• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drinking Age. Should it be lowered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Also, in Italy, drinking is part of the culture. Families constantly drink, almost everynight (usually wine) with dinner. They even let their younger kids drink wine. It is a part of their culture, and they are raised understanding and respecting alcohol. This understanding causes their drinking age/ driving age to work perfectly for them. If those ages were put into the US, we would have MAJOR problems. No one ever hears about massive amounts of drunk driving accidents in Italy, and that is because they are raised with a positive atmosphere around alcohol.
No we wouldn't have major problems, because you stated the reason why it works in Italy: raised with a positive atmosphere around alcohol. If american parents were responsible (and we know more and more families have issues about raising kids correctly), they would take in charge the drinking education instead of waiting after the school system.

I hope you acknowledge it's the same for sexual and drugs education; if there's so many problems about it, it's because parents either don't care or don't take the time to show the mysteries surrounding these BASIC things to their kids. Yes, lowering the drinking age is possible, but it would take effort from the families.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
No we wouldn't have major problems, because you stated the reason why it works in Italy: raised with a positive atmosphere around alcohol. If american parents were responsible (and we know more and more families have issues about raising kids correctly), they would take in charge the drinking education instead of waiting after the school system.

I hope you acknowledge it's the same for sexual and drugs education; if there's so many problems about it, it's because parents either don't care or don't take the time to show the mysteries surrounding these BASIC things to their kids. Yes, lowering the drinking age is possible, but it would take effort from the families.
I'm on CF's side here and i must say that he nailed it pretty much on the hammer. The fact of the matter is that if these things were brought up with positive atmosphere and a general awareness of the problem many things would be changed. The parents need to raise their kids to be responsible and with that you would eliminate not only problems with alcohol but along with as cF said, Sexual and drug problems. Parents don't take the time to let their kid become aware and therein lies the true problem.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I agree that the drinking age could and should be lowered to 18, but it would never work like it does in Italy (age 14). Americans do not have the right mindset to teach their children about alcohol at such a young age. Most American parents would just make their own rules about alcohol, and the kids would just go out to the store and buy it themselves. It would be a huge mess, and cause MAJOR PROBLEMS!

cF- I do agree that sex and drug education should be taught in schools, but no way would America do well with such a young drinking age.

cF=)

Smash Lord
cF- I do agree that sex and drug education should be taught in schools, but no way would America do well with such a young drinking age.
I guess you missed my point, which was that sex, alcohol and drugs education should start at home before kids start experimenting on their own. If you don't warn the youth generation about HIV, drunk driving and brain cell damage, they might learn it the hard way or never even have knowledge about it. This is why parents are so important, and why they should stop laying the job of instructing them children over the kindergarten, then the primary school, then secondary school, etc.

14 years old might not be the standard for many american family, but 21 is ludicrous.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I dont think the drinking age show be lowered. most deaths are behind the wheel of most drunk teens. Tenns that drink at a young age will become a "bad boy/girl" Not listening to their parents, staying out late, etc.

If you compare an average teen to those that start to drink, who will have more police records, not respect thier parents more, Sneak into clubs then get busted and be sent who to their parents door, etc.

We have enough drunk driving around as it is. We dont need more deaths behind a 16 year old. Teens this are are not that responsible yet. Really not for drinking. If one drinks at a young age, they can mess up thier life way too early. And with drinking it can lead to other things like drugs, etc.

Me14k

Smash Lord
according to Prof. David J. Hanson “A decrease in the minimum drinking age had no impact on the underage students' consumption rates”. This will just make drinking safer by providing supervision. We need to focus on the safety of those that this problem specifically targets, college students. College campuses are plagued with Excessive amounts of underaged drinking. According to Issues and Controversies "44% of students under 21 claimed to be binge drinkersand only 22% of those over 24. " Underage drinkers are more likely to binge drink, increasing the probability of alcohol poisoning. We must lower the drinking age to allow college drinkers to seek medical help without fear of penalization.
Dark.Pch did you read my starting statement?

This is a statement with evidence to back it up shows exactly how your opinion is wrong.

