• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DREAD IS REAL! - E.M.M.I. for Smash Ultimate + Metroid Dread Hype Thread

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
emm.png

What is E.M.M.I. exactly?
According to the Metroid Dread Report, the Extraplanetary Multiform Mobile Identifiers—or E.M.M.I.—are highly agile, large research robots that were dispatched to planet ZDR by the Galactic Federation to capture and extract DNA from unknown creatures. But now, for some reason, they are on a relentless chase to capture Samus. They hunt down Samus throughout the game, amping up the classic sense of dread that Metroid is known for. From what we have seen, it looks like they will be central to Dread's gameplay and the game's main antagonistic force. They have been hyped up by Nintendo quite a bit, with the Dread report stating that, "the E.M.M.I. will bring change to the world of Metroid."

Isn't E.M.M.I. a bit too...new to be added to Ultimate?
Yes, Fighters Pass 2 is almost complete, and Metroid Dread isn't even out yet. Surely, they wouldn't add a character from a game that won't be released for a few months, right? Well funny enough, we've seen stuff like this happen time and time again. Since Smash is a Nintendo franchise, Sakurai often has access to early builds and character designs. This is how we were able to get characters like Greninja and Incineroar, despite their games being in development at the same time as Smash 4 and Ultimate, respectively. And infamously, both Corrin and Byleth were added to Smash less than a year after their games' were released. In Corrin's case, they were announced before Fates had even received its worldwide release. Clearly, there is precedent for character's like this making it in to Smash. Frankly, if past trends are anything to go by, it might actually be likely for a promotional character like this to close out the Fighters Pass. In the case of Metroid Dread...well, the game has been rumored for over a decade, and has surely been in development for a few years, allowing for more than enough time for Sakurai to have potentially gotten a peak at the game during its development. We know that Fighters Pass 2 will be complete before the end of the year and Dread is set to release in the beginning of October, meaning that it could easily be released around the same time as Challenger Pack #11.

How would E.M.M.I. play as a fighter?
Well, we only know so much at the moment. The protective plating on the E.M.M.I. is said to be made of the strongest stuff in the universe. Samus’ attacks bounce clean off them, so in the context of Smash, they would likely be incredibly heavy and difficult to K.O. And given the fact that it's 'Game Over' once it captures you, I imagine that it would be very powerful once it gets up close. In Dread, they come straight after their target and ruthlessly kill in one stab. The E.M.M.I. would likely focus on powerful, punishing moves that would require it to get up close. Combos and zoning capabilities would probably be lacking to complement this playstyle.

There are seven different E.M.M.I. units in Metroid Dread, each with their own unique abilities. There is a lime-green unit capable of fitting in small gaps, and a yellow unit with the ability to speed boost. Between all of the different units, there is not only potential for some cool palette swaps, but also some good sources to pull from for E.M.M.I.'s moveset.

But honestly, the way E.M.M.I. moves is what really intrigues me. The manner in which it contorts its limbs and climbs around on the walls is utterly bizarre in the best way. It's unlike anything else on Ultimate's roster and it would be amazing to see how Sakurai could incorporate its abnormal movement into Smash.

Sadly though, we still don't know much, but given that it is a deadly robot, I'm sure that it has plenty of crazy attacks and abilities that we've yet to see.

--------------------------------------------------------
So how do you feel about the idea of E.M.M.I. being playable in Smash Ultimate? Do you have any ideas about how it could be implemented as a fighter? How hyped are you for Metroid Dread? Have you also been watching the trailer every night before you go to bed, or is it just me? Please let me know!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Of all Metroid characters, this is one I think I would enjoy.
Much more interesting than Sylux.

Still... not the choice I would go with for a Nintendo character, new franchise or repped franchise...if it were my option.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
If these things actually end up playing the main role of antagonist throughout Dread I could see this. It’s certainly unique and interesting.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Damn... as a devoted Metroid fan myself (can't believe it's a sequel of Fusion and even has elements from Samus Returns), I'll give all of my support for this!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Damn... as a devoted Metroid fan myself (can't believe it's a sequel of Fusion and even has elements from Samus Returns), I'll give all of my support for this!
Fusion is possibly my favorite Metroid game (aside from maybe Zero Mission) largely thanks to SA-X. The segments where you have to run/hide from it are so exhilarating and added a really cool sense of horror throughout the entire game. It looks like Dread is really gonna lean into that concept and I could not be more happy about it. This is easily the most excited I've ever been for a Metroid game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Imagine Metroid being the game that went from an "underrepped" two, to a near bloated five, in Ultimate.
I wouldn't be unhappy about Metroid, but I would have a banana shaped hole in my heart.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know what? I support! But I wanna play the game for myself whenever I can so I can get an idea of how E.M.M.I. could play.

BTW, here's an E.M.M.I. Spirit Battle I made:
E.M.M.I..png E.M.M.I. (Metroid Dread)
Class: ★★★
Type: Support (Attack)
Cost: ⬡
Effect: Death's Scythe Equipped
  • Puppet Fighter: Giant :ultridley: (Color 8)
  • Stage: :frigate:
  • Music Track: Sector 1
  • Match: Stamina (200HP)
  • Conditions:
    • The enemy has super armor and is hard to launch or make flinch
    • The enemy favors down specials
    • The enemy's grabs and throws have increased power

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
All Metroid characters (except Adam Malkovich) gets automatic support from me on principle.
Everything about that statement is admirable.
I think E.M.M.I would make for an awesome Smash character. If it doesn’t make it for DLC this game, I think it is a really solid first party character for the next game.
Definitely. I really feel like E.M.M.I. has a future in the Metroid series and are a really cool sign of things to come. They’ve been building up the Galactic Federation as becoming more and more shady overtime, and I feel like corrupted artificial intelligence will only become a more prominent threat as the series progresses. Especially considering Samus is basically half-Metroid since the events of Fusion.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Definitely. I really feel like E.M.M.I. has a future in the Metroid series and are a really cool sign of things to come. They’ve been building up the Galactic Federation as becoming more and more shady overtime, and I feel like corrupted artificial intelligence will only become a more prominent threat as the series progresses. Especially considering Samus is basically half-Metroid since the events of Fusion.
Honestly idk how much I agree with this. The E.M.M.I. as of now look super cool and if they have a ton of different configurations or attacks I could even see them working in Smash, even as just an Assist Trophy, based on just this one game. That said... do they make sense as recurring villains at all? Like plot-wise. Plus Metroid already has maybe a few too many recurring villains...

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Do I expect this? No. Maybe as promotional stuff at best.
Do I want this? Hell yes! Just the general concept behind it makes me want to play/play against this thing. I love characters that have an emphasis on fear and that seems to be E.M.M.I.'s entire game plan. So I definitely support them!

Hopefully it won't take as long as Ridley to get in :3

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
That said... do they make sense as recurring villains at all? Like plot-wise. Plus Metroid already has maybe a few too many recurring villains...
They probably make more sense than most of the other recurring villains tbh. The way Ridley is constantly wounded, killed, frozen, etc. only to be resurrected in some way has always been ridiculous. The E.M.M.I. are robots, so having them be continuously reassembled is a bit more believable if you ask me.

Plus, even if the E.M.M.I. doesn’t end up reappearing, I still feel that “corrupt A.I.” will likely be a recurring threat.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not like Metroid is a realistic series to begin with. Ridley coming back isn't anymore ridiculous than some of the other things that have happened or people want to happen (such and such boss returning).

E.M.M.I. would be fine as a staple too though. Like Ridley, it has possibly some Xenomorph inspiration with the body shape which makes it cool with me.

Count me as a supporter too I suppose. There's Sylux too of course, but E.M.M.I. and the currently unnamed malicious Chozo seem like they would be potentially more interesting.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I'm a huge Metroid fan, and I'd definitely rather end with some big third party character from a franchise that isn't already represented in Smash... but that being said, EMMI would be a cool addition. There really aren't any fighters like it on the roster.

I'd definitely be okay with this, though its not my top choice.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
E.M.M.I. would be fine as a staple too though. Like Ridley, it has possibly some Xenomorph inspiration with the body shape which makes it cool with me.

Count me as a supporter too I suppose. There's Sylux too of course, but E.M.M.I. and the currently unnamed malicious Chozo seem like they would be potentially more interesting.
That flippin' game. I just can't avoid it because it gets brought up everywhere I go ever since I got VR! I'm gonna buy it now and get the VR mod because out of all genres of games, I think horror improves the most. I never get scared in "flat screen" games unless it's fear of a loss of progress. VR on the other hand terrifies the heck out of me even with mild scares.
Hopefully getting the game will satisfy my need for a VR Metroid game until 10 years from now when Nintendo properly tries VR. Three of the biggest things that get boosted from VR is horror, looking at & interacting with the environment, and shooters. Metroid is a combination of all those so it sounds like perfection.

I think it'd be awesome to go in VR and see an E.M.M.I towering over you. Then when run you can turn your head to check if it's chasing you causing you to fumble and get more panicked. Hopefully the E.M.M.I will stay around long enough to be seen in VR. Even if it works off a cheat sheet from alien isolation, it's really dang effective at spooking the heck out of people.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Some more lore on the Chozo:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Some more lore on the Chozo:
nothing new so far?

Baba

Smash Journeyman
While we could potentially see a Metroid Dread themed spirit board event, I really don't see the E.M.M.I. being the final DLC fighter.
I also don't see EMMI as the last fighter, but it would be cool. Metroid got a lot of love in Ultimate so I can't really complain.

I still have a conspiracy theory that Sylux was planned for this game at some point. He's the only bounty hunter from MPH that stuck around and remained relevant in the story- yet he has no spirit in game. I think he was probably planned as DLC early on as a cross-promotional thing for Metroid Prime 4... until that whole thing fell apart and got delayed into oblivion.

If we were to get another Metroid character, I still think Sylux is a little more likely than EMMI, but either would be cool.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I also don't see EMMI as the last fighter, but it would be cool. Metroid got a lot of love in Ultimate so I can't really complain.

I still have a conspiracy theory that Sylux was planned for this game at some point. He's the only bounty hunter from MPH that stuck around and remained relevant in the story- yet he has no spirit in game. I think he was probably planned as DLC early on as a cross-promotional thing for Metroid Prime 4... until that whole thing fell apart and got delayed into oblivion.

If we were to get another Metroid character, I still think Sylux is a little more likely than EMMI, but either would be cool.
thats based on the assumption that they are gonna carry on with their original plan for mp4

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Spirit concept for the E.M.M.I...
  • Name: E.M.M.I.
  • Series: Metroid
  • Class: Ace
  • Type: Grab
  • Support Slots: 3
  • Ability: Weight ↑
  • Power: 3180 - 9540
  • Attack: 800 - 2400
  • Defense: 2200 - 6600

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Nintendo showing off new scenes of Metroid Dread.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
Top Bottom