never finished debating anything, you simply ignored my response. Just about every other country in the world has its drinking age as 18 or under. That's so many different culture's it's ridiculous. You can't just claim that because every culture is different we can't compare anything about any two different populations. Stop repeating this argument, it's not a plausible reason to ignore the rest of the world.

Just like in the rest of the world, if the drinking age were lower we would see much less of "teenage drunk partying" as it is done now. Drinking would be done more so in public and becoming excessively drunk would be frowned upon instead of being considered the norm.

First of all, you're not even out of high school yet, stop babbling about seeing the "real" world. Your sister is in college... how is that much different?! A lot of people are in college. Who cares? Stop using anecdotal evidence, it doesn't count for anything! We already knew that some people drunk drive, that's why it's illegal.

Raising the driving age would be horrible, because how would teens get to work? I think the drinking age is fine where it is. People drink underage in private, and learn their limit far away from most of the populace. If they learn they went over the limit, only drunk people will probably get hurt.
Look, the problems exist today in this country where alcohol-related problems/accidents is at its worst. Another words, as the system stands, we're getting the worst results. You realize that right now its socially acceptable to drink underage? This causes teens to undermine authority and the law creating a society full of neglect. The law has become a line so easily crossable.

We need to turn things around. Keep things that are illegal as socially unacceptable and make drinking less of a big deal. Access to alcohol is incredibly easy for underage drinkers these days. This is the same reason why banning alcohol completely would never work. People would break the law and get it anyways. If the drinking age was lower these things would change.

-blazed

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
You kind of defeated yourself. First you say our culture would work out as well, then you went on to say that drinking underage and breaking the law is socially acceptable. I think our society is pretty irresponsible, when you look at those statements.

Yes, there are many other cultures with the drinking age set at 18, but not a single one is like America. We're one of the only democracies in the world, we have more freedom than any other country(that is not crime-ridden), and we raise out kids differently. If you can, find me the country most similar to America in culture, and we can compare.

We need to crack down on underage drinking, but it's not the parents that lay down peer-pressure, it's the, well, peers. They teach younger kids, those kids teach a younger generation, and it just keeps going. The law enforcement needs to crack down heavily on drinking, including harsher sentences, larger fines, and just more severe punishments overall. I believe the drinking age should be lowered eventually, but not with the way things are run today. After some discipline is laid down, then it should be considered, but not now.

Ok, for the last time, I can't stand people dissing on my age! It means nothing. I was raised in a crime-filled city where you would walk down the street and see homeless people, stolen cars, drinking on the streets, and almost no law enforcement in sight. It's called 'the ghetto' now, just because of such the high crime rate. I don't think many older people have more experience than me on this board. Luckily my family moved after a while, but I've seen a city as bad as it gets here on the west coast, way worse than anything in college or LA or even NY. 'You're only 15' is not some trump card you can pull out to make an argument about the real world in America void, so do not bring it up. It's immature and shows that you have a sense of superiority. By the way, don't try arguing with anything I just stated, about whether or not I was raised in the ghetto or not, anyone living in Tacoma Wa. could tell you large portions are nothing but crimes. My cousin works for drug dealers or something, he won't even tell anyone.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
You kind of defeated yourself. First you say our culture would work out as well, then you went on to say that drinking underage and breaking the law is socially acceptable. I think our society is pretty irresponsible, when you look at those statements.
Except I pointed out quite clearly that it's a direct result of the drinking age being 21. You're completely missing my points. I ask again, if you're so adamant about drinking why not go to the extreme and ban it, go the complete prohibition route... What happened last time we tried to do that? People completely ignored the laws, and it's a line that once crossed, seems like it doesn't matter how many more laws you break while you're at it. If the drinking age were lowered to 18 then there would not be as many college parties where people drink till they throw up and pass out, smoke other illegal substances, break, steal, etc.

Why do you continue to ignore my relevant points? Our culture may be different, but this is a result of our laws. If we changed our laws we would change our culture's outlook.