1.Lower drinking age will make it safer for teens to drink. 2. The average teen does drink so your second paragraph makes no sense. 3. I am proposing to lower age to 18 not 16 as you say in third paragraph.

O and teens are not involved in the most accidents..elderly people are:

Teen dies while driving: 3,657
Teen dies while 21+ persnon is driving: 5,988
(Teen driving fatalities are just over 50% of teen driving fatalities.)
Teens (16-24) account for 25% of all automobile accidents.
The elderly(69+) account for 40% of automobile accidents.(cnn)
Dark.pch now with some real facts we can see that teens are not the leaders in car accidents.

In the future you should read at least the introductory post to a thread before you post. (This goes out to everyone)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
1.Lower drinking age will make it safer for teens to drink.

How? Does that magically make them drink less? No. Does it make them process the alchohol faster? No. Does it make it easier for them to go and get help? Hell no. We have people who are well over the legal drinking age who won't admit to having a problem, so why would making younger people in the drinking age admit to it?

Me14k

Smash Lord
according to Prof. David J. Hanson “A decrease in the minimum drinking age had no impact on the underage students' consumption rates”. This will just make drinking safer by providing supervision.

Does that answer your question mic_128?

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
How does this work?
Drinking Illegal- kids run off and hide, drinking in a secret place

Drinking Legal- kids drink with parental supervision

It's actually quite true, my parents never would have allowed me to drink, my friends did, and he was MUCH safer doing it.

Me14k

Smash Lord
How does this work?
Look at college frats..they are full of 18+ year olds who frequently have parties where drinking is a BIG part. When alchohol is present, there are no adults...

There are often occurances where someone blacks out and no one calls for help because everyone is afraid that they will get introuble for underaged drinking.

By enabling the 18 year olds to drink... There will be mature adults at the parties and teens wont be afraid to call for help.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Wait, why would there be adults at the party? What the hell type of frat party invites people to supervise?

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Wait.. there aren't adults at frat parties?

... No wonder I've been getting weird looks from people when I bring my parents...

In truth the age limit has very little to do with the drinking problems of the youth. Alcohol is merely a way to let loose and break some rules for most teenagers today. The younger ones, even some of the 18/19 crowd, have never really been educated about how to drink sensibly. I have German friends who have said that they've never seen so many out of control kids with alcohol. It's just because they're teens and they don't know how to handle themselves.

So would lowering the drinking age help fix problems? Probably not. Will proper education about alcohol help? Yes. The current way that parents go about teaching their kids about alcohol is to ban it until they can drink it and leave it at that. They don't show them how to drink properly.

And well, it would help a hell of a lot to remove a lot of the stima surrounding alcohol. But that's hard to do in a nation so set in its ways.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
By enabling the 18 year olds to drink... There will be mature adults at the parties and teens wont be afraid to call for help.
This creates at slippery slope. If you are allowing 18 year olds to drink, 16 year olds will still have to sneak around to drink, so it's highly unsafe for them. Well, might as well make it legal so it's safe, right? Then you keep going lower.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Not to mention the fact that you then have younger people starting to drink because they're now closer to drinking age.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Although i'm with you on lowering the drinking age, i don't get where your going with the supervision part.

Just because it's lowered does not mean kids are going to start drinking with their parents, there will still be plenty of out of control parties in which adults are not allowed to attend and the kids themselves would go out of control with their alcohol consumption.

The only way to truly be safe is to properly educate your kids at an early age about alcohol, and not just the "Don't do it or you will die in a car accident" part.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Just because it's lowered does not mean kids are going to start drinking with their parents, there will still be plenty of out of control parties in which adults are not allowed to attend and the kids themselves would go out of control with their alcohol consumption.

The only way to truly be safe is to properly educate your kids at an early age about alcohol, and not just the "Don't do it or you will die in a car accident" part.
We do educate against alcohol..its not effective enough.

Many teen go to 'secret hide outs' to drink. If it was legal for them to consume they could drink in someone's house when their parents were present.

Also we must look to the many frat parties where there are no adults (and adults still wont be present even if the drinking age is lowered.) If someone passes out from alcohol help is often not called for because the underaged drinkers are afraid to get in trouble themselves. by lowering the drinking age it will also eliminate the fear to go get help.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
We do educate against alcohol..its not effective enough.

