• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Drastic Improvement

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Wait so in the learning section do you want me to record mus example fox vs marth or you want me to record want im losing to and find options to that problem.

D

Deleted member

really i encourage people to write down everything. putting stuff into writing is a powerful tool.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Isnt better to just use google drive to record information its alot better. Plus i keep making mistakes using my pen and i cant erase it so....

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
really i encourage people to write down everything. putting stuff into writing is a powerful tool.
Also the whole thing about not playing a match thoughtless(Autopilot style) is bad but overthinking is a bad thing too. It hinders your performance by second guessing alot but it helps you adapt to a match easier. One of hugs post stated that sometimes you just need your instincts help you and just clear your mind. You just need to do things naturally.

D

Deleted member

when you're trying to learn, usually over-thinking is a good thing because you're more likely to come across a solution for whatever issue you're having. if you're over-thinking in tournament, it's still okay because you can use the tournament as a learning tool too. you might do worse that at that particular event, but in the long run i think over-thinking things is fine.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
How can i improve my punish game, its just as important as neutral game also and comboing.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
In reference to over-thinking, it's about finding a good balance. I once talked to Dr. Pee Pee, and he told me that he focused on one particular thing he needed to work on improving, and only focused and thought about nailing that one thing while he played matches (playing naturally otherwise) until he felt like he mastered that thing enough to move onto focusing on something else. The problem with "overthinking" in not that you're being too analytical or thoughtful, it's that you're trying to do/fix too many things at once. Improvement is a form of change, and change needs to be gradual in order to really work effectively.

As for improving your punish game, the obvious piece of advice is making sure your execution is on point. You need to spend a lot of time practicing versus whatever you can, computers or people, and just grind out your punish game. The next step is figuring out how to counter what your opponent is doing, and actually punish them. So if they're spamming something, like grabs, you have to analyze that and think about how your character can not only counter grabs, but shut them down and/or fully punish it. This question is really too character-specific for me to give further advice on until you give me the character you have in mind, or alternatively you can just ask in the character-specific subforums. But you are right in that a punish game is incredibly important. In layman's terms, if you can't effectively give your opponent a reason to be scared of doing things, then they'll just keep doing things.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
In reference to over-thinking, it's about finding a good balance. I once talked to Dr. Pee Pee, and he told me that he focused on one particular thing he needed to work on improving, and only focused and thought about nailing that one thing while he played matches (playing naturally otherwise) until he felt like he mastered that thing enough to move onto focusing on something else. The problem with "overthinking" in not that you're being too analytical or thoughtful, it's that you're trying to do/fix too many things at once. Improvement is a form of change, and change needs to be gradual in order to really work effectively.

As for improving your punish game, the obvious piece of advice is making sure your execution is on point. You need to spend a lot of time practicing versus whatever you can, computers or people, and just grind out your punish game. The next step is figurig out how to counter what your opponent is doing, and actually punish them. So if they're spamming something, like grabs, you have to analyze that and think about how your character can not only counter grabs, but shut them down and/or fully punish it. This question is really too character-specific for me to give further advice on until you give me the character you have in mind, or alternatively you can just ask in the character-specific subforums. But you are right in that a punish game is incredibly important. In layman's terms, if you can't effectively give your opponent a reason to be scared of doing things, then they'll just keep doing things.
Wow really good post thanks

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Fantastic read, Umbreon. Judging by the 'No Johns' segment, I'd say you missed your calling as a motivational speaker, ha. Seriously, though, eloquently put and well executed article. And, I might add, great advice for brand-spanking new players as well as vets. Keep doin' what you're doin', man.

havaianas71

Smash Rookie
how do i play with friends and players who are hesitant to try out with me pleading doesnt operate basically wondering them doesnèt function, as well as attempting to moneymatch them doesnt operate

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Great read. That last part about applying it to life was inspiring and very true.

I'm going to have to disagree on the "sticking to 1 character" though. The top 5 melee players main at least 2:

Mango- Fox, Falco
Armada- Peach, Young Link
M2K- Marth, Shiek
Dr. PP- Falco, Marth
Hbox- Puff, Ness

Having a secondary compliments your main's tough matchups.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
Great read. That last part about applying it to life was inspiring and very true.

I'm going to have to disagree on the "sticking to 1 character" though. The top 5 melee players main at least 2:

Mango- Fox, Falco
M2K- Marth, Shiek
Dr. PP- Falco, Marth
Hbox- Puff, Ness

And all of them got good in the first place playing exclusively one character. Did any of the top 5 at any point have multiple mains while not already in the top 5?

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
M2K was a dominant player in 2007 playing exclusively Marth, and switched to his triple maining later. Armada, PP, and Hbox all rose to prominence with exclusively their mains. I thought Mango just played Puff at Pound 3 (I would say that tournament confirmed him as a nationally dominant player). But if he played Falco back then, then I suppose that's one counterexample. A new player who wants to get good is still much better off playing one character, because until you're as good with your main as one of the top 5 is with theirs matchups aren't your problem.

D

Deleted member

Mango- Fox, Falco
M2K- Marth, Shiek
Dr. PP- Falco, Marth
Hbox- Puff, Ness

those are top 5 players. when you're a top 5 player, you can tell me all about how thankful you were that i made you stick to one character.

d z

Smash Cadet

Mango- Fox, Falco
M2K- Marth, Shiek
Dr. PP- Falco, Marth
Hbox- Puff, Ness

All of these players made it to the top with only one character (with the possible exception of m2k, but to me he became a top player with just Fox. Even if you do count m2k, if your plan is to dedicate as much time as m2k did to this game in order to learn multiple chars, than I'll see you in 10 years). Also has HBox ever even won an important tourney match with Ness? Come on man.

Last edited:

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I can't remember if I read the first part when it first came out, or whether I'm seeing this for the first time. Either way, I read the first few paragraphs, which is about all my attention span can handle. Maybe create a section about that at use me as a "what not to do" example. I'm sure the rest of this was good. Thanks.

Bones0

Smash Legend
how do i play with friends and players who are hesitant to try out with me pleading doesnt operate basically wondering them doesnèt function, as well as attempting to moneymatch them doesnt operate
Just go to local tournaments where virtually everyone will be willing to play at least a few games with you. There is a pinned thread with Facebook groups for each region, and you can also check Tournament Listings for upcoming tournaments.

tm

Smash Ace
Amazing read. Well articulated, and the content gets down to the nitty-gritty (which most people fail at talking about).

Thanks Umbreon :)

SAUS

Smash Ace
When your in a match what do you think about to beat your opponent?
Before a match, I try to recollect all the information I know about the matchup and my opponent (if I know how they play). This is why writing it all down is handy. You can remember it much quicker and more easily (and more accurately). For me, I try to remember what to focus on, what I want to be doing in the neutral game, and what things represent me winning (not just stocks, but something more like getting a space animal to 40 damage so they get knocked down is a huge win for me).

Always have the attitude that you can win, and that you WILL win. Confidence is extremely important. I try to look for habits my opponent exhibits (usually with tech patterns, but with Link, it is important to see what they do with all the different things you can do with projectiles). Focus, focus, focus. You need to be in the match at all times. If you even start thinking "I need to focus on this match", you are not focused. It's hard to do all the time, but it's very important.

Don't doubt yourself - even if you have a bad match, or bad stock, keep your confidence. If you get nervous, take a deep breath and try to pay attention to important things, like your opponent's habits and play style.

Mango- Fox, Falco
M2K- Marth, Shiek
Dr. PP- Falco, Marth
Hbox- Puff, Ness

I probably shouldn't be speaking for said players, but from my observations they all really have a single main.
Mango - Fox
Armada - Peach
M2K - Sheik
Dr. PP - Falco
Hbox - Puff
Occasionally, its gets switched up, but these are the sort of go to characters in the long run. At least, in GF/WF/LF I'll see those characters picked for most matches. maybe I'd see an occasional M2K Marth against pp Falco, but it goes to Sheik in the long term. I think Dr.PP wants a viable Marth and Mango I dunno about fox/falco switch. In the end, I see Fox most often.

Last edited:

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Removing emotion from my play is proving to be one of the most difficult things I've tried to do in my life, lol. I've got an idea of how to go about it, but it's so difficult. :(

Zizzy

Smash Rookie
Removing emotion from my play is proving to be one of the most difficult things I've tried to do in my life, lol. I've got an idea of how to go about it, but it's so difficult. :(
I wanted to reply just to commend you because Collette Brunelle is one of my favorite characters from my absolute favorite game. It might seem a little unrelated, but to control your emotions maybe you can try zen meditation or transcendental meditation.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Hahaha, I love her a ton too. Tales of Symphonia is sooooooo good.

What I've started doing is trying to focus less and less on thoughts that don't help me directly in the match. "Oh if I beat him, X" or "God I hate Y matchup." I just clear my mind of everything but the screen in front of me. Deep breaths in between stocks or before games help too. They help a LOT.

@Doctor: I find that being able to hear game sounds is really valuable for me, and the outside world doesn't distract me that much.

Last edited:

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if there were enough audio cues to pick up on to make a noticeable difference. Everything has an animation, but not everything has a distinguishable sound effect. At least that's my view on it.

Cestus

Smash Cadet
I personally disagree only with Rule #2. Plenty of great players have multiple characters. You can absolutely benefit from playing multiple characters, getting a perspective from both angles and learning more because of it. To say you can only play one character is fair in mastery but rules out so much potential for improvement and learning. I'm obviously aware nobody is forced to follow these, just voicing my opinion.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I personally disagree only with Rule #2. Plenty of great players have multiple characters. You can absolutely benefit from playing multiple characters, getting a perspective from both angles and learning more because of it. To say you can only play one character is fair in mastery but rules out so much potential for improvement and learning. I'm obviously aware nobody is forced to follow these, just voicing my opinion.
This is something that has already been argued. The point though is that for really dramatic and meaningful learning, sticking to one character is useful because you take the time to learn all of the game through one char and you can dig deeper and deeper into the higher level play faster by focusing on the tools of one character.

Plenty of great players do play multiple characters now, but did they start off learning multiple characters? Mango started only playing Puff, Mew2king started only playing Fox, Peepee started only playing Falco, Armada started only playing Peach, etc., etc.

Point is not that not learning multiple characters is bad, but trying to have a serious secondary or tertiary before you've even hit an upper-mid level in skill is really detrimental to your growth speed.

Cestus

Smash Cadet
This is something that has already been argued. The point though is that for really dramatic and meaningful learning, sticking to one character is useful because you take the time to learn all of the game through one char and you can dig deeper and deeper into the higher level play faster by focusing on the tools of one character.

Plenty of great players do play multiple characters now, but did they start off learning multiple characters? Mango started only playing Puff, Mew2king started only playing Fox, Peepee started only playing Falco, Armada started only playing Peach, etc., etc.

Point is not that not learning multiple characters is bad, but trying to have a serious secondary or tertiary before you've even hit an upper-mid level in skill is really detrimental to your growth speed.
I absolutely agree with that, just specific to what step in development you are in. For new players, learn one character first, master them. :)

Top Bottom