Yes, there are many other cultures, but not a single one is like America. We're one of the only democracies in the world, we have more freedom than any other country(that is not crime-ridden), and we raise out kids differently. If you can, find me the country most similar to America in culture, and we can compare.
We are not one of the only democracies in the world! Check this out: www.economist.com/media/pdf/DEMOCRACY_TABLE_2007_v3.pdf

The US isn't even ranked among the top 10 democracies. We absolutely do not have more freedom than any other country in the world "(that is not crime-ridden)". Stop holding on to this patriotic dribble. This is still the most stupid argument against evidence: people/cultures are different therefore we can never compare anything about anyone.

This is exactly what I have: almost every other country in the entire world with hundreds of different cultures showing fewer drinking problems with the age being 18 (I'm not saying get rid of it, or lower it to 16, even though countries with that age have few problems as well). This is what you have: they are different.

It's as if I tried to say, look, bashing your children's heads into the wall every day will not make their brains any stronger, look at every other parent in the world, this has never worked and you retort with well, they are different children.

We need to crack down on underage drinking, but it's not the parents that lay down peer-pressure, it's the, well, peers. They teach younger kids, those kids teach a younger generation, and it just keeps going. The law enforcement needs to crack down heavily on drinking, including harsher sentences, larger fines, and just more severe punishments overall. I believe the drinking age should be lowered eventually, but not with the way things are run today. After some discipline is laid down, then it should be considered, but not now.
This is exactly leading to the same road as prohibition. You don't try to see both sides of possibilities/outcomes, you only try to see your own. Larger fines and harsher sentences won't reduce the number of underage drinkers by much, all it would do is hurt society in the long run.

Let me ask you this, why do you think we have juvenile court? Why do judges avoid sending children to jail? Why do they opt either to let them off with community service or with cooperation of some kind? [highlight]What happens to a youth when he starts out going to jail at a very young age?![/highlight]

You're thinking short term, not long term. Even if it were only heavily enforced for young adults between the ages of 18-21 most of them are very young and the same thing applies... Should a kid in the middle of his college career have to ruin his life because he drank some alcohol?

I'm sorry but no matter how you look at this I see no plausible way to keep respect with the law and keep the 21-drinking-age in effect. You can talk all you want about hypothetical situations, but you know what, there's a little thing called history and evidence which contradicts your hypotheses.

Ok, for the last time, I can't stand people dissing on my age! It means nothing. I was raised in a crime-filled city where you would walk down the street and see homeless people, stolen cars, drinking on the streets, and almost no law enforcement in sight. It's called 'the ghetto' now, just because of such the high crime rate. I don't think many older people have more experience than me on this board. Luckily my family moved after a while, but I've seen a city as bad as it gets here on the west coast, way worse than anything in college or LA or even NY. 'You're only 15' is not some trump card you can pull out to make an argument about the real world in America void, so do not bring it up. It's immature and shows that you have a sense of superiority. By the way, don't try arguing with anything I just stated, about whether or not I was raised in the ghetto or not, anyone living in Tacoma Wa. could tell you large portions are nothing but crimes. My cousin works for drug dealers or something, he won't even tell anyone.
I want to point out something very important here: you started off by claiming how you've seen the "real" world while everyone else in the forums hasn't:
I think everyone hear who boasts they're maturity are just arguing blindly for a cause. I've seen the real world, I've seen how things work in the real world.
I said absolutely NOTHING about myself. I did not claim to be above you or anyone else. Stop being hypocritical. It is all too often those who make such claims as these are actually guilty of these crimes themselves : "It's immature and shows that you have a sense of superiority."

If you were truly an experienced and wise individual you would show it through your words and actions, not by making claims of superiority, which is exactly what I was bashing you for earlier.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, F&V. This isn't meant to insult you, but it's pretty easy to tell that you're only 15 just by reading your posts. It's obvious that you're trying to sound older and more mature than you are. You have grammatical errors all over, you use big words incorrectly, and your assertions always fall short of making complete sense. Just talk normally. Just say what you're thinking.

As for your argument: Why must the assumption be made that drinking is inherently wrong? Why does it need any restrictions at all? I hold the same stance on this as I do with the anti-smoking laws: If it isn't hurting anyone but yourself, it ought to be legal. If it is harming others, it ought to be illegal. (Drunk driving laws) If an "underage" person is drinking in the safety of their own home and is not disturbing anyone, I fail to see why the government should mandate that action to be illegal.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
@Blazedaces: As I stated, the drinking age should be lowered, there is no doubt to that. My point is at this point doing so would be wrong. Our society needs to change, and quickly. We're too liberal if you ask me, and we need to take every step to make our country more respectable. I should have read up on the democracies part, but you can't deny that being a democracy, having free enterprise, and being liberal gives some people a little too much freedom to abuse. As far as world powers go, I think we're the most hated. I hate being called a 'stupid American' whenever I go out of the country.