Many teen go to 'secret hide outs' to drink. If it was legal for them to consume they could drink in someone's house when their parents were present.

Also we must look to the many frat parties where there are no adults (and adults still wont be present even if the drinking age is lowered.) If someone passes out from alcohol help is often not called for because the underaged drinkers are afraid to get in trouble themselves. by lowering the drinking age it will also eliminate the fear to go get help.
Ok you obviously didn't pay attention to what i posted. I do not wish for people to educate against alcohol. I would much rather kid's are educated about responsibility with alcohol, maybe have some drinks with the family. Saying that if it was legal would mean they would drink with the parents around also relys on the fact if they were taught to nurse their drinks and to not drink recklessly. Otherwise could you see a kid getting trashed with his family... No, he would still go to houses without parents to drink irresponsibly.

At that point in your example of a frat party, its not even the fact that they are afraid to get help, usually because they didn't drink responsibly and they are to trashed to help or notice something is wrong. In essence, the drinking age should be lowered, but people NEED TO BE EDUCATED about alcohol, not against it

McCloud

That doesn't make any sense at all. You're isolating one group of people (college kids) while you're leaving the rest of the underage drinking population out of the equation. What about the 16 year olds that are drinking due to the lower age limit who had one of their pals get alcohol poisoning? They'd be in the same situation the 18 year olds were in during the 21 drinking limit.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Except worse, because their bodies can't handle as much as the older ones.

cF=)

Smash Lord
But they can consume and drink alcohol in their own/somebody else's house. They go in 'secret hide outs' because their parents are all but in agreement with underage drinking. It's not illegal for a parent to buy a 6 pack, come back home, and make his kid drink while teaching him the effects. Like KevinM and I have said from the beginning, while we agree with lowering the drinking age from 21 to whatever, you need to understand this won't change how teenagers and kids consume.
Except worse, because their bodies can't handle as much as the older ones.
Age doesn't really matter in this situation because some teens weight 150 pounds and can drink a few beers before they get dizzy. Alcohol resistance is increased when you are used to drink (like anything else, almost). Lowering the drinking age could help people find their 'limit' sooner instead of jumping eyes closed into your first beers when you have the right to buy some.

cF=)

Smash Lord
It is illegal to supply alcohol to any underaged person, period.
When then, lower the drinking age, and start the education.
Especially if being a responsible parent means you're a criminal.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
But they can cousume and drink alcohol in their own/somebody else's house.
But that's not cool. You gotta go somewhere away from the rents so you can do the cool stuff, dude.

Seriously, I don't forsee the age being lowered then having people go "Wow, now we can drink at home with our parents!"

Age doesn't really matter in this situation because some teens weight 150 pounds and can drink a few beers before they get dizzy.
I'd forgotten about that. Problem is, "my older brother can drink X beers so i can do it too" where X is the number of beers the older (and lets face it, 99% of the time, bigger) brother can drink without passing out, which is still too much for the younger kid.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Seriously, I don't forsee the age being lowered then having people go "Wow, now we can drink at home with our parents!"
Wait, you're quoting what I quoted from somebody else ? That's not even my words :(

I'd forgotten about that. Problem is, "my older brother can drink X beers so i can do it too" where X is the number of beers the older (and lets face it, 99% of the time, bigger) brother can drink without passing out, which is still too much for the younger kid.
Because brothers will go at the same frats and know how much beers one can drink ? Before passing out, your hands won't have enough grip to hold a beer and drive it in your mouth. People who pass out are often on strong alcohol because, by the time you have finished your shooter, you don't feel the effects. Then you go on another one, another one, another... until you either pass out or regurgitate the same amount of liquid you had drink.

I also don't have a brother. Case closed.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wait, you're quoting what I quoted from somebody else ? That's not even my words :(
Might want to edit your post with quote tags then.

Because brothers will go at the same frats
Who would want to bring their younger brother to a frat party?

and know how much beers one can drink?
If the age was lowered to 18, then the 15-16s would start drinking. They didn't go before because they figured that 5-6 years was a bit much so they didn't drink, but now it's only 2 years, lets see if we can do what our brother can do, he's only 2 years older, we can do the same stuff.

Before passing out, your hands won't have enough grip to hold a beer and drive it in your mouth.
Sorry, but that's crap. You can pass out slowly, yes, but you can also pass out *snap* like that. I've known people who can be fine, talking, drinking and then bam, like they got knockd over the head, they're down.

People who pass out are often on strong alcohol because, by the time you have finished your shooter, you don't feel the effects. Then you go on another one, another one, another... until you either pass out or regurgitate the same amount of liquid you had drink.
More proof. Wow, I just drank a whole bottle of Vodka and I feel fine, whooooo! Urk *passes out*

And those 2 options aren't the only ones. There's number 3 where they pass out AND vomit, which brings in Mr Choking hazzard.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Who would want to bring their younger brother to a frat party?
Oh god, don't cut my sentences in half and misinterpret everything I said. My point was exactly what you said: why would brothers go the same frat and know how much beers each others can drink ? You don't come to your younger brother saying "I can drink 8 beers before feeling effects, try and beat me sucka".

If the age was lowered to 18, then the 15-16s would start drinking. They didn't go before because they figured that 5-6 years was a bit much so they didn't drink, but now it's only 2 years, lets see if we can do what our brother can do, he's only 2 years older, we can do the same stuff.
Bull**** assumption, don't tell me if the minimum drinking age was 40 years old that teenagers wouldn't start drinking anyways. Also, a 2 years older brother won't hold much more alcohol than his younger brother, making your first argument completely flawed.

You could think of it the other way around; when lowering the minimum drinking age, why wouldn't 15-16 years old wait for their first drink because '2 years isn't that much to be legal' ?

Sorry, but that's crap. You can pass out slowly, yes, but you can also pass out *snap* like that. I've known people who can be fine, talking, drinking and then bam, like they got knockd over the head, they're down.
I've never witnessed ANYBODY pass out on alcoholic beverage lower than 40%, so you might want to take pictures of someone 'suddenly' passing out while drinking a beer.

More proof. Wow, I just drank a whole bottle of Vodka and I feel fine, whooooo! Urk *passes out*
This is not a proof, because I rebuted the possibility of passing out on a beer. Passing out on strong alcohol is easier, like I explained in my last post, because the sudden amount of alcohol driving through your brain will indeed make you pass out or worse, put you in a coma-like state. I don't see however what is the point of all this because a 17 years old falling on the effects will have the same problem as a 19 years old, so you might want to explain me what's the link with lowering minimal drinking age.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You don't come to your younger brother saying "I can drink 8 beers before feeling effects, try and beat me sucka".
I do have a few friends who their brother used to tell all these stories about what he did at parties, including how he managed to get a new record of shots.

Bull**** assumption, don't tell me if the minimum drinking age was 40 years old that teenagers wouldn't start drinking anyways. Also, a 2 years older brother won't hold much more alcohol than his younger brother, making your first argument completely flawed.
Whoi's making assumptions? I'm telling you fact. Over here in Australia we lowered the drinking age to 18 from 21 and instead of having 17-18 year olds drinking we now have 14 year olds drinking, and less common, younger, street drinking. The Gold Coast isn't a pretty place outside the touristy areas. Is it the fault of their parents and a lot of other factors? Yes, but lowering the age also helped create the situation.

You could think of it the other way around; when lowering the minimum drinking age, why wouldn't 15-16 years old wait for their first drink because '2 years isn't that much to be legal' ?
"Because I'm mature enough to handle it" is what they think. I thought that myself, except I had the self control not to drink. (Partly because I know I have a sort of adictive personality and didn't want to risk it. Turns out I hate the taste of the stuff anyway.)

I've never witnessed ANYBODY pass out on alcoholic beverage lower than 40%, so you might want to take pictures of someone 'suddenly' passing out while drinking a beer.
Alright, fine. They drop the beer and then pass out within seconds after. Better?

I don't see however what is the point of all this because a 17 years old falling on the effects will have the same problem as a 19 years old, so you might want to explain me what's the link with lowering minimal drinking age.
Fair enough, but here's the point. The idea behind lowering the age is "There's already underage people drinking, lets lower the age so that it's legal for them and they'll do less stupid and risky things now that it's legal" except they DONT and all it does is get younger people to drink. It's a flawed idea. Nice in theory, but in practise blows bigtime.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I don't see what the problem is when 16 year old people are having a beer. Really, you guys are only putting attention the worst case scenarios. Maybe it's just like that where you live but here in the Netherlands it really isn't like that. Not all teenagers are passing out. I've only gotten drunk 2 times in my life(and not even real drunk like not able to walk straightly anymore), but I do drink quite often. I just know my limit. (I'll be turning 17 on Juli 18th btw).

Over here in the Netherlands the minimal drinking age for drinks with low alcohol percentages(beer) is 16 and for drinks with higher percentages(pure whiskey) 18. This is good because the low percentage drinks will help you to get to know your limits instead of jumping right over them before you consider taking higher percentages of alcohol.

Also, isn't it a bit hypocrite that you can drive when you are 16, something that is pretty dangerous and lethal when you don't know what you are doing, and can only drink when you are 21, which is only lethal when you're drunk AND driving. Over here you can get your driver license when you're 18, but until your 25th(or 23rd, can't remember) you have something that's called a 'point-license'. It works like this, you have a number of points, and when you do something illegal(like speeding, drunk driving etc.) you'll loose points. When you're down to zero, you'll loose your license. Also, if I remember correctly, when you are caught driving with an higher alcohol than allowed, you'll loose you're drivers license AND must pay over 300 euros or something in that direction.

So what I think is that it's okay to lower the age, but you'll need to higher the driving age, which is what I think inherently more dangerous than alcohol.

Meh... I hope this post makes sense because I'm feeling quite tired so I'm not really able to check myself.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough, but here's the point. The idea behind lowering the age is "There's already underage people drinking, lets lower the age so that it's legal for them and they'll do less stupid and risky things now that it's legal" except they DONT and all it does is get younger people to drink. It's a flawed idea. Nice in theory, but in practise blows bigtime.
Way wrong. That may be "your' idea why people want to lower the drinking age, but it sure as hell isn't mine. I think it should be lowered because I don't see how 21 is the magical number. You are only mature enough to buy/consume alcohol when you are 21. That is a load of crap. If you are an adult (18 years old) and can live on your own, be tried in court as an adult, vote, die for your country, then you are sure as hell old enough to drink alcohol. If you think an 18 year old is responsible enough to do all those things, but not responsible enough to drink alcohol, I would like to see your logic there.

No one is saying, hey since kids are drinking alcohol, lets make it legal for them so they don't get in trouble. That is ludicrous, and doesn't make any sense. No one would even debate this if that was the real reason.

Like I said earlier, I lived in Italy for 4 years, and the drinking age their is 14. It works perfectly fine over there. They don't have a bunch of 10 and 11 year olds getting smashed because "hey I'm close the the drinking age." The key to their success of course is how they are raised and taught about alcohol by their parents. Also, like riciardos said, the driving age is 18. I think that is a big part.

In regard to 16-17 year olds drinking because they are closer to the drinking age, they have a lot less freedom than 18 year olds do. Parents usually keep closer tabs on their 16 year old daughter that just got her license, than their 18 year old daughter that is about to graduate. Also, 18 year olds have an easier time getting the alcohol. There are more 18 year olds that have their own cars and that have jobs than there are 16 and 17 year olds.

Give me a good reason that a 20 year old is not mature enough to buy/consume alcohol, but a 21 year old person is. There is a big difference with the responsibilities of 17 and 18 year olds. They are considered adults, and have way more responsibilities. 21 is not a magic number, and sure as hell doesn't stop anyone younger that is an adult from not drinking if they really wanted too. 18 year olds have the resources to easily get the alcohol if they want, because they are mature enough to handle it. Some live on their own, have jobs and money, or are in college, living on their own. You can't stop an adult from doing something if they just have to wait a couple of years before they can do it.

It is like saying hey, your 18 now, an adult, well almost an adult, we are going to give you all the responsibilities of an adult, punish you like an adult, but not all the freedoms, because ... well... I'm not really sure why, I know because I said so. Bull ****

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
My brother drank underage, and know he is unemployed, just moved out and into my grandmas' house, and for now is just using his life savings to buy food.

The severe physiological effects of alcohol should not be ignored. Alcohol kills brain cells, and believe what you want, but it also breeds a lack of responsibility(unless that's what cause the drinking). In the years when teens brains are developing and they are college bound it is simply unbelievable that some people decide to kill off their brain cells.

If you are an adult (18 years old) and can live on your own, be tried in court as an adult, vote, die for your country, then you are sure as hell old enough to drink alcohol. If you think an 18 year old is responsible enough to do all those things, but not responsible enough to drink alcohol, I would like to see your logic there.
I see your point here, but I think that the second you turn 18 responsibility isn't exactly your priority. That magic day when teenagers can leave home should they be allowed to get buzzed and go off doing stupid things? The day after graduation would be a madhouse, and I can't see law enforcement putting up with that. Also, some 18 year olds will not be done with puberty. They will still be growing and will have bodies ill-equipped for consuming drugs(even caffeine, to an extent). 21 is the perfect age. It give people time to get their prioties straight.

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
My brother drank underage, and know he is unemployed, just moved out and into my grandmas' house, and for now is just using his life savings to buy food.

The severe physiological effects of alcohol should not be ignored. Alcohol kills brain cells, and believe what you want, but it also breeds a lack of responsibility(unless that's what cause the drinking). In the years when teens brains are developing and they are college bound it is simply unbelievable that some people decide to kill off their brain cells.
In almost every case of underage drinking, negative things cause the drinking, not the other way around, it simply hasn't had enough time to negatively effect your life.
I see your point here, but I think that the second you turn 18 responsibility isn't exactly your priority. That magic day when teenagers can leave home should they be allowed to get buzzed and go off doing stupid things? The day after graduation would be a madhouse, and I can't see law enforcement putting up with that. Also, some 18 year olds will not be done with puberty. They will still be growing and will have bodies ill-equipped for consuming drugs(even caffeine, to an extent). 21 is the perfect age. It give people time to get their prioties straight.
This is the standard 'If drugs were legalized everyone would do them' argument. You don't take into account that most people who want to do it already do it, regardless of the laws. This applies to both drugs and underaged drinking. The argument simply doesn't hold water because almost no one wants to do something, but stops because of the legality.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
This is the standard 'If drugs were legalized everyone would do them' argument. You don't take into account that most people who want to do it already do it, regardless of the laws. This applies to both drugs and underaged drinking. The argument simply doesn't hold water because almost no one wants to do something, but stops because of the legality.
The difference is if it were legal, they would be doing it in public. Almost as many teens drink as adults, and they are usually less responsible with alcohol.

In almost every case of underage drinking, negative things cause the drinking, not the other way around, it simply hasn't had enough time to negatively effect your life.
Have you ever been to a part of Mexico that isn't tourist-friendly? Their are drunk kids getting into fights, committing crimes, and disrespecting their parents. Out of several other countries I must say I've never seen people with so little discipline. Contrary to any theory someone may have, this is living proof(and not in the least bit exaggerated) that allowing teenagers to drink is not a good idea. There were young children, teens, and even adults committing these heinous acts.

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever been to a part of Mexico that isn't tourist-friendly? Their are drunk kids getting into fights, committing crimes, and disrespecting their parents. Out of several other countries I must say I've never seen people with so little discipline. Contrary to any theory someone may have, this is living proof(and not in the least bit exaggerated) that allowing teenagers to drink is not a good idea. There were young children, teens, and even adults committing these heinous acts.
Explain how the alcohol caused that, and not their environment.

McCloud

Ric:

The car to alcohol argument doesn't hold. Kids can drive at 16 yes but they're trained for at least 6 months to do so. Then they have to pass tests. Alcohol consumption on the other hand requires no prior learning experience or testing.

The same point system is implemented in most of the states, and DUI is usually a felony.

You don't see the problem of drinking in the Netherlands because it's a part of your culture to drink properly. American culture takes alcohol in this fashion:

1) Get a ton of beer
2) drink
3) drink
4) drink

People don't know how or when to stop here. That's the problem. It's because the kids that get to the alcohol are inexperienced and most are doing it away from anyone who actually would know how to handle themselves with alcohol. Most kids that do it are first timers that overdo it cause their friends who should be watching them are too busy partying, puking, and passing out.

~McC

cF=)

Smash Lord
You don't see the problem of drinking in the Netherlands because it's a part of your culture to drink properly. American culture takes alcohol in this fashion:

1) Get a ton of beer
2) drink
3) drink
4) drink
That's not american culture, that's american education.

See, when you say kids have problems controlling themselves, it's because they haven't been teached on how to properly drink and when they should stop. How you learn your limits ? By drinking. But it seems like the main thing busy parents teach today is prohibition in every domain: sex, drugs, and alcohol.

How do you want inexperienced teenagers to drink properly when EVERYWHERE they're told it's bad to drink ?

McCloud

Same difference in this situation. Kids see it in movies going back as far as Animal House/frat party 23/whatever. It's as much their conditioning as their parents teaching them.

I would extend this argument but I'm running rather late to college orientation... so hold your thoughts till Wednesday please? :D

~McC

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
The difference is if it were legal, they would be doing it in public. Almost as many teens drink as adults, and they are usually less responsible with alcohol.

You should read the entire thread before you start debating. I have already given proof that a country (Italy) which has a drinking age of 14 has less problems with alcohol consumption than we do. Alcohol in excess may do some damage to your brain cells, but actually it is healthy to drink it in moderation, as it helps prevent heart attacks. (red wine)

Just because your brother is irresponsible, does not mean that other people are not mature enough to control their alcohol consumption and keep a job. Your point it irrelevant.

Allowing teenagers to drink would help them become educated on the proper way to consume alcohol. Having them wait until 21 because some people are late bloomers is a ludicrous statement. I hope that is not the only reason you have to keep the age there. You are not allowed to drink because you might grow a few inches, give me a break, then coffee should be illegal until 21, because it will stunt your growth. Come on, really?

Like Kalypso said, just because it is legal, doesn't mean everyone will do it. Obviously if it was made legal today, I don't think that you would go out and get smashed, would you. If and 18, 19, 20 year old wants to drink, they can easily find ways to do it, and there isn't a good reason they shouldn't be allowed to. Minors have a harder time than 18-20yr olds when it comes to getting alcohol, but really it still isn't that hard. There are so many countries that have lower drinking ages than ours, with less problems it almost seems like the age is part of the problem.

Teens drink and drive because they have to go to someone else's house to do it, and then they have to come home. If it was legal for them to do it, they are more likely to do it in their own house, causing less drinking and driving. I'm not saying that it would eliminate drinking and driving, but help slow it down.

I don't see one good reason as to why the legal drinking age should be 21. Can you give me one?

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
You should read the entire thread before you start debating. I have already given proof that a country (Italy) which has a drinking age of 14 has less problems with alcohol consumption than we do. Alcohol in excess may do some damage to your brain cells, but actually it is healthy to drink it in moderation, as it helps prevent heart attacks. (red wine)
Italy and America are two different cultures. You have to realize that. As many others have stated, it's been taught how to drink alcohol responsibly. While here, it's accepted to go out and party, and get drunk. We have grown men having problems partying it up, and getting drunk, what makes you think we can have 18 year olds drink responsively. There are alot of 18+ who don't drink because it's illegal, mainly because they don't want to get caught. If you make it legal, there is nothing barring them from partying it up, and this will add way more DUI's and uncontrolled drinking bouts.

Teens drink and drive because they have to go to someone else's house to do it, and then they have to come home. If it was legal for them to do it, they are more likely to do it in their own house, causing less drinking and driving. I'm not saying that it would eliminate drinking and driving, but help slow it down.
Actually it would increase drinking and driving. Bars would now become legal places for teenagers to drink, and where drinking is encouraged. That means an increase in driving.

I don't see one good reason as to why the legal drinking age should be 21. Can you give me one?

I just gave you two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom