• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Ball Movie

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.. that trailer made it seem like they took the Dragon Ball characters' names and made their own crappy movie out of it. I mean seriously, that trailer looked nothing like DB. Driving is for losers. Flying is the only way to travel. I think they should've made it a comedy instead.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Chow Yun-Fat trying to portray a SERIOUS Roshi?

Man, and I thought making Piccolo a white vampire was a stupid idea. I'm tempted to say this looks worse than the Watchmen trailer.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It isn't really much an adaptation of DBZ so much as it is "INSPIRED BY THE WORKS OF AKIRA TORIYAMA!" They got some of the character names correct, and then made up the rest.

Funnily enough, I was STILL willing to give this movie a chance until I saw Piccolo. Wait, don't tell me, he isn't even an ALIEN, he's just some kind of terrestrial monster.

I mean, I can understand them not including the likes of Oolong and Puar, and EVEN gave them the benefit of the doubt when they said that Krillin wouldn't be appearing, because sometimes characters just don't belong in a specific story, and Oolong and Puar would have been some seriously budget-draining CGI.

But come on. Piccolo is an ALIEN, and he's GREEN. I don't mind if he's the bad guy of the movie, because Piccolo was Goku's enemy for a while. But come on. If he's not green and an alien, he isn't Piccolo at all.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
All I saw from the trailer was a stereotypical kung-fu movie with names ripped off from Dragonball.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Who the hell is Mai? Why is there a kissing scene in a Dragon ball movie? Why is Goku and adult? WHY THE HELL ARE THEY MAKING THIS MOVIE?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I mean, I can understand them not including the likes of Oolong and Puar, and EVEN gave them the benefit of the doubt when they said that Krillin wouldn't be appearing, because sometimes characters just don't belong in a specific story, and Oolong and Puar would have been some seriously budget-draining CGI.
I agree on Puar and Oolong. The original Dragonball was a comedy/parody based on an ancient Chinese legend, Journey to the West. These two characters, especially Oolong, were mostly comic relief. Oolong and Puar would not have fit in the type of "serious" tone presented for the film, not to mention they would be ugly-*** CGI monsters. Kuririn (or Krillin, for English purists), is better lft out of this insult (in the original Dragonball, I always kinda liked Kuririn more than Goku).

The film Piccolo is more based on Piccolo Daimo from the first manga series, so I can forgive him for not being an Alien, as he didn't know at this time either, but him being ghastly WHITE?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Who the hell is Mai? Why is there a kissing scene in a Dragon ball movie? Why is Goku and adult? WHY THE HELL ARE THEY MAKING THIS MOVIE?
Even if it's called Dragonball, the fact that Goku is an adult means that this is "INSPIRED BY" Dragonball Z, and not the original series. And if I remember correctly, the movie also goes through how Goku and Chi-Chi end up together, so that would explain the kissing, I assume.

Too bad Fox didn't just put Mr. Popo in the movie. They'd be brought down in lawsuits so quickly they'd abandon the movie before it could've even gotten this far.

ChibiLoner

Smash Cadet
Pre-screening spoilers if anyone is interested: http://s9.zetaboards.com/liveactionanime/topic/7033038/1/

Apparently Master Roshi's pervertedness was axed to make it more suitable for children. Or something like that. Meh.
Master Roshi without the pervertedness means it's not Master Roshi. >_< I really don't know how this film will really turn out...

Though according to everything said in that review... I think if we could go into seeing this film without thinking of Dragonball, it may be somewhat enjoyable. I am still quite a DB/Z fan, so I know I'll plan to go see it, whether I like it or not. =P ::shrugs:: As someone said, it really does seem like it will be an action movie with Dragonball references/names and such. It may not be awesome, but to be honest, the name is what will be pulling me in to seeing it.

Top Bottom