How am I thinking long term anyway? I said that the drinking age needed to be lowered in my last post, but not right now. You even quoted it.

I'll drop the age thing too, as long as people stop using it as an 'end all' argument. Even in your last post you exaggerated my words to make me look contradictory. I have the best come back ever, but it would start a flame war.

@AltF4: That's just how I type, usually I would check for grammatical errors, but screw that, it's summer.

Drinking is not wrong, I just think abusing alcohol like so many do is wrong. When I go to a catholic church I drink, and our country was founded on Christianity. Religiously and socially it is not considered wrong to drink.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
but you can't deny that being a democracy, having free enterprise, and being liberal gives some people a little too much freedom to abuse.
You're right, F&V. We shouldn't be so free. What are we thinking!

Drinking is not wrong, I just think abusing alcohol like so many do is wrong.
It doesn't matter what you think. You have to have a reason to support it. What if I happened to think that caffeine is wrong? Should I be able to deny everyone in the US from consuming it, because it has damaging health effects and I don't like it?

And besides, you essentially agreed with me anyway. Drinking isn't wrong, abusing it is. Why shouldn't an 18 year old be able to enjoy a drink? It is neither wrong (according to you) nor is it hurting anyone else.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Lol at the freedom part. I just hate how people who are different from the average citizen can get more rights than we do(hippies can go in public naked, minorities can be racist, etc.)

Yeah, I know, 18 year olds deserve to drink.... if so many weren't so stupid. Not that I'm saying that most or a lot of 18 year olds would abuse alcohol, but when a decent percentage would go out in public drunk, then it would endanger other people. Our law enforcement needs to crack down on drinking, and DUIs and other alcohol-related crimes need to be punished more harshly.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
A friend of mine showed me this article and I would highly encourage people interested in this debate to read it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/

I would bring up points on both sides that we have raised, comparing and contrasting our opposing view points and showing how both of use are right at certain parts (whoever mentioned the 'alcohol license' I disagreed with earlier, perhaps this is a much better idea than I gave it credit for). But I'm at work right now and don't have much time for that, but I thought others might like to read this and bring up those ideas.

Also obviously this article is pro-lowering the legal drinking age to 18 and covers some reasons I and others on this side have mentioned. I realize this might have a slight bias, but still I would like to see what people opposing this idea have to say in response.

Talk amongst yourselves,

-blazed

Sariku

Smash Master
Lower the Drinking Age? No way.

At least in the United States, the Drinking age is in your early 20's. Europe I heard its in your Mid-to-Late Teens. Now I heard that that hasn't caused too many problems, but it also hasn't caused many problems with the US Drinking Law. Kids as young as the age of 10 has been sneaking/stealing drugs and beer. Now how do you stop that? I couldn't say, but lowering it to lets say... 16 or so. Kid's would still steal and drink.

And then Teens usually get their drivers permitt at the age of 16 in the US. Now if the Drinking Age was lowered to 16, things could get VERY dangerous. It would all depend on how involved their Parents are in checking what their kids are doing, or how responsible teens may be.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
It's not that lowering the drinking age is a bad idea, it's just such a sudden change would be very dangerous. Think about it, if smoking marijuana was legalized today, would you think about going out to buy some marijuana? Back when it was legal to smoke though, there were hardly any problems with it. Teens would need time to adapt to a change such as this, and that would be difficult to accomplish.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
From what I've seen the drinking age should NOT be lowered. The age that it is now seems like its fine.

I know many people that are under age ranging from 13 all the way until 21 that drink, and even smoke for that matter. I have to admit that I have tried it a little myself, I have no idea why underaged people would want to do it so much. But its a large problem, combining this is a handful of the people that I know of that drive without a license and drink is horrible. The percentage of how many teenagers that die in vehicular accidents is large and a decent amount of them are from being intoxicated.

Making the drinking age higher won't really even effect all that much. Parents and guardians just need to watch their children closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom